Guest Characters Discussion *ULTRA THREAD*

I too am not a fan of RASH or any guest characters that are Battle Toads or anything silly. As long as we get the remaining 4 characters…EYEDOL, GARGOS, TUSK, and KIM WU…I will be satisfied.
But if we don’t get ALL FOUR but we get a Battle toad or another guest character…that’s just not cool!
People hate on EYEDOL and say …oh he cant be re-imagined to work in the new KI universe…but RASH can??/ I don’t understand that logic!

No more guests until the remaining 4 are confirmed!

My kids did love Rash though… for about 5 mins

I believe that they know that Banjo/Kazooie and Conker would be way off. At least a Battletoad is known for combat.

1 Like

Guest Characters is and always have been a lure for new players. Most fighters are following in the footsteps of Soul Calibur, even Nintendo is getting in on the action with guest characters. People that would never have even considered KI will want to try it to play as one of their all time favorite characters of lore. I for one am very excited about the next season of KI. I know that some of you may not appreciate Rash, but what makes him any different than Sabrewulf or Glacius design wise. Both of these characters push the limits of creativity and they translate beautifully onto the screen. Rash really doesn’t stick out because if you think about it, they could have easily given his move-set to an original creation.The KI Universe isn’t stuck in a vacuum, it is going to continue to grow and become more refined as time passes.

I totally agree. I hope my previous comment didn’t sound like I was opposed to guest characters. I like the idea of them. Like you mentioned, at the very least, it will help KI get noticed and get some news headlines that will potentially draw in new players and expand the reach of the game.

I was just trying to say that I don’t think they’ll go too far with it. IG and MS have been respectful of the KI brand so far, I don’t think they’ll do anything to tarnish it.

I agree with @fenderflix, while the worst case scenario is always theoretically possible, I sincerely doubt MS & IG go in that direction.

Also agree with N0WAND4EVER. Guest characters are a good lure for more players and it’s not like this is a new and completely unexpected phenomenon. MK has had Kratos, Freddy, Jason and The Predator. Injustice had Scorpion. DoA had a character from Halo, Street Fighter had characters like Hagger and Guy. If you do it right, it can work well and a frog warrior doesn’t seem crazy to me compared to a fighting dinosaur, a wolf man, etc.

My hope is that we still get enough KI characters for season 3. The rest of the remaining KI characters as well as some cool new ideas from IG. I have no reason to believe, as of yet, that either of those ideas are in any real danger.

2 Likes

Basically, ■■■■ this thread. KI is not a self-serious franchise, even in its Rareware roots there’s never been any apprehension over goofy things like farting dinosaurs and cheesy dudes on fire who claim to be “too hot”. To think otherwise is to seriously misread the tone of the game, and it’d be a shame if IG or Microsoft felt compelled to undo their weeks of hard (and covert!) work getting Rash beta-ready by removing him because some canon fanboys got angsty about it.

Also, if it helps, we currently have what has been labelled Rash’s retro costume, which seems to suggest that he’ll get a different look for his default costume when he actually ships. It was probably just important for the nostalgia-tripping unveil to go all out on his classic look.

3 Likes

Rash is sick don’t hate.

While I agree that KI shouldn’t feature guest characters they are not gonna go away now and I understand it because they are putting a lot of work in a single character and it would be a waste of time to create them for a limited time.

1 Like

It takes them months of hard work to create a character, and you want them to make a character that will be removed from the game after one or two months of existence? That would be a pretty hard sell at the board meeting, I think.

I like the guest character idea and it should be permanent. Some people do enjoy that a lot and who knows, they migh main them. Depriving them of their main based on the fact that they don’t fit according to some is rather cruel. You can just not play them if you don’t like them. I certainly don’t touch some characters I absolutely abore, lol.

With that being said, I do want more original characters being used though. Guests shouldn’t take half the spots available. I hope they haven’t run out of ideas and I’m sure that they did take a looksie at the previous forums wish list of future characters. I definitely want more creatures. That’d be sweet!

1. The guest characters aren’t going anywhere, they’re spending development time to make them so they’re going to stay. Plus we’re paying for them, you can’t take them away if we spend cash to obtain them.

2. IG doesn’t think “comical” characters are a good idea, they think fan-favorite ones are. Despite a few people who don’t like the idea, most people love it. In fact I’ve met several people who are buying KI just because the Battletoads are involved. Guest characters are going to draw in more players and they’ll help KI really grow, especially once the PC versions is out.

3. Killer Instinct has always had a somewhat comical tone, half of the characters are just joke references to other popular characters. For goodness sake we have a native American cyborg with a neon orange ponytail. We have goofy and silly accessories too, Dinosaurs in cheerleader outfits… I mean come on, Rash fits in just fine.

4. Iron Galaxy and Microsoft have plenty of ideas, the fact we’re seeing Rash after literally tons of fans demanded Battletoads in-game shows that they’re intelligent business people and actually listen to what the community wants.

5. Who’s to say Rash won’t fit into the lore, clearly he’s not a “real” physical being given that his instinct covers him in green “VR” grid lines. Just like the old Battletoads story, they probably came from inside a video game. As “goofy” as it sounds they’ll make it work.

6. Also, KI’s lore is a joke honestly. Excluding a fan-favorite character that is universally loved because he doesn’t fit the tone of the game is silly too. KI has always been about flashing female anatomy and dinosaur flatulence jokes. Rash is here to stay, we’re paying for him and he’s going to be part of season 3 forever.

8 Likes

The “rest” of the battletoads could be achieved simply with alternate colors, and accessories. That wouldn’t cause a “battletoads overload”. Neither would them adding the dark queen from battletoads lore, but i do think it would need to stop there.

Was just gonna say this lol

Honestly, F*** Rash, i lost a lot of hope for Season 3 when Rash appeared at Gamescom, especially confirming hes the START of Season 3? honestly tha,t in my opinion, is a weak start.

When it was also apparently confirmed there will be more than one, it gave me less hope, making me wonder if we’ll even get cool new characters this season.

Dont get me wrong, im excited for Kim Wu and Tusk and Gargos, but its a shame to see legit S3 slots taken up by guests, if Rash and whatever other guests are just confirmed as BONUS DLC and not actual S3 characters, it would be fine, but this is ridiculous in my opinion, no one in my friends or family want guests, especially Rash, and i realize im in a minority, but i have a chance to voice my opinion, and my opinion is Battletoads is a mediocre series and isnt even good, and just because Rare made it, DOES NOT make it instantly “fitting for KI”.

There, Rant over.

2 Likes

When did they confirm that he would be the start? Also i’m pretty sure S3 is going to kick off with 3-4 characters seeing as the devs said they wanted more than just two this time around. As far as Rash goes…Meh, I don’t like him or dislike him but I think the general reaction has been pretty positive. I think i’d be ok with one more guest character in S3 but any more than that and it’s gonna look like smash bros. for xbox…

Personally, when it comes to virtually every main-stream fighting game out there, there have been guest characters, so I think it’s kinda, sorta become the norm.

Just think about it - fighting game franchises that have had guest characters include (but aren’t necessarily limited to):
Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Dead or Alive
Virtua Fighter
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Street Fighter
Smash Bros.

While I don’t necessarily agree with it either, I’ve come to accept it. As for the characters themselves, I don’t really mind all that much if it’s done well. As for Rash, we all know he’s not done yet, but from what I’ve seen thus far, he’s done really well, even though he may see a bit cartoonish (I can kind of accept that too though, since he’s from an entirely different dimension).

1 Like

Sullied? is it the 13th century already. KI has always been a hodgepodge of references and themes.

I was also surprised to hear there would be more than 1 guest in Season 3. From what I remember from the last board and general guest character discussion, the vast majority of players did not want guests in KI. I thought it was an overwhelming NO, but my memory is a little foggy. However, I’m sure the devs saw enough demand to warrant their inclusion, so I can’t argue with that because I don’t have the numbers, and I’m sure some business motives have something to do with it as well.

IG did a great job with original S2 characters. I too wish all of the S3 slots were New/Returning KI characters, rather than guests. I’m nervous about the other guest(s), not gonna lie.

Regardless… not having seen Rash’s default costume yet and simply going by his Retro costume, I can’t help but feel he is wayyyy to cartoony for a KI character - specifically in his animations (popping and using instinct).

People keep saying “well in a game with skeletons, robots, and dinosaurs…”, but the issue for me isn’t that he’s a big frog, it’s that his art style is just such a strong contrast to everything KI has established, and it doesn’t mesh well IMO. To be honest, just seeing his face on the selection screen makes the whole game feel goofy to me now. Of course it hasn’t affected how much I play the game or my love for the other characters, but it makes everyone else seem so non-threatening. “We have this wicked awesome mummified sorcerer that spits a bunch of bugs and throws sand in your face… but that frog just beat him, so whatever”.

When Rash does his ram charge, it may be accurate to the original Battletoads, but the horns are way off - too big AND backwards (see below). It aesthetically doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Rash is in the game and he isn’t going anywhere, so I’ll keep the rant to a minimum. I know when the other S3 characters start popping up, I’ll care less about Rash being here, but right now, I’m a little annoyed to be honest. This is the first character in the entire game that I have no interest in using, which kinda sucks.

Man, my older brother walked into the room the day Rash came out and said “THIS is Killer Instinct?..” and shook his head and left the room. I was embarrassed because I was feeling the same thing.

Oh Kim Wu, I can’t wait to see you. Cmon Tusk. Eyedol. Someone take my focus off this ■■■■ frog.

6 Likes

@KrizmKazm

It’s funny that you mention your brother, because my twin brother had almost the exact same reaction. I was excited t the release of a Battletoad and showed it to him. His reaction? “Seriously?” He then walked out of the room.

Great point about the ram horns too. :wink:

1 Like

You were right when you said it was accurate to Battletoads. That’s the important thing anyway.

Anyway, I myself always like seeing guest characters in fighting games. I don’t really see it as such a bad thing myself. However, like it or not, the roster is pretty much decided at this point. If they say they’re putting in more than one guest character, they’re putting in more than one guest character. There’s not much we can do about that.