Shadow Skins in 3.5

You didn’t answer my question. In fact, you didn’t speak to anything I asked beyond basically reiterating your point and lacing it with an ad hominem. Get some sleep and respond tomorrow (if you want) with something more than assumptions.

To reiterate, I’m looking for what you actually know, not what you think you know, or what your gut tells you or whatever. If you actually know how to program the color, the effect, and anything else that goes in to it, then I’ll absolutely defer to your wisdom. Otherwise, you calling them out when you don’t know what they had to do to create these is just baseless conjecture over something not passing your eye test. Just wondering which one it is and nothing more.

Ah, thanks! I wasn’t sure what the story was for them. Makes a lot more sense now. Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

I think the stage looks nice, but okay, you seem to be on a rant so let’s see where this rolls.

If you look back at how they handled season 2’s story, it was the same deal. Current season character’s got the lion’s share of the content. Still, we did get a few cutscenes for other characters and everyone got dossiers, which is nice. I kinda like the reading mixed in with the viewing. Reminds me of Lost Odyssey a little.

I do hope that they add more cutscenes though, since it’s a living mode. I also hope that we’ll see some actual interactions and not just voiceovers, but that seems to be the style they’re going for.

I think the mode’s really fun, like an upgraded version of Soul Calibur’s Edge Master Mode, with way more stuff going on. I’m not sure what kind of game changer you needed, but I’m happy.

As for making KI great again, I think that’s a great slogan because America’s already great and KI’s already great, so that’s a perfect use of that vague, jingoist nonsense slogan; a sort of innocuous appeal to tradition when tradition had its (massive) faults in both cases, and we’re way better off now.

I’d like you to elaborate. What’s gimmicky about it? I mean, most fighting game modes have a gimmick or conceit, so what’s wrong with this one and why are you so underwhelmed by it?

Nothing screams “entitled” more loudly then questioning the passion of people that work insanely long hours to bring you content. That’s just not cool at all. Seriously, do you and shellshock just think they make paper airplanes for a few months before hitting the “add purple” button two minutes before the update goes to Certification? Who are you to question the love, drive and desire of people you’ve never met for the project that puts food on their tables?

Don’t say “we,” as you’re absolutely not speaking for the general audience. Bludgeoning through the dark isn’t a thing I’ve heard of. What do you mean by this?

A realist would know that time and resources are limiting factors, but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say “suck it up and be happy you got anything at all.” So you can burn that straw man to the ground all you want. Don’t think anyone will fight you on it.

Also, when you say “most of us believed this was it,” What do you mean here? Cuz most people here were well aware that the Eyedol story update was bringing more stuff with it and they hinted at shadow skins as well.

You’re projecting. The content isn’t up to your standard so they must be lazy people that are okay settling for less, is that it? I imagine they take a little more pride in their work than that.

Man, being a devs must be a blast when you read stuff like this. SMH

Oh okay, I see the train has left the station and now it’s fully off the rails. Quite an imagination you have. Let me see if I can parse your intricate scenario for clues on your actual opinion. Soooo you think they’re trying to swindle us with bare minimum levels of effort and subpar content? Am I getting warmer?

Look man, if you hate so much about season 3 and a couple of stupid backgrounds being lost for this neat little letdown of mode makes you feel like you were swindled, then do yourself a favor and go find a game that doesn’t make you feel that way.

I’m 100% NOT telling you to geeeet out if you don’t worship at their feet. I’m saying if they’re not meeting your standards, and you’re so frustrated that you’re incapable of voicing your opinion constructively to such a degree that you’re perfectly fine or feel justified in making assumptions about who these people are and how they go about their work, then maybe you’d be happier with a game that does meet your standards.

Well, I guess this is turning into another one of those “bash the new content” threads, so I’ll just hit the bricks and leave you to it. I’m sure I’ll pop back in, but probably best to call it a night at the very least. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

[quote=“Iago407, post:83, topic:16205”]
Ah, thanks! I wasn’t sure what the story was for them. Makes a lot more sense now. Much appreciated! :slight_smile:
[/quote]Yeah, it might be a half-baked reason but its true. Maybe Ultratech siphoned off shadow energy from the characters and formed these clones to study their fighting potential. Now they’re loose!

1 Like

Agreed

It is sad that some don’t stop to think that the shadow skins are part of the Eyedol SL update. I have notice that there is not one thread about how cool the Eyedol update will be, just people doing the same complaining about skins and colors.

I think people are forgetting that the shadow skins are part of SL mode, and most likely are Eyedol’s version of mimmics. Now for those of us who actually play SL and love it, this will be a way to tell who’s minions we are facing, if they belong to Gargos or Eyedol.

Long live Eyedol and is Purple People. :smile:

6 Likes

I agree with this. They could’ve just put them in SL and not had them accessible. Then the complaining about not getting would start.
Sometimes you can never do right for doing wrong.

I look forward to eyedols attempt for world domination.

I know I’m being relatively picky here, but everyone? I’m not so sure myself. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it’s in there though.

Yeah I wasn’t directing that comment at anyone in particular but there’s a lot bigger picture than just the skins, they’re only a side note on the big feature. The win-win being that regardless of if you like the skins or not, they have added a highly requested feature into Shadow lords so there is something for everyone even if they can’t enjoy the skins.

I understand what you’re getting at and I know there are people who wanted the feature in. Just hoping that Shadow Lords becomes accessible in the first place so I can take advantage of all this content I’ve been missing out on since September or slightly earlier.

Yeah I really hope that they manage to work out your concerns, for sure. The game should be accessible to as many folks as possible.

Well said. Glad it’s not just me trying to get this sorted - I know it’ll take time. But if I know it’s coming in some form, that’ll make me even happier when it comes and I can take on Gargos MYSELF, without sighted help.

And that’s a wrap folks

here is the information you requested. but ya, lets start basic for now. this video is all about color today class. please take out your note books and pencils.

Man you people complain a lot :confused:

11 Likes

I like these skins more then mimic’s.
Too bad that I need to work really hard to unlock them. :smiley:

yup, people complained about MS Xbox division too. look where it is today. injecting low quality content into a game can detract from its presentation over a period of time. that’s all.

That certainly seems to be the case, yeah.

Okay, I watched your video. So now let’s fast forward beyond the Commodore 64 so you can tell me what type of coding is required to create new colors and effects for twenty some characters on an Xbox One level game, and how time consuming that might be. You called it a copy/paste job, which to me implies a very low level of time and resources. Can you tell me if that’s an accurate statement and why?

I’d also be curious to know how much time and resources you think it might take to do something along the lines of a color 9 for each character or a Shago level design for each character, since I’m assuming that would be what you want instead. Do you think it would be practical from a time and expense perspective to do these for each character as a bonus for season 3 or independent of season 3 or something along those lines?

You do realize that people complaining doesn’t always lead to a positive result though, right? I’m definitely not saying shut up and accept everything. Not by a long shot. But if we just bagged on everything they put out, it’s not like they’ll automatically raise their game. If anything, it might just have a negative effect on the community and maybe even MS’ view of the game.

I like that they’re listening to us, giving more color variations, and such. That’s always good to see, especially considering many of us were advocating for more as well, myself included.

Edit:
I will say that @TUSKODINSON has a fair point in asking for something more higher quality in that respect to what Shadow Jago looks like. If the respective character’s dark version doesn’t change their gameplay, then I’m all for it. Have at it. I would like to see more on that end as well.
/Edit

I think this is a step in the right direction, even if you consider this as miniscule, it’s a step forward. I hope that we’re able to see more costume/accessory sets to come out in the future. I’d certainly pay for more.

15 Likes

I can try. honestly it looks as if they used hisako’s flickering ghost effect, toned it down, applied green tones in color and applied it to all the roster. the purple variation is in effect, the exact same. time wise who know as the variables that are at play make it impossible to nail down. rest assured that’s it’s not impressive.

Really don’t see how the second sentence relates to the first since you admit that it’s impossible to nail down, but whatever. You seem determined to be unimpressed and if that’s your opinion, you’re more than entitled to it. I don’t really see the big deal in this particular case, but that’s okay. We don’t have to agree on aesthetics.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have color 9 quality skins for everyone where it relates to shadow skins and mimic skins and I think we all want more character outfits and all that. We’re on the same page there.

I just think that regardless of how much time and effort went in, regardless of how much of a copy / past job these might or might not be, and regardless of how much their budget allows or doesn’t allow them to do things like this or better than this, that what we got here still looks nice for the most part. I see them and they look visually appealing to me, and I can take that completely independently of what we could’ve had or what they’re able to do or what I personally want.

You seem to want more, or assume that they can do more, and that’s fine. I just wanted to know if your assumptions about what they did were grounded in fact/personal experience or you were just using your eye test and I’m still not entirely sure which, but there’s no point in pressing the issue.

I hope for your sake that you like whatever they do next a good deal more than what you’ve seen lately. :slight_smile:

I don’t agree with you at all other than reeeeally wanting the remaining stages, but I gotta say that was some funny ■■■■ . Does a line of cocaine and jumps out the window into a mustang convertible lmao

3 Likes