Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite

I’m rather disappointed by the overall roster. The fact that there’s only 4 female characters in a roster of 30+ is kinda repulsive. Also the fact that the Marvel side tries to tie in characters that are relevant to their whole cinematic universe while none of the Capcom characters are relevant… maybe other that Ryu and Chun Li… but we can discuss how relevant they really are…

So the X-Men are out because Marvel is angry at Fox having the movie rights for them and don’t want to promote those characters to give Fox an advantage (that’s actually one of the reasons)… But we could have had Black Widow! She’s in both the Avengers movies and the Captain America movies, and she’s badass!

Sorry about the slight rant… had to get this out.

2 Likes

I agree, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Jessica Jones. They all should have been there.

An aside however, Capcom doesn’t HAVE anything relevant in this day and age besides Street Fighter and Monster Hunter. Both of which are there. OK. Resident Evil. That too, I would love to see V. Joe and Amy come back.

Not to mention Elektra, Quicksilver, Daredevil, Nick Fury, Luke Cage…

There are tons of Marvel characters that I’d love to have seen.
It’s nice to see X, Zero, Dante, Morrigan and Jedah on the Capcom side, but none of them are relevant today and so many other cool Capcom characters that were in past games were left behind while characters like Nemesis, Spencer, Frank West and Firebrand… Ugh

When you guys make team names, yo got to be a bit more creative. Mashing names together is ok, I guess, but…

Binary Justice (Capt. Marvel & Capt. America)

Web-Slingin’ Striders (Spiderman & Hiryu)

Remember, People forget that Strider is a title, not his name

We’ve Covered Wars Y’know ( Chris & Frank West)

Guardians of ■■■ Kickin’ (Gamora & Rocket Racoon)

To name a few. Give me a team, and I’ll create a creative name for them if I can. It’s fun lol

Some names can be canon as well, such as…

Maverick Hunters (X and Zero)
Makai Rulers (Morrigan and Jedah)

Stuff like that. ^^

2 Likes

My issue with the roster, in addition to the lack in women, are the fact that there’s only seven new characters, and many of the returning characters are super safe roster picks like Ryu, Chun Li, Captain America, Morrigan, Hulk and others that we’ve already seen on one or more occasions in this series already.

Sure, I don’t mind some of the more popular characters coming back over and over again, but were Darkstalkers fans really clamoring for Morrigan AGAIN over the likes of many other characters that have never been in a Vs game before? I think it’s awesome that Jedah’s going to be in MVCI, but a few more Darkstalkers that aren’t Morrigan would’ve been nice, like Rikuo, Donovan, Q-Bee, Sasquatch, Victor, Bishamon, etc.

Same goes for Street Fighter. All the new characters introduced in SFV and we’re stuck with Ryu and Chun Li for the 90th time. How about Juri, Ibuki, Necalli, Rashid, Laura, Alex, Rose, Gouken, etc?

I know the initial roster isn’t huge and I’m sure they want people to recognize a substantial portion of the roster regardless of which fandom they’re coming from, but it’s not like they don’t have a few deep cuts in there like Firebrand, Arthur, etc, but if you’re going to do that, why not just make them characters that haven’t been in the game as recently as UMVC3 (for example)?

Oh well, maybe DLC will fill this roster out in to something I’ll be more interested in over time. I saw one rumor that had a few Darkstalkers coming in that I’d like to see, though the recent rumored leak doesn’t have them, so who knows. Either way, I’m still a little interested, as these games always tend to be fun. Not sure if I want to get it day one or wait for a consolidated version. I might just have to give in to temptation and go day one. :slight_smile:

Juri and Rashid could both be really cool and new additions to the roster. I’d also like to have seen Donovan. I got Jedah though, which in my opinion is the best addition to the roster. I love Jedah. :heart:

1 Like

I’m placing my would-be money for mvci into my iPhoneX

Yeah I’m really psyched to have Jedah in the game as well. That’s the kind of surprising, yet cool deep cuts I like to see in an MVC game, which is why this game, with so many returning characters and safe characters is a bit of a letdown.

But again, I don’t want to be too negative. They could blow us away with DLC over the next who knows how long. Maybe this roster doubles in size over the next year or two and many of our favorites make first appearances or welcomed returns. I’m just trying to decide if I want to get in on the ground floor and pay so much to get everything earlier, especially when most of this roster doesn’t overly excite me.

The roster is super disappointing IMO.

Marvel failing to understand that legacy(Doom, Magneto, Wolverine…) characters are important for the people is bad, although I can see from were it comes. But Capcom justifying it saying that we still have “their functions” is bonkers, surrealist

My biggest dissapointment tho goes to the characters gameplay design. They are mostly copy & paste versions of their mvc3 versions, which could be acceptable in a +40 roster with at least 12-15 newcomers. Instead, we got the worst MVC roster ever, and the best characters are probably going to be DLC.

But there is more! Capcom UI design is getting even worse, if that is possible. As SFV, p2 doesn’t have a rematch option when playing local

Capcom really did some sloppy work here, and I’m not going to support them while they make games like this

1 Like

I see @TheKeits posting about MvCi a lot on Twitter. Maybe he’d like to join in on this discussion, hmmm?

This is SO my character:

Gamora :heart:

I love flashy characters lol

If I’m gonna be honest, I thought Juri was a shoo in. Maybe dlc?

I feel like I’m probably one of the few people who is pretty accepting of the lack of X-Men characters in the game and Capcom’s “function” talk. I’ve mentioned a few times already that I see where Marvel is coming from on this one and can’t really fault them at all.

The X-Men showed up in the early Versus games because they were the most popular Marvel property with enough people to actually feature in a fighting game, full stop. Guess what? The X-Men are now way down in the relative popularity/visibility of team-up-able Marvel characters, and to boot are caught up in a nasty license issue whereby increased visibility/popularity outside the comics makes it less likely that the rights will revert back to Marvel. There is almost zero reason Marvel should want to promote X-Men characters in this title over their own (highly profitable MCU) characters.

So what is Capcom to do in this crazy world where half the characters they once had in the series are suddenly off limits? It seems to me that it’s pretty obvious that even if the property itself isn’t allowed, you still want those character archetypes reflected in the final product, as losing gameplay is (IMO) objectively worse in a fighting game than losing lore. So they pointed out a simple truth: characters (from a gameplay perspective) are merely a vehicle for providing different types of gameplay. They are not essential. An armored character archetype does not have to be a hulking Babylonian golem (although that’s pretty freaking cool!), and a tri-dashing mixup madman who can fly across the screen doesn’t have to wear purple tights and a helmet. From a design perspective, the two archetypes can be filled with a character who looks like just about anything.

I get it, we like certain characters and have grown attached to them. But the decision to exclude the X-Men wasn’t (likely) Capcom’s call, and their response was to try and make sure the gameplay functions associated with the characters at least didn’t get lost. They were perhaps a bit inartful about how they said it, but from a design perspective they were speaking the truth, even if it happens to be a truth that fans didn’t want to hear. I think the functions kerfuffle was blown way out of proportion. Capcom made a number of legitimate mistakes that people are justified in complaining about with mvci - I just don’t think the functions thing is one of them.

3 Likes

I think it’s more fo the way they worded the statement. Characters being just functions can easily become a PR disaster. “If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They’re just doing things,” “It’s just the function that people are associating with the character.” It’s this part that is what caused the PR disaster.

I understand what they were trying to do. They probably couldn’t use Fox characters, but they couldn’t say that Marvel won’t let them use Fox characters. Capcom is stuck, but people want X-Men and will keep on asking them.

I feel like Capcom would’ve been better off if they didn’t say that the characters were “just functions”. Instead, they should’ve said soemthi like,“We can’t comment on X-Men, but there will be a variety of playstyles for everyone to try out.”

It’s not that Capcom is wrong, but more like Capcom was just stuck and didn’t know what to do. So they just tried to dodge the questions. Instead, they messed up. I understand why they did what they did though. I don’t understand why the Capcom side of the roster is a “bit” lackluster though, but that’s a different subject.

1 Like

I disagree. That may be a fine reason in a Normal fighting game but in vs games the opposite is more true. Just the name alone of a character is enough to get the game on the public good grace. Real talk at this moment no one cares if magneto has his air dash mixup gameplay. They could literally turn magneto into a trap grappler like kan-ra, change literally his entire Kit and people will still be happy and excited that an xman is in the game. That Mag-fu*kin-Neto is actually back in a game with a cool core gameplay and possibly great netcode and his Welcome to Die! Quote somewhere in there

I really don’t think combofiend (or whoever it was that said it) really meant it and had to say it on behalf of a higher up PR business suit guy or whoever but that was a horrible idea to say that to the public. They basically Told fans that that the reason we love these characters are BS and the true reason we like wolverine is that we instead want a rushdown claw based fighter and we will/should be satisfied with any old random character that has claws in the game (cough black panther cough). Not to say I don’t like black panther but still that function ideology is straight up BS

Edit. I know about the fox liscencing issue and honestly they should have just said that in the interview. I would be willing to bite the bullet and deal with no xmen/fantastic 4 if it took that for fox to let go off the liscence and stop making bad movies. However the reason xmen hasn’t been popular is entirely marvel command in order to starve fox. It’s not because people stopped liking xmen all of a sudden. And they know it too. It feels like they think they know what the fans want more than the fans and that is a dangerous way of thinking

The X-Men are certainly a beloved property. But if we’re talking about Joe Casual, whose familiarity with comic characters comes exclusively from movies and TV (which to be fair, does have notable instances of the X-Men being awesome), which Marvel comic book characters are most likely to draw his attention? The Dark Phoenix from X-Men, or the big bad who’s been haunting MCU movies for almost a decade now? Who is a bigger character now, Iron Man or Cyclops? Gamora or Storm? Rocket Raccoon, or Ice Man? Outside of your Wolverines and Magneto’s, most of the X-Men character aren’t as big-name these days as any of the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy. The last notable X-Men TV appearance was Wolverine and the X-Men (which irritates me on a lot of levels), which ran a single season and ended in 2009. X-Men Evolution ran for 4ish seasons and ended in 2003 (and is notable for improving an insane amount in its short run - the latter seasons are actually really, really good!).

The MCU characters have had tons of more recent exposure not only in their respective movies, but also in various animated works. The Super Hero Squad (2009-2011, with Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk), The Avengers shows (2010-present, with Captain America, Ant/Giant Man, Hulk, Thor, Black Panther, Hawkeye), Ultimate Spider-man (2012-2017, with cameos from Hawkeye, Dr. Strange, Cap, Rocket Racoon, Gamora, Dormammu, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk), and also a currently-running Guardians of the Galaxy show. The list is longer (I got tired of looking), but you get the idea. Wolverine appears in several of the above works, but that’s mostly the end of any tie-ins whatsoever to the X-Men in recent TV. Marvel’s media focus for almost the past decade is based on the properties that are tied into its ongoing MCU works - that has an effect on what Joe Casual finds interesting to play or what Kid Casual tries to get mom and dad to buy.

Would people be happy to have Wolverine and Magneto in the game? Sure! So would I! But if we’re talking about playing the characters that are hot right now (which again, is really what the early Versus games were doing with using the X-Men), then not having the X-Men isn’t some massive loss. The people complaining loudest are the exact same people who are buying mvci anyway; I’d be very surprised if very many casual fans (who drive sales) are particularly incensed that instead of Magneto they have to play Rocket Racoon or Hulk or Thor or etc, etc. They still get to play with the characters who are super hot right now, and that’s what’s more likely to drive sales on the macro level.

3 Likes

That would be fine and all but the 2 questionable characters they left out are Wolverine and Deadpool. I would argue that those 2 are more popular than Captain Marvel (I can see that Marvel wants to push her as the big female of Marvel though) and Hawkeye. I know it has to do with with Fox owning the movie rights but it is a bummer when certain compromises have to be made because of liscencing issues instead of creative decisions.

Honestly, I’ve kinda hoped we’d get some sort of x-men dlc pack. And Wolverine and Deadpool were always characters i thought should be in it. You may recall, i said a couple of months ago how surprised I would be if Deadpool doesn’t show up at some point. Honestly, I’d be fine with Wolverine, Magneto, and Deadpool. Those three, and I’m good. Marvel is so much more diverse than X-Men. I would rather see Marvel more represented as a WHOLE, rather than having a spotlight on X-Men. To me, as someone who’s past experience with marvel was forged in this new “Post X-Men age” it satisfies me. I get it, they were important, and for a while, they were EVERYTHING in terms of Marvel, but the company is now, and always has bean, much more than x-men. It has always bothered me, that Marvel vs. Capcom 2, the game that people consider the best in the series, has really obscure characters like Marrow and Spiral, and yet had no Thor, or Ghost Rider. Plus we still haven’t had any Spider-Man villains besides Venom. Where’s Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman, heck, I’d take Electro or Vulture. To me, it’s like making a DC comics fighter, and filling it with mostly Batman characters. Oh, wait…
I still don’t like that they are completely gone. To use the Batman metaphor again, just take out the unnecessary ones like Poison Ivy and Bane. For X-Men, that means stripping it down to the bare essentials. No more Spiral, Marrow, Silver Samurai, Omega Red, Sentinel, X-23, etc. etc. So that Marvel, as a whole can shine better.

That leaves no excuses on the Capcom side though. That side desperately needs some new blood, and some important past blood.

1 Like

See, and I’d take umbrage at just having another Wolverine and Magneto, and leaving out others. I grew up roughly around the time that Wolverine started dominating the X-Men and Marvel comics (seriously, the dude is in as many teams as Batman :unamused:), but I’m actually a huge fan of the old 80’s Chris Claremont run (which included the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix sagas, Days of Future Past, and God Loves, Man Kills - the inspiration for the movie X2). Anyone who’s a fan of that era of the X-Men knows that Cyclops isn’t just the “nice guy” whose girl Wolverine keeps trying to push up on - the dude is a tactical genius and an inspiring leader. Colossus isn’t just generic Russian muscle, and Jean is a whole lot more than the whiny girl from the 90’s show or the flat portrayals we’ve seen in the X-Men movies. The X-Men roster has serious depth, and I’m tired of seeing that depth get sidelined just so we can make Wolverine the focus…again.

He’s a cool character just like Batman is a cool character, and he suffers from the same flaws of over-exposure and plot armor. Batman became instantly less interesting when they decided to make him a super-genius who gets to draw “but I knew you would do that, so I planned ahead!” cards out of his ■■■, and Wolverine became less interesting when they made it so that he’s functionally immortal and can take anyone in a fight.

Magneto’s okay, but I’d personally be glad to see Wolvie sit this one out. He’s in everything, and his power/effectiveness has ballooned outside all boundaries of good writing because hey, he’s popular.

/rant :joy:

But at least we can all agree that the Capcom side of the roster is weak :smirk::+1:t5:

1 Like