Why Is She Unpopular?

Good on you. I am looking forwards to SL mode with Kim. That mode is like the Olympics where participating and having fun means more than winning.

1 Like

Im so excited to test out my Kim on Gargos!

1 Like

Kim Wu

1 Like

Lol. :slight_smile:

But yeah.

Kim Wu

1 Like

[quote=“CrazyLCD, post:38, topic:12665, full:true”]I can promise you though that if Kim was considered “good” then there would be a whole lot more people player her because people like winning, and sometimes winning comes easier to certain characters than others.
[/quote]

I hate reading this because it’s so common and just not true. I’m not exactly drowning in fulgore mirrors, here! A character being strong doesn’t always mean a ton of people are going to play them; most people prioritize ease of use.

On topic, I think the reason that kim is unpopular is due to a perceived imbalance between the learning and work she takes vs the craziness of her moveset. There are characters that take a similar amount of learning and work to succeed with, but once you’ve figured them out they’re filling the screen with crap, or flying across the stage, or smacking you with unreactable mixups whenever you block them. Maybe even all 3 at once! Kim, meanwhile, takes a lot of work and at the end of the day plays a fairly normal whiff punish/counter based ground game. A good ground game, mind you, but a very normal one. The wackiest thing she can do is dragon cancel. Plus, those other characters all have goofy ■■■■ they can do even if you’re bad, so that’s another point against her. Her season 1 “footsie character” counterparts, wulf and orchid, are both considerably more wild than her.

I don’t think this is really a problem though, because there are people that prefer to play a more “normal” character, and season 3 doesn’t have a lot of that. She might be too weak–I don’t think so, but I could be wrong–but I definitely don’t think that’s the reason she’s not played that much.

1 Like

Oh and she also has the worst shadow counter in the game.

1 Like

That’s ok though. So does Kan-Ra.

She could use ARIA’s SC.

I understand where you are coming from but my statement is more towards the competitive audience who travel to majors. We’ve seen plenty of top players lately switching characters because they feel those are the “good” characters and any amount of time spent with any character is good.

1 Like

I’d appreciate if you guys would keep the debating to a minimum.

I would like to hear more about your personal reason or speculations on the matter. Everyone’s opinion matters in this discussion, and I think it’s working out so far.

Why is she unpopular? I have a number of reasons i can think of

She’s not visible. By that, i mean in the sense she sees no time in tournaments or promotion. And in the age where we have weekly tournaments along with recently completed world championships, and there is no showing by Kim Wu, that’s a issue. Promotion, however, is something else different. Now, i know marketing probably played a role in it, but General RAAM got like two straight weeks on the free character rotation, or am i remembering it wrong? Also, hasn’t Rash gotten two rounds as a free character? Maybe 2 weeks before the season ends and Kim Wu got her turn.

She’s ‘work’ to play as. As stated, balance can factor into this arguement. And yes, i agree, her parry does seem wonky to me. But i’m a nobody though and this is why it matters in my eyes only. I’ve watched streams about Kim Wu balance changes and just moveset overview from IG. If that parry is supposed to cause hard knockdown, gain a dragon, build meter from a jumping attack, i expect that every time. If i’m supposed to be reset to neutral after a grounded attack, i expect that evert time. Regardless of hitboxes or hurtboxes, or things of that nature to a noboby like me, if that does not not happen everytime, i am confused and that’s putting it mildly. Aside from her parry, i wont touch her moveset. As stated and ‘generally’ agreed on, it’s not easy playing this character to win.

She’s labeled unpopular by the community. Say someone just glances at this forum for the first time and just only browses the topic names. They’d see this one, something like matchup help, and something like need help, getting bodied. That, and all the hemming and hawing about her face, ethnicity, etc are like a extremely strong and very visible repellant to either someone new to the game or just someone looking for a new character to learn about.

She’s a teenager. Point blank. You could stretch that to a teenage martial artist. Out of all the other women in the cast of Killer Instinct there is a autonomous AI split between 3 bodies, a ‘spirit of venegeance’ style ghost/zombie, a spider assassin, technically, a cybernetically enhanced dinosaur, a silver blooded vampire, an Amazonian monster hunter and a rogue special agent. Now, just off of first glance, without knowing any of these character’s backstory or even looks, she is weak in this regard. Boring, almost. I have to believe that taking up a character in a game is sometimes about being something more or something different than what you are. Why in the world would i pick something that reminds me of me?

She wields a nunchaku. Barring Maxi from Soul Calibur, Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon or the ninja turtle Michelangelo, can you immediately come up with a famous practitioner using that weapon? I have difficulty. But it’s not really ‘unique’. Now, if you read the backstory to it, then you’d know that there IS some nice uniqueness to it now. But off first glance? No.

Her lore seems confuddled so far. And this is more of a personal gripe, to be honest. In the original games, she was a descendant to warriors that banished Eyedol and Gargos. In the new game and lore, that is sort of the gist of where her story is going. It’s still evolving in the novella. But as of right now, her character doesn’t fill me with confidence she’s to become a ‘demon ■■■-kicker’ as she proclaims. Now, this is a gripe from something that’s a work in progress so take that for a grain of salt.

And i do all this harping on this character but it’s the only one i’ve used in Killer Instinct. My reason for it is because even knowing all the things above, and then some, she’s a challenge to achieve greatness with. And i’m in it for the challenge.

2 Likes

I havent played her much, but I do know I dont like her basic CAM ender has her jumping back at the end and leaves her opponent standing, its annoying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Her shadowcounter doesnt work right, her range makes her a bit more difficult to use character, her parry is a difficult move to master and for some reason the dragons system isnt really clicking for me.

And (but this gripe counts for more characters) her color immine pink jacket :unamused:

That said, she is still fun to use, different from a lot of characters and I love the way how hard she hit and her nunchucks annimations. Also, her pink power ranger outfit :grin:

Maybe It’s the retro accessories and the lack of sensible customization with default accessories.

Secondly, it could be that day one FP ender I spoke of.

I honestly think the ideas that she takes work to become successful are true, but it’s rewarding to have a lot of mixup and dragon cannon potential- some have grasped the cancel aesthetic and have a great fighter in Kim.

Some shadows I encounter have insane mix ups, a couple fierce juggles I have yet to master, and some awesome 30+ hit combos- although watch out with the firecracker ender- may end up being a 28-hit 18% combo

I hope so much that ALL characters obtain yet another costume or mix and match opportunities between retro and default accessories or maybe just someone decides to allow color choices on current accessories. Maybe? Maybe not -

All in all I’m very glad Kim is in- kinda like using the unpopular character, a lot are surprised by her finesse

I’m just wtf on her retro accessories- can’t believe there was such missed opportunity

Yep I’m right there beside you ostrich. I agree with her needing work footsies is something tons of people underestimate, in terms of difficulty, I think.

1 Like

Oh my
 a char with a counter move set that do not work properly is sad. I was looking for someone in KI cast to fill the counter playstyle that i like as much as being a grappler, thought it would be Kim, but seems it’s not. Hisako counters are fine, but she lacks the style. Any other options? Someone like geese or kasumi todo around? :grin:

Why does everyone keep saying her counter is horrible?

Because the hitbox from her parry isn’t active long, and it can whiff, leaving Kim at a disadvantage.

1 Like

It can absorb projectiles for dragons but it’s pretty easy to overwhelm her with how her counter functions. Even when she counters it just staggers them if they are pretty close to her and she’s neutral. She does a huge read off a counter that can be whiffed all she gets is a dragon counter and that’s it kinda maybe throw opponent’s tempo off. She can use it to anti-air but they can throw her off with early/late aerial normals. The payoff for hitting a counter that has a lot of holes in it is not very good overall.

Kim Wu can only of do her crazy stuff (relative to her, compared to others it’s tame)with her dragons but her ways of acquiring dragon’s are unstable or undesirable since they are either hard to do/situational or put her in awkward situations. Her counter is one example and her other is her fire cracker ender that does little damage, does not scale off ender levels let alone the fact that mid screen it spaces you really far apart at neutral giving up your hard fought spacing and neutral. In the corner it just spaces her far enough that she can only peg you with normals that hit mid but that’s honestly not a better situational because you gave up oki and spacing to be put in a neutral situation in the corner which is better then mid screen but not by much since if her opponents know Kim Wu in that scenario after her fire cracker ender in the corner she has no threatening lows at the range, her fastest move is her 5 frame standing mp and her only way to throw is do dash/dragon dash then throw.

exactly there is the problem. when others get nerfs and lose skills she get buff with flip out and more! it give a big unbalancing feeling when u fight her as any of the s1 or even s2 character. the matchups was almost difficult without nerfs in s2 and now in s3 thats just " enjoy little girl" cause they are all nerfed but not you. :disappointed_relieved: i main self hisako too as 5st character and i see it clearly shes OP( all hes hits are too quick HP,HK MP,MK too in manual u can’t even see whats happenned if u dont guess. and she got alot of staggers who also are so quick AF.

Her redesign wasn’t that interesting, TBH
 and her super radical personality is kinda bleh. They could’ve done so much more with her.

Heck, even some fanarts floating in the forum before her release looked way better
 she had a more traditional chinese look and stuff, looked more mystical.

2 Likes