Why aren't the new composers interacting with us?

Oh, just found this thread… Shedding some light on your otherwise “clairvoyant” assumptions, the reasons why you don’t or hadn’t seen much in the way of teases around these parts is that we worked on a schedule of releases, and out of respect, the two composers wanted to make sure anything they mentioned about KI was vetted through us first. Nothing sinister, as seems to be the thought around here.

10 Likes

As interesting as their work is for KI S3, I think (currently at least) that I’m going to side with the OP on this one. I don’t mean to be overly nostalgic, but Mick’s passion for the game and his putting out of the official versions of themes was a good way to allow those of us who didn’t have the game to enjoy the music (in an official capacity) and those of us who played the game to hear it outside of it. Atlas and Celldweller, thus far, haven’t done that (not in the same way), but I’d like to see that change.

As for fan contributions, I’m not saying it’s not going to happen, I just doubt it will due to the attitude they put forward - they are colaborative artists, but from the videos, maybe only with each other for the majority of the time.

As a side note, I have an observation to make but I’ll withhold full judgement on it until I get to play around with S3 for myself. It’s relatively straightforward: I believe that the bass guitars need to be more prominent. The problem with a lot of the things we’ve heard so far is there’s not much low frequency going on, not that I can hear in the trailers etc. It’s all pretty settled in the mids/highs and the bass guitars aren’t really present in the mix at all (I had to turn Rash’s trailer theme up to even know there was a bass in the first place.)

That asside, I hope that there work continues to improve and that they interact with us as a community to a greater extent in the near future.

I don’t believe it’s only that long.
all we’ve seen for now has been the trailer mix, and I’m pretty sure that is all it is… they can’t very well make 10min of music in a 1,5 min trailer :slight_smile:

And thanks @rukizzel for the explanation :wink:
Thought it was something like that, and even it it wasn’t I wouldn’t be worried, since I was pretty sure it’s just because Mick spoiled us with all his teases.

But frankly I would rather have a “behind the scenes” kinda video like Celldweller and Atlas Plug has done, than Mick’s vines… likes both approaches though :slight_smile:

There’s just been so many questionable decisions made for S3 so far (Lighting instead of stages, letting Mick go, no ultimates) that a lot of us are getting a tad jaded

While everything you say is of course your own individual opinion based on limited information, this one is just flat out wrong. Mick had lots of prior commitments and didn’t want to put in a half-effort in regards to KI’s music due to juggling his own time. It was a mutual agreement he wasn’t going to be involved in S3.

We’ve said this before. This level of misinformation needs to be put to rest.

10 Likes

Well said Adam :slight_smile:

I know this has nothing to do with the actual reason why Atlas Plug and Celldweller aren’t interacting with us, but it kinda cracks me up that the question is asked in the title and so much of this thread is just straight negative stuff; questioning their passion, negging on what they’ve put out so far, pining for past composers, apprehension for season 3 etc.

Sorry, I hate to be judgmental. Ya’ll are absolutely entitled to your opinions, no doubt. But after going through the thread, it really kind of struck me.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen that, I’m sorry.

But the overall point remains. A lot of questionable decisions leads to a lot of negative reactions.

3 Likes

How much of the new music have we even heard, anyway?

We’ve heard most of Rash’s theme across various channels (and it sounds cool IMO because it fits Rash’s personality, but I like rock music so maybe I’m biased)
We’ve heard some of Arbiter’s theme in videos, but nothing isolated without game sound (and, again, it sounds awesome)
Have we even heard Kim’s theme on a stream that didn’t have a bunch of commentary/talking on top of it?
Maybe we’ve heard bits of Tusk’s theme in the videos that just got released a few days ago?

Seems to me way too early to judge the new composers’ work fairly, and what we have heard sounds pretty promising.

4 Likes

You’re playing a game called Killer Instinct and you’re surprised that the soundtrack is mostly rock? It’s a fighting game, not Dance Dance Revolution. I think the high percentage of rock/metal songs is justified

5 Likes

I know that. But I just want some more variety in the soundtrack. I’m okay with rock/metal though Just get’s a little boring sometimes :confused:

2 Likes

/\ This
/ | \
|
|

I would like to hear some of Kim wus theme. The others sound the exact same from the streams

And the reason is no conversation or promotion

I need a good successor to Hisako top tier theme

Okay, I’d initially said that I was going to withhold my opinion on the new composers’ work until I actually had the isolated tracks but I will say this though:

Based on what I’ve heard of S3’s music so far (which is pretty much the exact same as everyone else who has made some type of judgement) I’m getting wind of a serious epidemic of “rose-tint” going on in this thread.

IMO, the composition of what I’ve heard so far sounds almost identical to the way Mick composed! ( :confused: Or maybe I have an undiagnosed bleeding in my brain from all the headbanging I’d been doing to clips of the new tracks that’s causing me to hear better music than everyone else…)

1 Like

Oh my god are really people complaining about “too much rock”? Killer Instinct has always been about rock. Remove the drumbeat and the guitar off of the music and insert some other thing and we’ll have generic fighting games’ music. KI music is unique and it’s on top 3 best things about it.

Leave. The. Rock. Alone.

1 Like

Well… all musical genres are represented in KI, while the title theme, Cinder and Gargos are the flagships of the franchise, and yes they are metal.

For me KI was always eclectic musically, I would say the title theme is metal, but KI is as electronic (Fulgore, Orchid, Glacius, The way u move…) and orchestral (sabrewulf KI1, Tusk KI2, sabrewulf KI2) as it is other things.

If any, KI is a showcase of Beanland’s and Norgate ability to perform well with all styles.

I think Sabrewulf, Hisako, and Glacius have the best themes for their stages. I would like to hear more music similar to theirs. ARIA’s is really cool too, but thats because its like a remix of the KI theme lol

1 Like

Hisako theme is baaaaadaaaaazzzzz

2 Likes

I think more people need to cut Celldweller and Atlus Plug some slack. They sound so fresh. The themes they made fit the characters so well. They don’t have the same format as Mick Gordon, and I think that’s the best for the game at this point.

1 Like

The original game had plenty of themes without guitars or any rock in them. Glacius, Fullgore’s, Thunders, Orchids, and even Jago’s theme were all non rock and had no guitars in them. Heck Tusk’s theme was mostly horns.

Wonder if they will make any themes this season without any guitars. I get it that KI has a huge rock influence but there are plenty of themes that don’t have any guitars that sound just as good. I love Orchids, Maya’s, Glacius, and TJ’s themes. What they have released so far seems less diverse in music. I was hoping Kim Wu’s theme would be more synth based and sounded more like her teaser but it turned into another rock song. Her original doesn’t have any guitars but new KI seems to really want to inject rock in.

1 Like