Why we don't have successful Omen players at championships? Does Omen really needs buffs?

Im only noticed because Ive been on stream at a few offline events and a few of the forum events.
I seen your rank in ranked…you are higher up than me so that counts for something!

3 Likes

I’m just messing with you lol, guarantee you’d still beat me though.

Glacius DID get a damage buff in S3. It wasn’t what I was thinking of, but Glacius Did receive a damage Buff. Patch 3.6: Shadow Cold Shoulder damage increased. Go look it up.
In a way the counter breaker were broken. The timing between the symbol and when you actually need to hit the buttons were off, so yes they were broken. It is no different than if a character turned around to slow, amd was always getting hit.
Fulgore is still a great pick? Why, because a few really good players said so? You guys can’t have it both ways. You can’t brag about being the best, and then say a character isn’t bad just because you can still play them well.

Don’t give me that “I don’t want to argue” excuse. I see you guys pop up with a post everytime someone of average skill doesn’t like something. Just because casual players don’t want to spend a 1,000 hours in practice mode doesn’t mean they don’t have the right to not like changes, and want changes that would make the game fun for them. After all there are 1,000s of causal players for every one pro.

Counter breakers weren’t broken they just appeared to be, the symbol came out too slow for it to feel right but not too slow that you couldn’t react. There was no “damn, I wouldn’t have counter broken if that symbol appeared 8 frames earlier like it should have” because it’s simply not humanly possible to react in that time frame. All the late symbol meant was that it sometimes looked like a lockout happened after the counter breaker.

It is also MAJORLY different to a character being too slow to block a crossup. One creates legit inescapable situations and is a purely mechanical issue, whereas the symbol issue was a UI flaw that didn’t actually mechanically affect the game.

1 Like

Opener Shadow Cold Shoulder damage increased by ~15%
Linker Shadow Cold Shoulder damage reduced by ~15% [These two changes make the damage output from the opener and linker version of this move identical. Glacius’ unbreakable punish damage goes up slightly, and his lockout combo damage goes down slightly as a result.]

He has THE SAME damage output than previous the change. One move deals more damage, but in exchange, in other situation gets less damage.

So Glacius NEVER got a damage buff during s3.

The visual indication came slower, but it worked the same way. Not broken[quote=“SadisticRage76, post:43, topic:21386”]
It is no different than if a character turned around to slow, amd was always getting hit.
[/quote]

No, they worked, but the visual indication seemed weird. But the same timing now and then gets the same outcome. A character turning around slowly is clearly broken, as is unintended.

Glacius’ shadow cold shoulder damage was berfed in 3.6 such that both versions of the move (opener and linker) did the same damage. Exact patch note wording below (h/t to @Infilament):

• Opener Shadow Cold Shoulder damage increased by ~15%
  • Linker Shadow Cold Shoulder damage reduced by ~15% [These two changes make the damage output from the opener and linker version of this move identical. Glacius’ unbreakable punish damage goes up slightly, and his lockout combo damage goes down slightly as a result.]

If this is what you want to call the damage buff that made people flock to Glacius, then it is what it is I guess. But it actually reduced his damage in certain (common) situations, and I’d be very surprised to meet even 5 players who decided to pick him up over it. It rewards Glacius for patient and solid defense, while somewhat reducing his ability to wreck your world for guessing wrong mid-combo. Between the two, I’d generally suggest the latter is probably the stronger tool.

Fulgore is still a great pick because he is a character with tools at all ranges who can fit into a variety of playstyles depending on your preference. Good backdash, a meterless DP, great grab range, solid buttons, potent vortex, and the ability to avoid or overpower attempts to zone him. Once he gets meter (which isn’t terribly difficult), he also becomes one of the most mobile characters in the game. I don’t need a good player to vouch for him being a great character - I can look at his tools in the context of the rest of the cast and determine that he has a versatile and powerful toolset. I’ve never said he’s easy to play or that he has a low skill floor, but the fact of the matter is that the character is good because his tools are good.

Who said I don’t want casuals to enjoy their time with the game? I “pop up” when I think I have a useful point to add to a conversation, nothing more and nothing less. You or anyone else is more than free to dislike something for one reason or another, but I’m going to call it when I see someone blasting a character or mechanic based on bad assumptions. That doesn’t help them get better, it doesn’t help them enjoy the game, and it spreads misinformation throughout the community.

8 Likes

I haven’t touched or for that matter even thought about playing omen since getting him to level 50, purely because I think his design really sucks.

That picture is heartbreaking :cry:

All I’m reading is “Omen is not free to Glacius” then I think: I need to learn Omen for that MU! But I have a long way to go. Tried Shago, and I’m bad xP

Anyway I did want a character with a good dp and fireballs (invencible if possible) as a pocket, but I ended up using Riptor u.u
I know, it’s just me having fun with characters :3

1 Like

I Am a lil bit divided with the rest but I tottaly agree with that one. good saying!
no salt peoples cause its just a opinion like another.

yes he did!

total right , and many pro player can confirm it too , like UAbass and amenty an charlieboy and other like itsflash
there is something wrong in the counter break. sometime its say lock out and nothing appear on the screen then directly again lockout.
I feel you totallyt on this one ,
But for me it don’t change anything cause I break most of the time right at the first frame .lol I got like a 90% chance to break all yo manuals at the first frame lol
so it don’t matter for me that it work correctly or not.

Welcome in the house ahahhahahah :relieved:

• Fulgore is difficult to zone. He has a teleport, heavy laser to clear projectiles, a fireball of his own, a good dash, one of the better anti-projectile shadow moves, and can rapidly close space with blade dash.

• Fulgore can, with minimal resource cost, zone effectively. His backdash is not just great for escaping pressure, it allows him to easily reposition to spaces on the screen where his fireball is effective. Jumping over his projectiles isn’t a reliable option due to DP pip cancel. He can easily transition from zoning to offense, making it an iffy proposition to try and wait for a spot to shadow through or move in on him.

• Fulgore’s pressure is strong. He has a good number of plus on block normals to use in close range, and if he’s trained the opponent to block he can reset his pressure using axis slash outside the range of the first hit. Medium laser is a very strong offensive move; its two low hits can blow up attempts to fuzzy guard his offense and being 0 on block he can follow up with more offense vs many characters and at worst take a trade. And of course he has strong tools for opening people up in his fast overhead and long throw range.

• Fulgore’s setplay is nasty. If he wants to burn some resources, his fireball > teleport mixups are ambiguous and multilayered. If he’s feeling stingy, it’s still strong to be able to put a meaty fireball on someone and follow up on it.

• Fulgore’s defense is some of the best in the game; his reliable meterless reversal, amazing backdash, and long throw range are all obstacles to anyone trying to effectively pressure him. He’s more vulnerable to specific kinds of offense than other characters due to having meter for shadow counters less often, but in many, many other situations he’s in a much better position due to his straightforward and strong defensive options.

• Reaching full meter takes his strong neutral and jacks it up to eleven. His mobility is very hard for many characters to contest; coupled with his already long throw range he can threaten offense from very far out, and his buffed backdash is extremely good for runaway. On top of that, hype beam does big unbreakable damage, a massive amount of PD, and hits the entire horizontal span of the screen on frame 6. Pound for pound it’s the best punish tool in the game, punching huge holes in some characters’ gameplans due to easily punishing essential moves and leaving them in a situation where one or two more bad decisions will almost certainly end their lifebar. Just getting to 10 pips substantially changes how his opponent has to play vs him.

• So what are his weaknesses? His damage is on the lower end of the cast, and his nonstandard meter means he has to tailor his play around it if he wants to make the most of the mechanics available to him. We’ve already talked about the first point, but to reiterate: low damage is not complete damnage. Hitting hard isn’t necessary when you dominate neutral and have effective offense, because the hits come easy and often. As for the latter, it’s true that his more limited access to meter can be an issue, but to examine this point honestly and fully we have to take a step back and look at what we just talked about–what happens when his meter is full. It’s so different from what other characters get, it would be disingenuous to imply that fulgore gaining meter is the same as another character gaining meter. His meter gain is slow because the benefits of having full meter are so great.

• IN SUMMARY: Fulgore doesn’t really have any range he isn’t comfortable fighting from. He has options for any situation, and if he gets momentum and resources he can easily snowball to a win, even with his fairly low damage. Managing meter is more difficult than it is for other characters, but this is a tradeoff for very, very strong tools using that meter.

Is that enough? I don’t want to keep having this “Is Fulgore A Weak Character” discussion.

7 Likes

While all those examples are good, they leave out the point others “like me” try to make and that is those are things “competitive” players think about, not casual players. To a casual, his meter is hard enough to deal with, and changing how it speeds up affects more players, than it doesn’t.

Not every player is in their late teens or early 20s with little to no responsibilities, and has the time to spend 50+ hours trying to figure out how to play one character. I will have this discussion “and other character discussions” all day. Just because 20 or so people can play him well doesn’t mean he is ok the way he is to everyone. This is the pro ego that I have an issue with. Ruin the fun and enjoyment for 1000’s of casuals as long as 20 competitive players are happy.

Maybe if Omen got a damage boost, every match wouldn’t consist of non stop orbs and slides with the occasional dive kick.

There are a ton of points i want to make but there is the one thing i need to ask first…

@SadisticRage76

From reading, or maybe i misunderstood, there is a difference of some sort between a “pro”, a “casual”, and a “competitive” player. What is that difference to you?

1 Like

I know you asked Sadistic but I d like to answer also.

A Pro is someone sponsored by a team and most likely doesnt have a normal day job. Also has most likely won an offline major event of placed top 3 consistently , also has won Money and depends on winning tournaments for money. Example SLEEP, NICKY, THOMPSON

A competitive player is someone that plays offline events and online, regardless of placement and ISNT sponsored. Most have a normal day job and see the events as a weekend warrior type “serious hobby”. Not too worried if they win money or not. EX: Storm, LCD, Fall of Seraphs, ItztimetoDul, and many forum members that frequent offline and online events.

A Casual is someone that doesn’t play in tournaments and just plays on the couch for fun just like any other game. they dont care about tournaments, Balance patches, ect…

These are examples and are not limited too or exact rules to what they mean…but close enough for an explanation.

3 Likes

I like this explanation.

1 Like

That’s not an issue with the character, though. That’s an issue with you. You could put the effort in to improve your skill, but you don’t.

5 Likes

SAY IT AGAIN! Lol

this is now the new term for how to talk about how hard mira hits

“wow look at that damnage!”

9 Likes

Don’t enable me like this, it was a bad pun with a word that isn’t even real!

3 Likes

Here’s the thing though; there are lots of characters in lots of games that are hard to play for beginners.

You have two options: pick a different character, or practice and get better.

I don’t think saying “sure, the pros can use that character effectively, but people like me sure can’t” will get you too far in asking for changes.

It’s a bummer to really like a character that is hard (ish) to play, but … that’s just something you’ll have to get used to if you want to play fighting games. If you really like Kazuya in Tekken, you’ll proooobably have to learn how to do electrics at some point. Going to a Tekken forum and saying “I can’t do electrics, why not give him buffs so the rest of us can play?” won’t be met with a good response.

Basically, there comes a point where you have to look at your own play and make a judgment. If you are losing more than you’d like, you have to analyze the character’s strengths and figure out why you aren’t using those strengths as well as you can. If you think that the missing piece of the puzzle is too hard to implement, then … gonna have to start practicing, yeah? This advice doesn’t just apply to fighting games either, but any game (or any life skill, really). If you want to beat a hard Dark Souls boss, gonna have to apply problem solving and practice. It doesn’t have anything to do with “pro ego”, it’s just how stuff works.

6 Likes

I don’t want to sound mean, but… not every character is designed for everyone.

Some characters are harder because some people enjoy harder chars (like me). You still have dozens of characters who fit better in your skill if you can’t/you don’t want to spend time learning the char

1 Like