1 Like

I want:
More characters
Online practice
More accessories
More colors
More costumes

2 Likes

Of course, there are going be big fixes and an online training mode definitely would be useful.

Honestly most of the aesthetic stuff I don’t really care for. Would things like costumes/accessories and ultimates be cool? Yes of course. If not, then I’m not losing sleep over it because these things have little to no effect on my gameplay.

As far as characters go I would be fine if there were less characters than usual. We have plenty of characters as it is and adding more could make it troublesome as it means even more matchup memorizations, gimmicks, animations, ect on top of what we have now. Plus the devs would able to use the money on other things people want like more modes, stages, and the aforementioned costumes and ultimates.

The only thing I really didn’t vote on is the story question. That’s because I still stand by the story should end at season 3. Stopping Gargos and Eyedol would definitely be good stopping point for this iteration of KI. Let the heroes have a good rest. Save the aftermath stuff for the sequel. If they’re going to add more characters, have them be there to expand the universe. It’s not a must for them to have some role in the current story.

Where did the idea of TJ Sharkman come from? Even since the survey i’ve never been able to find out.

People were throwing around the idea of a sharkman like from Street Sharks for a long time before the survey a few months ago. See images.

7 Likes

Picked 6 characters. Whilst I wouldn’t mind more or less, I feel in my heart that wrapping up production on a power of 2 is the right way to go.

Chose the costume/color/accessory options for S4 ultra, but stages for various characters could make sense. I would pay money for these things, but I also won’t lose sleep if none of these things happen. (Though the costumes/accessories/misc. cosmetics thing, as has been canvassed numerous times already, is a no-brainer that should happen.)

I don’t care if they do ultimates. They’d be a nice extra finisher that’d get the casuals excited, so I think they have a place, and they’re a very KI way of finishing a match. I think No Mercies don’t belong in KI, they’re a straight MK fatality knock-off that got shoehorned into the old games and has no place here. I don’t think any of this stuff should involve severing of limbs or anything really more extreme than the stage ultras, since Microsoft is angling for a “hero league” kind of thing with the KI roster a la The Avengers, Overwatch, etc, and hero leagues are polished, slick commercial production stuff that doesn’t get mired in this whole fatality thing.

Whilst I picked one of the “YES” options, honestly I think a fine way to go would be an elaborate Hisako reskin. You might need to get a little imaginative with the animations for things like forward dash and possession, but the pokes and the catch-counter are exactly what I’d expect to see out of this kind of character.

I picked a “NO” option for the rework, but I think it’d be cool if Mira picked up a transform into a stereotypical vampire demon/bat-thing form.

I’m expecting a mechanically distinct character, if that’s what you’re getting at. A totally new character would make sense, but TJ would make a fine Street Shark. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What type of “stage relighting” level project would you like to see MS/IG undertake for season 4?

This one should have had an “all of the above” option.

2 Likes

Oh, one feature I do want to see is an edition select. It’d be a lot of work to settle on what editions of characters and system mechanics, and combinations thereof, to allow, and then implement it all without everything breaking, and I’m not sure that the community is mature enough to be handed an edition select without immediately erupting into arguments about going back to the “good old days” of S1 or S2 or (by then) S3 as the default for competitive play, but I feel that KI’s history ought to be honoured by making older balances of characters and systems available to be played.

Oh, also all the priorly requested (and extensively detailed) stuff around Practice Mode, Dojo, Shadows, etc. Prioritize that over stages plz MS/IG.

2 Likes

This

There was a thread awhile back where someone showed everyone how to use the S1 disk to go back and play it in an enclosed environment (delete KI from XB!, disconnect it from the internet, load from disk, play on an offline profile) and while there was a lot of comparisons I think the final result was most everyone agreed that while S1 was what got us all hooked in it was fairly broken, andthe game’s only gotten better over time.

I always enjoy with the spanish concept of “Retro-Rotura”(which can be translated as “Retro-Break”)
Playing a game after some years, and discovering that you can’t play it anymore.

Example: Final Fantasy VII. It was one of my favourite games when it was launched. I tried to play it a year ago. Holy ■■■■■■■ ■■■■. I can’t believe it. How badly translated is to spanish, how many bugs, weird stuff, and nonsenses it has.

It was a great game in its time, but now it’s totally outdated.

I’m sure about many players who want to play S1/S2 will die if they have to deal again against some of that seasons stuff(Sadira/wulf S1, launch Maya/TJ, unnerfed Kan-Ra, old lockouts ui, knockdown on breakers
)

I want stages added for all the characters that are missing them, in terms of reimagined character I think the the human version of Cinder might be a fun character to include since we know a fair bit about his background.

No season 4.

Any particular reason? Just curious what your thoughts are beyond the opinion.

What if MS/IG added the Street Sharks?! THAT WOULD BE SO BADASS

The simplest way I can explain my reasoning is a jar of playdoh. The more you play with it the more dry it will get; no matter how much fresh playdoh you put over the dry stuff, eventually you have to buy new playdoh. This analogy is the best way to describe this iteration of Killer Instinct
which is that no matter how many seasons you try to create to cover up the old, eventually you need a new game to remove limitations of the old (the dry playdoh).

Up until this point people have just associated new content as needing a new season because this is how it has been presented to us thus far. This certainly doesn’t need to be the case going forward, they can always add new characters/content without labeling it as a new season.

The biggest problem for me with new seasons personally is the enviable changing of system mechanics and characters which in turn as we’ve seen in previous years have driven more people away from the game than has introduced new people. This evidence is apparent by looking at stream numbers and tournament participation which are both at an all time low. Lets also not forget the enormous amount of bugs each new season has introduced to the game which was the biggest complaint about S3. Granted bugs are just an inherit problem of game design, that doesn’t change the fact it’s just simply frustrating for competitive and players in general when they have to wait weeks/maybe months for crucial character bugs to get ironed out.

I think it’s also important to note the limitations of the game engine are holding up development as well. Correct me if I’m wrong but there have been numerous things mentioned that they are unable to add to the game in the past because it would require either a massive code overhaul (expensive) or without going through and reanimating everything like to add in head tracking or the ability to turn off negative edge.

Going forward I just don’t see any real net gain or benefit in continuing development on this version of the game instead of diverting resources into development of a real sequel perhaps for PC and Scorpio. You just satisfy the same small casual player base that will simply ask for a Season5 right as S4 gets launched lol. This would just be a much needed refresh for a lot of people with fresh character designs, new graphics engine without limitations that Double Helix had in place etc. including being able to rectify some of their mistakes with designs and costumes like Kim Wu’s face or most of the retros; something they will simply never get to if they continue making seasons. While development is happening on the new game, for sure in the meantime continue to support this version with perhaps a couple DLC characters and costumes. People love jumping on board the new game hype train as people love to play the new fresh hottness. We’ve seen this with MKX, KoF, Tekken and even KI S1 where literally everyone was playing like LTG, Justin Wong, Sonic Fox, ROG and many more.

The only real flaw in my plans logic is in the budget. There is no real secret at this point that KI has had a pretty low budget for development, I mean you can just look at the animation for Kim Wu’s Dragon Sweep and realize this. If they aren’t willing to invest more money in development on this version what makes me or anyone else think they would invest in creating a new sequel which would obviously be more expensive then creating a S4 aka putting a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches. Only if by some miracle Phil Spencer gets generous one day and walks into Adam Isgreen’s office and says “Here is $20,000,000 for KI” I don’t see this ever changing as they game just isn’t worth investing into at the moment in an already niche market which is dominated by SF. Shoot if I was rich I would pour money into this franchise like crazy because that’s how much I want it to succeed.

I am only one person here and obviously don’t speak or work for IG or MS; just as a fan and passionate community member like everyone else I just want whats best for the game and it’s future overall and a Season4 isn’t whats best.

In closing I leave you all with what a next Gen KI could look like on Unreal Engine 4

1 Like

2 Likes

All season 3 stages, a tessen Fan Weilding Character, all new character skins, colors, and Accessories, plus a big interactive storyline

I didn’t answer the question about new character ideas, because honestly character archetypes are far less interesting to me than are playstyle archetypes. I care much less about who a character is and what they look like than what they do.

Maya, when you describe her character, sounds like a groan. Then, you see what she can do and realize that IG/MS will make any character archetype look cool, and your mind changes.