Soul Calibur 6

My stance is that not every character has to appeal to everyone. If you don’t like a character’s design and that turns you off from playing them, that’s alright. There is a whole roster of characters for you to choose. Ivy’s design fills a certain niche for some people. If that niche isn’t for you, that’s fine. Ivy has her fans. I don’t think it really is right to change the design just to appeal to a different group. If you want to do that, might as well make a new character that appeals to that group.

1 Like

And in that regard character creation exists : D

1 Like

@CausingThought6 For sure, different characters appeal to different people for different reasons. We all have our life experiences and aesthetic preferences, and to a certain extent they kind of are what they are.

If my comment above didn’t get it across, I’m ok with sexy female characters. I think Bayonetta’s design is clever and interesting and that she kicks all kinds of ■■■. I think 2B and 2A from Nier: Automata are also really cool (if completely nonsensical) sexy protagonist designs. They’re attractive, elegant (well, 2B is anyway), and again, kick copious amounts of butt. Dunno why anyone would put an android in 6 inch platform stilettos to fight an army of robots, but hey, they pull it off.

My issue with Ivy is that she just comes off as gratuitous for the sake of being gratuitous. Juri from SF is probably into some “interesting” stuff sexually, but that comes across without having to put her in fetish gear with cup sizes that’d make her immortal life absolutely miserable from back pain. I think having Ivy run around in dominatrix attire is a lazy way to convey “strong and powerful woman”. Confidence doesn’t have to be limited to just letting it all hang out; it’s sexy as hell when a woman knows she looks amazing in something basic. I think that’s a lot more attractive than someone who’s just throwing their ■■■■■■■ in your face.

That’s just my perspective. For what it’s worth, I also hate Voldo and Lizardman in all his various forms. I think Riptor is cool as hell and loved Primal Rage, but I think Lizardman is stupid. Apologies to @justathereptile and @JEFFRON27 :joy:

I know they are different but to me the roster would be extremely bland without them. Not every fighting game has to have human characters to fill the roster and not everyone is gonna like characters like Taki or even Talim for that matter. I personally have nothing against any of the characters that are not Lizardman. I just find the roster to be boring without him. even Astaroth and Nightmare are favorites but they still don’t hold the weight that makes the roster unique like Lizardman does. But we all have different interests.

Honestly though if there are characters I do hate It’s probably patrokolos. Edge lord in white armor claiming he fights for justice and when he wins he gets that smug look on his face. I personally don’t want to see him come back ever again.

I am to assume that Inferno will be this game’s “all-styles” character, correct? Then that means Lizardman will most likely be DLC. They’ll need a slot for Created Characters but now I don’t know how the DLC characters will be filled in. Probably that slot in the middle

@STORM179 How can you accept a Soul Calibur game without Voldo?

although the prhase

you unlock character Inferno may imply that we have more than one character to unlock.

Yeah, but the character select screen only had 1 empty slot.

The other four small spaces I’m thinking are the DLC now that I’m looking at it

That’s also possible. Still odd that they had his fighting style though.

I appreciate the perspective! We don’t have to agree, it’s all good.

That’s not at all I’m saying though. I don’t think your perception of sexy is outdated either, but I do think that there can be more definitions of the word, more nuance, more unique ideas, and more of an evolution of the term than what we tend to see from video games, namely fighting games.

We’ve seen the dominatrix thing before. Going all the way back to Electra in the Streets of Rage games, we’ve seen plenty of this type of character. Ivy in particular, has had almost the exact same look since the fist game came out almost 20 years ago. Can’t we do a bit more with this idea or ditch it entirely and move on?

I get that you prefer it and that’s totally your choice. I also appreciate you telling me why it’s your preference. You didn’t have to, of course, but it’s nice that you did.

For me though, and I can only speak to my experiences, my preferences, etc… I just want to see something new, something unique, something that fits the character’s background, something a character might fight in, etc.

No that’s great that she has a lot of story to her. I appreciate that. I just think that depth can also be found in a character’s appearance and the way they move and talk and act and some of what I see from Ivy along those lines just seems tired and played out in the video game space. Does that make sense?

Cervantes is my main, and Ivy’s actually my alt. I love her move set. I love how unique her weapon is in the fighting game space. It’s just the appearance that I’m not too in to, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

I hear ya, and I see her as more than a pretty lady as well. I love her move set. It’s one of my favorites in the game. I just think the concept behind her appearance is a bit stuck in the past, over done, etc. I think it’s an idea of sex appeal in games that’s more or less run its course. That said, I don’t need every character to be completely covered or anything along those lines. I’m just trying to say that in 2018, I think there are more unique and nuanced ways of depicting women in games and that includes attractiveness, allure, sensuality, aggressiveness, etc.

I’m not trying to take anyone’s fun away here, but personally, I like games that update their characters looks over time. I love how Ermac in MK has evolved since his first appearance UMK3. He’s so different now and his moveset has evolved along with his whole character in general, and his look has evolved with it.

I don’t personally love the idea that a character should look exactly the same for six straight games because that’s how she looked before or because she fits a niche of people that like her appearance. I dunno, to me, characters can sink or swim on fighting styles and how cool they look. I don’t really know why we need physical attractiveness of females to enter in to that conversation.

I get that it does, of course. But I don’t really know why we have to keep the S&M group of fans happy when we could maybe evolve her look a bit and who knows, maybe come up with something even better that hasn’t been used six times already.

That’s more pointed than I intend it. I’m not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I also freely admit that everyone has their opinions on this and we’re all entitled to them. I just think that after six games, and in 2018, we could find a little more nuance, a little more style, and more unique ways of depicting this 17th centure English aristocrat than the same bondage outfit she’s been wearing since 1999. If you or anyone else disagrees though, no problem. :slight_smile:

Yeah this is where I come from on this as well. I’m not saying she needs to wear a burka or whatever, but I also think she can look attractive, alluring and confident, as those all fit her character, and not be running around in dominatrix attire to show how sexy she is. To me, it’s an outdated view of sex and sexuality in video games and it’s one we’ve seen enough of IMO.

You want to make a game where a character is actually a dominatrix and it makes sense for her to dress that way in a given situation, have at it. I’m not against sexy women in video games by any stretch of the imagination. But letting it all hang out at random times in random games that have nothing to do with why characters would even dress like that just feels lazy, as Storm said. It’s like consulting a 12 year old’s wet dream and coming up with what a grown, alluring woman would look like. In 2018, I feel like we could do a bit better than that.

PREACH. :grin:

2 Likes

Cas is looking like fun. I can’t wait to see what they have planned at TGS. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

1 Like

It’s possible that it’s not done yet. Maybe things like Soul Charge and his Critical Edge aren’t implemented

That is also true.

It’s really hard for us to come down on an answer for this. Giving you what you want means me losing what I want. If we change Ivy, change the way she looks and acts, then I loose something I enjoy in the game. I loose my escapist fantasy of power and beauty. And instead I get, I don’t know what I’d be getting in that instance. Instead of my in your face “I’m me, I’m awesome, and you can suck it” ■■■-kicking awesome heroine, she’d be… I don’t know. Do you have, like a solid formed idea of what you’d want to see with her, it might help me decide whether or not i’d be open to the change. I mean, as long as I can still get what I wan’t from the character, I guess I’d be for it. I just need some sort of proof of concept.

I’m loving that it looks like you can use Geralt & Azwel styles for CAS!

I plan to get my styles together

Azwel’s unique ‘finisher’ seen in the talim vs clip is insane!!!

No way. They’d make it cleaner than that. The two that are out by themselves, those are DLC, maybe. The two that are part of the main body have to be on disc characters.

Prepare your butts

4 Likes

My butt is always prepared. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like

0VgpGVM

1 Like

Oh yes!
I was hoping for a beta!
Plus this will gain a LOT of new customers!!!

15 characters!
I can’t wait

GREAT Dev/ Marketing Team

definatley gonna give this a test drive