What are you playing?

Look dude, have the courage to ask what you really want to ask.

“Do they have a horde/zombies/survival mode of some sort?”

:joy:

1 Like

Lol leave me alone, I just want my horde/zombies/survival mode :sob:

But… I was actually hoping it had a survival mode implemented somehow, though, not like @TheNinjaOstrich’s definition of survival, hah.

I was asking for it to be well-written. I’ll agree that the banter between BT and Cooper was solid, even if I always tended to pick the more boring answers. But c’mon, why is it just a foregone conclusion that the gameplay matters and the story doesn’t when talking about a campaign that actually tells a story? I mean, if you want to put that little value on the story then just have it be a series of rooms or open areas where you blast stuff and call it a survival mode.

Obviously gameplay matters and it should matter, it should be the chief concern of the developers, but can’t the story matter to the extent that we expect a bit more from that as well? Is it asking too much to have both? I mean, if you’re going to bother telling a story, then can it least be good or surprising or entertaining if we’re going to call the campaign “exceptional?”

I really don’t see why everything is held to a high standard except for this one thing. If Mass Effect had great gameplay and the story was mediocre, people wouldn’t love it as much. Of course, it’s in a genre that’s supposed to be more story-centric, so we wouldn’t give that game a free pass. But why give this a free pass just because it’s in a genre that doesn’t typically tell good stories?

Obviously, I’m not saying that Titanfall’s story should rival Mass Effects. That’s not why I brought it up. I’m just saying that if you’re going to do something, do it well. If you want to entertain me with both gameplay and a story, then I’d like for both of them to be good and well, entertaining, regardless of the genre. I’m not asking for Shakespeare here, and I don’t think that’s the wrong way to play a game. I feel like I already make compromises on the story with certain genres, but I still like to think that I have a threshold and I don’t think Titanfall 2 meets that, especially if we’re heaping praise on the campaign for being one of the best in years.

As for the gameplay, I know that I come from a weird place here. I’m not a big shooter fan. I don’t hate them, but I get bored of them quickly because it feels like they’ve been largely the same for the most part over the last ten years. Gross generalization aside, while I think the mobility is fun, any shooting that happens around it feels like a faster version of something I’ve already been playing for years. This is why I enjoy the Titan aspect, as I think it adds a fun and unique flavor.

Ol no, my definition of survival is the same as yours, but playing it so much, I’ve burnt myself out of it. Have you noticed I haven’t really played Horde mode in Gears 4? Don’t get me wrong, it’s amazing, but like I’ve said, I burnt myself playing games similar to a horde mode.

(COD, Gears, Any wave-Clear game… etc.)

So I like to play variants of it, which is probably what you mean by “My definition.”

Just to give you an idea of how burnt out I am:

Last COD game I’ve ever owned: Black Ops 2.

Well…

Tomorrow I will be playing Pokemon Sun!

NOW LET IT COME OUT ALREADY!!!

I NEED IT!

2 Likes

Friend code sharing is a must.

1 Like

1 Like

Pokemon: Sun and Moon remind me of this…

4 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Same as mine he says

[quote="TheNinjaOstrich]
Kinda. How does, "Bounty Placed on your head, with three other players
actively trying to kill you as well as the police on your trail in San
Francisco sound? [/quote]

You fool!

I’m kidding, I get you dude, it can be overbearing if every single game has a similar mode like this. I suppose I just like the additional contnent even if it does seem recycled. I love tower-based defense or just survival modes in the forms of waves. I can put so many hours but also just get a quick game in. That’s why I love KI. True survivals like The Long Dark take a toll on me so I can only play them every so often. Bounties and pvp are fun survivals but I’ve since lost the passion for online competition.

Variations branch out from what we are accustomed to so I get what you mean as survival can come in many forms depending on the theme of the game. That’s why I sometimes jump on Fallout’s Hardcore mode to get my fix on survival, as it is a great shift from the overdone.

Anyway, I was just messing, didn’t mean to come off as spiteful or something. I have very dry humor.

See, here’s me digging up some good jokes!

1 Like

It comes out tomorrow!? Dear goodness I forgot!

1 Like

Lol, well here is some more dry humor for you:

4 Likes

Are you getting it at somepoint?

It also apparently got ten million pre-orders.

That’s beautiful :sweat_smile:

I was hoping to get it on release but if it got that much pre-orders, it probably means that I won’t be getting it on release.

1 Like

I’d like to submit the above as examples of dry humor.

They were once examples of good humor, but have since evaporated or been eaten.

3 Likes

Pokemon Moon too, yes? :wink: :slight_smile:

If you want it digitally btw it needs a lot of space. I learned that the hard way.

Not at launch. But sooner or later, yeah I’ll get that too.

1 Like

So now are you planning to get Pokemon Sun and Moon once they come out tomorrow or have you already pre-ordered the all-new Pokemon games, Kev?

Why though? Why is it the wrong restaurant? Who decided at some point that shooters could have mediocre stories and that’s okay even when they’re trying to tell you a story? And by that I don’t mean it’s just trying to provide you with a brief context for your mission. There’s talking through this entire campaign.

Again, I’m not expecting gold here. I don’t sit down and watch Fast and Furious movies with the same level of critical analysis that I watch Rear Window or The King’s Speech or whatever. I can compartmentalize, I can put myself in a frame of mind that allows me to analyze something within the context of what it is. It’s why I can look at the story in Mortal Kombat games and be entertained and excited about them, even if I know that comparing them to The Usual Suspects or Key Largo would be ludicrous.

I’m saying that even in the context of the genre and what I expect from a game, the story in this game fails me, and that’s a pretty low bar to clear. But beyond that, I’m also saying that given how new this genre is in relation to other genres and even other mediums, I don’t see why the bar needs to be that low in the first place, especially for a campaign that people are touting and speaking so highly of.

I’ll grant that this is still a growing medium in terms of how it weaves story in to gameplay and what kind of stories it wants to tell without stepping in to the whole “games as art” conversation or games versus other mediums and I probably shouldn’t have even gone there at all, but I still think that having the context be “ninjas kidnapped the president” or whatever as set dressing for a beat em up was okay in the 8 bit era or the 16 bit era, but if you’re going to give me a campaign in a modern game and you’re going to tell me a serious story throughout, I don’t think it’s horribly unreasonable to ask that it be good too and not just set dressing, especially given how much is there.

If you’re okay with it being just set dressing, then that’s totally fine. But for something that tells a story throughout the game to be the best campaign in years, I personally need for it to be better than what I got here. I still enjoyed my experience, but finding the characters bland, tropey or clichéd and the story to be exceedingly predictable and less than memorable didn’t do much to convince me of the greatness of this campaign.

Again, that’s just my opinion and my own personal criteria. If your criteria is different, that’s completely okay by me.

No. I am Digimon fanboy…

@MandrillManiac Pokemon is suck! :smiley:
*runs away