What justifies his damage output?

well I agree to an extent, I definitely agree on counterbreaker lockouts, but if its a late non-counterbreaker lockout where the KV meter isn’t reset, then certain characters like glay, and wulf, who have really quick and high damaging mash shadow linkers, can tag on that double shadow meter damage quicker than other characters.

This made me goto the lab though fyi! i’ll report the findings on the aganos page :slight_smile:

If you want to know the total duration of a shadow move, I have a visualization for that.

http://ki.infil.net/linkervis.html

Just sort by “total duration” and you can see who is the fastest (although what you really want is total duration after the freeze, after that gray vertical line, since that is the only time that counts against the lockout timer, but this is close enough to get a sense for who will be in the ballpark for that). Remember that many characters (like, say… Rash and Kim Wu) are totally fine doing 1 shadow linker and then a shadow ender for just as much damage as Glacius. And characters like Aganos have special setups with shadow rocks -> wall that don’t even need to be in the break window.

His damage output is indeed a bit much. That’s it though. I don’t see anything else wrong with the character

2 Likes

That’s just it though. Glacius is not ranged focused and it’s a misnomer to call him a zoner. He’s a fairly hard hitting trap character that wants to catch you in the areas he is effective. Glacius isn’t particularly effective at range though; he can only annoy his opponent a bit. There are plenty in the cast that can zone better than him and at further ranges. Glacius doesn’t hold many options outside of 3/4 screen distance. Heavy and medium hail go full screen, but they’re also one of the slower projectiles in the game and easy to avoid. Even at 3/4 screen, his options are essentially hail and shatter. Hopefully, he’s not catching anyone on a raw shatter at that distance, as it can be avoided on reaction. No, Glacius is most effective at mid screen distance and corner pressure, where his hail setups and pokes translate into combo opportunities. His instinct changes things up, but people also let him get away with a lot in instinct.

Actually with hail setups and long range normals (Ice Lance and jumping HK), Glacius can zone fairly well. Shatter is also a great tool to force your opponent to move, often into another dangerous set up.

If Glacius wants to keep you at bay, he can. Most of the damage I get from Glay isn’t from his combos (although they hurt), but by him whittling my life bar away with long range pokes. His close range antics is in my point, his weakness, as much of what he does at close range is negative and easy to punish, but getting to Glay is the real challenge.

Glay has always been in my opinion a hybrid zoner/ trap character, but for myself, I’ve always used Glay as a rush down zoner. :smiley:

Not really. Glacius cannot keep the majority of the cast at bay if they play smart, largely due to him being forced to give up position at round start and many have the tools to bypass anything he would try to do to keep them out. Ice lance is mid screen effective (essentially 2 character lengths) and jumping HK being the longest range poke he has (essentially 3 character lengths). They both lose to anyone savvy enough to take advantage of their hurt boxes, but that’s not really the point.

I’m curious as to when you play him? I’ve only ever seen you play Sadira.

I generally play him against newer players. I used to be very good with Glay, as I used him a LOT in S1 and S2.

He’s not quite a pocket character yet, but he’s getting there. I’m always testing new tech in the lab with Glay… I like high technical manual stuff. :smiley:

After taking the initiative to main Glacius for a bit now I can say I have a stronger appreciation for him now. I also think his damage is fine and his tools are as strong as his disadvantages for some matchups.

2 Likes

My issue with Glacius damage is I can open him up 3 times and some neutral hits (with Omen) get his 1st bar down to 30% and in one slip up he can combo me with the 2 shadow bars he gained from my 70% beat down, he throws those 2 quick shadow linkers in and a Puddle punnch ender and now we are even…both at 30% of the first life bar.

Thats a bit much off 1 lock out and a few neutral hits. It just needs to be scaled by just a hair. How that needs to happen I do not know… and being the Devs havent done so then i guess they know best. But it does suck when you are fighting a good Glacuis and they only need to get you into 2 locked out combos the entire match with some trade hits and neutral hits in between.

Calling it 70% is a bit generous. Regardless, Omen gets better overall mobility, unpredictability, neutral play, meter lockout, better meter gain, Shadow form, flip out, etc. The character is designed to open you up more often at the expense of overall damage.

It doesn’t have to be Omen, it could be many other characters. 70% is exactly what I said it is. 58-63 in the combo and 12-7 in neutral trades and hits.

You say that Omen is so mobile as if Glacius cant reach damn near full screen, hide behind hails, liquidize. Dont act as if Omen has all these tools and Glacius has nothing but a pinky finger.

1 Like

I didn’t say Glacius doesn’t have tools. It doesn’t change that Omen is better in the areas I mentioned. Clearly, you haven’t suffered too much if you’ve managed to trade some normals and open him up three times to get him to 30% in the first place. Especially if you are saying you’ve opened him up three times to his one.

Glacius is not particularly effective at full screen. Even so, at the furthest distance of his effective range, he sacrifices a sizable chunk of his damage. He is one of the easiest characters to break as well, especially at that range.

Well, that’s the glaring difference with Omen, you have more opportunities to open up someone and have all these crazy mixup options at your disposal. With Glacius, he has to work for it and without a lockout he does mediocre damage outside of a lockout/counter breaker. Sounds balanced regarding that a character that can open you up infinitely has lower damage to someone who has to force himself in with something unsafe or by read.

Hate to be that guy, but don’t lock out. It’s going to happen sure, but if you have the opportunity to break then break, if you want to play the mental game and force your opponent to counter break, let him hang himself. From my experience, damage tends to be much lower if you don’t even bother break (unless they are just that ballsy). Really, Glacius can be punished fairly easily. As Omen you have an amazing tool, shadow slide. It hits low and is projectile invulnerable (I think). It will go through his shatter, hail and can even be timed to punish him during his puddle. Some Glacius’s tend to jump lance, which has a large hitbox so any dp will catch it. The only thing that Glacius’s will tend to abuse is Cold Shoulder in which case you can either trade or just block it.

1 Like

Are you serious right now??? He has to work for it and Omen doesnt??OMG
Ok…

Geez I never thought of that??hmmm… Ill have to look into that…SMDH

Sure, but now he’s down to 0 meter and you probably have several bars which will help you win the fight. He had to empty his resources just to break even. Meanwhile, you’ll use your meter advantage to re-establish your lead and likely win.

To be honest, Omen can dump 2 bars into a lockout pretty easily too (and much more regularly has access to 2 bars). They are slightly less damaging than Glacius, but Omen’s damage ender is also a meter ender so it really only costs him 1-ish bar, and where Glacius might get 60% in such a combo, Omen gets around 50% which is really just one normal xx fireball difference.

2 Likes

Omen can not do 2 shadow linkers as fast as Glacius can. Look, I didnt create this thread…but I do agree he hits a tad bit too hard. This isnt about Omen vs Galcius…this is about Glacius. vs EVERYONE. I only used my experience as an example.
Regardless of how much meter Omen carry’s or what tools he has…when it comes down to it, in almost every match Ive been in vs Glacius and the matches Ive seen other characters against glacius…in the end it always comes down to the DAMAGE race. Glacius always pull it through in the end with a hard hitting 1 chance combo.
Ive even heard commentators recently express the same words ( I beleive it was Zipstar)

Why hasnt anyone tried to shoot this down?

Or any other people that post the same sentiments?

Buff Sadira and Glacius is fine. :smile:

According to my vis, Omen’s shadow flurry linker is only 10 frames slower than Glacius’s cold shoulder, so two shadows are roughly 20 frames slower. Considering a lockout is 180 frames this is pretty manageable, and he looks to have one of the top 7 or so fastest shadows in the game.

Sure, it’s a little slower than Glacius but only ever so slightly slower. I’d still say dumping 2 bars into a lockout with Omen is very reliable.

To the topic at hand, again, I still find it really bizarre people are singling out Glacius as the damage king of this game. Mira absolutely cruuuushes him in the damage department and is equally slippery to hit, and I’d say at least 10 characters can capitalize on lockouts with equally damaging (or more damaging!) lockout combos for 2 bars (examples off the top of my head include Mira, Thunder, Wulf, Spinal, Kim, Tusk and Aganos). Sure you can suggest a Glacius nerf if you want, but your concern will just quickly go to another character.

3 Likes

As a Kim Wu, i can nail you to the wall for a 2 dragon, 2 bar allow-me-to-lead-into-my-combo-with-st. hp-but-you-can-lockout-potentially-twice combo for 82% damage.

I can hit a invincible reversal to open, 2 dragon, 2 bar, one-chance break combo for 55% damage.

I can convert a first chance lockout into 2 bar combo in the 45-60% damage range.

I can take a combo starting with J. lk, full of light AD’s and light linkers with one shadow linker into a normal damage ender for around 35-38% damage range.

All the while i’m loading my combos with heavy AD’s and playing the long combo game. Yes, Glacius is a pain, but i have felt for a long time that he’s just the flavor-of-the-month as it were. In my particular case, i’m not worried about him ‘outdamaging’ me because he doesn’t. Not when i have a jump normal that hits in the same ballpark as his reversal DP. I’m more concerned about him being tricky on me than i am with his damage.