#MakeKanRaGreatAgain

Yeah I did. Fulgore came out Vs Kan-Ra and Thunder. 2 of the best situational counter picks for him in S2. Otherwise he was no where to be seen.

Fulgore is the most complete character in the game. Please stop trolling around here. Yes he got changed. So what? Thatā€™s not the topic here. He is still top tier so please go to the fulgore forum if you got something to complain.

On topic:
I think Kan-Raā€™s biggest draw back is that his mix ups will either hit the opponent or open him up on wiff. He used to have a good left right and right mix up with sand dash and shadow swarm but that got nerfed. Now a lot of stuff is either command grab or no command grab (which also is react able).
There is no reason to not hold down back vs him, besides a huge gamble clutch. And thatā€™s what differs him from the top tiers.

Thatā€™s why I changed to a more defensive style, building up walls with shrap and swarms. Good reads help a lot too

Than you have fulgore, who makes you guess left or right, than high or low, than he pressures a lil more while still being in throw range. And people talk about frustrating arche types lol

1 Like

I will repeatā€¦ Did you watch EVO 2015 Rico suave played fulgore all the way threw too win EVOā€¦ Also Nicky was playing him too in previous tournaments making top 3 but ppl forget that I see. But anyways I always hated this argument- just because a character(s) are not being playing much in TOURNAMENT does not mean there not good or bad.

1 Like

Btw nobody played Kanra at my level of skill back then, besides (The one in only) which didnā€™t even make it out of his pools At evoā€¦

1 Like

Also Kanra beat thunder in s2 you have that fact wrongā€¦ Rewatch evo 2015 and previous tournaments before evo you can see how much success Rico had with his other characters before fulgore.

People fail to forget how strong fulgore was if you elimmate the broken sadira and jago stuff he would be on top even with a manual charge meter for pips he would be the best. Who remembers Ricky walker, Rico, Rebelo, jayslick, and many more online killers with this character that was a problem oh I forgot Alex Valle cā€™mon!!

3 Likes

I know all of them, I learned from all of them. Fulgore has always been very high skill cap very high execution, which is what held him back for a while. People went to Jago, Sabrewulf or Sadira because their stuff was free in S1. Why take the best character if you have to work super hard to win, when a gimmick character can win off a stray hit. I know how it goes. Money is on the line, take the more likely chance than one based on statistics.

Never questioned whether or not Kan-Ra beat Thunder, Fulgore in S2 was very good against both as I stated and is a good counter pick if you can play Fulgore to that matchup. Rico making it out of pools depends on who he played for who he picks. If he played Fulgore from pools to take evo without ever making a character swap would be another story. Rico counterpicked his way through Evo, if Fulgore was good Iā€™m sure he used him. The ability to play many characters if not all is undeniably the best form of tourney play since you can play into any favorable matchup and keep your opponent guessing who you might bring.

I know Nicky was also making top 8 finishes for a while, so were a lot of other characters that didnā€™t usually place well at that time. S3 was probably the biggest patch to help Fulgore out though, in S1 or S2 a good spinal could keep Fulgore starved to the point of only having footsies until he gets instinct. That would be a matchup I would character swap in tourney hands down just because of how bad it could end up against my favor.

I would respectfully submit that arguing how strong Fulgore was or is probably isnā€™t the most productive way to spend this thread. If itā€™s a serious conversation about Kanā€™s overall character strength, then let it be a serious conversation about Kanā€™s overall character strength. To that end, Iā€™d also suggest that Fulgore is probably not the best comparison to make when trying to decide whether or not Kan-Ra deserves buffs. Fulgore is an unabashed top tier, who aside from skewing just about any balance discussion, also has a general toolset that is just significantly dissimilar from Kanā€™s. Even if we werenā€™t talking about a solid Top 3 character, comparing Fulgoreā€™s gameplan to Kanā€™s is comparing apples to oranges.

For a start, I think more the appropriate ā€œbaselineā€ characters to discuss in relation to Kan-Ra are probably the other grapplers and pseudo-grapplers in the cast. How does Kanā€™s (apparent?) inability to pressure without being unsafe compare to, say, Raam? Or Hisako? Or Thunder, or perhaps Glacius? The conversation can never be completely apples to apples because of how fantastically different KIā€™s cast is, but those are probably better characters to compare Kan to given his toolset, not a Fulgore who can literally do just about anything he wants in neutral.

2 Likes

First things first: Kan-Ra itā€™s very unique, both in KI and FG in general. I always thought that Arakune from BlazBlue series has some similarities with him. Speaking about KI, what characters have ā€œsimilarā€ toolset than Kan-Ra? I find these characters have similar points with him, albeit they are very different:

-Arbiter: There are some similarities between Arbiter and Kan-Ra. Both are setup based characters, both can conditionate their opponent with some short of trap.
Kan-Ra sets sand and scarabs, and he can use them both for offense and defense(harder to avoid scarabs, sand traps stings and antilion, sand spikes and long reaching normals at the same time), and he couples this with his command grab, making ā€œblock by defaultā€ a bad idea, and his command grab can lead to combo if you have sand.
Arbiter conditionates you with his grenades(which, as Kan-Ra sand, is situational), making hard to attack or defend yourself if you have one attached, since if you donā€™t block it, you will be open for a combo. Also Arby can continue his combos after a command grab/regular throw/combos if he placed a well timed grenade, similar to Kan-Ra having a sand trap around.
-Gargos: Somehow, they share some traits. Bad defense, boosted by ā€œexternalā€ help(Minions for Gargos, Sand for Kan-Ra), both need to set up some stuff around to achieve their peak momentum(again, minions and sand), both have command grabs that works well when their setups are ready(both can mix up minions and sand attacks/swarms with their command grab), and both have good control from fullscreen, although their best setups needs to be executed up close. Also, both have an auto-attack minion: Shadow sand spike for Kan-Ra, Izzik and Dretch for Gargos

Of course Gargos and Arbiter are VERY different from Kan-Ra, but maybe they are the characters that reminds me more to him.

Funny enough, @F3Sleep also uses them, since he seems to like setup based characters(correct me if Iā€™m wrong :stuck_out_tongue:)

PD: Also, Glacius and Aganos also share some similarities with Kan-Ra, although in a different way

1 Like

In truth I think it will always be hard to balance Kan Ra, much like Sadira. Both characters have a notorious history of becoming overpowered with the slightest nudge. My goodness, Iā€™m already hearing people wanting Sadira to be nerfed again, and she literally just got a few buffs to compensate for her weak damage, of which is now justified.

Itā€™s an unending battle my friend.

I can see them not wanting Kan to go back to his S2 craziness of which made him one of the most hated characters in that season. He was too strongā€¦

I find that, as a Sadira main, I can at least win against him now, but since I never use Kan, nor probably will ever, I canā€™t honestly say what will make him ā€œbetterā€ without making him overpowered once more.

What I can say is this, is that IG is not blind to how a character is performing and they have been relatively quick to buff/nerf what was needed. They did so with Sadira, and Iā€™m sure if Kan falls far too behind, theyā€™ll buff him as well.

1 Like

Yeah I tend to wonder how much of it is ā€œthe character is too strongā€ versus ā€œthe characterā€™s tech is too frustrating.ā€ I mean, one of them is a balance issue from a practical, nuts and bolts standpoint, but the fun-side issue is also valid.

I think that maybe some of the stuff going on with Kan Ra in season 2 simply wasnā€™t intended by the devs (though I could be 100% wrong on that) so perhaps they wanted to get rid of the nonsense, which is fine. But in doing so, it seems like heā€™s a bit less viable, as the buffs werenā€™t really offset at the time. My assumption is that they know this and theyā€™re responding. I just donā€™t think heā€™s quite there yet, though maybe I just need more time with him in his newly patched form.

Either way though, I still canā€™t help but feel like heā€™s missing a few things that would make him more competitive without making him so obnoxious for people to fight against. I donā€™t envy IG as far as Kan Raā€™s concerned. Heā€™s an awesome character, easily one of my favorites in a long time in any fighting game, but he must be hell to balance.

I disagree so hard with you on this.

Nicky didnā€™t play thaw matchup like he knew it. If he did. Kan ra wouldnā€™t have had the opportunity to set that up.

1 Like

After spike or spike ender your only option is a light normal into whirl recap or cr.LP flipout. So both flipout and recap require a light attack at the exact same moment.
Yes you can Antlion recap after the level 4 spike ender and cr.HP allows you to recap with cr.MK xx whirl but they are both very situational.

Given the situation heā€™s in I think IG should definitely fix the scaling on his heavy linkers. Thereā€™s no good reason for him to be getting screwed any time he chooses to use a heavy linker.

My recent post about damage scaling got me thinking about this, and really, kan-ra is hurt by it pretty bad. His only opener that combos from lights is four hits and raises KV considerably, many of his normals are multihit, heā€™s got that linker bugā€¦thereā€™s a LOT kan-ra can do that results in a combo that canā€™t actually reach higher ender levels without spending meter. His shadow scarabs even advance scaling when theyā€™re not openers/linkers!

Itā€™s possible that the edge kan-ra needs is making his multi-hit moves not murder his combo scaling, so heā€™s being rewarded for his offense more consistently overall. I feel like it might not be enough, though.

My bad. I should have elaborated. I disagree that is his only FLIPOUT potential.

This is 100% correct!!

1 Like

I have some words about this. Kan ra actually builds really good meter without a battery Ender. Each blocked scarab from the opponent left in neutral gives you 15-20% shadow meter. He Also gets a meterless shadow scarab from an ender to regulate movement. Kan builds really good meter when he is his tools to keep you out. I canā€™t see why youā€™d say that actually.

Scarabs are negative on block. They also loose to projectile invincible moves. So you are putting yourself in danger by using them just to get some meter.
There are some setups e.g. after a clutch or a shadow clutch ender, that allow to summon a scarab AND apply some pressure, but than you are giving up damage or better setups that have a higher chance to hit.

EDIT: Just found a setup, that makes my last sentence look wrong.

1 Like

That wasnā€™t a comeback. That was more a ā€œHere, I can basically take you out at any point in time of my choosing. But Iā€™m not going to because reasons. Iā€™m just going to sit here and take everything you throw at me because I win anyway.ā€ Then that happened.

If mygod played a character with a fireball he could have continued his little ā€œpride stallā€ the whole way through and won. But since he used wolf he wasnā€™t really threatening anyone form full screen anyway. But whatever thatā€™s the past now. Probably learned his lessonā€¦maybe.

1 Like