Characters you would NOT bring back for a theoretical KI sequel (Poll)

Oh, I was there.

I was too, and as a purist, I wasn’t happy about it, but it didn’t stop me from liking the MK series, as these characters didn’t replace any one actual MK character.

I remember when Freddy Krueger was announced to be a guest character in MK9. I was so angry. There were so many cool MK characters who could have been chosen to return, and instead they gave the spot to a character I truly could not care less about. And it has been the same issue with all guest characters in all fighting games… I could not care less about them. None of them are characters I like.

There was only 1 guest character I could understand was added. Also in MK9. Kratos. Because MK fans have heard Ed Boon speak so fondly of the character time and time again, saying he was one of his favourite characters from other game franchises, and that was from before MK9 was even a thing. So to see Kratos in MK9… as bad a character he was in that game (really, his gameplay was but a fraction of how he plays in the God of War series, due to limitations)… and seeing Ed Boon be so excited about Kratos being in an MK game… it was rather heartwarming.

I kinda feel the same about Rash in KI. He’s a Rare character and considering how bad Rare titles have been treated since Microsoft bought the rights, I can be happy on behalf of Battletoad and Rare fans.

But any other guest character… other than trying to bring people from other fandoms to buy their game, they never made any other sense. It’s business… that’s all. Just for money. Arbiter and RAAM made me lose interest in KI, same with how Alien, Predator, Jason and Leatherface made me lose interest in MKX. Which is a shame, because MKX is a good fighting game and though none of my favourite characters were initially in the game, I got Tanya who I mained instantly and played so much in that game… Takeda was my main before her though, as I quite like his style. The only new character I care about though.

I wish guest characters didn’t affect me at all. I wish I just wouldn’t care about them or their inclusion. I wish they wouldn’t affect how much I care about a game. But they do. I don’t know why and I’ve tried to ignore them, but I can’t. And now it’s been standard practise in fighting games, it’s acceptable and a lot of people like them… so I get left behind and there’s nothing I can do about it.

2 Likes

I lost interest in MKX when I realized they turned Kitana into a villain. :frowning:

More specifically the revenant version of Kitana and overall Revenant Kitana now in Mortal Kombat X :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t understand.

1 Like

This comment makes me extremely tilted lol

Tbh, fighting games are some of the fastest genre off games to get into. Every game is different. If fighting game sequels were to play the same the community would be unhappy with the changes because the lack of variety would lead to less OG players playing the NEW game.

Change is inevitable my friend. Diago umehara has played numerous street fighter games and he’s had to learn street fighter 3 4 and 5. It took him time but when he got it, he was really good.

Learning and experiencing new things in fighting game sequels is what attracts a new audience and keeps everyone entertained. If a sequel played exactly like it’s predecessor than why would you but the sequel? Just have the bee content in the sequel as DLC for the original game or as an expansion.

1 Like

When you have a launch roster, for the most part you would want characters that are pretty simple to grasp to get yourself going. Given Kan-ra’s gameplay, he DOES NOT do that.

1 Like

I think this is a drastic way of thinking but i agree. I don’t think the game should change DRASTICALLY, but a sequel has no business playing EXACTLY like KI.

Okay i understand now.

Welp based on the architecture of this games release i can understand why you would not release a hard-to-play character like kan ra

however i also think if a sequel were to occur, having one hard-to-play character at launch with a DECENT SIZED LAUNCH CAST (imo 12-15 characters at launch for this hypothetical sequel) would hurt the game because there are other characters to play aswell.

In SFV, if you are just starting out in fighting games, there are characters to help you learn the game and are easy to play (ryu, ken, rashid, necalli), however, there are other characters that are difficult to play (dhalsim, birdie, bison).

What I’m saying is, if you have a robust cast at launch, players should not be threatened by hard to play characters because they introduce variety in the game and can motivate players to play other characters.

TL;DR: I don’t think difficulty of gameplay style should disqualify a character for launch.

@STORM179

There’s no logic in releasing “easy” characters only at launch. That will only make the more competitive fans turn away from the game for being “too casual friendly”.

Sure, have some characters who ARE easy to learn, but adding some who are more of a challenge for those who like such characters as well, so there’s something for everyone.

but I’d prefer to not have to relearn how to play KI for a 4th time.

and I don’t feel they need to reinvent the wheel for a 4th time for a sequel.

Odd answers, considering both of my quotes were pretty much saying the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:

But to be honest I wouldn’t mind a few changes. Like add another couple of mechanics akin to flip-out and stagger. But keep the core of the game play similar enough that it’s not a KI1–>KI2 level of drastic reinvention. Personally I’d like to flip back & forth between the 2 without too many “Oh right…he can’t do that in this one” getting your butt kicked kind of moments. But that’s just me :wink:

1 Like

R.I.P. SAD-ira get outa here with your weirdness and out of placeness.

1 Like

Sadira: “Excuse me?”

10 Likes

sadira: you’re a real durn pie!

1 Like

… I could retort, but that would just be mean of me.

lol no need to retort i wasn’t being a jerk i was just typing out what i think sadira says when she wins. no hard feelings she just likes to call me a real durn pie!

1 Like

I thought you hated spiders…

I do.

Is it a love/hate thing?

1 Like