For Honor

Despite some mixed feelings from the beta, there’s no way I could skip this since my son fell in love with it. I have it preloaded in both of my xboxes in the hope that we can play together. Hopefully some of you guys will be around to group up because I had a lot more fun playing with @xSkeletalx than I did raging on my own.

I still want to give it a shot but I just have too many games on my plate at the moment.

NIOH is king right now and Horizon is coming 2 weeks. plus still int he midst of Resident Evil 7, DS2 and Salt and Sanctuary.

I have no spare time left anymore.

I thought about inviting you to play during the Open Beta but every time I invite you to something you are in the middle of playing something single player and don’t ever want to leave.

I’ve just come to assume you have no interest in playing anything multiplayer ever at this point.

1 Like

My single player life is woth Dishonored 2 at the moment (which, like the idiot I am I am doing a ghost, no kill run through for my first play which makes each level an 8 hour marathon of creep and save) and Final Fantasy XV.

But For Honor occupies the kind of “I only have an hour” jump in and play multiplayer that fills a different need for me. So it will be stealing some of my play time.

1 Like

Yeah man Im just not big on multiplayer. My time frames are so tight that I cant stand to wait on connecting or for instance in a KI lobby where you have to sit out while others play… I have to be playing man, non stop. Otherwise I feel like I wasted my time.

But the main reason why is my family is always right there beside me so its hard to play with a head set and they are saying Daddy im hungry or Krista is sitting there bored to death like Im ignoring her.

Which I understand to some extent, but I’ll be honest that it is frustrating to see you unsure of or disliking this game when you’ve only played a little bit by yourself.

Not that I’m some sort of expert or anything but I’ve played around with it enough that I can likely put uncertain or frustrating things into perspective and help others like the game better.

I was right about pushing you back towards the Souls games, and I think this is the same situation given that For Honor is very much a mix of Dark Souls, Dynasty Warriors, and a fighting game. I was looking forward to playing DS3 with you too, but in that instance you picked it up on your PS.

It’s all your time and money, obviously, and I don’t have kids; but I enjoyed when we used to play KI together and it would have been fun to play this stuff.

In general I’m very confused by the fact that anyone as into fighting games as most of the people on these forums are wouldn’t be sucked into the FG aspects of For Honor immediately.

Maybe if my expectation wasnt that it controls like DS3, that kind of frustrated me as a major let down. And maybe if we didnt have to start off as the Warden would help too. I didnt have the time to grind far enough to pay and unlock the faster characters that everyone was having so much success with.

We can still play KI together…everyday from 5-7pm LOL

You actually could play every class without “recruiting” them; recruiting the class allows you to level them up and customize them.

You also get 2000 Steel (enough to unlock four classes) for completing the original Training, and then another 1500 (I believe) for completing the advanced training, like completing the KI dojo missions.

The original three classes (Warden, Kensei, and Raider) are all really good as well, it isn’t like a starting player is shackled away from playing good characters in any way IMO.

From what little I played, I like the Raider. Grappling and unblockable mega strikes are pretty cool. Plus, in a sucker for big axes.
I’m definitely rolling Vikings if/when I get the game.

I spent all my steel on customizing my character before I realized you could buy other characters :frowning:

I’ll be picking it up. For Honor is basically a 3D fighter that has multiplayer modes.

You have footsies, wiff punishing, negative moves, counters, parrys, unblockables, throws, tech throws, etc. I found initially that learning curve was pretty steep and that even the AI was hard to beat. But once I started getting comfortable and understanding the mechanics better, realizing what my punishes were for certain situations the pieces started to fall into place. I played peace keeper who’s a little tricky since the character loses guard focus so if you guard stance to right for too long you become vulernable in that direction so guarding becomes more reactionary for that class, that said PK seems to be more about dodging and parrying anyways so the blocking weakness isn’t a huge deal.

I also think ubisoft screwed up not throwing the advanced tutorial in with the basic tutorial. There are some key concepts there that I think a lot of new players missed out on a while because it was buried in the menus. I’m also disappointed with the lack of dedicated servers.

I’ve only completed the first Story mission so far, but I have high hopes for it to be an enjoyable campaign. You have three different sections which cover each of the factions, and supposedly you play through the various classes depending on the mission.

The first two missions tell the story of a nameless Warden, and you hear your character’s voice narrating what’s going on. There are multiple “observeables” in each mission which you can interact with to get a lore description from your narrator and learn more about the world, as well as “breakables” which can give you customization items, Steel, and who knows what else.

Even in the first mission there is a good mix of enemies; Soldiers (the one-hit-to-kill guys), Captains (who have a smaller lifebar than heroes but use the arc-based battle system) and then Heroes which are the same as fighting the AI in Multiplayer. There are other pickup items which give you a consumable Feat (like healing) as well as cutscenes and other voiced story elements.

The release game also has more options for customizing your character, more maps, and the three new classes. I am really looking forward to digging in when I get home tonight!

I mainly want the game for the graphics it looks really pretty but the gameplay and story varies.

Sorry to jump in with a dumb question, but is the campaign online against real people or is it solely an offline experience separate from any online multiplayer?

I guess I’m also just trying to figure out what this game “is.” I’ve read that it’s a fighting game but it also looks a lot like Dynasty Warriors and every video of the game I’ve ever seen just shows a dude running around, slashing at other guys, then running around some more. I love the art style of the game and people really seem to be digging it, but can someone tell me what they actually get out of the game by playing it that untrained eye isn’t seeing from videos?

I don’t mean that to disparage the game in any way. I’m genuinely curious about this game and I’m hoping to get some experienced insight.

Single player is offline, (the first level includes basic mechanic training and is very linear, haven’t gone further yet) and is completely separate. It has various difficulty options along with score multipliers and “Story Leveling” which unlocks more/better pickups to make missions easier.

I’m not sure what videos you’ve seen that only show players killing Soldiers (who die in one hit), but that is the only part of the game which feels like Dynasty Warriors, and even that part is fun and satisfying. The game is very much a combination of mechanics from the Dark Souls series (third person, upgrading your hero’s gear, stamina) with a fighting game; the various characters are all unique, they have a movelist (like in a FG), you have mechanics like unblockable attacks, grabs, grab techs, mixups, blocking, parries, counter hits, wallsplats, stuns, etc.

When you fight Soldiers, you don’t bother locking on, and use your wider sweeping swings to hit them. When fighting another Hero (typically another player) you lock onto each other and your movements become slower as you circle each other. You move your weapon to left, right, and overhead arcs by moving the right stick, and pressing your light or heavy attack button causes the weapon to attack from that side. In order to block it the opponent needs to pay attention to where your weapon is (there’s also an indicator) and move his weapon to block the correct side without pressing any attacks.

You can also parry an attack by pressing Heavy attack right before you successfully block, but if your timing is off you’ll get hit instead. You can cancel heavy attacks to feint and trick your opponent, grab them to break heavy defense (followed by a throw or a free hit), or use various specials or attack chains. When you are outnumbered you build a meter called Revenge, which gives you a temporary health boost as well as other benefits; sort of like a defensive Instinct.

I recommend looking up Duel gameplay specifically if you’re just interested in seeing how the PVP fighting works one on one, but the larger modes are awesome; Dominion is a three-capture-point mode with Soldiers to kill, but there are also two different deathmatch modes, with 1v1 and 2v2 dueling as well. All of the characters can be cosmetically customized, as well as upgrading their gear (with drops or by using in-game-earned Steel currency) to improve various stats like throw distance, Revenge gain, etc.

1 Like

That’s a relief. I’m definitely more intrigued now.

Honestly, I’m not sure either. I basically just Youtube searched For Honor and started watching videos. To be clear though, this was a while ago, so it might’ve been old footage that was trying not to show too much of the game. I’m not sure.

It wasn’t so much “run around and kill a bunch of dudes in one hit,” it actually tended to be more of “run around, find someone to fight, stop and circle them for a moment, then exchange sword whacks before running away to do the same with someone else.” Again, of course, my eye is completely untrained in what was actually happening in the game, that’s just what it looked like as an observer.

This sounds AMAZING. Every single word. Well, I’m not a Souls player, but the ideas you describe from it sound great when mixed with all the FG mechanics you mention as well. Wow. If I can follow a dumb question with another dumb question… Is it half as fun as it sounds?

See this is the part that has me confused a bit. You said that the campaign was single player offline. But here you’re saying that another Hero is typically another player. Can you expand on that a little or clarify it? Sorry if I’m being a bit obtuse here.

When you’re outnumbered? Is this in reference to when there are a whole bunch of grunts around or can you be surrounded by a bunch of heroes that you engage all at once?

I’ll be honest, the online multiplayer component of most games doesn’t interest me all that much. I tend to be more of an offline player. Wonder if this game would have enough in that regard or if this is really meant to be played online for the most part…

Anyways, thanks for the info man! I should’ve kept a closer eye on this one before.

@xSkeletalx has it right, but just for some additional context - all those video online are showing “dominion” mode multiplayer. This plays out a lot like any “control point capture” mode from a FPS game or even blitz mode in Halo Wars 2. There are three control points (A,B and C). The gimmick is that control point B is a battle zone for all of the AI controlled soldiers. These are individually weak but get in your way and harass you in numbers. To capture the control point you have to clear out enough enemy soldiers that your own teams soldiers can advance across the battlefield and control the zone. A single hero can do this easily, but if you are busy slashing soldiers than an opposing hero can come hit you from the side.

This may not give you the complete picture, but it does create a very interesting dynamic. Control points A and B are empty and usually one is close to the spawn point of each team. So a lot of the running around is tryingto control as much as possible while avoiding or hunting down opposing heroes

@xSkeletalx have they made any announcement about possible three team battles? It seems like that could add a whole new and potentially fun element.

EDIT: @Iago407 People are always heroes. Heroes can also be AI. Grunts are only ever AI. A big component of the multiplayer game is that (like in real life) being outnumbered is really really bad. The grunts are less dangerous but you definitely don’t want to try to duel a human hero surrounded by their teams grunts.

I’m describing the general mechanics. Reread my earlier Story mode post from about an hour ago to see what I’m specifically talking about regarding the enemies in Story mode.

When you block, dodge, or parry attacks you earn a little bit of Revenge each time. When fighting against multiple Heroes (whether those are AI controlled or player controlled) you earn Revenge faster.

Soldiers die in one hit, do only a little bit of damage (but it adds up over time or if there are many Soldiers stabbing you) and do not need to be locked onto. Heroes (other players or AI in multiplayer, AI only in Story) you will want to lock onto and use the arc fighting system against. In Story only, there are also Captains who are in between these two. They are only AI controlled, have about half the health that a Hero does, do not attack as strong or as often as a Hero, but also use the arc fighting system.

You can play all of the multiplayer modes against AI if you want to, and there are even team modes which are players against AI, but this game is at its best when you play with other people in my opinion. I’m enjoying Story mode though, and will be playing through all of it at least once.

You should have checked out the Open Beta this past weekend, as it would’ve let you get a taste of the combat system and multiplayer (no Story stuff was available though).

@BigBadAndy I haven’t heard anything, but I would be surprised if that isn’t one of the things in the works for at least one of the three updates coming out in the next year.

It feels nothing like Dark Souls… do not let that get into your head, you will be disappointed.

Ah, thanks!

All of that is great to hear. I might dip my toe in to online multiplayer if I like playing enough. Either way, everything you’ve said here sounds interesting.

I honestly hadn’t heard about it. I was also out most of the weekend and wouldn’t have been able to have sat down with it for an extended session. Still, as I said above, I’m definitely more interested, especially now that I know why I was seeing what I was seeing in the videos I looked at. Thanks a lot, man! Much appreciated.

Oh no, I didn’t get a Souls vibe from the play that I saw. If I had, I probably wouldn’t be here, as I’ve never particularly enjoyed those games. On a side note, I should give them more of a shot than I did the first time around. A few hours and a lot of deaths. Didn’t really know what I’d signed up for at the time lol.

1 Like