Mortal Kombat 11

Probably wouldn’t make it any less disappointing for fans of those characters though.

1 Like

My favorite character is Sektor. I know what it’s like to not get your main back for the sake of variety. It sucks. But it’s necessary.

I don’t entirly agree with it. Especially with fighting games, people would buy the game for that reason. Even removing certain characters can affect the games sales. SCV was an example of that.

No. Dude was so confident in his own leak and playing it off as “I’m doing it because I love you guys”, then being shattered by the D’Vorah reveal within a week. I ■■■■■■■ hate these clickbaiters and leakers, especially him for how he was explaining his intent in the leak video. ■■■■■ him, ■■■■■ Dynasty and ■■■■■ Super too (to a certain extent).

Mini-rant over.
Jade looks absolutely amazing and is definitely going to be a pain in the ■■■ to fight against, she covers so much space that getting in is going to be really difficult. Projectile immunity means she has the ability to get around your zoning too, I will not be surprised if she’s the main character to run to for online warriors on day 1 (of the ones we know so far).
I wonder if the loadouts they show on the Kast are the ones they will make defaults for the competitive scene. That’s still a question that remains unanswered, among others.
Disappointed that next week will be about the mobile game, I’m sure we’ll get a character announcement during the week though. I believe Kano is up next for the console Kombat Kast in 2 weeks (don’t quote me on that) with maybe a breakdown for D’Vorah as well.

2 Likes

Then NRS needs to start doing bigger rosters. That’s the only compromise.

We had a whole argument a few weeks ago as to why people hate THAT idea. So pick your poison. Do you choose…
A. A large roster of 50+ characters that includes ALL the mainstays with plenty of swap-out newcomers and vets, but with a slightly longer dev cycle.
B. A smaller roster that leaves out a few mainstays for the sake of freshness
or C. Literally the exact same roster every time with only one or two characters that are different.

Whichever you choose you must live with the downsides that come with it, because there is no perfect outcome.

Increasing the number by a certain amount not literally 50+ characters.

heck instead of 25 go with 32. That way we have room for fresh new characters but also keep as plenty of mainstays. Does it guarantee everyone being here, not entirely. But it won’t disappoint too many people.

You had the supoosed 25 plus 7 more characters

• Reptile
  • Rain
  • Nightwolf
  • Jax
  • Sektor
  • Cyrax
  • Ermac
1 Like

Hmm. Interesting proposal. Who would you add if you could throw in 7 more characters? I’d probably go with

Shang Tsung
Sektor
Li Mei
Fujin
Ashrah
Nightwolf
Kai

If I added 7 more it would be

1: Shang Tsung
2: Fujin
3: Mileena
4: Sindel
5: Khameleon
6: Quan Chi
7: Kenshi

So now you have 39 characters. If I added 40 to even it out, it would be either Tremor, or Taven.

If not then 6 of those seven will be DLC.

25+7=32 but whatever.

Bringing it up to 40? 8 more characters?
I guess at that point I HAVE to bring back Reptile and Mileena. Then the next would be
Asgaarth
Ashrah
Kira
Kobra (Up the Street Fighter parody aspects by like, 200%)
Daegon
Bring back Tremor. Why not.

Then you bring in the DLC characters and… oh that’s what you meant by 39

Either way I still think they should be able to manage 28 at base. That’s how many I2 had at launch (minus Darkseid)

i really do not understand why they do not make bigger rosters. Even as DLC people would definitely buy them.The game would be bigger, they would make more money, and everybody would be happy.

2 Likes

Time, money, and difficulty of keeping characters fresh/unique.

Jade looks really good. If I liked playing NRS games she’d definitely be a candidate for my main or a secondary (because who am I kidding, I’d play Scorpion). I like that she can’t be zoned, and I love big buttons and space control options. I’ll also echo Andy’s praise of her visuals - character looks cool and graceful and sexy without looking like a hooker.

EDIT: mildly surprised that last word didn’t catch the censor :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not to pick on you, but just because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean there’s no reason for it. Since NRS (and WB) want to make money it’s probably safe to assume they have thought of this.

If you think about it, they could make a huge roster very quickly by just updating the models from MK9 while keeping the moves, adding the movesets from each MKX variation (maybe link the movesets to a visual style for the character - eg Raiden, Dark Raiden, after a big meal Raiden - whatever.

Boom, there you have your big roster. Just like MK Trilogy. Except, no one really remembers MK Trilogy fondly, do they? What people want is a large roster of unique, fleshed out, somewhat balanced characters. And that takes a lot of effort. And frankly adding the 32nd character is diminishing returns. That 32nd character doesn’t really lead to a huge number of sales from people who sat there and said “Wow, a new mortal Kombat game! 31 Karacters eh? Well maybe I will pass…” But it takes just as much time and effort to make as the third character.

1 Like

Let’s not forget this fact right here:
Ronda Rousey as Sonya Blade
Zelina Vega cosplayed as Jade during the reveal
Xavier Woods cosplayed as Shao Kahn during the reveal
Kofi Kingston cosplayed as Shang Tsung during the reveal

That’s three out of four characters confirmed so far (even before the leak). I hope we get Shang Tsung and to top things off, I believe Shang Tsung (obviously from a different timeline) or someone else killed Goro and ruined his entire island (this a theory).

1 Like

Some people think TER could be Terminator, who would obviously be a DLC character (probably a wave 1 character whhich would be why he’s in the Steam acheivments now). If that’s true there’s an extra spot for Shang! Please be true!

They also interviewed people who talked about Noob Saibot and Li Mei. Please Please Please! Bring back Li Mei! And Sektor!

NRS should do what Capcom did and do an official character popularity pole. But have it be like a constant thing. That when you want you can go in and change your votes.

1 Like

Yeah I’m really glad about that too. She looks like a warrior that’s ready to fight (minus the high heels lol). NRS is doing a really good job with striking the right balance in terms of looks for characters. Jade doesn’t look like Sonya, and that’s a good thing. The two of them shouldn’t look alike. But Sonya looks straight military, as she should, while Jade does have a bit more sex appeal, but she’s not wearing some sort of harem bikini that looks like it was designed by a horny teenager.

The difference is that SCV removed a substantial portion of its fan favorites while replacing them with less appealing kid versions of essentially the same characters. NRS at least had the older characters in MKX while bringing in new characters that largely felt distinct from a moves standpoint.

As a longtime fan of Baraka and Kabal, I just get used to the fact that each them will be in a game, then not in the next one, so I find other characters that I like enough and use them. Great thing about MK is that they have a lot of variety to choose from and if some of the mainstays aren’t there, chances are other mainstays that missed the last game will be coming back.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve seen someone put themselves out there to that extent, only to be completely disproven so quickly. Not only did D’vorah come out and completely destroy his list within a short time period, but he also had Kronika on his roster, and it came out roughly two days later (I think) that she wasn’t going to be on the roster.

I mean WOW. To act as though you have the inside info to SUCH an extent, only to immediately get two strikes against you. I don’t know if he was banking on the idea that they’d show some really obvious characters for a while and people would forget that he pulled this info out of his ■■■ by the time something came along to disprove him or what.

While I doubt this was the case, it almost wouldn’t surprise me if NRS fed the Dvorah info to MS specifically to disprove Zombie’s leak given how adamant he seemed about having the definitive info. Either way, as far as I’m concerned, that guy’s reputation is absolutely shot to hell. I’d never trust a word that guy says if he ever claimed to have inside info again. Guessing others will pepper his comments with this incident if he comes back and says “I know who’s in the first Kombat Pack.”

Thing is though, everyone has their opinions of who they want to see and which mainstays they like more than others. From that list, the only characters I’d really want are Reptile and Ermac and even then, I wouldn’t mind it if they missed a game.

I’d still be bummed that characters like Smoke, Shang Tsung, Takeda, Fujin, Sareena, Reiko, Kai, Nitara, Li Mei, Mavado and Kira weren’t in. But a lot of people don’t care about the 3D era characters. They simply can’t please everyone, not out of the gate and probably not after DLC either. That’s just the reality of having so many characters in a franchise.

Smoke
Shang Tsung
Fujin
Sareena
Takeda
Kai
Mavado

If I had 7 more:

Nitara
Li Mei
Havik
Reiko
Kira
Tasia
Kung Jin

I wouldn’t mind seeing something like that, for sure. They just remove a character from the poll once they’ve been revealed and if you voted for that character, you’re now allowed to vote again for someone else that hasn’t been revealed. I like that idea. Maybe they give you five votes at the beginning, but you can only vote for a character once.

Yeah I’d really like to see Noob and Li Mei return. I dug her new look in MKX’s story, and Noob shouldn’t sit out more than one game. He’s just too cool and too fun to use IMO.

I really enjoyed the story cameos in MKX, and it seems as though many of them are becoming playable characters in this game. Baraka, Kabal, Rain is heavily rumored… I just hope Fujin and Sareena finally get their chance to shine.

2 Likes

Now that’s where our opinions differ friend.

Lei Mei. Ashrah. Fujin. Kai. Daegon. I want these guys back. Maybe Havik and Hotaru if you catch me in the right mood. Oh. And Kira and Kobra. They could be cool if done right.

What if instead of just Noob Saibot they bring back Noob-Smoke?

I was thinking that they could hire more people and have a 60 character roster at the same time.If NRS can at the moment produce a 30 character roster in 2 years, with double guys there they could do 60. The total price in 2 years would be 200$. each year = 60$ basic edition + 40$ DLC. It would be like selling 2 games in one. I think 80% of the people would buy that in a 2 year period.
As for balancing, i think that with characters having so much moves and customization, balance depends on the players. The creators only have to check if there is a really crazy move. Plus I do not think that balancing is that difficult. You just balance each move.
As for variety IMO it depends on the number of people who work at a project. More people would give more variety and ideas, and I do not think that variety has a limit of 30 or 60. Like now for example Reptile may not be in the game (well, i do not find a good reason but let’s say) because there are a lot of ninjas or there is another green character or there is no time to make him. But wouldn’t more people make him different and unique? and wouldn’t the funs buy him? i think they have the potential and they are not using it, because, i guess, their logic is to never give it all, or give a half. And that is against the game spirit :smiley:
Anyways…

1 Like

But that costs money. Don’t you think WB and NRS have done a cost/benefit analysis? Games have to make a profit. If you’re keeping a game in development for years and years, or you’re doubling your staff, you’re cutting in to the profit, perhaps significantly. I honestly don’t know how Square Enix is able to keep games like Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VII Remake in development for years and years, but it’s generally not a good idea from a business standpoint.

Wait, I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying that in order to cover the cost of doubling the staff, you would sell MK11 for $200?

If that’s what you’re saying, then no, 80% of people would not buy MK11, which means all of that additional output cost would be that much harder to recover in sales, but furthermore, people would be utterly outraged at a base price that high. WB / NRS would have a PR backlash that makes Battlefront 2 look miniscule in comparison. $200? That’s almost as much as a console right now. Imagine if every developer did that. No one would be able to afford this hobby.

Also, you kinda have to think about the sheer amount of damage that would do to the brand. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that selling a fighting game with a base price of $200, regardless of how many characters there are, would almost assuredly kill that franchise. It’d be a massive PR hit that could likely sour fans on that series for years to come.

So you’d put out a broken game and go through the PR nightmare and fan backlash instead of doing the balancing yourself? People already lose it when they think a character is too strong and you want them to just throw it out there and let the players have at it?

Also, I don’t think you “just balance each move.” There’s likely a lot more to it than that. Curious if any experts or devs want to weigh in on that. But I’d think that would be rather difficult, and when you raise the character number to 60, it becomes even more of a task.

At the end of the day, they still have to figure out the best way to realize their vision for a character, and I think at some point, the number of cooks in the kitchen offers diminishing returns, but who knows.

What are you basing that on, exactly?

2 Likes

I have never both agreed and disagreed with a post in equal amounts before.

1 Like