Why are People hating on Shadow Orchid!?

Eh, I like Belladonna a lot better than Nightshade, the name Nightshade just reminds me of uk Gladiators.

Just because we know what it stands for, doesnā€™t mean others wonā€™t surmise otherwise.

Those people would be wrong though. Being ignorant is no excuse.

Hmmm, an idea just crossed my mind. What if Ultratech captured and attempted to weaponize orchid? Like a weapon X sort of program.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ something like that seems to already be hinted at in the KI novelsā€¦

Your first reason was sound, but the last two made no sense. Number 2 would contradict the existence of Kilgore, and Number 3 just sounds like youā€™re against it because itā€™s become a popular vote amongst the community. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with people loving Orchid.

Kilgore is also a clone character, like Shadow Orchid would be and Shadow Jago is, just not in the same sense as those.

Listen up guys, Fulgoreā€™s shadow is Kilgore. Thunderā€™s shadow is Eagle. Orchidā€™s shadow is JOANNA DARK.

2 Likes

No way. Why do you think Thunderā€™s shadow is Eagle?..

Why wouldnā€™t Thunderā€™s shadow be Eagle? Heā€™s been searching for him all this time.

Fulgore takes after eagle so heā€™s likely going to be similar to the him.

So you say that Eagle will be ANOTHER Fulgore cloneā€¦ letā€™s hope not.

They problem is now thoughā€¦once Shadow Orchid has been mentionedā€¦she can never be unmentionedā€¦

It reminds me of how in Marvel super heroes vs street fighter, there was a secret boss clone character called ā€œShadowā€ who was basically a buffed Nash/Charlie from Xmen vs street fighter (the previous marvel vs game), and in Marvel Vs Capcom 1, there was a boss character called ā€œShadow Ladyā€ that was a shadow of chunli with some crazy super gundam robot missile attacks.

They are notorious and will go down in historyā€¦so will the legend of Shadow Orchid XD

He probably wonā€™t have lasers or a teleport. If you drop the hitech shenanigans. Heā€™ll likely be different.

Probably more so like Mira than Shago.

Why does Thunder looking for his brother equate to his brother being his shadow? Couldnā€™t they still be completely unique, different characters?

Iā€™m hoping that Eagleā€™s not a remix of any character. I get that Eagleā€™s fighting style in the lore sparked the design for Fulgore. I respect that, so maybe a few nods to Fulgore, like certain mannerisms, would be a nice touch. But Eagle is arguably the biggest lore character left. To have him be a shadow or a remix or whatever, of any other characterā€¦ Yeah I donā€™t like that idea.

If they go ahead and do it, Iā€™ll at least hope that they do it well. But just as a concept, before seeing anything look or gameplay related, I donā€™t love the idea on the surface and would hope that they go a different, more unique route instead.

Iā€™ve honestly expected him to be a remix since I first heard of him (I just started learning about KI lore this year, mind you). Once we had evidence that the playable Fulgore unit ISNā€™T actually Eagle, Iā€™ve been waiting for the semi-Thunder/Fulgore clone to hit the roster. Iā€™m honestly still pretty convinced that Eagle is gonna show up sharing Fulgore and Thunderā€™s buttons, with his own handful of animations where cost allows. Unpopular opinion, but in general Iā€™m a fan of remixes.

Recycling animations can go a really really long way in a fighting game, considering time and budgetary constraints. If they can actually expand the roster with three examples of unique gameplay, and perhaps introduce a fresh character mechanic or so, then my hat is off to them. Fulgore has a handful of good animations that would look cool and sensible from a Thunder-esque frame, though, like his st.HK, sweep>launch, and cr.HP. Some others could look good as well (such as f.HP or Blade Dash) but would be in poor taste, as they are already making cameos in another remix. They could even rework Thunderā€™s [3P] into a more compelling and focused mechanic, which would be neat. That animation is criminally underused.

All of this is not to say I donā€™t wish the Magic Money and Effort Faerie would visit them one fortuitous night, cuz theyā€™ve been such wonderful game-developers this year - I just donā€™t believe in the faefolk.

And Iā€™m always against rehashing a rehash - no reason for Shorchid for do the whole ā€œblue-skinned-demon-possessionā€ thing - for clarity.

2 Likes

No problem man, like what you like. :slight_smile: I also enjoy the remixes, as it gives us a new take on an existing character. I think Shago looks cool and heā€™s also insanely fun to use. Kilgore seems really fun as well.

Iā€™m just saying that as a lore character, itā€™d be kinda cool if he were more his own thing, even with the obvious influences. Iā€™d prefer that to a remix in this particular situation, but if they made him a remix instead? Iā€™d be okay so long as he looked cool and played well.

2 Likes

I see where youā€™re coming from, and given his legacy I canā€™t disagree that he sort of ā€œdeservesā€ to be his own thing. On the other hand though, he has already influenced so much of the lore that has a direct impact on gameplay, and sorta visa-versa (in that some gameplay has strong implications for his lore). I also donā€™t see much issue in the frame recycling, considering he is Thunderā€™s brother. They are almost doomed to sort of look alike (though they may end up having totally different body types and I hope faces, who knows!?) but I think I might be a little disappointed if the uninitiated couldnā€™t look at Eagle and ask themselves is he is Thunderā€™s brother. I know they arenā€™t twins, but stillā€¦ and before anyone counters w/ our extant siblings, they are half-siblings of different genders of which one wears a mask, nobody should expect such levels of similitude from them (Jago & Orchid).

I guess what Iā€™m getting at is Eagle is actually a case where I think we can have our cake AND touch the icing - I donā€™t think itā€™d be too difficult for them to ā€œremixā€ such animations and models and voicework (thatā€™s gonna be the kicker) so as to result in what is technically a remix but looks and feels very much like a brand new character, like ā€œhis own thingā€ as it were. If itā€™s doable at all, itā€™s doable with Eagle, and I really hope that was their thought process too.

@TheKeits
I think I speak for a whole heap of us when I express appreciation for introducing ā€œRemixā€ into our FG archetypal lexicon. It fits places where ā€œcloneā€ sounds both untrue and insulting w/o being either, and it gives me a reason to use a tasty word that usually means ā€œmusic I wish I hadnā€™t suffered throughā€. Thanks a billion, pally. Youā€™ve always got our best interest in mind. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ey, since Eagle and Thunder are brothers, letā€™s make Eagle the shadow Thunder!!

Also,since Orchid and Jago are siblings,letā€™s rework Jago into Shadow Orchid!

Everybody wins!!!

*Sarcasm ends here

NO

3 Likes

Very true. I see this, from a lore perspective, as a very good reason why there should be some form of nod or commonality between Thunder-Eagle-Fulgore. Maybe Eagle gets Thunderā€™s phoenix projectile, maybe he uses the phrase that Thunder uses during triplax for a different attack.

I also think that certain mannerisms between Fulgore and Eagle could be shared to help emphasize that influence, like maybe Eagle holds his fist out in a similar way to Fulgore for his taunt. Maybe they share similar animations for a few of their normals, etc.

As far as looks go, I could see Eagle having similar facial features to Thunder. That makes sense. Eyes, jaw line, etc. But I wouldnā€™t want them to share the same body unless they want to come right out and say that theyā€™re identical twins.

I think thatā€™s very possible, I agree, but just because they have that opportunity, does that automatically mean IG should take it? I mean, I guess it comes down to how much of a ā€œremixā€ character Eagle would be, right?

If heā€™s just Thunderā€™s body, with different accessories and shrunken down, using Fulgoreā€™s rig, and he basically has a few of Thunderā€™s moves and few of Fulgoreā€™s moves, with one or two of his own thrown in thereā€¦ I canā€™t say Iā€™m for that idea. Not on someone that means so much to the lore.

But if they can give him a largely unique look and move set, with only some nods and reused animations here and there that help denote his influences as well as who heā€™s influenced? I think thatā€™d be a great idea.

I think the easiest way to summarize that is by saying that thereā€™s a line between being an original character with some influences and a remix character with some individuality. Where is that line? Who honestly knows. Itā€™s different for everyone, Iā€™m sure, especially in a case like this where you really want them to have some influences from a lore standpoint.

I think itā€™ll be interesting to see what they do with him, especially considering the fact that his background is listed as boxing and wrestling, if Iā€™m not mistaken. I feel like I saw that somewhere. Iā€™d be curious to know how any of that would influence Fulgore or be influenced by Thunder, so who knows. Maybe they go in an entirely different direction with him.

Either way, whatever they decide, Iā€™ll be happy to have him in this game as a playable character. :slight_smile:

1 Like