Mortal Kombat 11

:heart_eyes:tentacles

Love Kano but his 1st Fatality is kinda lame…I was like WTF?? lol …Well I have to get some sleep. WIll play some more tomrorw…Kollecotrs edition …ohhhyuuuuurrr!!!

enjoy the game everyone, i may pick this up when theres a steam sale and its sold at a discount. till then train hard and get some wins!

3 Likes

Mine had downloaded last night at 9:00 eastern when I finished watching game of thrones ( ■■■■ that show has gotten good), but it wouldn’t let me play. So looks like I will have something to do after I get home from work tonight and cut the grass, lol.

Good luck everyone and I hope you’re having fun.

3 Likes

The game is awesome. So many things to do. Great.

Got to play for a couple hours last night. Didn’t touch the story mode but everything else is pretty great so far. Tutorials are nice and the online is working smoothly. The new Krypt is also really cool, though it seems NRS still has some balancing to do with reward progression from standard activities.

I like how the Krypt has unplayable characters in there, and how you use their stuff to explore. Not all of them are redesigned but it’s cool how they were included at all.

I’m in agreement with Storm on this. Story discussion can and should happen here, but absolutely should be behind spoiler tags in order to avoid anyone ending up reading details they’ve not got to experience yet, unless they purposefully view them.

1 Like

So I stayed up until 3am last night playing through the story and I have to say I absolutely loved it! I won’t spoil anything, but if anyone wants to talk to me about it, I’m down to exchange some opinions and insights.

There were a few issues that I could see people being annoyed by, no question. But there are plenty of ways to nitpick a video game story and plenty of ways to explain those nitpicks away. Taken at face value, I still found it to be a more compelling and well rounded tale than MKX’s story, with fewer moments of characters making extremely counterintuitive decisions, fights seemingly springing out of thin air for no reason and a few of the other problems that have bitten them in the past. It’s not perfect, but to me it’s the best story mode in a fighting game, bar none.

Oh, and can we please get Charon as a roster character?? :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a couple other non-story related observations:

The stages in this game are the best collection of stages in any MK game. While there are a few others spread out in games that I might like as much or more, no game in the series comes anywhere close to the overall quality and sheer beauty of the full group of stages. Everything from the Fire Garden to Goro’s Lair just exudes detail, color and character.

The cross-ups in this game feel a thousand times better than any other MK game. Holy crap, jump kicking in an MK game feels natural for the first time in I don’t know how long. I think slowing things down really helps the overall fluidity of character movements. It not only makes the game easier to play, but it somehow feels as though it has an extra layer of polish because of it, if that makes any sense.

On the downside, I think the consumables and all the currencies were a bad idea. It feels like a less fun, less rewarding version of Shadowlords mode and while I loved that mode, it was still very divisive in the KI community. So to take the grinding for money to spend on chests that may contain stuff like more items to help you grind… Eh, I dunno.

I kinda miss the days when the krypt had hidden characters unlocked in it, and I’d love to see them find some more fun and interesting ideas to put in there beyond the usual stuff. I haven’t touched the krypt yet. I’ve heard it has a lot of callbacks, which is nice. But it feels like the whole loop of “grind for money to spend at the krypt, then go back and grind more” could’ve been more rewarding by the sound of it.

Ah well, we’ll have to see how they tweak the reward system, which I believe is supposed to happen today. Maybe that’ll help?

Either way, I’m very happy with the game so far. A few minor issues, but none of them hinder my ability to enjoy this near masterpiece.

2 Likes

We played abit of story. Alot of emotional moments. After fighting Sektor the throws and other moves have not changed. Might be a sign of him not making the game even as DLC.

It’s a good story so far though. It even showed a side of Tarkatans I’ve never seen.

2 Likes

Agreed.

3 Likes

I like the idea of the Krypt a lot more than I’ve ever enjoyed unlocking things through that system. I think it’s a nice idea, but at the end of the day I just end up looking up the “really cool stuff” that I want to unlock and then painfully struggling through the krypt to open them up. Which turns into a drag and is more and more of a drag as they make the krypt more and more elaborate. I don’t really want to be lost while looking for the gizmo to open up the cool outfit I want.

I have just touched the game and done the basic tutorials. They are pretty standard, but it’s nice to see just what a truly new player would need to know before even beginning to be functional in the game. I wish more people in the FGC would be a little more thoughtful about this stuff when they think about “assistance” measures and execution barriers etc.

Any way, so far - as expected - the game certainly has a high production value.

No Joke either. I’ve never seen a Tarkatan look afraid.

3 Likes

Flawless block is exactly the kind of nightmarish execution barrier that I hate. Even knowing the exact timing of the same move coming over and over again I can hit the button with that much precision once in every 10-20 tries.

1 Like

I spent my morning playing MK11’s story mode. Very good story overall and there were plenty of awesome moments. MK11 is fantastic to look at on the Xbox 1X. The characters look gorgeous, animations and all.

Also D’vorah is genuinely creepy. I know a certain Ostrich @TheNinjaOstrich that will want to stay in the shower in a fetal position due to some interactions with her.

In terms of gameplay. It is MK through and through. It feels a whole lot better than MKX, however some of the advanced combos and timing is crazily difficult. I find it strange that some combos in the tutorial string together smoothly. Others, it takes an act of godhood to get all the inputs to register.

I think it is the Almost 40 Syndrome. :joy_cat:

1 Like

I hope not. I’m well over 40, lol.

I couldn’t do these things when I was younger either. Maybe it’s the “over 23” syndrome.

2 Likes

Your over 40…? I thought we were close to the same age. :joy_cat: I sadly turn 40 in May. :crying_cat_face:

That may be me you’re thinking of? I’ll be 39 in May myself.

I don’t think this technically counts as story spoilers as much of it was shown in story trailers and such, but I’ll go ahead and put it in “SPOILERVISION!!” just to make sure I don’t ruin it for anybody:

I really like how the old vs young Johnny Cage parts were handled. It’s almost like NRS were using them as avatars for the general sub sections of the fanbase, the younger Johnny for the (and I’m heavily leaning into the quotes here) “immature” group that’s all about being cool and only thinks about Sonya in terms of T & A, etc. and then the older Johnny who’s “grown up” who’s been a father and has been in a meaningful relationship with Sonya, etc. I just found it funny how, to me anyway, they kinda both encapsulate a lot of the debating around the changes in character designs, in the female characters. Then again, it is all up to interpretation, but that’s what I kinda got out of it. Let’s just say I could see myself back-handing a younger version of myself over some of the general immature attitudes I had when I was younger similar to how Johnny does his younger self.

3 Likes

Don’t read if you don’t want spoilers

I don’t think the story was handled very well. I know I’ve thrown out fanfic-esque details about what I’ve specifically wanted to happen, but the fact that they didn’t follow my script isn’t why I’m dissatisfied. I actually like the thematic execution of the past coming back to mess with the present, and only by learning from both can one genuinely make things better. But I don’t think they really stuck the combo, if you know what I mean. Like, Dark Raiden and Zombie Liu Kang got no closure or comeuppance for their actions. They didn’t resolve anything. They didn’t get reach an understanding. They didn’t reconcile. They didn’t even kill each other. Dark Raiden just vaporizes after chapter 2 and Zombie Liu Kang dies the same warped man he was throughout the story. Good Raiden and Living Liu Kang didn’t need to learn these lessons, so why are they the ones we follow in this story.

And as for the ending… is this really the direction they should go? Do we really need ANOTHER reboot? It hasn’t even been a whole decade sense MK9, and this ending gives us every reason to believe that they will start over from the beginning again in MK12. God Liu Kang and God Kitana will likely not factor into the story in any major way, and we have no reason to believe that Mortal Raiden is even still a thing. Like, he’s just gonna die in the time of the dinosaurs. So any Raiden we get in sequels will likely revert to the status quo.

Where I think this story mode shines is in the smaller moments and Arcs. Jax’s redemption. Young Johnny and Young Sonya interacting with their futures. Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting together as bros. Young Scorpion’s redemption. Kotal and Jade’s whole plot. That was all great! I just feel like the main crux of the story is flawed and the future of the franchise is murky and uncertain.

Also, multiple MK timelines? They’ve been hanging around DC for too long. That’s a joke, I actually think that idea was really cool.

Just a shame we’ll probably never see Kronika again except as non-cannon DLC. Unless Liu Kang and Kitana create a new version of her as like, a minion. That way she can still begat Cetrion and Shinnok. Like, they want to give everyone a fair shake to make their own choices, so why would they completely erase anyone from existence.