Ultra SF2 coming to the Nintendo Switch

Oh no problem man! I wasn’t trying to come off like I was bothered. I just saw your reply and was like “wait, Violent Ken was in CvS? I don’t remember that…” and then went to check out of curiosity. Sorry if I came off poorly there.

It’s all good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks pretty suspect to me. The pace is incredibly slow (it’s not ST speed, but rather it looks like World Warriors speed? which is… not good), and SF2 is a really broken game that I don’t think will appeal to modern players (several legit 9-1 matchups existed and you needed a huge counter-pick roster to have a chance in tournaments). They said it was a rebalance, and they added things like throw teching (which is a huge, huge change from ST), so who knows.

I’m also pretty upset they changed the announcer away from the legacy ST announcer to something that sounds terrrrrrrrible, and they changed all the voice clips (so now when Sagat shoots tiger shots, he sounds like SF4 Sagat instead of old Sagat). Maybe that’s a menu option somewhere though.

I dunno. Maybe P2 will be able to pick rematch on the menu though! We can only hope for such progressive advances in our beloved genre.

1 Like

I peed a little.

2 Likes

Why dalsm so… pale.

This is the most frustrating thing to me. I think there’s actually a lot of value in an updated version of SF2, if done right. You could bring the incredibly fun pace of SF2 to modern players, while making the game just a tad less broken. The problem is twofold: one, WOW it’s slow. And two, they’re still using those amazingly ugly udon sprites, so mainstream players are never going to give it the time of day. They’ve essentially condemned the game to be a novelty–you might buy it if you’re hardcore into FGs, or are just looking for a nostalgia trip, but mainstream consumers aren’t going to see that art and think “yeah, this is worth my 40 bucks.”

You can pick the sprites and I think sounds too the original. But definitely you can shange the sprites.

Yes, and that’s great for fans of sprite art or people looking for a nostalgia trip, but the original graphics of SF2 aren’t going to catch a modern consumer any more than the udon sprites.

Not paying $40 for this in a filthy casuals console Kappa
Anyway, SF2 already had an HD remix back in the day. I can play that on Fightcade any time I want.

I thought this’d be based on that rebalance that Sirlin was involved with? Was that trash?

Anyway, I wouldn’t expect a modern Street Fighter or anything with any major original production effort on the Switch, seeing as though we’re talking about Capcom, the fighting game genre in 2016, and Sony’s cash injection into V. If this isn’t trash in ways that people more familiar with II’s legacy than myself can pick out, then it’s not unthinkable that I’d fork out $5 for it. (It’s probably going to cost more than $5, isn’t it?)

That said, I’m not sure I can stomach four hundred and seventy kangaroo dollars for the Switch. I mean, it’s for Zelda so I kinda have to, but I’m not stupid, Nintendo, I know how to apply exchange rates.

The less that’s talked about that game, the better I think. Most/all of the hardcore community rejected it wholly for a few different reasons. One is that the balance wasn’t really that much better than ST proper, just kinda shifted around based on Sirlin’s whim, often with really puzzling design choices mixed in with some decent ideas (I am not an ST guru so the particulars of this I have to defer to others). I think they decided if they were going to play a game as broken as ST, they might as well just actually play ST. But I think the more primary reason is that Sirlin is just a very… shall we say, controversial person and the scene didn’t want to deal with his personality. I’ve personally had several direct run-ins with Sirlin over a few of his different board games, stories of which I will tell you if I ever meet you offline (or you’re interested enough to send me a PM).

To give you an idea, Sirlin had talked at length about how much he had been internally testing/balancing the game and how great of a redesign of ST it was going to be. After this, he released a demo of the game with just Ryu and Ken (iirc) as kind of a first beta. A local friend of mine, who is very good at the old school games, sat down and within 30 seconds he found an infinite stun loop involving Ken’s DP. The demo, which presumably was built to show off a classic shoto battle under the new Sirlin vision, was comically broken, and while it wasn’t in the final version, I’m not sure the game recovered in the FGC at large.

I think I’ll ppass tempting as it is, I’ve kinda grown burned out with SF. Still nice to see it giving you a chance to play with your friends and curb stomp someone, lol

I believe on the treehouse stream they said it would be 40USD.

I’m not either, but things like giving ryu a fake fireball and making honda’s headbutt puff fireballs just sound like obviously bad ideas.

Am I the only who thought, other than E. Ryu and V. Ken, they could have also at least thrown in the Cyborg from that SFII Movie Game?

For those who are unaware, there was a video game based from the SFII Movie which was released for the PS1 and Sega Saturn in 1995. Basically, you get to play as one of the cyborgs and your goal is to take pictures of fighters doing moves (e.g.: Ryu doing a Shoryuken) . Why is that so? There is a point system. The number of points you gain largely depends on how well did you take pictures. And why is there a point system you may ask? Because at the end of the game, you get to face Ryu, in complete SSFII Turbo gameplay, as seen in the pictures above. The more points you have, the more strong is the Cyborg.

They could throw in Gouken too, under the name of SHENG LONG as a shout-out.

1 Like

To my great shame I bought this on sale for the PS2 thinking it would be a laugh a good number of years ago, but good lord it’s awful, as in “this is hard to play but really not worth the effort” awful. I dug it out and played it when I was off sick from work last year and it actually made me feel worse.

Also, the comments on the youtube trailer say it all, it’s a port of a remake of an enhanced edition of an enhanced edition of an enhanced edition, and it really does feel like Capcom made a vow 25 years ago to ensure that every console ever gets a port of SF2.

At this point I’m just amazed anyone is actually still buying them. The last time I played SF2 characters and actually enjoyed them was on M.U.G.E.N. until they put Rare Akuma in an actual version of SF2 I’m not much interested.

ROFL. I think this is what the developers were going for when they made SNK vs Capcom. Ouch!

1 Like

Hah, my opinion of Sirlin was already pretty…mixed. I know there’s this massive gulf of dissonance between some of his general writings on competitive play (some of which are pretty good!) and his views on actual games, but I didn’t expect him to so sorely miss the mark on SFII. I suppose I shouldn’t be so surprised.

This I kinda had a sense of via osmosis, and from some of your comments long ago.

I laughed out loud when I saw this.

This actually sounds interesting, they could have done something with this again rather than the tried and tested old ground that is SF2, but I guess that would be too much like actual work. :grinning:

1 Like

At the moment at least is this nothing more than HDRemix with Evil Ryu, Violent Ken and Dramatic battle? I was really surprised Capcom went back to update it just for the switch

Yeah was looking forward to this but didn’t want it for switch. Definitely not gonna get one just to play as Evil Ryu and Violent Ken lol.

Thoughts?