Tekken 7

Hwoarang kinda got buffed. B.3 having longer range is real nice now with it’s longer range.

I’m buying the pass later, but not now. :sunglasses:

So they confirmed the new feature in the Season 3 pass is the ability to see frame data in training mode, also sold separately at around $4. A lot of people aren’t happy about this, but at least unlike SF4’s version of this you aren’t required to have a smart phone to use the feature in the first place. Also, assuming they haven’t shown it yet, Leroy Smith is supposed to be getting his trailer soon, but if that’s still true I know nothing else about that.

What do you all think about this? Tekken 7 has been getting a lot of flak for charging for legacy characters as DLC (even though Harada confirmed that was the publisher’s doing) but this seems to be especially bad lighting for them. I know other games show frame data for free, and it’s surprising since Harada refused for so long to have frame data appear in the series (though this could be Murray’s idea to allow this, now that Harada was promoted).

Personally I could care less, since I would buy the Season Pass for the characters, but a bunch of people who were expecting Tekken Ball or Team Battle are less tolerant of the situation.

I’m generally of the mind that it’s fine to charge for post-release content, but the whole situation is just super weird to me. The replay analysis and punishment guides are deep enough features that I think charging for them would be fine, but frame data is in my opinion a basic QOL thing that should be provided as a bare minimum to the consumer. Accordingly, I wouldn’t pay for frame data just on principle, and think the crying about people pointing out that frame data should be free is ridiculous.

I guess it’s good that the more useful training guides like the replay analysis and such are free, but to then slap on a price tag to the frame data of all things really rubs me the wrong way. To a certain extent it makes sense that a dev would want these really cool learning features to be free and therefore available for more people to play, learn, and enjoy the game, but by that logic then the frame data overlay should also probably be free. Either charge for everything or nothing in this case I think - charging for just the frame data reads like a super-weird money grab.

1 Like

i was under the impression the whole thing was free lol, well then alright whatever. im actually pretty happy about these incoming training buffs, this is stuff that will help everyone across board from the noob to the high level player who has some questions in his mind. i was watching lil majin’s video on this and he said it would help even somebody like him and hes one of the best king mains. im looking forward to this update, ill shell out 4 bucks for it i guess lol we’ll see. the replay analysis and the punish training is what has me most happy

If that’s all you want, then you don’t actually have to pay anything I believe. It’s only the frame data stuff that’ll cost you money.

You’re definitely free to still toss some money their way if you just want to support though :+1:t5:

yeah it depends if i feel like throwing money into a literal fire pit at the time lol. what has me entertaining the idea is that there are quite alot of special attacks being thrown at me on the daily i have questions marks. i would love to see how unsafe or safe some attacks are, however im going to wait until after i dive into the punish training to see whats up. it could be that the moves in question are going to be part of the lists the game will be training people on

This I agree with, but also keep in mind that this is the same publisher that required Project Soul to beg for SC6’s greenlight, and demanded Tira be paid DLC to be in the game at all. Basically I’m surprised I didn’t see this coming a mile away, since use of the term “feature” was somewhat nebulous and could have meant anything (again, Tekken Ball or Team Battle, etc.).

Also apparently it was confirmed that they could have charged for other things they already included for free, but chose to make this the paid feature instead. I was somehow not surprised to hear that.

Wow, been watching ‘old’ tournament footage. Even pools can be hype :sunglasses:

1 Like

Any news on this game? How many characters are left? You think there’s gonna be another season?

Aside from what we’ve discussed earlier (frame data tool being paid DLC) nothing else has been shown. We’ll just have to wait until early December when they show the Leroy Smith trailer after the TWT Finals, if we’re lucky they’ll tease who else is getting in.

Also I found out some time back that Tecmo Koei was trash-talking Namco by saying their frame data tool in DoA6 was free. Considering DoA6 has a $96 Season Pass with only 2 characters in it, they probably shouldn’t have opened their mouths IMO.

2 Likes

You know… speaking of that… I always thought a three-way crossover between Tekken, Dead or Alive, and Virtua Fighter would be interesting. The three big names in 3D fighting.

I also think it would be cool to do something like KoF but with lots of popular fighting franchises from a bunch of major companies.

1 Like

Well now that Itagaki has long since left Tecmo Koei (he always despised Tekken for “stealing DoA’s thunder”) it could probably happen. I mean, DoA’s M rating is for things other than violence so I don’t think Namco would mind (Death By Degrees was an M-Rated Tekken game after all, and mostly for violence).

1 Like

Considering Namco is gonna need a new Tekken project for the upcoming generation (I highly doubt that 7 will get continued support. Especially a 4th season. It’s just too old at this point), then this would be a good place to it. Either that or finally do Tekken x Street Fighter. I’d be down for either project.

Well, the previous DOA had a few Virtua Fighter characters in it, so I don’t see why they couldn’t. I’d love a full-blown mashup game featuring ten or fifteen characters from each series. I’d probably go with:

From VF:

Akira Yuki
Jacky Bryant
Sarah Bryant
Kage Maru
Wolf Hawkfield
Jeffrey McWild
Pai Chan
Lau Chan
Shun Di
Lion Rafale
Go Hinogami
Lei-Fei
Vanessa Lewis
Eileen
El Blaze

From DOA:

Kasumi
Ryu Hyabusa
Ayane
Bass Armstrong
Tina Armstrong
Jann Lee
Leifang
Zach
Hayate
Helena
Leon
Brad Wong
Christie
Hitomi
La Marioposa

From Tekken:

Heihachi Mishima
Jack
King
Marshall Law
Nina Williams
Yoshimitsu
Paul Phoenix
Lei Wulong
Eddy Gordo
Hwoarang
Jin Kazama
Raven
Zafina
Katarina Alves
Shaheen

I could also see some opportunities for DLC in there as well, since I had to begrudgingly take several characters off of each list to whittle them down to 15 apiece. But yeah, I’d absolutely play the hell out of that game. Sega had a mixup of VF, Fighting Vipers and a bunch of other weird crap called Fighters Megamix back on Saturn. I’d love to see something along those lines with these three franchises.

2 Likes

Heck. I’d love to see a new Fighters Megamix.

2 Likes

The fact that Kazuya isn’t in your Tekken selection is crimial

1 Like

Their game is also free to play, with a number of a la carte options if you only want to pay for what you will use. Criticizing Tekken for trying to charge for basic functionality is absolutely fair.

1 Like

Doesn’t excuse their other actions in past games, like the multiple costume passes for DoA5 that cost about $100 each, the aforementioned season pass debacle in DoA6, and the biggest sin of all: Not having Hayabusa in the Core Fighters package of DoA6 (whereas he was in the DoA5 Core Fighters set).

I’m not saying Namco is justified in doing what they did, but Tecmo Koei doing one good thing in a lifetime of greed is not gonna make me forget their past. At least in Tekken 7 you can get 13 DLC characters and some customization items for $90 (assuming you didn’t wait for sales on the 3 Season Passes + Eliza).

TL;DR: It may be fair to bash Namco for their recent actions, but I won’t forget what Tecmo Koei did with their games (and that’s not even talking about their other games, like Dynasty Warriors 9 gating the unique weapons as DLC).

1 Like

Hahaha, I know. His was the last name I took off since Jin and Heihachi were also in there. Tried to keep every unique character in there and his moveset has some overlap between those two. Also wanted to keep a nice variety between all seven games, which isn’t easy. It was either him or Shaheen.

Now, if each roster had TWENTY characters… :smile: