Characters you would NOT bring back for a theoretical KI sequel (Poll)

Nope, hate spiders. No love there.

Evil assassins and bondage?

I like evil assassins. Doesn’t have to be evil though, but I guess most would be because of the… killing people for money thing.

Sadira is an awesome character, imo. I love her looks, her moves, her gameplay, her style, her story… Very well made character overall, imo. I tried for a long time to get good with her, but because I have a problem with timing, I could never pull off her aerial combos and juggles.

As for bondage, not really my thing.

3 Likes

Cause heaven forbid it if a developer wants to bring in new people from other fandoms or make money… :confused:

I guess I can understand if it’s just something you “don’t like and can’t ignore” for whatever reason, but I’m personally glad to see guests in FG’s. Especially when they’re as well done as they are in KI.

@ItzTymeToDul There is no character in the SFV launch roster even remotely as complicated to make work as Kan-Ra. And while it’s good to have a mix of complicated and straightforward characters for any roster, at launch I think you’re much more constrained in just how crazy the cast can be. Gargos or Aganos would not have been good characters to launch with in S1, and Fulgore wasn’t either IMO.

Don’t get me wrong, S1 Gore is my absolute favorite version of the character. But for a roster of 8, can you honestly say his design was the best for the game? “Complicated” characters can work at launch if the level of complication only rises so far (say, S1 Sadira or Spinal), or if the roster is of such size that one really out-there design is easily passed over with no great loss in character variety.

I think S1 Gore works if KI launched with 12 characters. In fact, I think there’s a decent chance he gets left alone entirely in that world, because even though his gameplan is super particular the game is big enough to support such an oddball. It wasn’t though, and so we went down the redesign rabbit hole. I don’t think Kan-Ra is a good launch character for any launch roster under 12 characters.

And anyway, eff Kan-Ra :joy:

1 Like

When it’s taking up a spot on the roster, then yeah, I don’t like it.
But it’s a topic for another time and place (which has already happened several times in the past, explaining this exact same thing over and over again, so let’s just move on). ^^

3 Likes

With a moldy finger!

3 Likes

Please stop with the uncomfortable fungus-based jokes. We had a good romp over in the Memes thread, but it’s had its run. Please don’t start again.

1 Like
  1. That isn’t the joke… it Shadow Lords related.

2. Don’t ask someone to not make dirty jokes, then follow it up with “we had a good romp”

1 Like

2: lol, I didn’t even think about what I was saying…nice catch.

1: still…ew.

3 Likes

No I don’t think anyone stopped playing the game over it or stopped liking the series. But a lot of the people the MKO forum, at least, were unhappy and many of them did feel that the guests were taking a roster spot away from a character from the series that could’ve otherwise returned.

I don’t really think it works that way. I have no idea how it works, to be honest. But while that sample size from that sight is relatively small (and exceedingly anecdotal given that I’m just going off of my memory here), I tend to think that the general sentiment was more along the lines of what you were feeling. You weren’t happy about it, but it didn’t stop you from liking the series.

That’s all I was really getting at. :slight_smile:

As someone that’s honestly not a fan of those horror movies, I was right there with ya. MKX was even more disappointing in this regard.

I’m curious though… Why do these characters existing, taking up roughly ten percent of the overall character roster and having nothing to do with the main story, turn you away from the remaining 90% of the roster? You said that you enjoy Takeda and Tanya. Why do these other character existing deter your enjoyment of these two that you actually like?

For a game like KI, I’m probably more forgiving of guests simply by virtue of the fact that this isn’t a big budget game. Anything they can do to bring in more money and show MS that it’s a venture worth continuing, I’m in favor of… Well, to a point. Half the roster being guests would be garbage.

Sure, it would’ve been nice if they’d spread the guests out a bit through the seasons, rather than having all of them in one season, so if that’s why you lost interest, I can understand that. But if it’s because of the money grab aspect of it… I dunno. Games are a business and we know that. I’m not sure why that aspect would seem so oily as to put you off of the game, but that’s just me.

I’ll be honest, I don’t like guests simply because I’d rather have regular / canon characters. They can be part of the story, they can appear in subsequent games, which matters to me because if I become attached to a character, I want to see them in more games and guests don’t tend to do that.

But if I like playing them, then I use them. If I don’t, then I ignore them. Just like any other character. I’m not trying to change your mind, but I’m curious as to why you’re seemingly unable to do that as well. Any ideas on what you think the reasoning might be?

Yeah, MKX’s story, as well done as it was, had some stuff I didn’t particularly enjoy. My favorite character, Baraka, basically getting destroyed by Dvorah. Scorpion being an absolute moron. And while I’m curious where they’ll go with Liu Kang, Kitana and Raiden, something just feels off about the way they changed these characters IMO.

Oh well, guess we’ll just have to wait to see what happens next.

Eh, I’d rather have a variety, personally. I mean, it’s not like his move set is filled with moves that are impossible to do from a button pressing standpoint. You can mess around with his moveset and still have fun.

Agree 110%. Some people gravitate toward easier or more straight forward characters, and some people like the weirder, onion-like characters, whose potential is perhaps hidden under a few layers of obscurity or difficulty. I’m not saying that a season should be made up of all Kan Ra’s, but I think he provides some great variety, as I wouldn’t want a cast of all Jagos either.

I’m fully in favor of this. Keep the basic, universal mechanics. Combo breakers, counter breakers, the combo meter, flipouts, staggers, etc. The overall feel of the game should be familiar to players transitioning from one game to another. The discovery, for me, should come in both what old characters can do now, as well as what new characters have in store for me.

For me, it’s not really as fun do discover that an entire game plays rather differently and trying to figure out if I like what this series has become versus what it was in the past. Sometimes, it can work to a series advantage and sometimes it works to its detriment.

But… But… She’s my favorite. :disappointed_relieved:

Agree completely! It took me a while with some of her more basic aerial combos, and while I tend to think that the timing is a bit too strict on others, I find her to be a fun and entertaining character overall. Not to mention she’s just a badass. I’m still holding out hope that they can give her some sort of muay thai outfit that kinda goes with her lore / history. But either way, I think she’s awesome.

I believe so. Players still had Jago, Wulf, Orchid, Thunder… There were plenty of characters for people to get in and tool around with, and still a lot of basic fun to be had with Fulgore, even if he was a bit more complicated.

As for someone like Aganos, I think he would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb in season one, but that’s more or less because none of the designs in season one, to me, where of that nature. It was just a different game back then.

But if you’re talking about a future KI game, where we’ve already seen the kind of variety that KI offers? Honestly, I’d be rather disappointed if we DIDN’T get one or two characters that were a bit harder to figure out in an original roster of 8, as I don’t want a first season of all Jagos and Wulfs. But that’s just me. I think variety’s a good thing in fighting games, even if not every character’s for me.

But… But… He’s my second favorite. :disappointed_relieved:

lol, it’s cool. We all have different taste. I just think he’s a cool looking, well designed character, even if I’ll freely admit that I suck with him.

1 Like

You ask this, and then right after quote me answering it. XD

LOL, sorry! I guess I was more trying to get at the “but, why?” aspect. I know the answer is that you have no answer. It’s your opinion. It bothers you and you wish it didn’t, but it does. I guess I’m just trying to get at why it bothers you to SUCH an extent as to have a game more or less ruined for you. That’s more what I was getting at, as you seemed to imply that in the first quote.

I mean, I get that guests bother you and I get not being able to explain why they bother you. But I don’t like them and neither does Ragnarok, but we don’t stop playing the game, ya know? I just thought that why they bothered you THAT much might be a bit more explainable if you thought on it, but I’m sure I’m just barking up the same tree so yeah, feel free to ignore my question. :slight_smile: I guess I just wanted to get more information and wasn’t sure how to phrase the question, not that it matters since I doubt there is any more info for you to give. It’s all good.

remove everyone but rash
add zitz and pimple
change the genre to a beat em up
add a story mode
rename it “battletoads”

the perfect sequel roster

5 Likes

Well that escalated quickly.

1 Like

In my experience, the KI community is the worst about this by far.

I mean, remember how hype people got for the geese trailer?

4 Likes

I must say that I don’t have a problem with guest characters in any fighting game.
I play Alien and Predator in MKX and I’ve played Arbiter and Raam to Lvl 50. (I have to say that I like all these characters, except Raam, I think they could have chosen a cooler locust or a swarm character)

The thing with KI is that it makes their own version of a character instead of including them as a guest.
But like someone said above, KI always had a guest character: Sabrewulf

I disagree. The Kan-Ra in season two was pretty powerful and simpler to use in context of a couple of lacking mechanics (ex Flip out wasn’t a thing yet).

Honestly I think it’s just the same handful of people on the forums that keep blasting guests every time someone mentions them and that’s it.

There’s some especially loud people here for sure, but I’ve heard complaints about guests from beyond just these forums.