Killer Instinct Going Down Hill

I’m new here. Have only been playing since January because i couldn’t resist a free game. Great marketing is great marketing. I immediately picked up the combo breaker pack for s2.

I had all but given up on FGs and I’ve played dozens over the years and owned the two previous renditions of KI. This game has me hooked. Killer rank came easily and I’ve played almost dailey so i don’t feel newbish weighing in here. The s3 changes( balance) are fantastic and the characters are awesome! I’m so pumped to be playing KI again! I was immediately competitive as the move list was intuitive and exactly as it was in previous titles. Great friggin game! GGs.

i personally think season 3 is so far the weakest of all, i was never a fan of guest characters in the first place (i hate hate Rash) and yeah season 1 felt a more honest game.

So far the only character im liking from S3 is Tusk for being a footsie and poke heavy character that doesnt relate that much on shenanigans (and i still hate his overall design specially his face).

Oh and lets not forget that the music this season is not even close to S1 and S2 music, 4 tracks 4 guitar riffs and if the song we got from the trailer is Gargos theme that will make it 5.

2 Likes

If you mean uphill when you say downhill, then I agree.

I will say a lot of the juggles are hard to deal with mostly because they happen so fast and because the animations aren’t different at all. Shago does these fireball juggles his DP’s are also hard to notice the difference. Overall it’s giving a lot of characters free combos and the flip out in the corner can be pretty brutal. HK’s TJ makes me think of MKX where everything is 50/50’s.

I’m pretty sure the party has only begun. The fact that KI even continues to evolve and be successful is awesome to me. Not everyone is going to like KI as it changes (for better or worse). It’s easy to look back at Season 1 and enjoy everything it was for such a tiny game. The KI team is always listening and observing all levels if play.

1 Like

Man, 45 comments in and OP still can’t actually explain what he dislikes about season 3. He doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like relearning characters, and he doesn’t like it.

What parts bother you about season 3? What aspects of the new characters? What parts are you disliking about the old characters? I don’t care that you arrived at that opinion, you’re absolutely entitled to it. But what is qualifying your opinion? What is leaving the bad taste in your mouth?

I mean, if you’ve been around since season one, then the character rebalance shouldn’t be new to you, as it happened prior to season 2. Also, we’re only four characters in. No new modes fully revealed, we’ve only seen two of the last four characters… So what gives?

For my part, I’m loving it so far, and I say that as someone that thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons. Love the new UI, love the new characters, even the guests, which honestly surprised me, but I already have Rash up to lvl 50 and Arbiter’s on his way.

The new mechanics are taking a bit to get used to, but I’m just messing around with them when I feel like it and ignore them when I don’t. I’m sure I’ll absorb them eventually. I’d rather have a lot to do and not know everything than the opposite.

That’s just me though. I like the level 4 ender animation and I appear to be in the minority on that. I enjoyed the old shadow graphics more, but given the relighting, which looks amazing, they might not have worked as well in some stages.

I’m not a fan of Mira and Gargos getting shafted on stages. I get we have a ton of stages, but recolorings of existing stages for them would’ve been a decent compromise at least. But that’s my only main gripe. I hope they’ll use the community fund to help make this right.

Everything else though has been great. Psyched for four more characters, the story, really intrigued by Shadowlords and definitely interested in learning what else they have in store.

I get that not everyone shares my opinion, but in my eyes, this game keeps getting better and better. Hope you enjoy the rest of the season more than you’ve apparently enjoyed it so far.

1 Like

LOVE S3 over S1 and S2

what ki s 3 best seson even doe i never played the game tell right now :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll never understand this.

S1 had some seriously cheap stuff in it. There was very little honest about it.

It felt more… grounded, maybe? As in, fewer characters had reason to go into the air? Probably true, except Sadira was in discussion for best character in the game in an 8-character fighting game, so you saw a ton of air play even in S1.

It felt… slower, maybe? Arguably true, especially with how much slower paced S1’s combo breakers were. But slow and honest are not synonyms.

It was harder to combo break, so your attacks “meant” something? Harder to combo break is true, but again, has nothing to do with honesty. Damage is higher in S2 (and S3), so when you make a mistake I can actually really hurt you in those seasons. You could say that’s a more “honest” style of play.

4 Likes

i can never understand why people need to feel to post feed back type threads in general discussion, im tired of the doom and gloom scenarios people keep bringing to s3, OP have fun in Street fighter, (btw Killer instinct going downhill is very exaggerating… we don’t even know the sales and how many people are online)

Misery loves company. :wink:

The main reason why I never give my details of why I don’t like season 3 is because it’s just a video game. If I don’t like it, I’ll just move on sample as that.
But because nerds really wanna know details, here goes :joy:

1. New combo breaker system - it feels very casual to show the icons of which auto the opponent use - Both players get push back after a combo breaker.
  2. Killer Rank ability - Killer Rank players now have the ability to demote themselves. ( that’s a noob move) :unamused:
  3. New characters are always broke - Yes I understand after a release of a new character, a month later they get fix or nerf.
  4. Manu Colors - Just my opinion, but I hate the purple & green :tired_face:
  5. Character rebalance - It seem like advance characters are to weak & don’t hit hard at all (Kan Ra, TJ, etc) But sample characters are to good and hit hard(Jago, Orchid, etc)
  6. I’ll stop here :sleeping:

Bottom Line is its the new changes I hate. I use more than half the cast in this game & I plan on mastering Kim Wu, Tusk and Mira. :slight_smile:

I suspect people get used to the dirty stuff in an 8 man roster and start to just accept it. Now the new characters are surprising everyone and new dirt is way less fair than old dirt.

Of course it’s just a video game, we all know that. Asking for specifics doesn’t mean I’m taking the game, or people’s opinions about it, to an extreme level of seriousness. Just having a conversation is all.

When you start a topic and say that KI is going down hill, you might want to go the extra mile and say why. We’re here to talk about the game, after all. :slight_smile:

As for what you said:

1. Why is giving the player information casual? I disagree, but if that’s what you think, then… Arlight. Also don’t see what’s wrong with the push back, but your taste, your call, no problem.

2. So killer ranked players can demote themselves… So? Get back to killer rank. I’ve heard the climb back up is punitive, which they should hopefully fix, but what’s the point of having a ranking system if you can get to a certain rank and never lose it?

3. I haven’t seen much about how the four new characters are broken, but then again, I haven’t really been looking for it so, I guess, if you say so.

4. I tend to agree with this one. It’s not bad, but I feel like black and one color, like green or purple, might’ve been a bit more sleek or stylish.

5. Well, they made most characters weaker across the board. With all the mechanics the game has now, it kinda seemed like a necessity. I think the balance comes from the fact that characters like Kan Ra and Cinder can get a ridiculous amount of hits in a combo a lot more easily than the season one characters, so they don’t really hit as much, so they have to hit harder. That balance has been in place for a while.

6. Okay.

No problem man, I don’t agree with everything you say here, but then again, I don’t have to. Your opinion and you’re entitled to it. I just wanted to hear what your deal was about season 3 rather than see someone say “it’s going down hill” and follow that up with “I don’t like it” as the reason why. Not saying we’re owed a reason or anything, but it makes for a better conversation if people can speak in specifics, otherwise, there’s really not much to talk about and that’s kinda why most people are here. :slight_smile:

Season 1 was the worst imo. Not the fault of DH or anything but there was just too much to exploit in the gameplay at that point.

Season 3 is my favorite so far simply because its so much faster now thanks to combo breakers not causing a hard knockdown. I dig the updated UI as well as a majority of the character updates. The only thing I can really complain about is I still don’t care for the new Level 4 enders but that’s a fairly minor complaint.

I dig Season 3.

1 Like

You right :sweat_smile:
Well I guess I’m just one of those unlucky ones that hate the update. Damn lol

Killer Instinct been my favorite fighting game since the 90’s. So if any changes in the future don’t come to my flavor. Than I’ll just switch to Street Fighter 5. I like that game alot :slight_smile:

It’s perfectly OK to disagree about anything, as long as the conversation is respectful and clearly understood from both directions. @BloodyNinja505 I was watching this thread pretty closely because until your response to @Iago407 it was really difficult to determine whether you had legitimate frustrations or dislikes that you just weren’t sharing, or if you were creating a troll thread to instigate argument with people; your early responses sort of followed a troll-like trend since you didn’t seem to want to elaborate on your specific dislikes!

Thanks very much for making your intentions clear now, because it’s blatant that there’s actual discussion to be had here.

you mean down hill in the form of a lit powder keg into the SF5 caravan that is haplessly passing by down below? yup sure is. Season 3 launch has handed that game its own as$ lol

I understand what you mean :smiling_imp:
& if season 3 had a bikini bundle, I’ll spend $20 on that!
I’m not joking.