Why Is She Unpopular?

I’d also argue the target combos and overhead help her pressure in ways Orchid doesn’t have.

Doesn’t mean better or worse, just different.

I like Kim’s face too. And I play the character too, I just haven’t been on much lately.

Kim is hard to win with and hard to grasp as a character. Combined with her lack of flashiness I think people overlook her. Plus she has a reputation for being low tier (which I think is overblown). That’s why people don’t play as her.

I do think Kim could use some tweaks, but I won’t detail them here.

Hisako’s counters got nerfed in a huge way, they removed wrath refill in the air, and she lost frame advantage on her air-ORZ’s. Hisako was “berfed” just like everyone else. She’s still very strong mind you - just want you to be accurate on your critiques/complaints.

With regards to your question @SonicDolphin117, I think it’s more just that Kim takes a bit of work, combined with the fact that she’s fairly “normal” when compared to the rest of the KI cast. S3 brought a Halo protagonist, a Gears antagonist, two bosses, a crazy psychedelic toad, an air-dashing vampire, and Conan the Barbarian. Compared to the rest of S3, “girl with nunchuks” is downright tame.

Kim also has one of the lower skill floors in KI I think. If you aren’t good with her, you will get bodied, repeatedly, and look pretty terrible while doing it. She has all the tools she needs to compete I think, but those aren’t tools that are immediately obvious unless you really understand fighters. She takes actual skill to get to her cool parts, and I think that turns a lot of players off. If I don’t know what I’m doing with Riptor, I can just do flame stuff and tail flips. I can dash through people with Wulf, toss out counters with Hisako, shoot my gun with Arbiter, or play “haha I’m plus” with Jago. I’ll probably lose, but I’ll get to do cool stuff in the meantime. If I’m a complete noob with Kim, what am I going to spam until I better understand the character? Nothing, because none of her moves are really “spammable”, and tossing them out willy-nilly is going to get me killed repeatedly. Which most people don’t find particularly fun.

There’s nothing wrong with Kim’s AA. It has different timing, but covers a lot of space and comes out decently quickly, and Kim gets a ton off of it.

And there were other Kim players at EVO @CrazyLCD - I don’t think they necessarily did well, but I ran into a few of them in casuals.

My 7 year old daughter explained it pretty clearly to me when I asked her about not choosing Kim at all.
She doesn’t like Jago’s muscular body and eyes, doesn’t like Orchid’s breasts almost coming out, says Hisako makes her feel uncomfortable and doesn’t like to play Kim because she isn’t cute at all. She almost exclusively plays Maya because Maya looks “cool”.

Personally I don’t pick up Kim because of alleged weaknesses in her game. As for her face, I like the realistic look but think it could’ve been better so it would appeal to more ppl. My kid doesn’t play Kim because she’s not cute enough, so much I do understand.

How is she not cute tho? I don’t get it. Has she ever met Korean people in real life?

I think the artwork and lighting at times make Kim look older or different. But I am just guessing here. (And, yes my kid is half Japanese herself and has Korean and Chinese friends at her school)

Teenagers are the worst kind of human. That’s math, can’t argue with that.

2 Likes

You could almost say they’re monsters. That’s probably why she fits into KI so well. :wink:

2 Likes

True. Kim’s the real monster though. And what do we do with monsters? We get rid of them.

1 Like

For me, it’s very simple:

I don’t like her looks
I don’t like her gameplay
I hate her stage (so green with weird lightning. Also, why an alley? Most generic location ever)

I’ve not played her much basically because I don’t find her interesting as a character. The design is fairly dull and her voice grates on me. I’m trying to get everyone to lv50 though so maybe when it’s her turn I’ll find something about her that I enjoy.

My issue with Kim design wise is her face. I’ve met a lot of korean girls and it might just be me, but Kim Wus face is too shrunken in. I’ve seen Korean boys with a sorta shrunk face (One of my good friends has it), but in regards to a korean girl, never seen one that looks like hers. Maybe Vegas just has too many pretty korean girls. Design wise I think she is fine, TJ is also mr average and people like him. Her face just doesn’t seem to be finished. Even her official art does not look very good.

Gameplay wise, she is extremely difficult. I play Hisako, but Hisako has so many areas that she excels at, that Kim wu doesn’t feel worth learning if Hisako can do better.

I do like her theme though, it’s great. Idk why her stage is an alley though. Does she hang out there or something?

1 Like

A college classroom would’ve been epic, IMO.

1 Like

For me, personally I’ve never liked the character. Not in KI 2 and not now.

I think she plays okay but for me I’ve got to like a character to invest time into learning and playing them, Kim’s design is boring. Why be a teenage ninja girl when I could be a two headed monster or a cyborg from the 21st century. I just don’t like her so I’m not willing to give her the time it takes.

1 Like

If I had to pick my low points for Kim, I feel like she doesn’t have a whole lot of stuff in her tool box I’m comfortable using. She’s got pretty dinky range apart from the Dragon Kick, and I have trouble getting into (or out of) particular situations.

Also, I don’t mind her face. I think it’s fine. What really irks me is the coat. Really wish it’d change colors with the outfit.

Though I’ve still had fun matches with her, and when I get things to land it’s pretty cool. If she were a bit quicker and had some more accessible tools with higher reward I reckon she’d be a lot more popular… Oh well.

So true.
Also, I had hoped her nunchuks had skins too.
But this has nothing to do with why I don’t use her in my case.

Kim Wu has a very tough learning curve infact I think she is the toughest character to use in the game which is why I don’t bother playing with her often, which is a shame because she was the character I was looking forward to playing the most.

P.S. I kind of wish she looked llike how she does in her concept art.

2 Likes

She could have looked so much better, but yeah her costume is boring as hell. Shame the colors don’t change properly, overall she’s just not an attractive package. Now this concept looks beautiful though, if only it translated better…

4 Likes

I think Faith chose the wrong game. Maybe EA and MS can agree with a trade in season 4: Faith for Kim and Kan + $5k.

I’m out.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: u made my days with these one lomfao hahahahahahhahaha i like it bro im dead ahhahha @a psychedelic toad :joy:

but please recognise shes nope been nerfed that bad as most or the cast she have all her skills meanwhile maya lost a big part of her skills and orchid too with the breakable air throw it could be good if we could break hisako influence when she reset in a combo so she take the risk to be breaked as everyone . :neutral_face: