Mortal Kombat 11

Yeah, I think at this point it has to be legit. Between Boon even addressing it in a way that appears to denote frustration (albeit in a rather lighthearted way) plus Steve Brownback, NRS’ Senior QA Analyst simply tweeting “like what a bummer” without context a few days ago, more or less when the leak first came out… I think it’s aaaaalmost safe to say we can expect the characters from the Steam leak.

So yeah, I believe it was Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Jade, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs, Rain (or Raiden, possibly), Frost, Kotal Khan and Erron Black along with three new characters. That seems like a nice group to me.

I do tend to wonder how intentional something like this is though. Leaking one or two characters, fine. But leaking ten plus characters? What does that really accomplish beyond getting some buzz for a few days in February when the game’s not set to come out for two plus more months? Wouldn’t it make more sense to keep the hype train going all the way up to the game’s release with surprises and what not? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, if it was unintentional, then that sucks for them. I’m sure they have a roll out planned that likely involved surprising fans, but oh well. What can ya do?

It helps people like me who hate the drip feeding. Like, it’s just frustrating. A fighting game lives or dies by its roster. That’s the main selling point. And keeping it hidden for so long feels sleezy to me. Especially with how long we’ve had to wait between trailers in the past, when a trailer comes out and it’s not someone I wanted, I get dissapointed. Unless I knew ahead of time and set my expectations. Plus, seeing how they play and their design is still a cool surprise sense a name doesn’t give you much TBH. So for whatever reason I enjoy the leaks and look forward to them.

Leaks involve someone illegally going into the code in order to deliberately ruin a developers plan of announcements. It is the equivalent of running up to a friend to tell them what someone else got them for their birthday two weeks before their birthday. It sucks. Whether people are happy to have the information early or not is beside the point.

It simply remains true that you can’t put anything on PC if you don’t want it hacked.

5 Likes

I get that. I never said it was.

Personally though, if I were to make a sea creature, I’d make it like the dude from Hellboy. Not immediately base it around an animal either.

1 Like

If “CET” isnt Cetaphil then I’m going to be upset. Here are 3 easy variations right out the gate!
BOOM!

9 Likes

Don’t tell my relatives but… I do that too. Amazon Wish Lists lets you sort so you can see what people have purchased off of it. And again. It sets my expectations so that when I get there i’m not super excited for something that I won’t get. I can get properly excited for what I actually DID get and I don’t look like a jerk to my family.

All-new series on the official Mortal Kombat YouTube channel:

2 Likes

Curious to see how this goes.

Also this guy offers his own opinion of the roster leak.

If there was a Mortal Kombat x Street Fighter game, am I wrong in assuming it would probably heavily feature characters from the original trilogy and the Street Fighter 2 series. Forget heavily, probably exclusively.

But then again, Juri vs Kano

that’d be neat, but I think Ed said it wouldn’t work due to fatalities. But back when I was interested in Street Fighter my favorite was Blanka.

I had this idea that would kind of make it work. Akuma uses this force called the Satsui no Hado (think the dark side of the force). It can happen to any fighter though. It overcomes then when their desire to win becomes so great that they would commit murder. This is where Evil Ryu comes from. The idea was that, during the fatalities, the characters would ALL be overcome with the Satsui no Hado. The villains already kill people. None of them hide the fact that they do it. It’s just not shown on screen. But I think this would work for the heroes. Even for the MK characters. I still don’t think that the heroes in Mortal Kombat are actual killers. The story doesn’t portray them as characters who would do that. So I think this would work. It’s not Ryu or Chun-Li who’s killing, it’s EVIL Ryu and EVIL Chun-Li.

That being said, I really don’t know what they would do about the gore. Like, I don’t want to just tell Capcom to suck it up because I can understand why they’d be uncomfortable with it. But at the same time, a few concessions would have to be made. Who knows.

On top of that it doesn’t seem like the MK games (or recent ones) have ever gotten a release in Japan.

I don’t know why they wouldn’t. They might not do well, but they probably at least sell them.

well it could have to do with the violence which doesn’t make sense considering that we have anime that portrays the blood and gore (ever seen Baki or Jojo?) Then again, it could be from how realistic the games aesthetics have gotten.

Japan tends to be more strict on outsiders than they are with their own stuff. Half the complaints about the original Xbox there also rang true of the PS2.

Japan tends to have strict-ish laws around hyper-violence in videogames (particularly dismemberment), and as Thought says, they are generally more accommodating to their own works that skirt the line than to that of foreigners.

2 Likes

That being said, I just want to have characters from both series finally meet and fight. I almost don’t care what concessions get made in terms of violence.

So per Tyler, it looks like tomorrow’s Kombat Kast is going to have:

-New Character reveal
-Baraka walkthrough
-Washed Up Warriors
-Wheel of Khaos

I believe washed up warriors is just two of their devs playing against each other and I can’t recall what wheel of khaos is, but I think it’s something along those lines as well. Can’t remember for certain.

Either way, I’d bet all the money in my wallet that Kitana gets revealed tomorrow. We know the character’s going to be female. Anyone think we’ll get someone different?

It does seem like it should’ve happened by now, doesn’t it. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Street Figher X Tekken situation where Capcom makes the game and does what it can to fit MK characters in to the SF world. I think if they went that route, people wouldn’t be quite so angry about the lack of blood and fatalities and what not.

2 Likes

If that’s the way it’s gotta be then fine. I’ll take it. Just make the characters play like the characters and don’t flanderize their personalities.

Also. We’re probably getting either Kitana, Jade, or Frost. I’m hoping for Frost.

1 Like

Honestly I think that would have to be the way they go with it. Maybe NRS consults on some of the gameplay, character art / style and maybe they even do the cutscenes and story and what not and that’s the collaboration, but otherwise the art style, gameplay and “home game” setting is the Street Fighter universe. I think that’s the only way this would get made, unless Capcom suddenly decides it’s cool with their characters being all bloodied and beheaded and what not.

1 Like