Ultimates Vs Our Expectations

I don’t think anyone did recall being scared when playing the old KI.

This a pretty good point if you ask me. To say the old KI is somehow darker even though 25% of the Ultimates are HILARIOUS to watch. Including Riptor’s buldging stomach, lol.

However just because it’s funny doesn’t mean I enjoy the Ultimate any less for that very same reason, I like Riptor’s Ultimate in this KI.

Yep, those particular moves pretty much shows that KI 1 was more sillier than the current one.
I mean, but please correct me if wrong, how many finishing moves can you find in other fighting games where they had one female fighter flashing her breasts to give opponents a heart attack, or seeing a monster chewing up their victims and having a beer gut?

Your not wrong there. But that just shows how Killer Instinct has done somehting other fighting games have not done before.

It’s really not unthinkable.

In regards to Orchid’s flash no mercy, I always thought of it as maybe it’s not just her cans under there. The game was full of freaks, There might’ve been something horrible under her suit, like a parasitic twin or something.

The only thing that make KI1 dark was it’s lack of backgrounds in the intros and outtros. It was lack of technical prowess with the silicon graphics workstations, not because they were going for a dark tone. IN the same sense you could say Donkey Kong Country was dark…both games were cut from the same cloth after all.

I would also like to point this out about KI1’s tone:

I always thought it was funny that not only is Eyedol’s ending a blatant ripoff of Blanka’s SF2 ending, but it is also includes a quick Double Dragon nod (Blanka’s ending he is referred to as Jimmy, Eyedol’s ending he is referred to as Billy)

2 Likes

Add that to a list of the comedic moments in KI.

1 Like

So we got Orchid boob flash, Riptor f-a-r-t, Thunder uppercut no mercy, two comedic endings, and humiliations. So six aspects that make the original KI a 100% silly, non-dark game? Never mind all the other things like story, bios, violence, etc. that qualify it as a dark, violent fighting game. Sure guys. Whatever you say. Some of you literally are the very definition of grasping for straws.:laughing:

You are not worth debating with. All I can say at this point is that you should not be surpised at what the current game is giving us in terms of style.

Bit ironic of you to say that

5 Likes

To assume anything of those who disagree with you will never sway them to your side. I was not saying that the classic KI was all silly and not dark, all I can see from my point of view is both games have comical and dark moments.

The dark moments of both games is the following.
The Lore
Character bios
Environments: Both games had stages that are either dark or in broad daylight.

1 Like

My fault, I din’t mean for that to be directly aimed at you. Sorry about that. That was more for the folks who feel the original KI wasn’t dark simply because of a few elements of humor in the game.

I guess we’re all just going to have to agree to disagree on that one.:wink:

So basically here’s my stance: I feel the original KI games were darker in nature than the 2013 reboot. To me the new game feels like a cartoonish re-imagining of the originals. That’s it. Nothing to get all upset about like everyone is doing.

Yes. Because a game where a predator/terminator hybrid fights an insane skeleton who can’t stop laughing all while an extremely loud over the top announcer is shouting things is super dark. The original ki was poking fun at popular tropes at the time. Not very dark.

This wasn’t meant to be aimed at you.

the 1st game was more cheesy then dark.Humiliations?Farting dinosaurs?Fulgore popping guns out of his neck?I honestly dont recall a single event in that game that made me think or say to myself “man,that was dark!”

That game had so many comedy aspects in it,and its what made the game truly great.Dark would be the last word i use to ever describe that game

How do you feel about the earlier MK games?

It happens, just make sure you look before you post next time, no worries though.

@MnTLetalis and @fuzzd0rk Here is some examples of dark stuff in both games

First the current game

The dark moments parts, starting with stages and a costume.
The Lore
Character bios
Environments: Both games had stages that are either dark or in broad daylight.\

New KI’s dark moments are the following.
Sabrewulf stage

Severed witht he bone sticking out.
sadira’s Stage

(Personally I think this would be every arachnophobes nightmare)

This speaks for itself here.

This too (however, its a funy momment cause the looser gets hit with this and other objects before going into the portal.)
Zombie sabrewulf

If I need to give more examples I’ll find them. I’ll even show some fo the dark momments from KI-1 as well.

the point is, both games are a mix of both.They have amix of humor and dark. Even if it isn’t done in the exact same way.

1 Like

I don’t know why more people can’t just discuss their points like you. You agree on parts. You disagree on parts. That’s how it’s supposed to be. However, most people here seem to go directly on the offensive.

What?! I never notice that until now… O_o

To be honest i was always rooting for ultimates instead of more characters or additional stages… since i thought hey! ultimates were part ofthe old KI and they are missing. well… after seeing some I have the feeling that implying the last hit instead of actually showing it does not make the real purpose of what ultimate is: and to me an ultimate is some sort or last hit (ultimate=last=ultima) so not showing it makes demerits the previous animations (sadira´s ultimate was so smooth till they decided not to show “the Kill”. So is not lack of blood or something like that, it just feels kinda unfinished to me

1 Like