Why I don't Want Any More Seasons

^
This, absolutely.

1 Like

Anyone remember this poll?

Nope. I ignore 3/4’s of all polls on these forums :thumbsup:

2 Likes

My apologies if I misunderstood your post, are you implying you would want this one to be the last KI game?

I might have phrased it poorly. I don’t really care if it gets a sequel, but if that happens it should be after this game has really run its course, and I personally would rather see IG do something else. I would approach a KI sequel, regardless of the developer, the same way I approach any new FG release–learn about how it plays, and see if I’m interested from there. My interest in KI as a series starts with this game, I have no attachment to KI as a brand.

2 Likes

It’s not a matter of speed. In SFV there are tons of super fast light normals that look great. It’s a matter of design and how much work goes into every little animation. If you animate a kick it’s not just about the leg, every part of the body is involved. Small details like the facial expression, fingers movement, hip and ankle rotation, make the animation feel smooth and in character.

I really don’t think S1 animations looked better for the lack of hitstop, cuz they still look better than most of S2 and S3 cast’s.

To me, the gap between DH an IG in that department was clear as soon as I saw TJ and Maya in action. Still IG has pulled off some great animations and I wish they could have been more consistent.

Let’s say in my scale Wulf’s animations are a 10 I would rate the best IG characters like so:

Kan-ra 7.5
Riptor 9
Hisako 9.5
Aria 8.5
Gargos 8.5
Eyedol 8.5
Rash 8.5
Mira 7.5

We don’t have a philosophical disagreement. I never said it was about “speed” but in the context of the post I was responding to (which was about adding frames of animation), it’s important to point out that in a 3D game displaying st 60fps, a move that takes 1 second has 60 frames of animation while one that takes 2 second has 120 frames. You don’t add or subtract frames of animation like you would with hand drawn or pixel animation. This is very different from something like SF, where (regardless of aesthetic preferences) you can look at a move in SF3 and point out it has double or triple the frames (hand drawn pictures) of a similar animation in SF2 or SF Alpha. More frames = better animation for hand drawn sprites but lousy animation and good animation have identical frames in 3D fighters. So we are looking at something else.

What you have written is just an elaboration of my original statement:

So then the disagreements about quality of animation in KI are about something other than frames (we agree). The only place we deviate is in what we think of the animations. I wouldn’t put Wulf at the top of the S1 cast, I would probably go with Jago. I think Wulf has some of the best animated jabs in the game, but a lot of his bigger moves suffer from covering a long distance in a short time and ending up in poses and positions that are unnatural. I think his jumping HK is the worst example. You can make a case that it is “well animated” based on the fact that he does a little roll in the air and then sticks his foot out. But when I look at that animation I don’t get any sense of power or movement from it. Ironically, hitstop actually helps with this, but for swifter moves (like jabs) I think it hurts the overall animation because it means a higher percentage of the total move is actually just sitting still.

People can disagree about all this stuff because it’s aesthetic. I think Maya suffers from some wonky animations when it comes to throwing her daggers, and I do think that some of her moves (like her somersault) suffer from having to show very broad movements in a short period of time (you can think of that as speed, I suppose). That, to me, is less about the animation itself and more about the game mechanics they need to use the move for.

I do disagree about TJ Combo though. I see a lot of very good animation in the way he moves his upper body. Yes, his lower body isn’t always doing much, but he is a boxer after all. I just think people are confusing the nature of his fight moves with the quality of his animation. He also suffers from the fact that his model doesn’t have a lot of visual detail to animate. Unlike someone like Kan Ra, who has things hanging all over the place to jangle around, TJ just doesn’t. If he had long hair they could flip around or some such, it would be a lot easier to add the kind of visual detail that makes animations pop. But that’s just the way it is. SF V gave Balrog/Vega/Boxer his hoodie probably for this exact reason.

Again, people will always have these differences and I’m not trying to convince you or say your views on animation are wrong. I just think there’s a lot of aesthetic preference involved in these discussions.

As a final thought, if people want to compare animations between games (which is fine with me) or even between characters, make sure to compare similar moves. You can’t look at Chun-Li’s idle animation and compare it to Maya’s dagger throw. Similarly, you can’t compare Riptor’s clever girl or tail flip to TJ’s uppercut.

4 Likes

Agree with all the post, but I’m an ■■■■■■■ and I have an extreme nitpick note here:

M. Bison in Japan/Balrog in the rest of the world/Boxer universally

Vega in Japan/M. Bison in the rest of the world/Dictator universally

Balrog in Japan/Vega in the rest of the world/Claw universally

Kill me, I deserve it.

Also kill Capcom for all this nonsense XD

5 Likes

Isn’t Vega a spanish last name? If so, was Dictator (M. Bison in U.S.) meant to be spanish? (btw I know Claw aka Vega in U.S. is from spain)

Wasn’t M. Bison the original name for Balrog, but they changed it because naming a boxer guy that looked like Mike Tyson, “Mike Bison” was just a little too on the nose? Or is that just an urban legend?

2 Likes

Nah, that’s pretty much why.

It is, and has some variances(de la Vega, Vega-Barbas, Vega de Armijo…).

In Spain, we use name, and two surnames(or family names). For example, Luis Fernández Pérez is:
Luis(Given name)
Fernández(family name, from the father)
Pérez(Family name, from the mother)

There are also compound names and surnames, like Jose Luis de la Vega Valle-Inclán

Name: Jose Luis
First family name: de la Vega
Second family name: Valle-Inclán

PD: My name and surnames are not any of this XD

Japan:
Vega took his name from the Star from the constellation of Lyra
M. Bison took his name from Mike Tyson(both boxer, phisically similar)
Balrog took his name from the Demon.

They switch them because Capcom was concered about Tyson demanding them when the game was launched worldwide

2 Likes

Yep, it’s true.

Death Battle stated it was because of his rape scandal back in 91, same year as SFII’s release. Dunno if its true, fun “fact” though.

2 Likes

Oh no kidding? I just assumed it was due to the fact that they were basically using his name and likeness (or really close to it) without his permission. That makes sense though.

1 Like

I agree with this.

but if people stopped playing at S2 then they were crazy lol

I think that the Hex Engine being so restricting is one of the reasons why I would want them to make a sequel because then they would have more freedom when developing a game. Then again, I don’t know the details as to how and why the Hex Engine stops them.

1 Like

i think we all asume that the hex engine is awful!

but we dont know!

I think its alright! KI is def the best fighter ive played.

SF and MK are both on unreal and still i think KI is the better game.

2 Likes

Of course but like I said, I’m not sure why the Hex is such a problem.

KI looks and plays well yet how would it be better and or different if it was on Unreal 4?

1 Like

Good question!! I’d like to hear people answer how it would be better?

1 Like