Where would you like to see the story go in season 3?

No offense, but I completely disagree with everything you just said. You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, so I certainly don’t begrudge you for having it, but… I mean, what are you expecting from a KI story mode? I’m curious, if you wouldn’t mind going in to some specifics.

This game doesn’t have an MKX budget with hundreds of people working on it. So it’s not like they can put these huge video sequences together every time you beat an opponent.

Is that the measuring stick that you’re judging KI against? Because far bigger games with far bigger budgets don’t come close to measuring up to that standard, though come to think of it, that’s basically MKX’s story mode. A ladder. Beat someone, watch a video. Beat someone, watch a video. It’s kinda the way you have to do it in a fighting game, though I suppose they could throw a few surprises in there, like losses, interrupted matches, hidden fights, etc, though in the end it’s all a linear experience not far from the standard formula. How would you like for KI to differentiate itself, or would you?

I guess I’m just not sure what you’re expecting exactly. Given KI’d budget and usual time constraints, what would be an acceptable yet realistic story mode?

I like how they told the story in season 2. It felt kinda like Twisted Metal Black. Could there have been some more video? Perhaps, but would it have really made much of a difference? I tend to doubt it. I liked the voice over work and the sort of “animated comic” movement in many scenes.

As for the blog post character backgrounds, I do hope that they can incorporate them in to the actual game somehow, maybe like the dossiers from season one story mode? I really enjoy these. They’re fun, creative, diverse, intriguing and they’re definitely hyping me up for season 3.

Either way, sorry KI’s story is not living up to your expectations. I personally like the story they’re telling. It’s fun. It takes the lore seriously, it’s functional, it’s taking me someplace while expanding or unfolding several layers of depth that I didn’t expect, and most importantly, it’s a huge step up over the “what if” multiple endings of season one. But on a minimalist note, I think they do as much as they can and as well as they can within their time and budgetary constraints and I respect that.

I’m always hoping for improvement, so maybe we’ll see that for season 3 be to season 2 what season 2 was to season 1 in that regard, but I tend to doubt it. Not even sure how they’d accomplish that. What do you think? If story mode needs drastic improvement in your estimation, how would you drastically improve it?

1 Like

I would love to see KI blended with our world somehow.

This is why am saying they postpone any story content until later when they do have the budget allocated specifically for that. Both seasons really don’t push the story anywhere. Nothing significant has happened to any character besides hints at Gargos which Adam hints that we won’t see come back. As it is it looks like they are just making stand alone stories that don’t push the story anywhere too far. This may have to do with the model KI has right now and people not being able to experience the entire story without buying everything. That’s another gripe with the story, it’s fragmented from players. Everyone can’t experience the entire story further making it useless.

Like I said earlier, even people on this forum who are hardcore KI fans often post questions on things answered in the seasons end scenes. The story, as it is, just leaves no memorable impact and it may be my opinion but when story related question that are obviously answered in those ending slide shows come up by other people on this forum it kind of carries weight that the story needs to be significantly be revamped.

Getting all of that off my chest their is no chance they will listen to any of this and they will release another season story probably exactly the same as Season 2. I know KI is really bootstrapped and stretching its budget but I’d rather get quality than quantity.

I don’t think quoting the fulgore thread should be relavant to this discussion because he is a season one character that didn’t get any story progression in season 2 which I hope will change.his story is intentionally vague Especially since fulgore future and his sentience directly impact thunder final goal with eagle.

Yeah but what makes you think they’ll ever have that kind of budget? I mean, we’re just speculating on the budget (without much basis really), but for an online game going in to its third season… It’s not like they’ll suddenly have an NRS level budget for the story.

He did? I don’t recall seeing Adam hint at that at all. If anything, all I’ve read is that Gargos will be a big part of season 3. Possibly the main villain.

But… You can buy the whole thing. It’s only fragmented if you choose to buy a fragment on of the game. Season one is free right now and season two is half off. Really, there aren’t a whole lot of barriers to getting the whole story.

That’s your opinion, and like I said before, you’re absolutely entitled to it, and please don’t take my responses as hostile or anything along those lines. We’re just having a conversation here. I’m just wondering, how would you revamp the story? If you want more memorable moments, okay, I get that, but that’s not a revamp at all. You’re just asking for better storytelling.

What would actually revamp the story in your mind, have it make sense in terms of the already established continuity (mediocre as you think that is, it still needs to make sense), yet drastically improve upon what they’ve already done in a way that would satisfy you?

Still don’t really understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate? Quality over quantity? Is there too much storytelling? Too much of something else? Would you rather the story be small but succinct?

I’m just wondering, knowing full well that KI’s not going to get an NRS level of budget for any story they tell, how a season three story mode that satisfies you would actually look. I get that you don’t like how it’s currently constructed, and again, no judgment here for your opinion. I’d just like to know what the better alternative would be in your mind.

Since season three has a few quest stars, I’m wondering if we are getting a season 2 style storymode. Might be that we are getting a storymode such as mortal kombat, where there is only one story, telling about the invasion of Gargos, where we switch between characters new and old.
It just wont be told, in the same big budget way as mortal kombat, but more in the slidibg comic style of season 2.

That said, I have been impressed with the backstories on this site (we should be able to easily look them up in the game though), aswell as the unification of the story with all the characters, especially the new ones, such as Aganos and Kan-ra and their link to spinal, etc…

1 Like

I think that’d be a phenomenal idea. This would be a great way to include all of the characters from all seasons without having to stick with one character the whole time and remember who’s plotline criss-crosses with who because the whole canon story is a direct play-through and not smaller pieces gleaned through separate, but complete character individually focused sessions (if that makes any sense).

Don’t get me wrong, I love how characters are connected to one another in KI’s story, but like @CRIS178 said, it can be hard to remember the smaller details or even some of the larger ones without having to go back and watch the scenes.

I think that’s mainly a byproduct of the fact that they’re trying to have a richer, deeper story experience where characters have a past and connections to characters not on the roster and connections to other characters on the roster while still trying to pull an overall narrative and smaller, encased narratives between specific characters through to conclusion, or rather, to the next season.

That’s not an easy thing to do. It’s also not easy to tell a full story knowing full well you have to pick up all of those threads when the next group of characters come along and figure out how they’ll fit in to everything and how much backstory they’ll need and connections to previously established characters and what not.

When I look at it that way, I can really appreciate the task IG’ and MS have had in front of them when it comes to telling a story in this game, which makes me all the more glad that they’re able to do it in a way that I enjoy.

But mayve @Draigh really has a point here as far as the structure of the story itself. Maybe it would be both easier on the developer telling the story and on the fans reading it if the story was fully contained in one spot, where you switch between characters as the narrative goes along and calls for it, instead of the current approach taken for season two. Maybe with so much information and so much backstory, which I absolutely love, maybe this is sort of the next evolution of the story? I’d like to see that.

Of course, I’d also like some sort of mode for beating the game and getting a character’s story ie something to help supplement the main story; info we didn’t get before. I really wanted them to do that for arcade mode in MK9 and MKX. Give me some real information on what Sub Zero’s doing or what he’s been up to, or both. Don’t give me some BS, non-canon “he’s flying an ice dragon!” nonsense that literally feels as though it’s there just to fill space.

Is it too much to ask that we both a main story mode with the moving comic style art of season 2 and a cohesive narrative that switches between all of the season 3 cast (minus guests) plus some other characters in season one and season two as needed, while also getting an arcade type of mode that supplements the story with more information? Maybe those awesome character backgrounds they’re doing could be presented before the first arcade match and a story supplement ending with a still picture could be used for the ending?

I’m sure I’m being too greedy here, but I think that’d be the best of both worlds. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Does anyone know the reason why this game doesn’t get allocated a bigger budget?

Its because k.i is a niche game in a niche genre that was missing from the market for 15+ years and was launched on a console that lost the console race…(at least at launch)

Lets just hope that with season 1 free with gold and season 2 really cheap, season three will sell really well. At the very least I would like it to get out of that niche a little bit.
We might even get a season 4 out of it, or at least smaller dlc pack with characters. And continuing support, which Iron Galaxy has done well so far already.
I would hate to see season 3 be the end of this itteration.
The thing I really like about this model, is that we keep getting a bigger game without repackaging (like older SF games). Starting over again with a new game for xbox one would also mean a long wait and starting again with a smaller roster, less modes etc…

Certain games, like fighting games, could really benefit from one game being grown during a console lifecycle. Imagine a smash brother roster being expended like that…

Simple…Halo, Tomb raider and Gears of war brings in the big bucks for the Xbox…Microsoft stick to the formula which is their safe option