Why are People hating on Shadow Orchid!?

I get that you don’t like the Shadow Orchid idea and that’s 100% fine. I’d never presume to tell you what to think. But, ya know, some people actually DO like this character idea. Maybe you could respect that too, even if only a tiny bit?

I don’t like the Shark TJ idea, I’ve tried to understand it, but I fail to see the appeal. Still, you don’t see me calling him “Shart TJ” or LOLing about something I haven’t even seen yet. I’m also not flinging pejoratives at the idea like it’s going out of style simply because I don’t like it. Any chance you could show others that same common, base level courtesy?

The fact of the matter is that while calling her Shadow Orchid in the poll seems to indicate that’s her name and possibly what she’ll look like, we still only have our own preconceived notions to go off of and until we see something, that’ll never be 100% accurate.

So yes, she could be Orchid with Shago colored skin and gurgles, or she can also be a remix. She could be Roxy or Kara or she could still be a shadow, yet look entirely different or she could be entirely different than what we’re guessing at here, even if she shares some moves and animations from other characters.

I’ll grant you that those latter possibilities might be less or even far less likely than what we think she’ll end up looking like (assuming she actually happens at all), but they’re still possibilities none the less.

But if none of those appeal to you, that’s your taste and that’s cool. I’m not asking you to like anything you don’t like or hide your opinion and I’m not saying it because of hurt feelings or PC police reasons or anything else even remotely in that realm. I’m just saying that you can dislike something and be a little more chill about it, ya know?

I think part of it is a terminology issue. Some say remix, some say clone, and they see those terms as interchangeable regardless of how different the move set is because they’re not just looking at reused moves (regardless of how they behave) and animations (regardless of what they actually do), they’re also considering things that I’m guessing you find much less valuable to the conversation; the look standpoint and the lore standpoint.

To some, Jago and Shadow Jago are the same person. Shago just happens to be possessed by Omen, therefore, Shago is a “clone” of Jago. Ben Farris and Cinder, same deal.

Change Ben Farris’ name to Sargent Pants and give him his own story and all of a sudden, he’s not Cinder, regardless of whether the same body is used or some animations / moves are recycled; he’s still his own guy. Some might be more accepting of Sargent Pants because of this. Along that same logic line, Kilgore and Fulgore are not the same. Even though Kilgore has Fulgore’s body with alterations, I think more people are more accepting because he has his own name, identity, etc to go along with a largely unique move set.

However, some still see him as a clone because of the look aspect, to go along with some recycled animations. Obviously, everyone has their own (nitpicky) guidelines here, which is why making any type of argument, whether it be gameplay or otherwise, can be more difficult than it should be.

I’m guessing you probably don’t want to hear the lore argument since gameplay is king. I get that. But this is what I’ve been running in to when talking about Shadow Orchid and why a fully unique character that’s not a “version” of an existing character is preferable to some, even if that might not be the choice you guys have on the development side.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a big deal if they’re an alternate version of an existing character the way Shago is for Jago or the way Kilgore is to Fulgore, so long as they play well, look cool and have an interesting story.

Others want the latter version for lore reasons and others prefer monsters to humans and still others prefer fully unique characters with completely new looks, name, story, animations, moves, etc. That may not be the choice you have, but if given the choice, that’s what they want, regardless of how much new gameplay can be created with reused animations and moves.

TL/DR: Sorry, probably a lot more nuance in this than was needed. Some care about lore as much or more than gameplay in terms of what separates a character and makes them unique. Some care about both and see both as requirements.

2 Likes