Soul Calibur 6

Unlike the original “golden age” of fighting games, we are fortunate to live in an era where there are lots of fighting games and most of them are really good. Some I like more than others and many I have not really spent as much time with as I should. But I can honestly say they are almost all good games. Compare this to when we were all lined up to throw quarters in the original Mortal Kombat (which was absolute trash as a fighting game). These are pretty amazing times…

1 Like

Yeah I played a handful of the modern games (Killer Instinct and MK9 being my favorites)

But I still enjoyed classic games like Primal Rage (one of my favorites) and Eternal Champions (Also enjoyed it.) But anyway back on topic.

@BigBadAndy @BblackorchidD @anon39655210 @TallerGorilla95 @CausingThought6

My hype increases every time they cover more on the CAS mode or Libra of Souls.

But as you guys may have heard we have the ability to choose whether to be good guys or bad guys in Libra of souls. So I ask you guys. Where will your alignment be when you first play the mode?

Good the first time- I think it’s more your decisions along the way- there may be instances where you can be diplomatic or aggressive like marvel ultimate alliance

I’m sure it won’t be unlocked/available the first time, but I’d like to use azwel soul to give it a completely new experience the first time around

I’ll probably end up doing both eventually. But I’ll probably start as a good girl. I’ll probably try to make some sort of Ivy/Geralt hybrid with a ton of range.

I think you can only choose one of the two styles.

Welp this will be predictable but when I create my first lizardman, I’m gonna give a big middle finger to the “Reptiles are bad” cliche and be the most heroic lizardman I can be.

So, your can’t alter the move sets of your created characters?

As far as I know that hasn’t been a thing at all. If they did they would’ve told us about it. where did you hear that we could have altered moves for your characters?

I just kind of assumed it would be a thing because otherwise, what would be the point? Like the Mii Fighters in Smash. Without that, you’re basically just making alternate costumes. If you can’t customize what they can do, then why wouldn’t you just use the normal version.

As far as I can remember every Soul Calibur game that has introduced a the CAS only gave us access to the fighting styles and the weapons of choice. Granted you could customize the weapons to make it reflect your character.

The way Soul Calibur’s cas system works is
-You start with a gender
-Pick your race (introduced in SC-VI)
-Create the Characters body type, armor pieces, ect
-Then you choose a style

For the most part the games have had that consistency with the exception of adding races.

Also for the record it still isn’t making a costume unless you were actually customizing one of the existing characters like Ivy and giving her a different set of clothing and hairstyle. But the face and body type remains.

Now If they announce that we could make a hybrid fighting style then all is well then.

That seams like such a missed opportunity. I mean, MK: Armageddon let you do whatever you want in character creation, including moveset mixing and matching. And SoulCalibur is a series KNOWN for this feature and you are apparently so limited. To me, it’s kind of confusing.

As far as I know SC-VI became less limited when I could make a race. Now why they never did that I have no idea. though MKA’s Character Creation system was built around making your own fighting style.

If they did have plans to have you choose a set of animations to make a hybrid style they either hadn’t planned on it or it wasn’t mentioned yet. Only time will tell at this point.

But to help clear this up. Soul Calibur’s Creation system had always been like this. Though SC-IV and SC-V changed the rules with what they introduced and now it’s changed with Soul Calibur VI.

Then it’s always been a missed opportunity and a feature that i’m no longer excited to even use.

Like I said, only time will tell. For the moist part you have two styles to choose from if that was the case. With Hwang likely not making the base roster I pretty much don’t have a style for my heroic lizardman. My villain Lizardman will be given Zasalamels style.

I’ll agree with you on the missed oppurtunity but if you really think about it, I don’t see how a hybrid fighting style could be implemented on your character easily. In my opinion sure: most of the roster is made up of 90 percent humans, which in of itself isn’t that uniqe or diverse. But the weapons I will admit are all pretty different and just because two styles APPEAR to use a similar weapon it may not be that compatible.

Groh and Ivy both may use a single handed weapon, BUT those weapons are different. Groh for example just has a single handed sword, but Ivy’s weapon is a whip sword (I’ve herd other terms like snake sword and such to) So unless you can just change the weapon out of thin air I’m not sure how that will work.

On the other hand balancing, how would the devs be able to balance it out? what’s stopping the players from making the fighting style with the best moves? Also another case: let’s say you mix Maxi and Nightmare’s fighting styles in range the two are on near opposite of the spectrum. How are you gonna go from doing one thing with Maxi then suddenly out of nowhere summon a the soul edge on one of your attacks. Unless your weapon doesn’t transform into that and you just end up hitting someone with the hitbox even though there’s no indication of the weapon appearing.

So case in point: the idea sounds really good on paper but I don’t see that working out to well in execution, at least not without lots of bugs and balancing issues.

Look on the bright side though: you get to choose between your race selection which has never been done much if at all in SC series you were mostly stuck with humans who wore various costumes and such and the occasional skeleton. Which is why I’d much prefer to create a yardman with Siegfried’s fighting style rather then play as Siegfried, lol.

This one we get to see a huge set of races to pick from, You can adjust their heights and body type (which more or less could affect your hit boxes in some way, so imagine a tiny Astoroth, etc.
Sure you don’t get a hybrid type but at least you can do quite a bit with the tool set you have.

Speaking of the different races, which I have to question: If these things existed in SC series the whole time, why didn’t they make up some part of the main roster? if they had done that I think SC could actually of competed for one of the most unique set of characters.

@JEFFRON27 Hello brother so good of you to join us. Why don’t you tell us about what you will make.

-The race you will choose
-The fighting style
-Your Alignment in Libra of Soul

Easy
First go around:
-Lizardman
-Sigfreid style
-Good guy

Second go around:
-Mal-fested/Astral Plains character
-Not sure yet
-Biggest jerk ever.

1 Like

Here’s the armor I’ll add.

I mainly wanted to take Geralt’s witcher powers and use them with Ivy’s snakesword. I don’t want to change the weapon, i just want to put in the non-weapon based powers. I understand how it would be difficult to change weapons. So how about each move has a degree of compatibility with each weapon. Someone like Maxi’s moves would be incompatible with Astoroth’s weapon, but other moves that could function with your selected weapon would be able to be transferred over. Non-weapon based powers would be freely transferable between everybody, at least, that’s how i would do it.

SoulCalibur NEVER allowed you to mix fighting styles.
You must commit to a character style

Yup it’s been like that sense SC-III