Killer Instinct Going Down Hill

Cinder in a bikini!! :heart_eyes: If that isnt hot, I dont know what is :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tbf i hate the match making and character changes in season 3 i think the way it was done in season 2 was fine.

2 Likes

I can kinda understand where the OP is coming from.

With the intro of S3, there seems to be a lot more emphasis on juggles, and flip out shenanigans, turning an already complex mind game of combo breaking into an even more complex, sometimes even frustrating one.

So not only do I have to know what my opponents doubles, linkers, and manuals look like, I now have to know what their normals look like too!? And all this complexity is somehow justified by the fact that I have a one chance to break the combo?

Because of these personal issues, I too can admit I’m not enjoying S3 as much as I wanted to. Not to say that I’m not! Just not as much.

Sometimes, less is more.

4 Likes

No Humiliations, lack of stage ultimates, no finishers like no mercy in KI originals.

1 Like

I do think that IG have gone too far with all the changes they’ve made. S1 certainly wasn’t perfect, but the core gameplay was something which was pretty much unanimaously praised. There was some complaints about certain character aspects that were “broken”, but the gameplay itself, was never moaned about from what I saw. The core gameplay was something that DH got absolutely spot on. And I think in that respect, the game was more honest back then. There has been several new gameplay mechanics added since then, which have only served to make the game feel more gimmicky, and overcomplicated.

Another bugbear, is the constant changes to characters in the name of so-called “balance”, which is always a futile excercise, as even now, there are people complaining about some characters being too weak, and other characters being too strong. Some characters have had to be relearned about 4 or 5 times in total by now, and that really is total overkill. And it’s worse for someone like me, if you enjoy using several characters on the roster, as opposed to just using the same character all the time.

And that’s not even taking into consideration, the glaring inconsistencies between seasons as regards to things like story mode, stage ultras. and now the fact that 5 characters will now not have their own stage, including at least 2 canon KI characters, including the big boss, Gargos. I’d also agree that the Season 3 music is a noticeable step down in quality from the amazing compositions which Mick Gordon came up with for the first two seasons. Which is another thing adding to the disjointed, and incomplete feel of the game. Hopefully by the end of S3, I’ll feel warmer towards it, but certainly at the moment, I do feel the game has gone backwards, rather than forwards.

1 Like

My only real gripe with the game at this moment is that these dang on Shadow Counters are SO FREE NOW. Like back in the previous seasons at least you had to time your trigger and expect another meaty attack so it could activate. However in season 3, you can use it on most to any string in the game and you can bypass anything now. It’s so easy compared to before where you had to analyze your opponents habits and punish them.

1 Like

If you ask me I think maybe season 4 should address a lot of inconsistencies and add more extra content, maybe downsize to 4 new characters and stages (granted Eyedol makes it this season) and focus on the smaller details now that we have almost the whole original cast, a nice handful of new characters and even guests and from the sounds of a story that may wrap up this season.

Individual dojo modes, stages for the characters that didn’t get one, separate story and arcade modes making the former more complete, consistent and following the season 2 format, more accessories and colors for all the characters, selectable classic themes maybe refined for the dynamic music system, Ultimates, Stage Ultras for SOME (please not all, quality over quantity!) Season 1 stages especially obvious ones like Sadira, Thunder, Spinal and Orchid etc.

I could go on for days why a season 4 still needs to be a thing.

1 Like

I think Season 4 needs to exist, but mainly as a “clean up” operation. That the game feels like a consistent and cohesive whole by the end of development should be the devs’ priority, once Season 3 is finished. We really have enough characters and modes now, or will do by Season 3’s end, so new characters can take a back seat to everything else that’s essential to the game feeling finished and complete and not like a thrown together patchwork, by the time development on the game has ended.

1 Like

I still think people are confused about the difference between changes that reflect IG’s vision for the game and things that simply had to happen as the number of characters tripled. No game goes from 6 to 22 characters without making balance adjustments. It’s not possible.

1 Like

Except that the balance adjustments started when there was far fewer characters, and there are just as many people now complaining about certain characters being too weak/too strong as there were before any balance changes were made. That there’s going to be some disparity within the cast is just the nature of the beast, if you want variety and depth in the character pool. The balance has been adjusted several times now, and it hasn’t stopped the cries for nerfs and buffs. All that’s happened, is that players have had adjust too many times to accomodate for all the character changes. Which like I said, isn’t so bad if you only ever play as one character. But when you enjoy using a variety of characters, it is irritating and offputting.

But I think you are wrong about the reason for the balance changes. It isn’t to silence people’s demands for nerfs an buffs it’s to actually balance the game. Some characters need new tools to keep up with new characters who introduce new things.

For every person who sits in here complaining about the changes there would be a dozen complaining about how stale the old characters are. Remember when S2 started everyone complained that all the S2 characters were getting better tools than S1. This kind of fussing is unavoidable. But it misses the central truth: if the game is going to grow in size, new things need to be added to it. If new things are added, old characters will need to be adjusted to compensate. You don’t have to like those changes. Make a case that they should have done it differently, that’s fine. But complaining that the game has changed is just silly.

2 Likes

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

2 Likes

The point is that when a character releases there are unknown bugs, and the character is also not intended to be final at that point in time. They released characters on a monthly cycle all through S2 (and some upcoming in S3), and a month enough time to get the characters completely finalized, particularly because balance needs to adjust a little as each subsequent character is released, too.

I do QA work for a living, and believe me, we are changing and correcting things over and over again in the software, I think it’s the nature of digital development.

Besides, I’ll take small monthly changes and adjustments over waiting a year or so to buy the “fixed” version of the game, or having to live with the bugs and imbalance like most fighting games’ history has been.

4 Likes

Ohhh I see where y’all coming from. Well IMA check this game out after season 3 is done. It’s still my favorite fighting of all time, but IMA go play something else while I wait. :wink:

This contention that game balance is subjective and therefore shouldn’t be adjusted is one that I don’t buy into at all.

Season 1 was busted and degenerate in many ways. Most people would’ve moved on by now if the game hadn’t corrected course.

3 Likes

This is also true because there’s only so much you can do playing 6-8 characters against each other if there are never any changes at all. I think people should also be required to specify which S1 it is they want to return to. That season had lots of patches, fixes and balance adjustments too.

1 Like

I mean, even if they kept adding characters, but did so with some obsessive goal of preserving what season 1 was, people would get sick of dashthrough shadow eclipse and spin2win, they’d get bored of the totally ambiguous manual system and one-chance into lvl5 shadow ender combo game that ignored 95% of the systems and never lead to any meaningful interaction, and an emphasis on what some are calling “honest” play here (lol, as if the aforementioned things were honest) would mean that the core mechanics wouldn’t broaden and characters would likely get pretty samey or even clone-ish.

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to enjoy S1 from any standpoint other than spectating, as I started playing this game early in S2 (shortly after Kan-Ra’s release, as I recall)… but I will say that the game I’ve been playing in the past few weeks feels better and is more fun to me than the game I was playing in S2. From my perspective - they’ve managed to simultaneously tone-down some of the insanity, while increasing the pace of a match - and that doesn’t sound too easy whatsoever, so hats off to the dev team.

1 Like

[quote=“JABANT, post:63, topic:8273”]
Because of these personal issues, I too can admit I’m not enjoying S3 as much as I wanted to. Not to say that I’m not! Just not as much.

Sometimes, less is more.
[/quote been saying this since season two sometimes less is more let’s not forget that the only reason any of us like this game is because of s1 they should keep that in mind and stop trying to take all the aspects of double helix version of this game out I understand they’re trying to make it their own version but I feel they’re messing it up in ways

3 Likes

I have to always remind myself, the makers of DiveKick is making season 3 :cry:

KI is dead (my opinion)

Imagine if IG worked on Street Fighter SMH or Mortal Kombat :tired_face: