Ultimates Vs Our Expectations

They both have some moments of darkness as well as humor. But I just don’t see how you can seem to think the newer game are more cartoonish than the older. Especially when you look at many of the characters individual back stories and the lore behind them. Spinal’s back story in the new game is pretty damn dark for example as is orchids as it shows how she nearly started going insane during her crusade against ultra tech. The older games had some darker moments such as eyedol and gargos fighting over a pretty much ruined world but for the most part it was pretty campy and had alot more examples of humorous moments as opposed to the new game.

1 Like

I like the ratings that were done a little while back by Wanda, so I’m going throw my opinions out there too. :slight_smile:
Jago: 8.5
Thunder: 7.5
Maya: 7
TJ: 6
Tusk: 9
Sadira: 8.5
Killgore: 7
Fulgore: 8
Riptor: 8.5
Shadow Jago: 8

Can’t wait for the next one! Loved what I’ve seen so far.

Well…

I don’t think you’re a bad guy, but calling a developer’s work lazy and un-creative isn’t a very respectful thing to say, especially when developers work extremely long hours in an extremely volatile field and they take the time to interact with us.

Granted, that doesn’t absolve them from any and all criticism. Every one of us has let our displeasure be known about any number of aspects of the game, but there’s a constructive way to do it and there’s what you keep insisting. Maybe when you see the difference between the two, you’ll start to get the gist of why your opinion’s not being met with a ton of enthusiasm and agreement.

It’s not wrong. I’m not a huge fan of the way TJ’s came out because I don’t really think enough is happening in it. See? Did I call it lazy or un-creative? Again, if you’re going to criticize something, be constructive. If you start using words that sounds insulting, expect to get some push back, especially considering the fact that not everyone here agrees with you, which is fine.

Why is this relevant? What does this do to support your argument or provide any form of constructive criticism?

So does every other developer, triple-A or not. Hell, Tekken games traditionally have characters that are borderline duplicates of other characters. MK has traditionally had their palate swap ninjas, SF has its shoto clones. Games reuse assets all the time, why is it such a big deal to you that they do that with Ultimates? Also, I see some new animations in there as well for many of them. Not sure what the big deal is.

Personally, this doesn’t sound like a substantial improvement to me. Spin it a little and it still just looks like a regular punch, spin it too far and it looks cheesy. I appreciate you trying to come up with ideas though. That’s a bit of a tough one for me. Probably was for them too, I’d wager.

Maybe pump the brakes on that a bit? How many people have been talking to you about this, four, five? That’s not exactly a mob. I’ve had several people disagree with me about something and yeah, it can be easy to feel like you’re getting attacked or ganged up on, but we’re just talking about a game. We don’t all have to agree with one another. :slight_smile:

This is another one of those things that are going to draw substantial disagreement from some, simply because it gets brought up from time to time and it’s rarely well supported in terms of arguments.

Both have bright stages, both have dark stages. Both have darker looking ultimate moves, both have lighter natured ultimates. Both have awesome announcer voices. Both have awesome music.

The only thing I’d say that the old KI’s have on the new one is that the pre-match “fight on” screen in the new one, with the 3D models and the background scrolling and the Vs logo etc all comes off brighter than the original KI, which had the black background, silver Vs logo, and those cool, darker looking FMVs of each character. I really do wish that this Ki could maybe take that approach here to this screen. Honestly, I’ve been saying that since season one.

What specifically do you see as darker about the first game versus this one?

Honestly, I have nothing wrong with the off-screen stuff. I’m not really sure what people’s issues are with that either. What’s wrong with implying something and leaving it up to the imagination? We know it’s not MK, we know it has a T rating. Is it really better to show what they can show with a T rating and end up with something like MKvsDC fatalities or can we just imply something brutal and put a little style and flash in to it? I think they do a good job with that.

Okay, that’s one example of old KI being darker, I guess, but if you’re asking for non-ambiguous death scenes from a game that can’t show them thanks to the T rating, then what would you have them do? You’ve said that they can show more, but doesn’t it stand to reason that they’re showing what they feel comfortable showing? Why isn’t that enough?

Yeah but… The characters in the old games look like they were made out of silicone or wax. Even back then, how was it more realistic?

Can’t this definition be applied to this game as well? I’d argue that the story takes itself more seriously, the bios, violence etc all qualifies as dark and there’s plenty of violence in this game, whether it’s implied in the ultimates or from character’s bleeding when hit, etc. If six things don’t make the old game silly and non-dark, what makes this game more silly and non-dark than the old ones?

Honestly, this sounds like nostalgia to me. Can you explain why it isn’t?

5 Likes

I think it really depends. I think they all honestly are all kill moves. No one survives being bruned to ash like Fulgore’s laser beam, and Riptor’s Ultimate, Maya pushes a guy’s face into the daggers, and Tusk well we can hear the sounds of a giant sword running through someone’s body, They may not carry impact that’s as hard hitting, however, it doesn’t mean that the Ultimates are not a final kill finisher. But in this case, it’s all just left to opinion.

Only ones I can think of that might be “survivable” is Jago’s Ultimate as it stands anyway.

also @Iago407 I can agree with you on the old vs new in fact my brother mad esome posts about specific aspects of what’s darker and what isn’t about each game. from my conclusion I think both games are pretty much equal with slight differences. The differences in how the story is handled mostly.

Also what’s funny is I always figured the old KI games were very stylized to, I mean look at TJ’s waste in the old KI, sure we can say it’s a product of the times because back then it was hard to make human anatomy accurate, they tired and it didn’t work out so well, but even as dated as those graphics look now the old KI is still awesome in its own right. As far as new KI goes, I kinda look at the character models somewhat like a comic book style, at least that’s the vibe I ot when I saw the characters move. And honestly I always viewd KI as kind of like that. Not necessarily just cartoony but stylized.

Just like the old KI the stylization just makes the characters really fun to look at MKX is ok in its right, but aside from the ninja characters and kotal, the rest…are kind dull.

In a way both are cartoony in the grounds that they’re all a stylized, even MK was like that before it stuck to “real life” looking anatomy.

Also because you inspired me I’m gonna give my opinion:

Jago: 9
Thunder: 8
Maya: 7
TJ: 5
Tusk: 9
Sadira: 8
Killgore: 10
Fulgore: 10
Riptor: 9.5
Shadow Jago: 9

1 Like

Guys guys!! Look, KI1 was a perfect combination of both realism and cartoony graphics, it was both comical and gritty.

It was, and in my opinion, this KI also hits the mark : D

4 Likes

I think there’s a bit of a post-apocalyptic vibe in the old KI’s story that might give it a dark edge, but a lot of that is probably implied. The story in this game, to me at least, feels much more fleshed out, with characters that have compelling backgrounds and plotlines. I still want more, of course, because I’m a greedy little jerk lol, but the fact that I even want more tells me that they’re doing right by me in that regard.

But yeah, on the whole, I look at each game side by side and line up different categories and honestly, most of them come out even, if not slightly in favor of the new KI. As much as I liked the music in the old games, I think the music in this game is light years ahead of them (for example).

Yeah, KI has always been about that presentation. That sound design mixed with the cool, fun looking characters. Sure, there was a definite note of darkness purveying all aspects of the game, but I think that translated over to this game as well, even if a few of the presentation aspects, like combo fonts, pre-match fight screen, etc could use some polishing in that regard (IMO).

As far as MKX, I think Kotal’s a very cool design, and Erron Black is probably one of my favorite characters since MK2 or Kabal in MK3, but on the whole, it didn’t leave a huge impression on me, which is actually rather strange for me to say as a life-long MK fan.

1 Like

Same. Although IMO I’d say that MKX is my least favorite mk game of all time.

dude! MKX is the shitt! Amazing game…I didnt play Ki for 3 months once MKX came out.

1 Like

It is cool no doubt but it just never grew on me for many reasons.

1 Like

I play both. The issue is that the combos for the games are so different. I need about 10 matches as pratice when I go back and forth. In MK you need to imput the whole combo in before the first hit. KI plays like Tekken as far as combos go. You are putting in the next move as the current one is going. I know there are some exceptions, but that is close.

1 Like

Pretty sure there is an original video back when KI was announced in which Max talks about how dark the game was. The screaming each character did when being attacked and the “fountain of blood” when combos happened. People probably weren’t terrified but both MK and KI were eerie. I mean it’s a game with monsters in it, it should be scary. Sabrewulf win scream was him with blood on his mouth.

2 Likes

Which one the current KI?

Now heres an expansion of the current KI’s dark tone

Getting pulled down into Jigoku (if thats whats happening here) is also pretty dark. This is like the scene with Spinals finisher in the classic KI

Can’t feel the pain. but you are blown to dust.

anyway here is the dark stuff with the old KI.
Bloody floor (either from Riptor’s victims or previous fights.

Riptors No Mercies
The acid spit being, almost like the current KI except this time they burned to complete ashes in the current KI

(I’ll continue to add to it later, beleive this isn’t all of it)

3 Likes

How is that even possible? O_o

I do wish though that the characters in KI 2013 could look a little more realistic.

1 Like

You are not inputting a 20+hit combo. You imput for aboit the first 5-7 hits. Then imput the juggles. It sounds worse than it is.

1 Like

I think this has to do with a stylistic chocie that they went through. But as far as graphics are concern it is a big step than what the oirignal KI did. Alot of the males (and Riptor) had abit of a barrel chest and thin abdomen.

Granted the reason for it was because of the tech back then.

1 Like

Same here Vlad, what I really disliked about the game really was that the mechanics didn’t feel that deep, on that note I wasn’t too fond of most of the new characters, but Kotal Khan was one of the only few I liked, the rest just felt like they got shoe-horned in there…

Speaking of shoe horn, MKX is kind of a sellout for including so many guests and they’re not even from a game no less.

Even so it can be pretty good fun in small doses.

Yeah but he screamed and cried like a puppy when ya hit him, half the time I felt like I was kicking a dog than I did a wulf. At the time I’m sure the visuals and sound were reat but not even those can last in over the years. Compared today’s Wulf he sounds more rapid, angry and savage, plus the “hint of human” in his howl adds a mix of tragedy. Despite that though I think both games are equal in terms of humor and darkness mixed up.

I don’t think there’s anyway to compare the two and say one is darker than the other, because as my brother keeps pointing out (quite well if I do say) that in the details there’s always something that offsets the darkness.

only different I think is this KI2013 as a deeper storyline compared to the oldschool one, but we can blame that on the fact the tech back then wasn’t as strong as it is today.

OMG ■■■■ I remember how tedeious that got. But here’s the funny thing, kinda like Marvel, MKX you just need to know one good combo string and you could win the whole match, no need to practice any new combos really. Also UNSEEABLE BULLETS from characters like Erron Black(granted it doesn’t feel QUITE as cheap as Stryker in MK9, good riddance to his gun spamming ■■■)

2 Likes

On top of that, Sabrewulf is also very tragic in the current game for the following reasons.
Addicted to an a drug that is supposed to numb the physical pain, putting himself through painful experimentation to fix himself. and people thought they had a bad life. The old school sabrewulf’s life was tragic to. But I think the current game just expands on the some of the characters stories.

We get an explanation on the process of Cinder’s transformation from human to alien fire man hybrid…

Anyhow, I think at this point we should stop getting are expectations too high on Ultimates… It will not get us anywhere if we don’t have the expectations so high, it could minimize the disappointment in the long run.

Besides the gameplay mechanics, most of the new characters being lame and the involvement of many guests, I was also disappointed byt he story. I was expecting it to be like mk9, divided into 3 stories - a retelling of mk4, deadly alliance and deception (and maybe armageddon?). Instead, it’s only a little bit of mk4 along with a bunch of new stuff that wasn’t that good. Not to mention the fact that the best parts of the story are not even in the game! They’re only in the comic book that they made for it.

The online wasn’t too good either. Also the lack of mini games or other modes missing was a big no no to me, there was no chess kombat, no puzzle kombat, motor kombat or a konquest mode. And IMO many of the characters were ruined. They made johnny cage annoying, gave everyone a beard… you get the picture. Don’t even get me started on the 3 variations system, what a mess. Oh, and the fatalities this time around are just… a little too much.

Most of the ultimates are cool, Jagos is easily the best. I think one integral aspect that is missing which would make the ultimates seem a lot less goofy would be if they implemented the sound of the opponents battle cry, like in the original games. With a touch of the echoing that accompanied the battle cry because right now as it stands, the silence that occurs during the ultimate makes the visual impact hit a lot less harder.

1 Like