What would you like from the next Killer Instinct game?

I’d argue that KI 2013 laid a fantastic foundation for a potentially bright future in the franchise. Speaking of that future, I’d be curious to know what you all would want in a new KI game. How would you evolve the game based on what’s already been done here and what new directions would you take the gameplay, characters, game modes or anything else?

I put a series of questions below in those categories just to jumpstart people’s brains if they need it, but by all means feel free to just post anything specific that you can think of that you’d want out of a sequel / new KI game.

GAMEPLAY

Any new mechanics?
Any current mechanics you’d remove?
Any ways you’d change the combo system?
How close to the current game would you like the next one to feel?
Is there anything you’d like to see them bring back from the old games?
How complex should the characters’ movesets be?
Would you change how Instinct works in any way, or shadow moves?

CHARACTERS
Which would you want them to bring back?
Who would you specifically want to leave behind?
How would you change / update character’s movesets?
Any new character types you’d like to see?
Any new guests you’d like to see?
Individual character meters… More, less, none?
Any new or returning finishers you’d like to see?
Who should be the final boss?

MODES
How would you like to see the next game tell the story?
What kind of modes would you like to see?
How would you change or evolve existing modes that you’d want to bring in to the next game?
What new modes from other games or simply new ideas in general should they try to bring in?

GENERAL
Would you like to see a seasonal schedule again or a full retail release?
Would you change the grind for leveling at all?
What lessons from this game would you like to see applied to the next game?
Are there any aspects of this game that should be left behind or brought forward you’d like to talk about?
What would make you most exited for a sequel?
Do you want to see IG develop the next game?
How would you like the UI to look? Colors, background activity, fonts, etc?
What should be customizable?
What’s a good number of characters in total for the roster, including DLC?
What’s a good number of stages and should they tie those to characters like they have in the past?
Any new stage themes you’d like to see?
What kind of DLC should they try to have and how much of it do you think is reasonable?
What really worked for you in this game and what didn’t?

1 Like

I would like to see Jago get a love interest. Perhaps a psychic character like Psylocke & Rose.

Also…

• An elderly man/woman
  • An ape since Riptor is reminded of Talon from Primal Rage.
  • An aquatic warrior
  • A bird warrior
  • A contortionist
2 Likes

I would like to see a Story mode and some type of progression system like with Injustice 2. Also some more interesting stages with better music. I am huge on stage design and only really cared for a few of them in Killer Instinct.

2 Likes

Orchid, but wielding tonfas this time. :heart:

2 Likes

Kim Wu please. Thank you.

1 Like

More of my favorite characters of course! More Sabrewulf! More Riptor! More Tusk! More Fulgore! More Hisako! More Sadira! More Mira! Bring em back front and center!

Of course, more Mick Gordon would certainly me a nice touch. Atlus Plug and Celldweller more than welcome back too!

Let’s see…

Sadira… Sadira… Sadira… Sadira in red… Sadira in black… more Sadira…

No Rash…

I don’t want a ton of game play changes, as I don’t want to relearn every character. Possibly just further refinement.

In Ranked, I would like the block feature to return, but it only lasts like an hour or so. Reason being, I hate fighting the same 20 Star KIgod 6 or 7 times in a row. In Exhibition, that doesn’t matter, but in Ranked in can simply be deflating. On the flip side, I don’t want to destroy the same Silver player 6 times in a row.

2 Likes

Yeah Sadira needs more purpose!

Would love to see more to Sadira. She is such a cool character. Probably my favourite of all the new characters introduced, though I can’t play her for sh*t! XD

1 Like

Be nice to update story mode and make it a movie.

In addition to what I said earlier, I would like to see Rank go back to the style that was in S1 with 40 Ranks, and each character is Ranked separately. So that you don’t have to keep requalifying, to rank up a specific character.

More than anything I’d want better lobbies with modern features that can host multiple matches at once. A Team Battle mode would be great, too.

I don’t want any drastic to changes to most of the existing characters, and I don’t think any of the game mechanics need any massive overhauls either. Maybe I’d like to see a new meter that rewards the offensive player more, as a potential counterbalance to Instinct, but that’s about it.

I’m not opposed to more story, but I’d rather see something new and replayable like Shadow Lords instead of an NRS-style cinematic story mode. (Also more monetizing with costumes and colors, please.)

Any new mechanics?

I like KI 1 and 2 original ideas of how the combos are done. New one came up with this. Maybe taking a deeper look on how to approach that in another KI and add another new idea to the system.

COMBO Making and BREAKING: I like the idea of counterbreaking to avoid how easy is to break in this game but…There’s something wrong about it. First it’s inconsistent, online and offline. It has meaning when the players are really playing the same game. However, most aren’t. I do like the idea of having combo breaking but it could have adjustments.

Mechanics: It’s hard to know when you can take your turn back if you don’t look at frame data. It wouldn’t be bad ppl would be encouraged to not just throw stuff with ease and to just get away with it.
Shadow counters are a cool idea, nothing against them.

Flip outs. Not fan of them considering the game offense is huge alone. Grapplers should not have them as easy.
Crush counters (staggers). I kind of like them. But why a character like Tusk has more than the other characters? standarize this.

They could explore new ways for the meters (even having the possibility to add different properties you can choose, like two modes and you select the one you feel more comfortable depending the MU).
For instance, a meter or mechanic that would give Wulf a zone ability or a rushdown one that would help him to x mixup.

But it shouldn’t be that different from the rest. In this game some characters are normal and other are way too different and even have extra bars for their mechanics. It’s strange

More chains and autodoubles with the possibility to add an extra manual hit before the linker. Similar to KI2.
But this also has to do to the way to break combos. Some baits moves maybe? (a la KI2 style?)

I like the base this new game gave regarding footsies (in some cases). But the feeling I’m playing characters that “belong” to different games annoys me. The game shouldn’t feel like each match belongs to another game.

If I would take the game now I might find it to be a mess in many aspects to newcomers. navigating the move list doesn’t feel that intuitive. There might be more complex characters but not by a huge difference. The simplier the better, for a 6 button fighting game of course.

Some characters are like a swiss knife. But I can’t tell at which point that is bad. It can be cool but it could be wrong too. There needs to be a coherence in the overall game and the way to play it.

Less instinct gain for the characters that have huge advantage with it? Just something I’m thinking about if they are going to do it the same way. Or rework that comeback mechanic in another way. It’s something you can experiment and play with. Old games didn’t have them and they were fine with it. It’s something to explore to come up with nice ideas because all fighters today have them and I don’t see that changing.

I kind of like how shadow works. They are easy to do and not that hard to deal with. They also have different properties. But please change the effect…
I get shadows are breakable while the old ones were not. They could not be breakable again if the combo system changes so it’s not that dependable of shadows.

CHARACTERS

• The classic ones

As a big fan of the old games

• pure grapplers, zoners and jugglers. Not KI based (KI never had that). BUT…This also has to do with the stage design. Zoners do great because Stages are wide. Grapplers would do even better if the stages were shorter. The stage affects how this game is played. Finding a middle ground could work. If the stages would be as huge as the old ones this game would have been a pain to play (that didn’t bother me in the old ones much though)

Whatever they think it makes sense. But try not to make it a swiss knife (again)

I think this game explored most of them and created cool things. But I’m just not a fan of every playstyle I got to see here, it changes every match way too much!

MK guests for sure. Not “comical” or guests that just won’t fit the style (I know ppl who felt Rash was so ridiculous they stopped playing because KI was no more to them. I don’t share their opinion on leaving KI, but I get that Rash feels off in his animations for the game, but he does feel great for his own game).

Just make good looking short cutscenes when you think it fits or add some dramatical effect in the end. There, where gameplay isn’t affected.

I’ll leave it to them. But I like monsters

MODES

Story mode, with cutsecenes that gives us a hint or explore on characters personalities and motives. But I’m ok with normal arcade mode and the ending.

How would you change or evolve existing modes that you’d want to bring in to the next game?

• Arcade and storymode, 2 vs 2 mode, challenges (whatever you think it could be fun). Tournament mode (AI too) Maybe with an improved shadow system with the tiers could be cool.
    Shadow survival was a really cool mode. Would like it to see it improved, finding a better way to train the shadow and of course, not crashing.

What new modes from other games or simply new ideas in general should they try to bring in?

SFV trials for each character.

GENERAL

Whatever makes the game better, as long as it doesn’t hurt it.

??

An easy Dojo, and advanced dojo. And trials for characters that cover the basics they can add.

Are there any aspects of this game that should be left behind or brought forward you’d like to talk about?
What would make you most exited for a sequel?

Something closer to the roots. Darker. Watch out for aestethics, don’t make it hyper flashy. Particles are nice but this one has too many effects to even see what’s happening. New GUI design. Easy to follow and get into the modes/action

Some colors. Maybe GUI colors too

What’s a good number of stages and should they tie those to characters like they have in the past?

I think the roster is ok. Would like more stages.

What kind of DLC should they try to have and how much of it do you think is reasonable?
A better designed retro stuff

Did work:
KI is back!!

Didn’t work:
Ppl. The game allows a lot of stuff that doesn’t make them really improve as players because they get away for free: Really easy confirms (not talking about CA, doesn’t bother me) , a lucky guessbreak, a character’s powerful instinct, a missed input because of negative edge can make you miss a match in milisecons.
The combo breaking/counterbreaking system favor some characters a lot over others.
Reset game: you drop the combo, it’s really easy to get a “non wanted” reset and even get away with it.
Isn’t KI a combo game? It should focus on that, not in resets. Make combos harder to perform and punish bad resets. Strong vortex game allowing huge damage isn’t that fun.

Overall, this is the only figthing game I cared about these last years (congratulations). I do think SF, INJ2 and DBZ look amazing in their own style, but I haven’t find myself enjoying them more than few casual matches.

2 Likes

All classic characters.

1 Player vs CPU.

Full ratail release (all on disc again, not SFV Arcade Edition fiasco)

Accessories, retros, and more accessories.

Gordon, Atlas Plug and Celldweller

New Characters:

• Yakuza
  • Replicant
  • Demon hunter
  • Zombie
  • A character with a fighter avatar.
  • One from the future.
  • Another stuck in the 80´s culture

GAMEPLAY

new mechanic?

Tag-Mode System

Nope

Nope

Decently Close but still stands out enough on it’s own.

Ultimates, and Humiliations, and retro stages.

Add new moves to their setting. But to compensate for new moves keep making them simple to do.

I’ll get back to you on that.

CHARACTERS

All the cast from KI-1 to KI-2. But the ones I wanna see return are Riptor, Sabrewulf, and Glacius.

Can’t really say, I have difficulty making that decision. hmmm. Probably gargos because of story reasons. Unless of course he survives the current game’s lore.

Give them enhanced versions of their moves but give the enhanced moves a distinctive color.

A Naga would be awesome.

No! if a game depend son guest characters after the years since release, people would say things like: “That game with X and Y character in it” If that happens, the game failed to stand on it’s own.

Keep it as it is for now.

Humiliations should come back, only now they can make it more creative. Not just dancing.

Assuming Gargos survives, it can be Idle, or Aria, or perhaps we can get a new final boss. Like a Lovecraft monster.

MODES

Cut scenes and Voice actors, but lets be realistic, if that does not happen i’ll be fine as long as they keep it entertaining.

Also let the characters each have a story mode to follow.

Story Coop Mode
Tag Team vs for local and Online

Customization.
Costume customization:Customize three different colors for the characters. Retro and Default.
Give more accessories and allow customization on the color.

GENERAL

Seasonal would work. If history repeats itself, they can use this to focus on character balance.

Somewhat, but not sure how yet.

Focus on Balancing gameplay (excluding characters is not the way)

Bring int he costumes form previous game but enhance them.

Give a call back to the old classic KI

Costume and Accessory Colors.
Example: give Riptor a color for her eyes, belly, cybernetics,

we had 29 characters in the past. Increasing the number should allow new characters.

Can’t say for sure. But yeah tying to the characters would be nice.

I’ll get back to you.

If a character gets left behind, they should be added as DLC. as well as more custom color slots.

There was hardly anything that didn’t work for me, but I don’t have an idea what didn’t yet.

1 Like

I’d like Kim Wu and ARIA to return, naturally.

If I was to remove some mechanics from the game, it would most likely be Flipouts and Recaptures. I like the Stagger mechanic though.

Triple A budget and Presentation.

More consistent and clean art direction.

Ditch the accessories and instead give us multiple high quality alternate/retro costumes to choose from.

Get. Mick. Gordon. Back.

Ditch the Shadow Lords BS and just have standard freaking arcade ladders.

Remove flip outs.

Don’t nerf the roster into obscurity.

And most of all have a more complete package at launch. It’s all good to keep the DLC model, it’s clearly the direction industry has moved to, but don’t launch till there’s a much more robust package to start with.

2 Likes

First of all i want the new KI releases in seasons like KI 2013. People are exited every year again for a new season like it should be.
I want an big arcarde ladder mode.
I want the Shadow survival mode back (very good training).
And all the favorite characters.
I honestly don’t know what characters NOT to include cause all of the characters are so good in their own thing and they are all so different and THAT is what makes KI 2013 so good.
I just hope that they keep the fighting system and all the beautiful characters who are so different intact and that microsoft gives the developers of KI a big budget. The developers of KI 2013 are so talented, i would be a big mistake letting KI being developed by another team.
Instead give them a big raise Microsoft and a bigger budget, this franchise deserves it.

a new KI evoMindBlown

everything in the game for the most part im happy with. if theres a new game, can we please get an actual rooftop stage, and not a penthouse, thanks. thats it, all i want, oh and get mick gordon to lay down more sick tracks

1 Like