Soul Calibur 6

MK has s very, VERY limited moveset compared to Soul Calibur. When all the characters have the same four moves (high and low punch and kick) and the same command moves (sweep, roundhouse and uppercut) it’s relatively easy to mix and match their animations with the 3-5 special moves each character gets in that game. SC characters have 70+ distinct move animations that are not shared between characters. If you thought you were going to be able to give your created character Nightmare’s specials and Taki’s normals I think that’s just an unrealistic expectation if yours rather than a failure of the developers.

If you are willing to settle for MK Armageddon style animations you can mix up a handful of animations. If you want animations like SC this will never be possible.

2 Likes

That’s because Soul Calibur designed the style with using one style in mind.

Also worth noting, most of the MK community HATES MKA’s character creation because you could put together a movelist that was completely broken and OP!

The idea is cool, but in a competitive fighting game, it’s an unbalanced mess.

3 Likes

Sums up what Jeff said.
So @BigBadAndy and @anon39655210

What about you?
1: What will your race be
2: Your alignment when you first play.
3: Fighting style

I wish I could answer that, but I would have to play around with it first before I settle with a first CaS.
I have an OC in mind I always make, but with the more options we have now, he’d be different than in SCV.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic. I’ve never played a SoulCalibur before. I didn’t know how it always was. It was described to me as a Character CREATOR. I expected to be able to CREATE whatever character I’d want.

why do your custom created characters NEED to be balanced. It should just be a fun thing to do and create whatever you want.

Because the idea with fighting games is that you play against other people.
If you have an obvious unbalanced advantage because you have put together a movelist that makes you OP to play against, then you’re not fun to play against.

If it was a game where you just fought the computer, then there wouldn’t be any issue with it. But because most fighting games are created with the competitive aspect in mind, then that’s a huge no-no.

I guess that’s where the disconnect is. I don’t pay extra for online and I don’t have any friends. So I never play against anyone other than the computer. So to me, “unbalancing” the fighter is just a way of making the game more fun.

That’s the beauty of SoulCalibur you won’t have to even log online to access the great parts that are story mode character creator and arcade mode

But-

Nothing will replace The excitement of not knowing what the online opponent is going to expertly try, noob who may just mash buttons,or a tech fiend who studies frame data that plans to surprise you

and this speaks also took the new mechanic in this game where rock paper scissors can turn your game around immensely not to mention the awesome critical edge moves that can Also be the finishers

This game will make me a recluse in late October

1 Like

I probably won’t put anything together. I may goof around with it, but even in RPGs I generally just choose a few of the default setting and then move on.

It is.

When you do, you will see why it’s unrealistic.

In a weapons based fighter you can’t just give the polearm guy the nunchuck guys special moves. It won’t work. It’s not like giving Lou Kang’s firbalk ti John Cage.

OK! I GET IT! Soulcalibur’s creation system has ALWAYS been this way and I was a stupid idiot for expecting anything even remotely different based on my own prior experience with other similar concepts and I’m being an unrealistic jerk face. I apologize for having different life experiences and opinions than you and will endeavor to never do so again. Can we please move on.

Ah, okay then.

Yes.

I know we’re moving on from the idea of what to expect from a create a character mode and what’s reasonable and what’s not and that’s obviously fine. But personally, I’d love to see Namco use SC VI as an opportunity to expand on create a character move sets in a more organic way that could still give people a feeling like they have an original character (to an extent), without giving players the ability to put their move lists together from scratch or combine character move lists in ways that would create something overpowered.

In that vein, I’d love to see them do the following:

-Create weapons that are only used in CAC with their own move lists: I know this isn’t easy, so I certainly wouldn’t expect a lot of these, but a few would be nice. Maybe… Five? Six?

-Create weapons that are only used in CAC with their own move lists as DLC: Perhaps when they sell characters or as part of the season pass, they could also add a few CAC weapon/move lists as well. Again, this doesn’t have to be a large number. Two, maybe three?

-Making alterations to existing weapons/move sets: Obviously we’d still want the original weapons and movesets from characters already in the game, but I think they could up the number of available move sets a bit if they could put in variations on those move sets where a few different moves behaved differently or they added some animations, changed moves, took some out and added some in, etc.

Again, I know that’s not an easy thing to do, it’d be nice to have more options with Raphael’s rapier than just “fight exactly the way Raphael fights.” Again, not looking for anything OP and not even asking for anything huge like a new super animation or anything like that, but if they could reuse some already existing animations for certain kicks, or from certain attacks or slashes or whatever, I think mixing things organically, that made sense (ie not giving someone with Seigfried’s sword the speed of Maxi’s attacks etc), that could be a nice way to mix things up.

To be clear, I’m not certain how realistic any of this is and I’m obviously NOT expecting any of it. I’m just saying that it’d be kinda nice if they could go a little further with the customization options where it pertains to how your character actually plays.

More choices, but still well within the realm of what the designers intend the characters to be able to play like. Nothing OP or mixing and matching moves and move speeds that have no business being together in a competitive game.

I think I’d probably enjoy CAC a bit more if that were the case, but who knows. I just feel like having something that’s a bit more of my original creation and a bit less “guy who isn’t Cervantes but has his weapon and does everything exactly the same as him” would be kinda nice. Maybe the returns on that wouldn’t be enough to justify the work put in. Who can say…

I can’t remember much from sc3 but the huge amount of created disciplines see,ed to lean towards your conversation points.

Maybe I’ll have to fire that up sometime today.
The greater discipline seemed most interesting as it was weapons on feet

@Iago407 neat info there.

So my question for you is what race will you choose and will your alignment be the first time you play Libra of soul?

1 Like

Oh that’s a good question! I’m not sure yet. I’ll definitely have to mess around with it for a while and see what comes out. I know I’ll be tempted to make some sort of ninja / MK character or something along those lines, but we’ll see.

Man, I can’t wait for this game!! :slight_smile:

Same. So far the only disappointment (and a big one so far) is that Aeon may not make the base roster. But if he makes DLC I’ll forget the whole thing and just enjoy it.