Chance for S4 announcement at E3?

From Scalebound if I recalled correctly?

Heā€™s homeless now. Heā€™d technically be new and theyā€™d definitely have to make a move set from scratch. Just an interesting thought but I bet @rukizzel can debunk it easily.

1 Like

Donā€™t you mean heā€™s gameless now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue:

I am hype for Ultimates. Thereā€™s lots of hype for this game, for the new character releases and for any potential new content. Donā€™t pretend to speak for everybody. Especially when your idea of hype is to kill the game in favor of a sequel that isnā€™t going to happen.

5 Likes

My thoughts are the same.

assuming a new sequel comes for the next XB system.

Certainly not THE answer. But at this point, Iā€™d have to think that they want as many arrows in their quiver as they can possibly make.

Well, to be fair, Sony also rode the wave of awful MS publicity leading up to the XB1 launch, capitalizing on every possible moment they had to make MS look like an incompetent, out of touch corporation while painting themselves as the good time bros that just want to play games.

Of course, having the more powerful AND cheaper console without a Kinect were the major factors, but Sony destroying MS in the PR battle certainly played a role coming out of the gate, Iā€™d have to think.

So if MS is banking on simply having the more powerful console, without having the lower price point and the PR on their side, I personally think that might be a miscalculation on their part. But what do I know? Iā€™m just lobbing opinions from the safety of the cheap seats. :slight_smile:

They donā€™t have the luxury of Sony stepping all over themselves with bad policies and worse responses to inquiries about them. So in a way, to me at least, having a slew of positive announcements to make at E3 as it pertains to what people should be excited about in the second half of the year and leading up to Scorpioā€™s launch might be the best PR they could possibly get which, to me, means every bit of good news they can muster.

So while KI would be a rather small piece of that PR small (okay, very small), being able to come out and say ā€œhey, this thing that weā€™ve been doing for years now, that keeps growing little by little? Well, weā€™re going to continue itā€ doesnā€™t seem like the worst idea, even if itā€™s not something thatā€™ll shatter the Earth and swallow Sony alive.

Just my two cents though. Again, I could be way off on this.

Itā€™s all anecdotal, of course. But I see this opinion a lot lately, whether it comes to comments sections on IGN articles or on Twitter or whatever. It seems to be a relatively accepted, or at least pervasive opinion among the more hardcore gaming audience (ie the type of people that would go to websites or post opinions on gaming sites, etc) that MS has had a very weak first half of 2017 in terms of exclusives, and that the latter half of 2017 doesnā€™t look much better.

Even if KI isnā€™t some huge feather in their cap (and who can say for sure how much MS values the IP, as Phil seems to like it and they keep putting out more stuff for it), itā€™s still an announcement and itā€™d be an announcement that would come at a time when they could certainly use as much good news about their lineup as possible.

Yeah I donā€™t know why this is even a question. If we got a 4th season, itā€™d presumably be all new characters. Anyone wants to worry about more guests, fine. That might be a legitimate worry, but remixes? Nah. Maybe one or two, tops. I still tend to doubt it though.

Now post season 4? All bets are off.

Why, so people can play the crap out of it for a month and then forget about it? Honestly, Iā€™ve been around since the first day the DH forums opened for KI and I can tell you personally that the community has grown around this game by leaps and bounds over the years.

Had they just released a single game at launch and been done with it, I donā€™t think itā€™d be nearly as successful. Maybe that means the series is set up now for a full fledged sequel thatā€™s a full game from the get go, but I dunno. Personally, I like the constant stream of content.

I think that there was some hype for something that people have been wanting to see for a long time, especially when Ultimates were first announced. A lot of people were over the moon about FINALLY getting what theyā€™d been asking for.

Yeah, I could see them announcing the last character at E3. Maybe even doing one of those ā€œand theyā€™re out todayā€ kind of deals, especially given the timing of previous releases (January for Kilgore, March for Shin Hisako).

I donā€™t think that means this would be KIā€™s only announcement though. If theyā€™re going to take up stage time (theoretically), then I doubt theyā€™d do it to put one final bow on a game. Iā€™m still thinking that IF they have Rukari or someone else come out to announce anything KI related, itā€™ll be to confirm season 4 and then show the trailer for Eagle or whoever character 3 is.

Just a guess though.

Just to put in a quick responseā€¦

I saw an Aaronā€™s Greenburg tweet about Phantom Dust calling it a fan favorite and another MS exclusive. Thats not wrong, but something about the head of marketing making the case that an HD remake of an old exclusive that sold very poorly as an Xbox exclusive makes me re-evaluate my earlier comment. I think MS may well think any and all games are equal when it comes to scoring points with the public.

As far as the current gen console launches, I think the price alone explains all of the sales differential in the first six months of the generation. The power is the second issue but itā€™s way behind price. But thePR beating that MS took and that Sony catapulted over is why the PS 4, even last year when MS had better software, is still selling better.

I hope that scorpio is a huge success. I have no reason to want it to fail. But Iā€™m really dubious.

Edit. This is a reply to @Iago407. I think I might have hit the wrong button.

I think all these ā€œplay anywhereā€ titles are MS way of trying to save themselves. They spent to much time riding the success of the 360 ā€œafter the ring of death issueā€ MS remaking the Kinnect for the X1 was really stupid. It had almost no support when it was on the 360. What games they did have for it never worked right. The only things I used mine for was to change my tv channels. Now that I have a X1s, I canā€™t even use it without buying an adapter.

I really hope they donā€™t see these Independent developer games as something that really helps the X1. 90% of these game look like pure trash ā€œsorry if some of you like these thingsā€ I am not going to spend $20+ on a game that looks like it could be played on my phone, or an old 8bit Nintendo. I donā€™t know about some of you, but I donā€™t want to play some low quality game in 4K.

Maybe MS would get less grief if they spoke about more than just Halo, Gears, amd Forza. 3 out of 4 weeks on that Xbox live thing, it is all about those 3 games and some nasty looking ID game that they are pushing.

Phillips is going to be on stage at E3 bragging about how ā€œState of the Artā€ and ā€œPowerfulā€ the next console is. Then the next person will show something like that stupid ā€œCupā€ game. It looks like some nasty 60s Mickie Mouse cartoon.

I donā€™t wanta to hear that ā€œwe listened to the fansā€ crap either. If they had, then the X1 would have been backwards compatible this whole time.
I get the fact that he is just doing his job, but maybe take the time to show the ā€œfansā€ some respect.

I think after the initial Mattrick era, there was likely more of a call under Phil Spencer to be more responsive to public opinion and to overtly show us that theyā€™re listening. People have been asking MS to bring back games from their catalog since the 360 days, so I think that any chance they get to talk about Phantom Dust or Voodoo Vince, theyā€™ll do it.

Plus, I tend to think that some of these people really love these games and consider remaking them to be a labor of love. I could be wrong, but itā€™s certainly the impression I get.

However, I also think they have to be cognizant of the current sentiment floating around the gaming landscape that Xbox One owners arenā€™t overly thrilled with how many exclusives Sonyā€™s been pumping out so far this year, while MS has been largely silent. They also have to be aware that the current announced lineup for the Fall isnā€™t generating a large amount of enthusiasm among fans.

You add all that up and yeah, I do think that thereā€™s genuine love and respect for the games that they want to bring back and I do think that they want to listen to fans and satisfy as many as possible. But I also think that thereā€™s an aspect of wanting to throw out any and every bit of good news as well. I just hope that translates to a lot of compelling announcements at E3, regardless of the magnitude of each individual reveal.

Iā€™ll agree with that. Price, power and PR. Sony has had all three of those on their side at various points this generation. Theyā€™ve largely lost the price part, and now MS will be taking the power part. The only way I can see them winning back the PR part is by a lot of announcements (not a few or some) at E3 that leads them toward a packed Fall and Winter of quality titles that truly outshine what Sony has to offer.

Personally, I donā€™t have a ton of faith at the moment, but there are a few announcements that would make me really happy in particular, like KI season 4 or a new MechAssault or a new Crimson Skies or a new Lost Odyssey. Iā€™m not expecting any of those, though Iā€™m slightly hopeful for KI season 4.

Yeah, I really donā€™t know what they were expecting there. Maybe the sales numbers on the first Kinect told them that there was a substantial market here? Maybe they thought full Kinect integration would really be something that people would want and would separate them from the competition?

I dunno. Every time I see a console stray too far away from what gamers actually want, it seems to end badly. Sure, the Wii sold a ton, but it also petered out badly in the latter part of that consoleā€™s life cycle and I tend to think it poisoned the well for the Wii U as well.

Now, my lady LOVES herself some Dance Central. Those three games are the reason why my 360 is still plugged in. So itā€™s still kinda sad that they couldnā€™t figure out more to do with this technology.

I think that thereā€™s a difference though between graphics that donā€™t push the system and low quality. I personally donā€™t care if the game isnā€™t blowing my face off with its beauty so long as itā€™s fun and plays well.

However, where Iā€™m getting tripped up a bit more is the part where I keep hearing about certain indy titles and not hearing much about big time exclusives. Sure, Cuphead looks great. It looked great last year and the year before too. Ashen seems intriguing. So does Tacoma. But where are the bigger games? Whereā€™s Xboxā€™s Zelda or Mario Kart or Ni Oh or Horizon Zero Dawn or Yakuza 0 or MLB The Show? And thatā€™s just stuff thatā€™s come out so far this year.

To me, thereā€™s a substantial lack in balance for MS right now and it appears to be a simple case of the Halo team working on new Halo, the Gears team likely working on new Gears, and thereā€™s simply not much else in the pipeline that we know about yet. 2017 has been an exceptionally dry time for Xbox games. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s because they have a ton of stuff to announce for later this year and next year, because if itā€™s not, then that would be a massive and unpleasant surprise.

PREACH. Honestly, Iā€™m so tired of hearing about these games, which is insane because theyā€™re good games. I should want to hear more about them. But when theyā€™re the big titles coming out every single year, year after year, for me, it becomes ā€œokay, those are nice, but how about Lost Odyssey 2 or Alan Wake 2 or Crimson Skies 2 or MechAssault 3 or Fable 4 or a new Banjo or Conker or Kameo or any number of titles exclusive to Xbox that have been withering on the vine for years and years while we get Forza 6 or Halo 6 or whatever?ā€

I donā€™t want to feel like I resent good games just because they seem to come at the expense of a much wider variety of good games that I want to play. I donā€™t think thatā€™s the choice thatā€™s being made regardless, but if it is, it kinda sucks as an Xbox owner.

Either way though, as someone thatā€™s enjoyed MSā€™ exclusives each generation, Iā€™m honestly getting tired of waiting for sequels to these great games. Yes, I want new experiences as well, but when I look at Sonyā€™s lineup and I see new stuff like Bloodbourne and Horizon and then I see them making sequels to stuff like Uncharted, God of War and Last of Us and also bringing out good games in less popular genres like Disgaea 5 and taking chances on stuff like Detroit, it makes me wonder why MS canā€™t do that too.

Why canā€™t we get sequels to Halo and Gears, but also get sequels to Crimson Skies, MechAssault and Banjo? Why canā€™t we get all of that and also have them take some chances?

I know itā€™s not that black and white. I know some games have been cancelled. But man, it just feels right now like a lot of bad luck and timing have coalesced to form this current desert for Xbox fans, and the more Phil touts 3rd party titles and the more I hear about indy titles, the more it makes me wonder when the droughtā€™s going to end, because right now, Iā€™m looking at the Fall and Iā€™m not seeing anything that makes me want to get a Scorpio.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually looking forward to that gameā€¦not that itā€™s anything I would want to go out and grab a Scorpio for, but I honestly like the 1940ā€™s (not 60ā€™s) Disney design of it. Itā€™s rather unique for a video game to have, particularly a bullet-hell game.

2 Likes

Thoughtful comments as always. This just shows what a gaping hole Scalebound leaves in their lineup. I donā€™t see a single new IP or even a relatively new IP showing up as a AAA game exclusively on Xbox in the next 18 months. Thatā€™s tough times. Maybe they know something I donā€™t and people really want to buy kick ā– ā– ā–  hardware like Scorpio to run HD remastered of games they skipped 10 years ago. But I would have thought people would like to upgrade to see beautiful games with visual impactā€¦

1 Like

Only the Cupheads and Mughead is sorta Disney-ish. Everything else is blatantly Fleischer.

Yes, thank youā€¦I know that didnā€™t seem quite right when I was typing it.

1 Like

Competitively there is no hype. I been around since the ki forums opened up too. I love KI but there are new fighting games on the horizon that will make KI obsolete. And the only way to make KI stand out again is with a sequel. When MKX came out I played it the whole life cycle of the game but when they stop supporting it. I stopped playing it and started playing KI again. KI is a fun game but there isnā€™t any hype. They gave us rehashed unoriginal characters kilgore shin hisako they could of down somethinwg so much better. Ultimates are cool but that stuff should have been in the game when it LAUNCHED. And some of them are just down right terrible. All im saying is that I love KI but it time for a new game. Get people interested in it again. I used to love watching Fchamp and balrog stream the game now hardly anyone streams except for the occasion max stream. I mean ya are acting like im shitting on the game when im not.

Watch Texas Showdown, that was a hype Top 8 to me.

Youā€™re assuming it wonā€™t just get the same lukewarm response again. And everyone that ever asks for a sequel has no idea what to do to make a sequel worthwhile instead of continuing with the product we have now.

Subjective. Everything released so far (apart from Gold skins) has had me hype all the way, including Kilgore and Shin Hisako.

And what exactly is this ā€œso much betterā€? Define that better.
Rehashed and unoriginal? Okay, maybe Iā€™ll give you that one because they are admittedly remixes. That doesnā€™t make them any less fun. They also expand the lore, something that the new KI has been lacking.

The emphasis on ā€œlaunchedā€ makes me wonder if you know the kind of budget it would have required to add these features and whether it would have been a viable business decision to add them in to a game that was being revived after a long absence over more critical features.

I enjoy watching streams too, but Iā€™d much rather be playing. And streamers are nowhere near the entirety of KIā€™s population, there are enough players to keep this game alive even while people claim that the game is dead when one or two people stop streaming.

But you are. You may absolutely love the game, but saying things like thereā€™s no hype, they could have done ā€œsomethingā€ better is trashing the game. KI has been going for 3 years with constant updates, SF4 started in 2008 and was still going up until SFV was released, a lovely 8 years with not nearly as many updates as KI. There is no reason KI should stop now.

1 Like

No one is saying youā€™re shitting on the game. We just disagree with you, thatā€™s all. Peopleā€™s opinions tend to come across pretty strongly, but that doesnā€™t mean it has to escalate.

I donā€™t know how to measure hype in the competitive scene. I know that we have multiple online events running, coming up or just finished that are coordinated through these forums. I am more interested in competitive play than I have ever been. And the game keeps being played at tournaments. And even guys who have ā€œretiredā€'from the game still play in tournaments and exhibition sets. I donā€™t know, compared to S1 which everyone was hype for it feels like the competitive scene is way more mature now and thereā€™s just a lot more going on.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Thereā€™s Sea of Thieves. Is that AAA though? Either way, I get what youā€™re saying. Their lineup right now, especially during a year that theyā€™ll be launching new hardware, premium or not, seems staggeringly thin, especially where it pertains to big new IPs. But still, even if you want to open the tent up a bit more to include remasters and sequels, itā€™s not like the tent fills up a whole lot more.

Man, Iā€™m still kinda bummed about Scalebound. I know that there were some rough aspects and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty we donā€™t know about that gameā€™s development, but some of what I did see, like that huge boss battle at E3 a year or two ago was intriguing.

I think thatā€™s kinda the sad part for me right now. Itā€™s not even that thereā€™s nothing Iā€™m desperate to play. Thereā€™s really nothing that even intrigues me at this point. I might change my mind on Crackdown 3 and possibly Cuphead, but man. Thatā€™s really me kinda forcing myself to be psyched for whatā€™s being offered and I donā€™t want to have to do that anymore than I want to post negative stuff about their lineup to begin with, ya know?

Well sure, thereā€™s always going to be more games coming out. Maybe some people leave KI to play Tekken 7 or MvCi or Injustice 2 or whatever and some of those people never come back. Maybe some of them do.

However, it should be noted that KI has been out for 3 years and other players, both casual and pro, have cycled through this game, like balrog (per your example). Iā€™m sure you and I both remember other names of people that were all over the forums that no longer post here or even stopped posting on the first iteration of IGā€™s forum or DHā€™s forum. I havenā€™t seen CStyles or Rotendo or Marbledecker or several others in a long time.

That doesnā€™t mean the game is dying or obsolete or that the only way to save KI from oblivion is to release a completely new game, at least in my opinion. I think that every time thereā€™s a new season, more fans filter in and the game seemingly grows. Maybe that doesnā€™t happen with a 4th season, who knows. But it happened with seasonā€™s one and two and three and that was when it was going up against MKX, Street Fighter V, Guilty Gear Xrd and others, so letā€™s not pretend that new games coming out automatically means KI has to follow suit.

Well, we donā€™t know what they couldā€™ve done. Letā€™s be clear on that. Letā€™s not go assuming things. :slight_smile:

If you feel that way, no problem. I still love this current iteration of the game, and I see no evidence supporting the idea that the hype generated by a 4th season would bring people back or create new fans to fill in that hype void that comes from any type of down time in between seasons thatā€™s happened since post season one. Maybe Iā€™m wrong though.

Didnā€™t mean to imply that at all. Donā€™t worry about it man, weā€™re just talking here. I know you like the game. Thereā€™s no loyalty test you have to pass just to have an opinion here. I get to have my opinion too and we donā€™t have to agree. Itā€™s alright. If we all agreed all the time, itā€™d make for a rather boring forum lol.

Iā€™m not sure how serious you were with this, but just to point out that sea of thieves may be a huge, megabudget AAA title that will go down in history as the greatest game of all time. But right now, the feeling among most gamers that I see is that, at best, this is an interesting experiment in cooperative gaming that might be fun to play. I honestly donā€™t see it having the impact of something like Horizon - even if that game has its flaws itā€™s gorgeous to look at and people ā€œget it.ā€ They were excited, anticipated its arrival and then talked about how awesome it was when it landed. I donā€™t see that for Sea of Thieves and I wouldnā€™t expect it based on the type of game it is. That game is going to need some serious marketing if they expect it to be a blockbuster and I havenā€™t really seen thatā€¦

A few dozen people on a messageboard does not really qualify as hype. And the original post has like 30 likes.

And judging by what Iā€™ve seen everywhere else, disappointment pretty much squashed any excitement these ultimates may have created.

I was asking the question if it technically qualifies as a AAA game. Honestly, this is the closest thing I can think of to a game that would check the boxes of ā€œnew IP,ā€ ā€œbig budget,ā€ and ā€œexclusive.ā€ Of course, does it ACTUALLY have a big budget compared to AAA games like Halo or Gears or something along those lines? I have absolutely no idea. I sincerely doubt it, but who knows. Just as I tend to doubt that itā€™ll have the kind of hype or PR reach that a game like Horizon had prior to release.

But yeah, this is all that I could think of when you said that there were no new AAA IPs coming down the pipeline for MS in the next 18 months. It was the closest thing I could think of and the sad part is that I really donā€™t think itā€™s all that close to meeting those parameters.

Man, I really hope MS has a few (okay, several) substantial cards up their sleeves for E3. But going back to what I said before, I really hope they have a ton of announcements, not just of a Horizon level, but of a KI level as well. I really do think that they need as much good news, as much quality or interest generating titles across a wide variety of genres as possible to get the hardcore fanbase up and running again, especially if they intend to sell that premium console to those very people MS seems to think Scorpioā€™s aimed at.

To echo your sentiments, I really donā€™t know how they expect to sell Scorpio if the only thing people will have to play on it are Forza and a bunch of 3rd party games, especially if Sony has PS4 Pro and a ton of exclusives. I donā€™t know how they think all the R&D costs that go in to Scorpio will be paid off by a fanbase thatā€™ll have so few system selling exclusives to buy.

So to be clearā€¦ A few dozen people on a message board is anecdotal; not enough people to really gauge what a fanbase is feeling, right? Okay, I see your point.

But you seeing disappointment ā€œeverywhere elseā€ qualifies as non-anecdotal evidence of widespread disappointment how exactly? So like, are we talking hundreds of people youā€™ve spoken with? Thousands?

Please tell me how your interpretation of widespread disappointment is different from the way you see the message board hype.

Also, just curious, but where are you seeing all of this disappointment?

1 Like