What justifies his damage output?

People saying Nicky won because of Fulgore were idiots. But you can’t throw that at the rest of us as an argument that the character is now trash because Nicky uses him less. People should worry less about the latest top8 when they talk about characters.

The Fulgore you describe in your post is so bad that clearly no one should ever use him because he makes Dan look like vanilla Sagat. Thats clearly not the reality. One of the reason Fulgore has had so many changes is that he has so many tools. He’s a complex character with lots of options, a special meter mechanic and special meter game system.

As far as your "every other character plays the same but Fulgore, you are applying a totally different standard to the other characters. Jago doesn’t play remotely like S1 Jago. At high or low level. When was the last time you saw a “jump back Jago?” S1 was like 75% of players playing Jago in that style.

We get it. You are unhappy and we are all stupid ■■■■■■■■ for not agreeing with you. But you’re not adding anything new to the conversation by jumping back on the forums every time you lose a ranked match and posting another rant about how they nerfed Fulgore.

5 Likes

I have no stock in any one character (okay, I play a bit of Jago and I liked the old M wind kick but that’s about it). I’ve meticulously catalogued all the patch notes for all the seasons and have been involved in analyzing the game more or less since it was launched.

I think Fulgore players are greatly, greatly overexaggerating how much their character was changed compared to other characters. Not counting the change from S1 to S2 (which I agree was quite a large change), I think Fulgore was actually one of the least changed characters for the duration of S2, and even counting his S3 nerfs, largely his pressure uses the same buttons and “feels” the same.

I think virtually every character in the game, taken from the start of S2 until now, has seen at least one or two changes that can compete with the worst thing that’s happened to Fulgore. TJ lost invincible roll and gained entirely new pressure options, vastly changing his offense and his defense. Maya lost meterless DP, then lost dagger toss on metered DP, then lost various juggles, then had her dagger pressure changed. Kan-Ra lost most of his S2 pressure, but then gained shadow sand trap and other tricks. Spinal had his instinct changed, just like Fulgore did. I mean, I could keep going if you’d like.

Basically, KI does see changes but I think people freak out way too much over them. Not counting S1 to S2, and S2 to S3 (so, only twice in KI’s life and about 18 months apart), the characters play and feel 95% the same throughout the season. What does Fulgore do now? He zones with the same button inputs, his vortex is 100% identical, and he still uses medium laser (the same input command since S1) for all of his best up close pressure. If you have a teleport setup you like, it still works the same as it always had. Whether you think his new instinct is weaker or stronger is up to you, but it’s a very easy to learn and apply instinct (do a bit more of the same pip stuff you’ve always done, throw in some 1-pip charges in your zoning and after your launcher ender).

I dunno, man, I don’t see it. And I’ve seen KI from all points of view from the start until now.

10 Likes

Has nothing to do with losing ranked matches. It’s people who justify their character not getting nerfed while calling for other characters to get nerfed. I offered plenty of workarounds for Fulgore on the forums here. No one ever listened to them. Just kept getting him more and more nerfed. So it seems that’s how it works. Glacius needs nerfs to his cold shoulder. You’ll argue how it doesn’t need them and everyone will listen because you’re not just a “filthy casual” like me. So my character gets neutered to crap while Glacius gets a plethora of buffs, new tools and gets to keep his damage when Fulgore got his damage nerfed due to having a lot of tools. Well they’ve removed a boatload of his toolset even removed some of his pip cancels and scrapped his instinct to a frame stop. You haven’t played Fulgore to the extent I have. You don’t know first hand the effects of his changes. I’m sure you enjoy the ability to Cold shoulder stall all of your matches to your hearts content because of how dumb the move is. We all know it’s dumb, I saw more than a few big names agree with it. Yet people go gung ho find a way to deal with it rather than get it nerfed. Where the hell was that logic when Fulgore got nerf after nerf after nerf? Not like he was dominating the tourney scene. Nope… Just he’s too good “heresay” nerf nerf nerf.

In the same post as:

There are a surprisingly good amount of uses for his instinct, but most of them revolve around getting free pip charges in situations covered by the free pip cancels. But you can’t use hyperbole like this if you want to have a real conversation with people knowledgeable about the game.

4 Likes

When you continue to say things like Fulgore’s instinct is just a frame stop now it’s hard to take your arguments seriously. That’s been the main problem you’ve had throughout the course of Fulgore’s changes over the past few years. You wilfully reduce a veeeery diverse moveset into a few bullet points and focus entirely on the negative ones.

Fulgore’s instinct is probably less effective now, as it used to pretty much remove the key weakness of his toolset and allow him to reach very high potential with no effort. That doesn’t make his new instinct useless, in fact it is really good, but instead of being an auto-upgrade button, it requires setup, execution and a gameplan.

2 Likes

Glacius wasn’t and isn’t dominating the tournament scene either considering waterhorses is the only one who consistently places very high with him and sickle having some good showings. I would quit trying to use that argument if I were you. It doesn’t help. Fact of the matter is I can fight a good Fulgore and he’s not much different from before outside of going even with aganos now. His nerfs didn’t impact him on the same scale as Gargos spinal. Or sadira and arbiter who became among the worst characters in the game. Perhaps Fulgore players now need to actually focus on things Nicky and other good Fulgore players had even before he got nerfed. The main thing being meter management. I would rarely fight a good Fulgore who had good meter management. They didn’t need it since his instinct eliminated the need for it.

Also you don’t have to play a character to know them. The reason ppl like infil are so knowledgable is because they pretty much lab everyone. And considering he was my characters worst matchup since his launch I had to lab a ton against Fulgore for potential counter picks. So I damn sure know what he can do.

3 Likes

First, “filthy casual” being a determining factor to the value of anyone’s opinions is hot garbage.

Second, the value of any one person or player’s input to game balance probably no higher than a grain of sand in a hourglass. If you’re up on such things, Keits has came out a number of times saying he’s sworn off multiple streamers for various reasons, many of whom are very good or knowledgeable players. And i’d say he has a pretty big say in the game’s balance.

Third, i think you take way too much stock in tournament placing and visibility as to how good or bad a character is. Could be wrong, but that’s my gut talking to me. I also know for a fact that when you say ‘everyone’ was with the latest batch of nerfs for Fulgore that that is wrong. I wasn’t. Infil wasn’t. Think i recall Storm and Letalis not being too keen on most of them either. For as much stock as you place in known players/personalities, the latter 3 ought to matter more than all 4 that i mentioned.

I agree with Fulgore’s changes mostly. They made it so he’s still good at everything. Just that he doesn’t excell at everything like before. And you are 100 correct. While tournament placings matter they don’t in ki as much as they would in another fighter. Many of the game’s best characters don’t see as much as tournament play.

I actually think they maybe went a bit too far with Fulgore’s changes (when you sum up the last 4 patches). But I’m a realist; he’s still a very good character, his scariest stuff is still super scary, and whether they buff him in a future patch or nerf him further, I can’t control that. What I can control is how well I play with the character’s tools, and if I was a Fulgore main and I saw what Nicky and someone like Deadly Kansas is doing with the character, and if I’m not doing that, then I know I have room to improve before I think the character isn’t strong.

6 Likes

As for Fulgore, the only thing I disagree with his is frame advantage on normals being nerfed.

I don’t think glacius’ dmg is op, I think his shadow cold shoulder should be tuned. If he has meter and you get locked out, you’re done. Maybe decrease the speed of it, so you can properly bait it(defense) and not get in two shadow moves instantly.

What about similar characters that can do this, though? This is not a Glacius-specific thing. Lots of characters also have powerful shadow enders so they only need enough time to dump 1 shadow linker on a lockout.

Nerfing Glacius shadow cold shoulder is just a Glacius nerf, it’s not a game-wide “I locked out so I don’t get destroyed” nerf. In general, I think, KI is all about “don’t get locked out” so the Glacius change doesn’t make sense to me.

4 Likes

Sadly, Sadira doesn’t have anything like that. :frowning:

In instinct she sure does!

1 Like

Well the others that can do it aren’t as annoying to get in on. It makes the damage burst much more noticable when you’re working hard just to touch him.

I don’t think you really appreciate the gift of being able to effortlessly break a shadow move before the opponent can properly react with a counter. Glacius doesn’t have a shadow linker that has lockout gaps once the first hit lands.

4 Likes

Well yes. SWB is a great move, but only if you jump cancel it.

I wish this was true. But in any case you aren’t supposed to lockout without consequence in KI. And as far as “you’re done” can we please look at realistic damage here? Glacius is in the high end with lockout but it is not off scale - especially in the context of the S1 characters. Don’t mash buttons early and you’re fine.

There’s nothing broken about Glacius’s gameplay and the things people are complaining about have been fundamentally the same since the game launched. Suddenly now it’s a problem? I’m having trouble with the logic.

So are you if you lock out on Mira tusk thunder Aganos Kim wu jago tj raam orchid hisako etc.

1 Like

What I’m saying is a ranged focused character can punish pretty bad up close. Also glacius is my main.