LCD's thoughts on KI

It’s up to the player to decide what KI is. The player uses footsies? KI is a footsie game. The player likes to be crazy? KI is a crazy game. The player uses high reward/ low risk chars? KI is a high reward/ low risk game. KI shapes itself to the player’s characteristics. I started playing KI for the first time last year, because of the PC release. I can do whatever I want in the game, like use of footsies, being crazy, using top tier chars, etc. KI evolved, and the new players will redefine the scene. That’s my hope for KI.

2 Likes

Good evening everyone, please allow me to say what I’ve come to say and then I’ll be on my way.

Ya know, there were good reasons why I stopped coming and participating in these forums and this thread is the prime example to the reasons why. Little did I know that by uploading a private YouTube video to my channel in which I humbly discuss my thoughts about a game I’ve had extreme passion for and have poured my heart and soul into for the last 3+ years would incite so much controversy and anger within the community. The fact that I didn’t even bother to publicize and post this video on any social platform should of been a big clue that I didn’t want this to get out of hand as it did. Only out of shear curiosity did I come back to these forums after someone informed me that someone posted a thread here about my video; and not shockingly at all instead of discussing the topics presented this entire thing has turned into a “attack LCD” hate fest as usual.

Sadly, I can only assume that most of you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be constantly hated, made fun of, and looked down upon at every turn. Growing up I spent my entire childhood being bullied to the point of tears simply for being who I am and doing what I love or have fun with; this has been my experience recently with these forums and this community. The developers tell us to give feedback and give suggestions only to my dismay to be criticized at every turn. I never asked anyone to watch this video or have it posted on these forums; nor did I intend for anyone to take my opinion as law; I am simply a single person who is entitled to say what he wants to say as are all of you. There have been many that enjoyed the rant and agreed with many points I had to make, while others hate my guts and disagreed everyone has a right to do that.

I consider myself to be a very friendly and nice person always willing to make friends with anyone who tries and the people I’ve met at various events can hopefully attest to that. The fact that being a normal person just like everyone else here has to deal with this every time I open my mouth is saddening to say the least.

From the bottom of my heart whether you believe me or not I sincerely apologize if over the years I have said anything that offended you or you didn’t agree with. This is not a goodbye post (apprently those are frowned upon here) however as I mention in said video, I will always love and support KI. Even today I’m still enjoying community streams and look forward to the amazing action at Combo Breaker and CEO. Best of luck to all future competitors and to all casual online players continue to have fun and enjoy what you like. Being a long time supporter of playing what you love, I would never in any way shape or form purposefully discourage others from being who they are, saying what they want, or doing what they enjoy.

In closing I’d like to respond to a few comments made here if that’s okay.

Did it ever once occur to you or others that this video wasn’t intended for this forum audience? Yes, many things talked about in this video I have discussed at nausium on these forums in the past. Ever since KICup people have asked me as to why I stopped playing KI, I felt I owed it to those people to give my thoughts; this was for those people. Especially considering the fact that only a small group of the KI community even visits these forums I’m not sure why you would automatically assume it was for you.

For some reason I’ve heard this many times. If people truly believe I stopped playing because I lost to Thomxpson, then I really don’t know what to tell you.

Regardless of whether or not you watched the video, I explicitly mention in it that you can shadow through the meteor before it hits. The point being made was that I didn’t agree with metors coming out after blocking dp reversals at all. To further prove that I indeed lab, some characters with command grabs like gargos can even interrupt with his light spd at close range. Pretty sad that people think this low of me that I wouldn’t know this.

Sadly this is because of my poor reputation for speaking my mind. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut in the future.

I’m sorry you feel this way about me. Statistically speaking I’m one of the most consistent placing players in all of KI tournaments. Here is a list of my placings in order of appearance.

NCR 2014 | 7th
EVO 2014 | ?
Combo Breaker 2015 | 2nd
8Bit-Beatdown W30 | 1st
EVO 2015 | 4th
8Bit-Beatdown W38 | 1st
SCR 2015 | 7th
KI World Cup 2016 | 13th
NWM8 2016 | 2nd
Combo Breaker 2016 | 7th
SCR 2016 | 3rd
Frosty Faustings 2017 | 3rd
KI World Cup 2017 | 9th

Thank you for trying to defend me, for some reason he insists on believing that I want special attention or my word is law. He can feel free to continue to hate my guts, at the end of day I am me and am allowed to express myself as he just did with attacking me.

You’re free to assume as you wish, however I wasn’t burnt out on the game at all. I simply don’t like the direction the game has gone. Quite honestly I did think about this, I decided I wanted to continue to play, but at what cost? Not having fun and being forced? I played World of Warcraft for 8+ years without a hitch, Heroes of the Storm going on 2+ years now with no boredom in sight.

I’m not sure what happened to you Sonic but we use to be good friends, now you have joined the attack LCD crew. The fact you actually believe that when I stream and scream “Keits please!” I’m mad and somehow blame the game is staggering. After 3 years of streaming, one would only assume that people would understand my personality by now. I truly am sorry you feel that this way about me, but there is nothing I can do to change that.

Let’s be honest, things are better when I’m not around. Things stay quiet and peaceful as if we’re in Madara’s Infinite Tsukuyomi.

Have a good one friends, continue to do what you love.
I leave you all with a quote from my good friend Green Goblin.

3 Likes

There was a time where I thought you were an entertaining streamer and had some good ideas and good discussions. I actually enjoyed watching your review of the KIWC 2016 quite a bit.

My feelings changed over time as S3 went on and I’m truly sorry if you feel betrayed.

1 Like

First of all, you haven’t done anything for me. Second of all, I DON’T hate you. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. Third, the money match comment, I added kappa for a reason. I do however find it funny when someone complains about a video game character not showing enough skin lol. Also, quitting after you bragged about how you were gonna destroy and humiliate someone else at KIWC but ended up being wrecked yourself seems kind of convenient/suspicious. But if you say that wasn’t a factor for you to quit, then great. If it was it wouldn’t be a big deal either. A little funny but that’s it lol. Last but not least, a 2 hour video is a little too much. I’m sure you can express your ideas in less time than that. But hey, you do you. Good day.

1 Like

I’ll say it.

Thank you.

Thank you for the years and support you put into this game. Thank you for supporting our pro scene, putting the time in and getting high results. Thanks for the fun KI streams throughout the seasons. Not everyone hates you. Remember this. I wish you well dude! Do what you enjoy, and what makes you happy.

1+ for that Spidey Quote, it’s a good one in Cinema, but it doesn’t apply to you in this situation. But a good quote from Dafoe, nonetheless :thumbsup:

7 Likes

Eh. That may be true but before I stopped watching your stuff, you used to call this and that, him, her and thier mama trash all the time. Everything was “gimmicks” and “KIETS PLZ”. It was funny at first but you was getting pretty salty in those streams. I don’t know if you were trying to be entertaining or what, but I remember you basically calling Thompson trash for using Jago. I don’t think that’s friendly at all.

I don’t have a problem with your opinions about the game. But as a big personality in the community, you have to realize that you have a lot of influence whether you like it or not. The big problem was that your influence and the way you articulated your issues was rubbing off on trolls (let’s be clear it wasn’t just you, it was other prominent players too). And those trolls were coming to the forums trashing the game and ruining the fun for everyone here.

“KI is a trash game now. All your top players agree with me so shut up.”

That is super cool of you. But don’t apologise for having a different opinion. That isn’t what was irritating us.

Larry, you can do what you want. I wish you best and you’re welcome to come back to reclaim your spot in the community too. But you have to realize that you’re inviting all of this negativity by how you carry yourself. This post is pretty good start (minus all the victim complex stuff).

2 Likes

36:25 when you’re talking about Cyberdash Vs Wind Kick. Wind Kick crushed lows, Cyberdash does not. Wind Kick also Anti airs under the right conditions. Cyber dash isn’t a reliable anti air, it only anti airs because he slightly lowers his hitbox when he is dashing. Far reaching normals still beat it it isn’t an end all be all it beats every air normal, you just have to find the one that works, for instance Rash Jump MK won’t ever get anti aired by Cyber Dash. Cyberdash can also be low profiled. So Orchid can slide for free, Omen can slide free, Spinal can slide free, Wulf can slide free, all of these moves Whiff on Wind Kick. Hell orchid can sweep the cyberdash on reaction.

As far as Eyedol vs Maya, you’re comparing a tool that was available all game vs an instinct only trait which is partial.

What I don’t get is that someone will get bopped by a player online, a pro no less sometimes by an upstart, let’s call them and proceed to name call them or criticize their play style. LCD you were guilty of this but not to an extreme degree, and you were cool to watch, but calling anything a dev puts out as lazy is uncalled for and diminishes whatever credibility you had going. If you can’t be more thoughtful then write your thoughts down. It’s unseemly and bad form. Also, you have been to Redmond and could have asked these questions, no? Many of you like to throw around the word pro without really knowing what the term is short for…professional. If your opponent is beating you with gimmicks, then lab it up, if you think you know more about game design than IG, then submit an application, but honestly watching the World Cup this year, you weren’t beaten with gimmicks, just good old footsies and nothing I saw in that tournament was indicative of a game that needs tons of fixes.

5 Likes

I can respect that. While I believe that attrition via evolution (i.e. The game’s evolved in to something you don’t like anymore) can be a form of burn out, as there’s still a substantial amount of stuff that you liked before in the game even now, I’m probably splitting hairs there, so I’ll stand corrected, as you know your mind far more than I do (of course).

As far as where the video was posted, you have to understand that this was just posted here. No context given. I had no idea it was intended to be private. I listened to it and responded. Personally? I wouldn’t put anything on the internet that I didn’t want the public to see, but that’s just me. Stuff happens though, so I don’t mean to pile on.

You’re OBVIOUSLY allowed to speak your mind, but others have that same right too. When you’re the one making the content, you open yourself up to critique, intentionally or not.

For my part, I don’t love the negativity that you’ve brought at times, and it’s not just stating your opinion, but doing so repeatedly and with all kinds of hyperbole, insulting devs that you’ve met face to face by calling them lazy and saying they should do stuff they can be proud of, etc.

It’s your right to put this stuff out there on whatever part of YouTube you prefer to, but that doesn’t mean I have to like everything you say and I’m sure we can agree on that without any hard feelings.

Still, seeing anyone personally attacked for talking about something that’s meant to be an enjoyable, positive experience sucks and if I did that, then I sincerely apologize.

I’m also really sorry you’ve been bullied man. I’d never wish those experiences on you or anyone else, not by any means. Here’s hoping a lot of that stuff is as far in the rear view mirror as humanly possible and responses about this game are compartmentalized into a gaming context as much as can be done. I’m sure it’s not easy at times.

Whatever comes next for KI, I really hope you enjoy it. I hope you get more reasons to talk about this game and this series in a positive way like I’m sure you want to. Best of luck either way.

5 Likes

There is a simple way to get people on the fourm to see you as a great person. Spend some time on the fourm sharing some of your knowledge of the game. Help a person on the fourm every once in a while. “I will admit that I do more than my share of bashing, but I will answer any question I can, if I know the right answer”. Talk to some of the people in the other threads. I am not saying you need to post on the fourm on a daily basis, but more than every 3 to 5 months just to post a dislike about the game. Yes, I know it is your right, and I am not trying to say you can’t do that. Just let people see you post helpful and positive things also.

3 Likes

Injustice comes with old characters and the first games assets. The issue with BB is that there’s so much characters that you have to learn matchups with and A LOT of the chars in the game are seriously gimped because they never really got fixed of their big issues, got nerfed to death, outdated or simply forgotten. Not saying that KI will reach 38+ but it’s a big concern that many games faced

I think the matchup issue exists when you have to deal with a full roster at once. The process of character releasing in KI is different -one after another, so it gives the opportunity to learn to play with the new character and also against him. So, in one or two months, you have the time to learn his good or bad matchups, his moves and all the stuff. One more thing is that most people, including myself, have main characters. So the machtups you have to learn are about (if we have a 30 character roster) 30 if you have 1 main, 60 if you have 2. i think not many people can play more than 3 characters at the same high level. so, matchups are not so much. Also even if you know the matchups it always needs skill to win, because all characters have tools and weaknesses. i think KI is well balanced on that.
So, in general, i think the number is a problem that it is solved by expanding the time of release.

Now, about the quality. i trust IG guys on that. i think they can find great ideas for new characters. And they also spend a lot of time to refresh all the characters, so none gets forgotten. I would like them to do all this for (at least) one more season.

My only worry is THE BUDGET :smile:

Sigh.

Always drama.

Just like you are allowed to say stuff and post things @theLCD3 other people are allowed to disagree with you. That’s not “bullying.”

8 Likes

I respectfully have to disagree. The implication in using that quote is that people only have 2 choices when dealing with LCD…either love him or hate him, for or against. You either agree with the lump sum of everything he says or you’re a hater. There is no middle ground.

I’ve got nothing against him, but I disagree with most of everything he’s been going on about. That doesn’t make me a hater or a bully.

As for anything else I have to say, @Iago407, @SadisticRage76, and @BigBadAndy’s last posts pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

10 Likes

Maybe I’m totally off on this, but from all the complaints I’m seeing from pros like LCD and those who tend to agree with them it seems at the core of everything they feel that the game mechanics currently don’t maintain a stable risk/reward dynamic together?

If that’s the case, I can imagine feeling that way. Moments where you get broken (especially guess broken) immediately after making an amazing read, or when Jago gets a fraction of his lifebar back for one opening after you worked so hard to open him up several times before, or when you get auto-reset with one button and successfully opened up again very fast, or when you miss your counter breaker because you read the action correctly but missed the opponent’s timing by 1 frame, are definitely frustrating.
And I imagine at a pro level, where all players should be very good at combo breaking and using their most powerful tools to turn the tables on you, playing the game can feel particularly taxing and luck-based.

Not sure I would entirely agree with that right now, though. Just because something feels unfair and unstable doesn’t always mean it actually is. And I know from experience that skill levels in KI are very meaningful. But I’ll leave that topic alone for now. Again, maybe I’m completely off-base here.

2 Likes

Can we just repeat this a million times?

3 Likes

Well one thing I think they may have a point about is that combo breaking is too easy (for them). Since our top players should be excellent at recognizing most linker/AD strengths and even sometimes manuals on reaction, I can imagine that doing a combo (especially a longer one) for decent damage feels like flipping a coin for the offense at very high skill levels. I’m not going to blame someone for not enjoying that kind of experience.

I still don’t get the grievances over flilpouts and staggers, though. Flipouts exist in tons of other fighting games, including Street Fighter, except they’re called air resets - and those games’ players just learn to deal with them. And staggers are just… more hitstun for the sake of better follow-up options off of certain attacks. Demanding these mechanics to be outright removed is silly.

Yeah, but the game allows you to use counter breakers to make an interesting contest out of combos. But they all eschew counter breakers as too risky. Then complain about S3 even though the counterbreaker mechanic has been the same since the beginning.

At the end of the day I am not interested in convincing anybody to like the game. If they don’t like it that’s just fine. Move along. Don’t stick around trashing the game.

2 Likes

Next thing you’ll likely want is to turn all the diverse and uniqe characters into a bunch of “human fighters from around the world” : p

Joking aside;
That aspect of crazieness si what makes KI game so exciting and why we even have the diverse cast we have. I wouldn’t say it’s any less ridiculous as Marvel cause you can’t even break combos in Marvel at all (Infinites anyone?) Plus undertstanding how to use combo and counter breakers keeps things going out well. You can’t play KI like SF, that was never how the game was suppose to be intended. It’s a good thing KI isn’t like other fighting games which makes it stand out.

I would agree.

You’re not exactly giving any proper explination as to why you think KI needs to be more footsie based.

Heck no body said the game is flawless all games have flaws. Even the almighty SF5 is flawed.

Certainly seems that way, doesn’t it?

See I think that sounds nice and tolerant and respectful in theory, especially in regard to things like finding common ground within an opposing view. But as a universal truism? Sometimes truth buried under lies, misinformation, misdirection, filtered through echo chambers and picked apart by stakeholders, or destructive conclusions can be so distorted to the point where finding it can be anathrma to larger truths and flat out facts.

Truth isn’t inherently good, and finding it can, at times, be exceedingly misleading when opinions are drawn from it, especially if those opinions are depicted as truth. Not going to give examples though, as I don’t want to veer any further off topic :slight_smile:

Opinions can be drawn from facts used in a particular perspective, but is it THE truth? LCD’s comments can be sound from a logical perspective and they can be true for him, but I don’t know that many or even any of them are universally true, especially when we’re talking about the opinions he’s drawing and presenting from his perspective truths.

For example, he’s so frustrated by bugs and yes, from a factual standpoint, the game has bugs. From his perspective on this fact, a truth is derived. But from my perspective, the truth derived from the same facts is that games have bugs, this particular game has always had bugs and many of the bug issues were worse in season one, where he seems to have liked the game the most.

So when he’s coming to conclusions about the game and where it’s at now andpart of what he’s basing that on is his truth regarding bugs, is that THE truth? Is that truth inherently good? Am I lying to myself if I write off this aspect of his argument when I see flaws in the opinions he derives from the facts he’s used to form his truth? I’d personally say no, but that’s just me.

LOL my panties are just fine man. I don’t believe I was attacking him for having an opinion or wanting things improved. How could I, when I want things improved too? I’d be a hypocrite.

But I can certainly take his arguments and his opinions and I can deconstruct them and analyze them and agree and disagree with them and tell him why and I can do that without twisting my panties. I’m not sure why you think I’m incapable of that based on what I wrote, but while I was frustrated at his repetition of old opinions, I don’t think that I took any of that frustration out on him. If I did, or that’s how he took it, then I apologized.

Really man, we’re just talking about a game here. A hobby for some, an enjoyable distraction for others, and even if it’s a passion, it’s still something that’s meant to make us happy and I do try to keep things compartmentalized in that fashion. Otherwise, things like this become way bigger than they should.

2 Likes