Mortal Kombat 11

i mean every game costs 100$. if you bought full I2 and MKX, you spend 200$. So instead of having an empty year, they could double each game.

i think that balancing a character does not depend on the other characters. Otherwise i think it would be impossible for even a 10 character roster to get balanced. So i guess the balance comes from their general experience which is translated to “balance every move” or give many moves. + i think the idea of balance stood for earlier games that were simple, so a super move could me critical. Now it is difficult for a character to be overpowered because every character has overpowered moves.

There are about 80 MK existing characters.

Yeah but that’s two separate games that came out years apart and the base games were $60 each. People had the option to spend money on DLC later. If you put a base game on the market at $200; a market that fully expects fighting games to cost $60 for the base experience, there will be a massive amount of sticker shock for most players.

You also have to consider what the rest of the market is doing. Soul Calibur VI launched at $60 and it has story modes, 20+ characters… It has the stuff that people are used to when it comes to what’s considered a complete experience. If you drop a $200 game next to that $60 game and say “yeah well it has double the characters,” I really don’t think that’s going to fly with most fans.

You think that they can figure out how overpowered a character is just by looking at the character themselves in a vacuum? I mean, I’d have to think it’s at least a combination of what the character can do, their intended strengths and weaknesses and what not. But also how they handle other characters strengths and weaknesses.

True. But how is making the game that they want to make, with a story focused on a smaller number of characters, against the game’s spirit? I mean, could you imagine how difficult it would be to have a story with 80 characters in it in a video game? George R.R. Martin doesn’t even focus heavily on 80 characters and he’s had thousands upon thousands of pages to work with.

Imagine how long a story mode would have to be to properly incorporate 80 characters. They can’t really even do it with the 25-30 characters they usually have. Kung Lao was playable in the last game and I don’t think he appeared in the story for more than five seconds.

Now, you might not care that much about the story and if that’s the case, then that’s fine. Your opinion and all that. But they do and a lot of fans do too. Plus, in addition to a story mode that would likely have to be 30+ hours long, again, you’re talking about balancing 80 characters with several moves and variations and fatalities and crushing blows and colors and clothing pieces and on and on and on.

That’s such a massive undertaking, one would have to think they’ve looked at what they can do from an output standpoint and they’ve staffed up accordingly. At some point, all the time and work and money spent going in diminishes the returns coming back for WB in sales.

What do you disagree on? Just curious.

I do not mean 200$ at the beginning. 60$ at the beginning and 200$ for everything in a 2 year period.
Same with the characters, 25-30 at the beginning and 60 at the end. The story would still include about 25-30 characters as it is now.

1 Like

I’m a firm believer that game developers are undercharging us to keep us buying and that it’s hurting the industry. I also really like large rosters because I don’t like online play, customization, and challenge modes. So a large roster gives me the most play time with a fighting game. There’s also the posts I was making last night about balancing freshness and familiarity. If the roster was larger they could do both. I can’t help but wonder how many more characters they could have added in their past couple games if they hadn’t had to spend time and money on variations and gear.

I don’t know how much it’s comparable, but in terms of sheer amount of content, I always feel like NRS games lack in comparison to other AAA titles. The stuff that’s there to keep you playing doesn’t really mean anything. Unlocking gear and items and the stuff in the krypt was always just kind of mindless busy work. It never feels like you’re accomplishing anything. ESPECIALLY sense, in Iniustice 2, you could get multiple copies of the exact same gear piece.

But then again, fixing these issues would result in higher budgets and longer dev cycles. Which would hurt a game in such a niche genre. And you’re right about how nobody would pay for a game for more than $60 unless they think they’re getting “extra content”. But that’s a problem on us, not the game industry. Gaming is an expensive hobby. We need to except that and understand that if we want things to get better we’re gonna have to fork over more cash for base price titles. But that problem will not be fixed overnight and it’s certainly not practical advice unless we can change the culture.

Both sides have extreme issues, and we can’t just go all the way to one or the other. At the same time I don’t think we’re quite at the happy medium yet.

Of course, all of this would be fixed if they did a spin-off that brought back everyone Tekken Tag Tournament style, but with little to no story outside of endings and… did that game have other modes? I never looked.

Do a $60 game with $140 worth of DLC. I’d invest, but the optics aren’t exactly very good to the gen pop.

if a year after the release they were announcing that there will be a second round of the same amount with all the missing characters wouldn’t people be happy?

We really don’t know. Because something else like that has never been done before. It’s a gamble.

1 Like

Imagine trailer with Cyrax, Smoke, Sektor, Ermac, Fujin, Sindel, Mileena, Noob Saibot, Kenshi, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Reptile, Shang Tsung, Ashrah and 16 more. I think every MK player would buy that.

It depends on how much it costs. I would. But we really don’t know. There is no test case for this, and the general mindset around DLC is a negative one. I find it hard to believe they haven’t considered this in the past, and if they have there has to be some reason why they decided it wasn’t a good idea. Doing something like that would also help with keeping their titles around longer, which is something that people often complain about. But if any studio could be classified as having ADD it’s NRS. They “get tired and need a break” from each series very quickly. There’s the possibility that they wouldn’t do that because they’d get bored.

1 Like

Okay. I’ve talked about this before, but it’s really starting to get to me. Why am I not hyped up for this game? In the past I’d be going ape ■■■■ frantically posting anything I can up until release. But now… it just feels like the same old song and dance again, slowly drip feeding us characters until the release, release game, reveal and release DLC characters for the next year, complete silence until a year later and we get the next game revealed. I wouldn’t mind if it was something other than just, another Mortal Kombat, but that’s exactly what it is. It’s just another Mortal Kombat game. There’s no real hype to it. And I LIKE Mortal Kombat. It’s weird and I don’t like it. It’s somehow generating anti-hype. That combined with what’s going on with Smash has created some sort of a hype black hole that’s keeping me from getting hyped for ANYTHING. Not for DMC, not for CTR, not for Bayonetta 3 or Astral Chains. I don’t know. It’s weird. I feel like I need a huge injection of something really new or really exciting to break me out of this funk.

Is this happening to anyone else or am I just weird?

TER is actually Geras. It was his “unofficial” codename before they decided on Geras.

1 Like

2 Likes

I deleted my post because i double checked and I was wrong. But how does that image prove what you are saying?

Name at the top right is the code name for the file of the character. Sonya is SON, Geras is labeled as TER.

It was just some proof, that’s all.

I… did not see that. Oops. Where did you get this?

Well, this all but guarantees that the other two are newbies in my book. And it also means we have a single unfilled slot on the main roster.

It’s a picture from the Russian Reveal event. So some of the leaks could be true, yes. But some of them could be ones we aren’t suspecting.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say that if it likes up with a preexisting character than it’s probably them. Granted it’s only 3 letters, buy how many characters in MK’s past have had the same first three letters of their names. Even Geras is only different by one letter from his “code-name”. To me this is more proof that they aren’t “code names” just the actual name each character was going by at X point in development whenever these were coded. Like, they’re not meant to keep the names secret and throw people off, they’re just… they’re names at that point in time.

I think you’re weird. No offense. :smirk:

So the leaks aren’t as accurate and Boon knew it? If that’s the case than wow!

None taken. I just wish I knew why.

Not accurate is a bit of an over exaggeration. More like, out-dated as far as the names of newcomers.