Kilgore Community Fund

I’m sitting at 104% as well. All I have left are a bunch of Eagle’s dossiers and for the life of me, I can’t get them to drop. I think I have two of them so far. I don’t get what the deal is but man, it’s frustrating. So close, yet so far lol.

You know… you are right. Id rather it be spent on the game instead of a big prize pool.
Well said.
Or funding of the new game!

3 Likes

Didn’t they collect the extra $5 for Kilgore to specifically put toward the tourney scene? Don’t get me wrong, as a non-tourney player, I’d prefer the money went to something that everyone could enjoy, not just a small group of players within a small group of players, but if they tell us at KIWC 2018 that the money went to this tournament and that tournament and what not, I won’t be disappointed.

Of course… If they said that the money was put toward a new stage, a new character, a new season or a new game, I wouldn’t be disappointed with that either! :slight_smile: I just think that the people working toward KIWC likely would be, and I can certainly see it from their point of view as well.

Sorry, I think I waffled on that a lot. Much words. Many things spoken with few things said. Need sleep. Bottom line: I see both sides. I’d prefer new content, but the money was marked for tourney scene, I think, so it’s all good.

Yes, they said that 5 of the 10 was to support the tournament scene. I remember that quite a few people making posts stating that they did not like that.

I take it you missed the small but vocal group of people ■■■■■■■■ about the Steam release then? Never underestimate the capacity for angry people to be angry, and to broadcast their inchoate rage to the internet heavens.

Re: the Kilgore tournament money, the money needs to go to the tournament scene, full stop. That was what they promised the money would be for, and a company’s stated promises for earmarked money is not only a matter of good corporate ethics, but potentially a litigable matter as well. Even if they just turn it into prize pots for KI tournaments at local MS stores, the money should be used for Killer Instinct tournaments.

Re: this year’s KIWC, I believe the format is going to be an open bracket.

2 Likes

This is, of course true. And my first assumption is that the development team will come through because this is something they want as much as any of us. But the message they have been sending with the game and communications around it (whether that message is accurate or not) is that no one is driving this bus any longer. And that concerns me because it seems increasingly possible that the Kilgore community fund launched without any kind of finalized internal understanding that it was a fund and how that money would be spent.

In my professional life I have only been burned a few times. But I can tell you that the worst of those instances come from doing or planning work without an ironclad agreement in place. This includes situations where things were well understood by all involved (and everyone was super enthusiastic to go go go as soon as possible and let’s not miss this opportunity) but then, when it came time to spend the money the accountants realized that they had the option to just keep it instead. And they did. And unfortunately in the real world you can’t pry it out of them just because you are right and they are greedy ■■■■■. Suddenly all those super enthusiastic people that should be your allies l, instead of backing you and forcing the accountants to turn over the money are all “I’m sorry you had the wrong impression. You really shouldn’t have incurred costs without a finalized agreement.” So I can easily imagine a scenario where all the busy staff on the KI team (who are clearly focusing their energy on other projects now - and that’s not a criticism) more or less assume someone else is taking care of the fine print on that whole community fund thing (“didn’t we have a meeting about that in March?”). And then the money rolls into the “Microsoft Studios DLC Revenue” pot and gets allocated to pay the bills. So now when approached about the $50k for the KI tournament fund the “Microsoft Studios DLC Revenue Manager” says “what tournament fund?” You would be amazed how easily something that looks to us like “hey that money belongs to the KI community” can be seen within a bureaucracy as “all of the sudden the KI team is asking for additional money.”

Of course this is complete speculation on my part. Utter fiction. I’m sure there’s no truth in here whatsoever. But in the absence of anything even remotely resembling a reassurance from @rukizzel, @TempusChaoti, @developers as to the status of the Kilgore fund we are just left to our own imaginations.

This is why I’m wracking my brain. I specifically recall that the purchase page for Kilgore said absolutely nothing about a community or tournament fund. And honestly I only remember hearing about it from from non MS sources (@TheKeits, Brandon Alexander, other prominent folks in the FGC).

So - because there are no communications we are all sitting here imagining what’s wrong when there’s a very good chance everything is great and they just haven’t bothered to tell us.

The tournament fund is still there, still for tournaments. @TotalJimkata @rukizzel and others are figuring out the best way to use it. There’s been several tweets about this (several weeks old now at least) from James.

Nothing to announce yet, we’ve not forgotten about it!

9 Likes

Yeah I think that I somehow missed most of that. Since I don’t have Steam, I’ve mostly disregarded the conversation about this version. So, were people upset that it was coming to steam? Is that it? Man… What a strange thing to be salty about. I don’t want to drudge up any old arguments from anyone, but still. Seems kind of odd to me, but whatever. We all have our opinions, I guess. :slight_smile:

I’m going to sound bitter and old when I write this, but I’m just going to embrace it. It’s astonishing how many people are motivated primarily by avarice and spite. Nearly every single complaint about video games these days (and KI in particular) can be easily summed up by two statements.

Either:
“I really want that but I don’t want to pay, therefore you are outrageous for asking me to pay for it.”

Or:
“I already bought that and now I want to make sure that no one else can get it without paying what I did.”

It’s beyond sad.

5 Likes

I don’t think you sound bitter. Maybe just a little tired of putting up with this kind of stuff? It’s not hard to see why, if that’s the case.

Sorry to expand off topic here, but I honestly don’t understand the rage that comes with this hobby. It’s something we all share in common and it’s something that’s meant to be enjoyed. That alone should unite us. Yet some gamers are just hell bent on forming little sub-cultures, hierarchies and even fiefdoms where there’s an “us” and a “them” so they have someone or something to lash out against.

All the garbage like hardcore vs casual, men vs women, true fans vs fake fans, console vs console, game vs game, fans vs developers, early adopter vs late adopter… It’s such a pointless, childish, tree house mentality where some people feel the need to belong to a crowd or really “own” something they think they love, so much that they lash out at others.

It becomes that sort of adage of “I like this game, I love this game, I own this game, I hate this game, I want to destroy this game” or whatever it is. It’s kinda sad that people get themselves so wrapped up in something like that to the point where they have to react so strongly to something that’s almost assuredly not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but oh well. I guess when we all have a megaphone in to the void, some shouting’s inevitable. Still sucks though, sometimes.

3 Likes

I would like to “like” this post multiple times. This kind of weird in and out group identification takes place everywhere of course but something about the Internet and gamers seems to amplify it. When I fish, even though there are fly fishing purists and trout snobs and lots of different potential subcultures you can belong too - nobody is ANGRY about it. They are engaged in a hobby that they enjoy for relaxation and fun and it makes them happy. If you are fishing and you have disdain for people using live bait you just… don’t use live bait and move along.

1 Like

Yes, THIS, exactly! That’s what I don’t understand. This is supposed to be a fun activity. Why can’t we just enjoy it without being toxic in our enjoyment the way we can enjoy something like fishing (which is awesome, btw)? Why does anyone have to prove that they love something more or that there’s a right way to enjoy something or any of the other stupid crap that people feel strangely compelled to take pride in?

Sorry, again, I didn’t mean to derail anything here. I guess I’m just still amazed that “hey, we’re putting this game out in a place where more people can find it and play it!” wasn’t met with near universal “cool! More opponents to fight!” It’s still kinda baffling to me, I guess.

1 Like

I know this will do nothing to calm the storm, but this is being worked on. Really it is coming down to how we are using it. About I can tell you for now. Will continue to read your rightfully strong posts until we have enough to give you a solid, concrete plan.

11 Likes

Money, Esports, the fact that Parents let their kids act like total jerks, because “it is just a video game”. Competitive things can bring out the worst in people. Have you ever been to a fishing tournament? They get nasty there too.

There is a reason that they don’t keep score at little kid games.

1 Like

I can’t speak for others, but for me this does a lot.

Thanks to both you and @TempusChaoti for saying something.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s all I need. Also good that Adam confirmed that it’s still going to the tourney scene. Good stuff all around. :slight_smile:

Hopefully we made enough for everyone else to get ultimates.

2 Likes

i’m here still hoping for a season 4 :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m going to bump this. Unless I missed something, which tournaments did the Kilgore fund go to?

They haven’t responded yet. Last we heard is "good question, and their will be more on that soon, stay tuned!"
That’s the last I recall form James Goddard.

If I had to guess its going to KIWC along with some big announcement of the next game! lol

2 Likes