Kilgore Community Fund

Yeah, it’s strange because there has also been no word or even a tease about who the next character will be and when they will be released. It’s almost as if they were testing the waters to see how the reaction towards Kilgore would be so they would have a clear direction on what their next move will be in regards to whether this next character will be $10 or not.

This game is a laughing stock.

To get anything you need to pay pay pay.

I personally want to see this company go under.

Release a full game and charge 60 bucks and thats it, and if they want to get greed make the hell out of skins, customes DLC and whatever carp people care and burn their money.

You do realize people asked them to make extra stuff to buy, right?

2 Likes

[quote=“RickMalmsteenBR, post:242, topic:17468, full:true”]
This game is a laughing stock.[/quote]
Really, this post is whats laughable.

Yeah, that’s how business works. Companies need to pay their employees since they don’t work for free, therefor content costs money. Did you expect all future characters to be free?

[quote=“RickMalmsteenBR, post:242, topic:17468, full:true”]I personally want to see this company go under.[/quote]Well if that isn’t the most petty, bitter sentiment I have ever seen on these forums I don’t know what is.

[quote=“RickMalmsteenBR, post:242, topic:17468, full:true”]Release a full game and charge 60 bucks and thats it, and if they want to get greed make the hell out of skins, customes DLC and whatever carp people care and burn their money.[/quote]I’m really not sure what to make of this part, I mean preeeeeety much every modern fighting game releases paid character DLC after the $60 entry fee. How are IG and MS villains for giving us what the industry standard is? Hell, we begged them for more paid post-season content and they’re just now starting to deliver.

The way I feel about the new “Every Tuesday, something will happen in Killer Instinct!” venture is like this:

The KI Crew will release a range of content each month, be it Guardians, skin packs, a character, etc., and I’ll throw my support by buying what I consider to be the coolest thing of the bunch each month. I’ve been a fan since Day One, November 2013, and I’ll continue to support my favorite modern game for as long as they keep adding new stuff.

That said, I’ve already bought Kilgore for January, but the Riptor/Mira/Fulgore Terror Pack is very tempting… Let’s see what they roll out with on the 24th & 31st before I splurge! :gem:

-Zenek

I’m necro’ing this thread because I don’t want to create a new one. But it’s becoming somewhat concerning to me that it is October and we still have no idea what the funds from the Kilgore community fund are being applied to. Maybe I’ve just missed it, but can anyone provide an update on this? @rukizzel, @TempusChaoti @developers

6 Likes

Maybe they just decided to use it to make the other 2 characters. I am fine with that.

The other 2 characters were already mentioned before he came out. I’m sure it’ll be saved for the last ki world cup next year to send the game out on a high win

I would be fine with that too - if that was the plan up front. Actually, I seem to recall there was literally no fine print or claims of any kind in the Xbox store associated with $10 Kilgore. It was only through tweets from IG and subsequent communication here on the forums that it was indicated it was a community support effort. In any case there was a significant Twitter campaign by bright lights in the FGC to encourage the purchase and it seems like zero followuo is not a great idea.

@GazRJ that would be great too. But last year there were a lot of tournaments for people to earn cup points and a lot of premarketing for the KI World Cup. Maybe I’m just out of it but this year I see nothing.

Yeah I’ve seen nothing tournament wise either. Tho I know the cup is still on. Maybe they’ll invite a top 32 to compete for the big prize.
Tbh I think all major communication about KI is done now tho I’d like to think where community funds are going would be publicly knowledge bynow

I think this is the only logical option right now. Biggest prize pot for KI ever… brings all the players out for 1 last go at KIWC!

This is certainly possible, and if that’s the case, then so be it. However, and I don’t mean to sound too entitled here (too late), but given how well they communicated with us in the past, it’d be awesome if they’d communicate that to us as well. Maybe take the time during the KIWC to say that the game is officially done and that the tournament marks the end of the game’s active production (maybe with a small bug fix type update).

Now obviously, that doesn’t mean the game is “dead” in the sense that this should be everyone’s indication that they should abandon the game and move on. People play what they like regardless.

But I do think that there are enough fans, both vocal and non-vocal that are still hoping for more content, that it’d be nice if they could be straight with us and tell us if nothing else is on the horizon instead of giving us the line of “if you buy it, we’ll keep making it.”

I mean… Not to sound trite or whatever, but I WANT to buy stuff lol. I want to buy more characters, more stages, more character outfits, more seasons, etc and I know I’m not alone, but the radio silence from the developer end makes me wonder if the game is done, as some certainly seem to think.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not angry or anything close to it, and MS/IG are well within their rights to say nothing. I just wish they’d let us know one way or the other. I think it’d be a nice thing to do for the people that stuck with the game for years. Not because we’re entitled to know or deserve to know, not because we’re monetary investors or any of that garbage, but because it’d be a cool thing to do for the fans if they wouldn’t mind. That’s all.

As for the Kilgore fund, my guess is that we’ll hear more about it at KIWC. I’d be really surprised if we didn’t, just as I’d be really surprised if we heard anything from the developers about this game before then.

3 Likes

The problem with this is that enough people (including marketing and PR people within the company) will interpret this as a “game over” declaration that will hurt potential future sales. Plus, if they decide to put out a patch or new character or whatever, further down the line, then people will say “but I thought this game was done.”

And the only thing they could potentially gain by making such a statement would be to clarify for the small but dedicated bunch hanging out on the forums. It’s a pretty easy decision, from the point of view of the company. As an aside, I would like someone to produce for me a statement like this from any company regarding any game. The best you’re going to get is “we currently have no plans to release any additional content for this game.” Which as far as I can tell we have already seen for KI.

My operating assumption is that we will not get any more substantial content for this game. As far as whether that’s good or bad… I honestly couldn’t say.

3 Likes

Wait a sec… So money from Kilgore’s fund is not spent yet?

While I certainly agree with this, especially after something like the Steam release, the further we get away from that, the more I wonder how much it would actually hurt sales if they came out and said that the game was complete. Obviously though, as you said, there’s really no logical reason for them do to this from a financial perspective, as even one lost purchase is one too many if announcing the end is not something they necessarily have to do.

I don’t know if that would be such a concern, but maybe I’m wrong. If a year from now, they decided to release a new character, I’d be more pleasantly surprised than “but I thought this game was done.” That could just be me though.

That’s certainly true. While I’m not totally sure that the number of at least mildly curious people is restricted to forum goers, I’ll definitely concede that this clarity is the only real upside and it’s one that we’d benefit from. Not them. To your point…

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game-as-service model type of game come out and say that the game is complete and over and done, etc. I’ve seen games shut down their servers or whatever, but if I’ve ever seen a company come out and say “thank you for playing, but this game, content-wise, is complete,” I certainly don’t recall.

My one small issue though, and it’s a small one, I swear is that while they did come out at the end of last patch and say that the game was in a good place and they don’t plan on updating in the near future, Rukari was also quick to diffuse the idea that the game is done.

Now, that easily could’ve been due to the fact that the Steam version was still coming out and they didn’t want to hurt the sales of this final revenue push, but to say that and to have people also continuously say “we’ll keep making content if you keep buying it” (or vice versa, can’t recall for sure which way they put it). I dunno, to me it kinda muddies the waters in a way that might give some (okay, me) a bit of false hope due to a relatively inconsistent message.

I mean, if the game’s in a good place and they’re not doing anything with it for the time being, then just say that and be done with it. You don’t have to say “this is the end.” But if the old adage about new content is no longer true, then maybe stop saying it?

Eh, I know, I’m parsing too much here and they shouldn’t have to watch ever word they so to such an extent. I’d just really like more content for this game, so I tend to grasp any straw they give me and that’s probably more on me than it is on them.

If I am being honest, I would rather see a piece of new content over using it as tournament prize money. Let it be for the people who still play and enjoy KI. Not for a group of people to come out of the woodwork just because there is a new prize pot to win.

It might just be me, but I find it hard to get excited about tournaments when 90% of them are so far away that it would cost just under $1000 to attend one.

I just would like to see it go for content that everyone could enjoy over giving it to a small group of people who are either lucky enough to live close to the tournament, have little/no responsibility, or can afford to go.

I mean, tournament players are people who still play and enjoy ki. Just because a few people are only in it for money doesn’t mean the entire competetive community is just money hungry mongers. Heck, I’d say about 90% of people that enter tournaments have no intention of actually winning.

I think you’re right as long as the content is free. If they release new paid content as we have already observed there will be howls of people demanding that THEY should get the content for free.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure there’d be some people wondering why they’d have to pay given that they already paid for season three. There’s a rant that never gets old lol. Guess it depends on when the content is released, but maybe that’s just me being excessively optimistic.

Maybe the money was spent on fixing the Hatchery III dossier problem that I WAS Having :smile:

Yes, they fixed it and I have it now. Sitting at 104%

1 Like