Soul Calibur 6

Crisp and detailed
Rare Siegfried gameplay
Critical Edges

1 Like

Libra of Soul mode gameplay.

Also:

Lizardmanā€™s style is in the game.

Hwang in Seong Mi-Naā€™s story, looking just like he did in SC1, no redesign, probably meaning he wonā€™t be playable in the game unless added as DLC later.

And Lizardman can get horns.

Inferno gets unlocked through Story Mode.

1 Like

I canā€™t see the image.

Iā€™ll reupload them. ^^

Some gameplay vids:

First 15 minutes of Geraltā€™s story:

this is how someone feels about the possibility

So with all this information we have hereā€™s what I can pick out from it.

1-Lizardman/Aeonā€™s fighting style is available from the footage we saw,

This has me thinking that either
A-Lizardman is in the base roster as an unlockable character
or
B-Heā€™s DLC
Iā€™m not sure which one is accurate but we wonā€™t know right away thatā€™s for sure.

2-We can recruit other warriors from the original universe.
3-We can customize sou charge effects

4-Inferno is unlockable
5-We can defiantly change the body types of characters
6-Hwang is in the story but not playable (man choosing a fighting style is gonna be difficult)

@anon39655210 Iā€™m pretty sure that none on there means Lizardmen donā€™t get to have horns added to them as an option. thatā€™s okay I have equipment for that.

When is Tokyo game show

It started yesterday.

Doing it this way allows the devs to maintain balance among the CAS cast, which is nice because that lets you take your creation into Ranked w/o splitting up the pool of who youā€™re playing with. MK:Armageddon wasnā€™t anyoneā€™s idea of a balanced/competitive FG to my knowledge, so the concern there was less. In Injustice they tried to balance out the custom move sets, but as I understand it most players (esp tournament ones) simply never bothered playing with custom moves, which probably has implications for casuals who are getting into the game as well.

A mix-and-match system based on relative compatibility of movesets would actually be really cool if the game were single-player only, but just not something I could see a team putting time/resources into for a game that is presumably mostly about person-to-person competition. A system like that would unequivocally only be for single player even if it were balanced because half of the game is knowing charactersā€™ strings and what options they have available to them and reacting accordingly. Itā€™d be utterly impossible to know what RandoCreation42ā€™s precise movelist would be if you ran into it online, and because of that itā€™d be nearly impossible to deal intelligently with them.

Iā€™m personally hoping that we can take our CASā€™s into combat online and just have ā€œKilikā€ in parenthesis somewhere so that we know what the skeleton with the high heels and green afro is about. Best of both worlds as I see it. People get to take their nonsense into the broader world, and their opponents actually know what the heck theyā€™re dealing with at a given moment.

And now, finally having read through all nearly 1700 posts, I shall post my thoughts on a bunch of topics that have already ended, mainly because dang it, I read through almost 1700 posts :joy:

Outfits: Iā€™m one of those people for whom the aesthetics of a character matter a great deal, and I come down quite hard on the idea that ā€œdominatrix stripperā€ isnā€™t an interesting or compelling female character design. Itā€™s possible to have a character be sexy without giving her F-size breasts and dressing her in fetish gear, and doing such immediately makes a character completely uninteresting to me. Ivy is so stupidly attired for a fight that I canā€™t care a whit about her backstory or playstyle, because everything about her appearance is just silly and pandering. Ditto for Voldo, who Iā€™d be more than happy to see never ever return to the series.

Lore in Fighting Games: One of the more interesting things I saw in reading this thread is just how much people get invested into the lore for their favorite games. I think itā€™s pretty cool that you guys can get so into it, but Soul Calibur is right up there with Tekken for me in the ā€œgoodness this story is dumb and needlessly convolutedā€ club, and as a result I pretty much just ignore it all. I could care less if X character fits into this particular part of the timeline, because Soul Caliburā€™s story is such a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that itā€™s all nonsense anyway and if a character is cool enough I figure theyā€™ll just work it out (pretty much how they wound up with such a convoluted story in the first place).

Create A Soul: Another really interesting thing for me to see was how much people use the CAS to make other characters that already exist. For me, I always just went with a weapon I liked and then went in and tried to make a cool-looking character to wield it. Seeing people talk about making 10 versions of their favorite comic character was pretty unexpected from my end, but since the sentiment has been shared a few times here maybe Iā€™m the odd one out! I am hoping that we can take our CASā€™s online so that I can fight with my (hopefully) cool-looking creations, but I donā€™t foresee myself trying to replicate any favorite characters with the mode.

Tira DLC (really DLC practices in general): One of the more interesting debates to come out of the thread. Iā€™m of the mind that itā€™s generally a bad idea to announce launch DLC way before a game comes out. I get that launch DLC is a thing and understand the rationale behind it, but itā€™s generally just kneecapping yourself from a publicity standpoint. Project timelines are a thing and post-launch content is a thing and production realities are a thing so it makes perfect sense that something can not make the disc version of a game and still be ready for launch, but it just seems like walking into trouble to announce that 3 months before the game is out. Every company that does that gets dragged for it, so why do companies keep bothering? Answer: because apparently they keep making enough money in pre-sales to justify it.

English vs Japanese Voicework: This one is something of a pet peeve of mine, but I really hate it when people complain about English voices and talk about how the [insert language] track sounds so much better or less cringey. 9 times out of 10 the other language track is of nearly the exact same overall quality, the only difference being that your understanding of that language is crappy enough that you donā€™t catch the subtle ways in which itā€™s also bad. My personal favorite is when someone says ā€œthe [usually JP] track just has so much more emotion!ā€ Yeah, thatā€™s because you donā€™t understand what the hell theyā€™re actually saying so all you get is how emotive the VA was. You know what had emotion? This:

ā– ā– ā– ā–  if Spidey doesnā€™t have a crap-ton of emotion here, but what you probably hear is how ā€œoffā€ the delivery is. Now imagine some foreigner watching this compared to their native language and saying ā€œwow, this sounds so much better in English, because I can really hear the passion!ā€ Yeah, heā€™s passionate alright, but he also sounds hella weird if youā€™re used to the English language. [Sidenote: I love this show]

TL:DR: Lots of the JP Soul Calibur voicework is also over-the-top and weird. Just because you donā€™t speak Japanese doesnā€™t suddenly elevate the quality of how the characters sound.

2 Likes

This is all a good read.

Never change storm. Never change.

1 Like

You unlocked character.

I wonder if this means the following might be unlockable too.
Aeon
Cassandra
Hwang

Iā€™m right there with you on that, for multiple reasons really. For one thing, wearing what Ivy wears in to a fight with swords and what not is utterly absurd. Also, sheā€™s had that exact same outfit for several games now. Canā€™t we get something different? But most of all, it makes the game come off like its being designed for horny 15 year olds.

Yes, I know that Japanese culture isnā€™t American culture. I hear that refrain every time apologists talk about this issue. But respect for culture isnā€™t the reason why most tend to like stuff like this and itā€™s disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Itā€™s the ā€œI read Playboy, but only for the articlesā€ argument. Yes, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s actually true for some people, but for most? For the vast majority?

I also hear that sex sells, which is hilarious to me given that this outdated sales mantra was debunked years ago. Marketing wizards still use it because itā€™s cheap, itā€™s easy, and people keep saying it so it must be true, right? Never mind the fact that no data supports the idea. Any data collected on this issue says that using sex doesnā€™t sell any more than normal ad campaigns and in some cases adversely effects the product being sold.

Stepping away from what Iā€™m sure some will think is an SJW take, Iā€™m mainly just of the opinion that the look and the movement and what not feel dated. Thereā€™s so much graphical power in video game systems, it just feels like there are more subtle and certainly more unique ways of portraying a character as alluring, seductive, attractive, even sexually aggressive, even if the whole dominatrix thing is beyond played out in video games.

Instead, we get ridiculous bouncing beach balls defying gravity and somehow not tumbling out of Ivyā€™s corset as she spouts awkward dominatrix-ish lines and I dunnoā€¦ It just feels off; like the devs are trying too hard. Which is a shame because her weapon style is incredibly unique and sheā€™s actually a lot of fun to use.

As much as Iā€™ve played SC, Iā€™ll freely admit that my knowledge of the stories and the timeline is somewhat limited. I agree that the stories are convoluted, but also, there tends to be a lot of a empty space, especially when it comes to things like arcade endings and what not in Namco fighters.

Watch all of the endings from Tekken 3, for example, and half of them, at least, appear to be nonsense. I know fighting games didnā€™t always present their stories the way Mortal Kombat does now, but for as much money as Iā€™m sure they put in to creating endings for characters and opening intros, thereā€™s just sooooo much thatā€™s either left up to interpretation or just absent entirely, as we get stuck with stuff thatā€™s either funny or just plain strange.

Iā€™m really hoping that SC VIā€™s story can come together in a way that gives all of the characters more agency, more to do, and that itā€™s presented in a way that feels fluid and compelling; as if Iā€™m on a journey from point A to point B and Iā€™m aware of whatā€™s happening throughout and Iā€™m invested in finding what happens next.

Thatā€™s probably too tall an order, but Tekken 7 at least seems like a step in that direction, so hopefully Soul Calibur VI can take another step, at least.

@STORM179 and @Iago407 I think storm said he didnā€™t like the way Ivy was dressed.
Well tbh in the comment of outfits character customization is a thing. If ya donā€™t like the outfits you can always dress emā€™ how you want.

A good cast in my opinion can appeal to a variety of tastes. You can tell by who I main in KI which kinds of characters I like to play as. Nightmare and Aeon being the only characters I honestly only care about which are like the Fulgore and Riptor characters for me. Most everyone else are kinda boring in my opinion.

However just as the custom for offical cast solves the problem with outfits, the creation mode for characters can help me deal with that lack of uniqe fun factor with the official cast that exists.

1 Like

Thatā€™s absolutely true. But for me, itā€™s not really a question of covering my sensitive eyes because a woman is showing skin. Not saying you were implying that at all, but Iā€™m just trying to be clear here. That dominatrix outfit is how sheā€™s presented as a character. Itā€™s what we see in trailers and itā€™s essentially been her default look for six games now (if Iā€™m not mistaken).

For me, Iā€™d kinda like to see her base look and attitude evolve beyond what Iā€™d generously call a concept from a bygone era. Again, Iā€™m not saying she has to wear a sweatshirt and jeans (or the medieval equivalent lol) and behave like a strong female lead stereotype.

Iā€™m saying that itā€™d be nice if they could take her signature attributes, her attitude and her station in life, and perhaps expand on those in relatively unique ways and create a look, a style, and movement that reflects who she is as a character and maybe deemphasize the ā€œsexyā€ dominatrix aspect. Sheā€™s an aristocrat, but sheā€™s also a warrior. Sheā€™s snooty and aggressive and her dad is freakin Cervantes. There has to be more to her personality and itā€™d be cool to see that come out in between the anger and the upper crust attitude. Also, canā€™t she get a more British sounding accent? Iā€™m not saying she has to sound like Lily from Tekken, but still.

In saying all of this, I of course recognize that Iā€™m asking a lot and have zero expectations that something along those lines would happen, but itā€™d be nice to see. Iā€™m not saying she has to lose who she is, but Iā€™m of the opinion that the dominatrix aspect and the massive, heaving bosom isnā€™t central to being ā€œIvy,ā€ and I think itā€™s more of a tacked on ā€œfor the guysā€ type of thing.

I think thereā€™s a better character in there, and clinging to what they did a long time ago doesnā€™t do her any favors, or the game, for that matter. But thatā€™s just where I come from on it and others are certainly free to disagree. :slight_smile:

True. But the way the character has by default been presented over the years has given me a very clear dislike for Ivy as a character in toto, and I donā€™t want to engage or be involved with her in any capacity. I donā€™t like or care about her, and that extends to weapon and playstyle.

Iā€™m not the guy who plays dozens of characters in a FG. Out of KIā€™s cast of 29 I have literally never touched fully 15 or 16 characters. Their looks and designs donā€™t make me want to play them, so I donā€™t. A character who actively annoys me with her default appearance? No chance Iā€™ll bother.

As a woman. I like her design and donā€™t see the need for a change. In fact, I donā€™t want her to change her design.

Growing up, there have always been two things that Iā€™m not. Attractive and Athletic. No matter how hard I try, Iā€™m always going to be overweight and frumpy. And society isnā€™t exactly kind to me because of that. Which is why characters like Ivy (and Bayonetta) are so appealing to me. It lets me live out a fantasy of being a powerful and sexy woman who can kick all kinds of ā– ā– ā– . Heck, with the amount of work I would have to put in to look like that, you are ā– ā– ā– ā–  sure Iā€™d be showing it off. Iā€™m sick of people telling me that the female body is something shameful. Wether itā€™s the one I already have or the one I desperately wish I did. Maybe my perception of sexy is outdated, but the way she dresses right now is part of the reason I even wanted to look into her and her backstory in the first place.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

@Iago407 I can see what ya mean. Though I guess we all do tend to by apperances, Iā€™m sure most people who never touched Aeon knew he was a spartan warrior, who due to his circumstances wasnā€™t even helped by the very god who sent him after Soul Edge to start with but rather, ended up sending warriors after him to silently deal with his mistake. A man wrestling with the animal instinct and the unfortunate curse that falls upon him.

From what I can remember from this channel on history behind the warrior he did alot on different characters, Ivy included and from what I could see there was indeed quite a bit of story despite her looks. However Iā€™m not saying you should just forego your thoughts on her and just go looking deep as you are entitled to your opinion as everyone else on the character.

In that same stance I donā€™t know hardly jack about much of the cast except for Astorath, Aeon and Nightmare I only know enough of Siegfried sense he and Nightmare have a connection in the earlier SC games. So I can understand that if thereā€™s a character you donā€™t like, you wouldnā€™t care much more about them : )

Tackey as Ivy is though she appeals to somebody just as Maxi, Seong Mina, Talim, Kilik, and Pyrra (yes even that annoying little pain in the ass) have someone they appeal to. Which is fine even when I donā€™t like any of them for one reason or another.

@CausingThought6 while I donā€™t beleive Iago is saying that the female body is shameful.I think heā€™s just saying that women with her type of measurments donā€™t appeal to him. However I think your reasons are reaosnable. If you want to play Ivy as she is I say go for it. If she empowers you, go right ahead and kick ā– ā– ā– .

Aeon fufils my fantasy of being a monster of sorts, as a kid I use to always pretend to be Godzilla, or a dinosaur, or some other monster in the playground at school, and I was in my own world. Kids used to tease me for it, but I didnā€™t care. Also like playing as burly deadly fighters cause well when I was a child I wasnā€™t the biggest of 4 siblings. I feel speaking in the terms of being the youngest sibling it sucks when your oldest brother lifts you up by your underwear and hangs you on a fence and thereā€™s nothing you can do except wiggle and cry. I was 7 when that happened, even so if I was stronger I probably wouldā€™ve been able to stop that from happening. XD
The beauty of video games is they are usually a fantasy and if they can immerse or entertain you and escape from reality for awhile thatā€™s all grand in my book. Realism is fine sometimes but I think in small amounts itā€™s better.

At the end of the day no matter how insane things get I hope we all enjoy something about Soul Calibur 6. From the recent trailers I saw it put a lot of fears I had to rest about character customization so thanks to Namco for such an amazing amount of effort. I donā€™t know how good the storyā€™s gonna be but ya know what, itā€™s not SCV so itā€™s already better by default :stuck_out_tongue: (If you havenā€™t guessed I have a love/hate with SCV)

My expectations arenā€™t super high for the story as I do with all fighting games (except MKX and that dissapointed me TBH) I donā€™t expect SC6 to have a good story, only an entertaining one.

@Iago407 @STORM179
I get where your coming from and perhaps some of Ivyā€™s fans do see her as more than some pretty lady. Just like how I see Aeon as more than just a lizard. I see Aeon as a character whoā€™s life destroyed by tragic events and it didnā€™t help that a Greek god that he worshiped forsaken him. As a result. Not to mention sophitia seeā€™s the gods in a light that could paint them as a romanticized Olympian god which is what most of modern media seems to portray them.

@CausingThought6
I can see why you see that fantasy as something that appeals to you. Just like for me, Aeon gives me some that fantasy of being a reptillian beast that behaves like an apex predator. I wasnā€™t like most kids in that sense. When some were pretending to be soliders I was pretending to be Godzilla, or a Velociraptor. Plus being a human being I donā€™t have those things like a powerful tail or slashing claws. Thatā€™s what makes me enjoy Aeon so much. thatā€™s also what makes Riptor appeal to me so much.
without Aeon, SC would just be another street fighter or tekken or DOA (Tekken and Street Fighter have lost there appeal to me and DOA never interested me.)

But if you run into people who say those bad things to you just tell them ā€œmind over natter you donā€™t mind they donā€™t matterā€ hope that helps.