Why Is She Unpopular?

No, because…it’s not a hisako counter. The counter hitbox is pretty big itself.

1 Like

Well it’s still a pretty garbage parry then. There is no point in parrying a lot of attacks.

Parries are worth it for the dragon alone.

Spacing, gives her free dragons.

This is counter intuitive the to purpose of the Parry, it’s suppose to reward good reactions from a distance. Characters like Tusk, Hisako, Eyedol etc who have long ranged normals and can footsies from mid/far screen are suppose to be weak to parry but even if she parrys shes unsafe because the explosion doesn’t hit them.

1 Like

That’s kinda the point. Lots of characters can do this. Her parry is a close range tool.

They could change it so that it functions like a hisako counter but in exchange you get no dragons nor countering projectiles.

An inconsistent parry isn’t a useful ability. If a parry can knock down Eyedol’s jumping HP the first time, it should knock it down the second time, the third time, and so on. I shouldn’t be able to parry successfully and have less recovery than my opponent doing Jump in HPs.

If I was a Kim Wu player I would never use that move.

1 Like

It’s spacing dependent. Just like alot of moves.

A parry is a giant risk in itself, essentially a 50/50 in most situations; sure you can react to a normal here or there but even if you’re slightly wrong on the timing you screwed especially on jump ins. I’d rather just AA with C.HP then take a giant risk on a parry which is easily baited and for what a dragon that make or may not be useful in the future?

For example a lot of people were wondering why I didn’t parry the Cyber Dash Nicky use to win the game at Combo Breaker against me and the answer is simple. Cyber Dash can be held down like a charge so the timing will always be inconsistent, not only this but me blocking the dash leaves me at advantage and him negative, if I had parried it that leaves him neutral allowing him to basically do whatever he wanted at that point.

1 Like

But her AA sucks too lol.

Either give her a good AA or a good parry. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

oh yeah thats true but after nerfing all the s1 cast now shes enjoying the game that witch! cause nothing bad changes t her only buff thats so annoying :fearful:

Once again, lemme remind everyone that this is a thread about why more people aren’t playing her.

If you think the answer is balance related, then fine, but that’s not the whole topic.

Arriving in the game weaker than intended never helps, but as is she needs to be played psychically to win. Those parries are gonna whiff more often than not since the window is small. The dragon cancel gimmick just comes off as underwhelming and not as ‘DANGEROUS’ as advertised in the hands of most players.

I also think it’s a valid point that she’s getting way overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Lots of more appealing, easier to use, powerful effective characters to spend time with in the game ahead of her.

You would have hated Juri’s counter in SFxT and SF4.

Anyway for the cyber dash. That’s a read. everyone knows nicki loves spamming DP’s after blocked cyber dashes. So that’s all reads there.

A second non-gameplay reason has got to be that she is unattractive to some. Her face is a missed opportunity and perhaps too much of “a character doesn’t have to be pretty and cute to be popular”.

I really don’t understand this.

She looks like a pretty Korean chick to me. I really don’t know what you guys want.

4 Likes

Robots and assassins.

1 Like

So I can contribute to the thread, here is my long winded post as to why I believe people aren’t playing her; prefacing this by acknowledging I’m probably the most “known” Kim player with some kind of results.

I would describe Kim as a “Work” character meaning she isn’t someone you can just pick up on day 1 and just start winning with her. She requires an enormous amount of effort to win with in my opinion while also having to do all the right things in every little situation making few or no mistakes without getting destroyed for it.

I’ve gone on record of saying many times that I don’t think Kim is a very well designed character especially for the game that Killer Instinct currently is in Season3 which is mostly about vortex, setups and just overall craziness. She is fundamentally flawed from the ground up. She is the only character in the game that gets punished for doing what she is suppose to do. Iron Galaxy made it pretty clear they had no intention of ever making clone characters and wanted unique and fun characters which I don’t think they have accomplished with Kim. @Hotsumari make a great point about her being overshadowed by the rest of the cast, there is really nothing that sets herself apart from the rest of the cast that play the same role she does which is a grounded footsie heavy character that is great at whiff punishing. There two other characters can think of that fulfill her role but simply “better” than she does; those being Orchid and Jago.

Orchid is better than Kim Wu in every single aspect so why would there any incentive to play Kim over her if that play style is what you enjoy?

• Better walk speed
  • Better normals
  • Taller
  • Real Reversal
  • Has a vortex
  • Has dash cancels
  • Same Dash speed
  • Working Shadow Counter

What does Kim bring to the table, perhaps dmg? Orchid’s damage is pretty much on par with Kim’s and can build ender levels more easily. To be fair though Orchid suffered from the same problem Kim did in Season 1 where she was trying to play Street Fighter and everyone else was playing Marvel, but once she got the grenade she was a real contender to the “pressure/gimmick” play styles that KI has become accustomed to. Think about it this way, if they took away the dragon mechanic (which really isn’t anything special to begin with) what does that leave her with? Being able to dragon kick full screen, that is not a deal breaker honestly.

At the end of the day though you are always just going to have people that play a character they like no matter if they are “good” or “bad”. I can promise you though that if Kim was considered “good” then there would be a whole lot more people player her because people like winning, and sometimes winning comes easier to certain characters than others. EVO2016 just passed and out of 560+ players there was only one person playing the character at the tournament which is the author of this thread, that is pretty sad.

Some may find this funny but in all seriousness appearance and cosmetics are kind of big deal to a lot of people in determining if they play a character or not and Kim Wu is pretty ■■■■ ugly. I’ve actually had a few people tell me this in person that they don’t like Kim because she looks and I quote “bad”.

7 Likes

I actually like how Kim’s face looks, but that’s just personal opinion. I know there’s a lot of controversy around it.

3 Likes

Well orchid only has one dash cancel off of only one move.