What is your preferred Killer Instinct controller?

Lately I’ve been using a XB1 pro controller, & have been really enjoying it. I put the halfway locks on the triggers & using them for KI feels soooo much better. Also I remove the analog sticks altogether so I don’t accidently nudge them while I’m playing, but I can still use the right analog for throws (I put mediums & heavys on the face buttons and lights on the right bumper/trigger). Plus I’ve been really digging the new weird concave dpad top…it seems odd, but my thumb slides over it so buttery smooth…

1 Like

Its like night and day I feel the octogonal gate has a nice smooth quarter circle motion while the square feels disjointed and janky to me I’d recommend trying the octogon

1 Like

I bought a TE2 last year to try it, first stick I’ve ever bought. I used it for about 2-3 weeks and wasnt getting any better with it, I was awful haha! Sold it and solely became a pad warrior.

Dude… you got to STICK with it!

1 Like

Ocotgate sucks

I’m using this.

MadCatz SFIV Fightpad, and it’s pretty good, generally speaking. I’ve used it with MK9, MK10, Skullgirls and now KI, it hasn’t let me down.

Same model, except mine is the Ken theme one.

Hori Real Arcade Pro Stick. Compatible Xbox and PC.

I have started playing VSF when I was 15 on Neo Geo. Since then I cannot play VSF with a Pad.

Xbox One Elite Controller. It’s awesome!

I haven’t used a stick since the 90s. I’m highly considering the hori rap5. I see them on amazon for $150. I’m hoping for one of the $100 sales I’ve heard about. I’m padding it up like menstruation for now.

Are the buttons on that microswitches, or standard ones like an ordinary Xbox/PS controller?

I’m not completely sure about that one. Are buttons “micoswitches” when they feel like there’s barely any force needed to ‘click’ them?

What I can tell you though is that the buttons feel like just ‘normal’ buttons like on a 360 controller for example (but slightly bigger). However, I’m not a fan of the shoulder buttons (L1, R1). They ‘click’ towards the inner extreme of the button itself, rather than the outer one. In other words, imagine yourself holding… say… an SNES controller in your hands, or any controllers with large enough shoulder buttons (of similar size). Well, on the SNES, let’s take the Left Shoulder (L1) button for example here, it ‘clicks’ when you push the left extreme of the button itself, while its right extreme doesn’t move in much (if at all). Well, that same shoulder button (left one) on the MadCatz Pad ‘clicks’ on the right side extreme of the button itself (towards the Pad’s cord in the middle). It takes time to get used to that, because it’s the only controller I’ve ever had that did something like that.

The buttons though (excluding the shoulders) are good, although maybe just a tad too big for big hands / chubby fingertips. If you have big hands (and fingers) you MIGHT definitely hit two buttons if you press too close to the “sides” whenever you happen to press the middle ones (let’s say… Medium Punch, Medium Kick buttons, you might accidentally also press either Light Punch or High Punch). For ME, however, it’s just the good button size. And perhaps more importantly the D-PAD is good enough, responsive, good build quality, doesn’t feel too “loose” and I can input my diagonal movement well enough.

I’d give it a solid 7.5/10. Then again, I’m not a connoisseur when it comes to “good controllers for fighting games” so my score probably doesn’t mean much to others. I myself just like it enough to keep it until it breaks or something.

I had a Marvel Vs Capcom type…similar layout, but the buttons had microswitches to activate them…meaning they worked like arcade buttons…the problem was they were extremely sensitive and you could end up pressing one when you were just resting your thumb over a button. Also the D-pad was kinda a mini-thumb joystick thing…anyway under the hood it worked like a joystick, the problem with that the switches can become easily broken, & since they were soldered to the circuitboard you just had to get a replacement.

This might be a little off topic I’m relatively new to the forums and if I should make this a new thread someone please let me know. Reading all these comments and noticing there a handful of you that use the Xbox One Elite controller. Was just wondering what kinds of configurations you all use for KI? I see some of you have already mentioned this but maybe what kinds of sensitivitys you use? For example, what kind of sticks you use (If any), default sensitivity, aggressive, instant ect. How sensitive your triggers are set, dead zones, button mappings all that good stuff. Currently I have my sticks set to default using the lowest sitting stick with hair triggers both set to 0-10 to be as quick as possible. Just wondering what you all use. Always willing to try out new suggested configurations to improve my game!

is there any good pad to play with? I mean something like the old sf4 mad catz pad of the 360, something in between the price range of a pad and the elite controller, I don’t feel like spending 150 euro on one pad.
any idea?

regards

I’m a stick player, I didn’t spend much time at all in arcades growing up but I decided to try stick for KI and honestly hate pad now. The bottom left stick is dual modded for xbox one (it is also a ps3 stick, don’t let the buttons fool you as they are from the TE in the top right). Due to having xpadder I can use all but the TE2 in KI for PC (and once the drivers are fixed for that I can use any of them).

4 Likes

I ran through Bronze with a controller using Maya for the first time. Normally I am a stick player but I wanted to see if there is big difference in execution.
Dashes give me issues on a controller.

I will go back to stick once I reach Gold but while in silver I will use a pad, not so heavy, lol

That Ki stick looks gourgous, i’d kill to have one of those:innocent:

I grew up mixed playing pads at home and sticks at the arcade, but was probably better on pads back then. Then when I switched to pc for Street Fighter 4 I loved keyboard/hitbox style, so I became anti-pad. Then for KI, I tried it on the MS store on a pad and it felt terrible. Then, later, I tried it on some sticks in an arcade cabinet setup, and it was one of the best experiences of life itself. So investing in a stick for pc release was a must-do. my pads collect dust.

I find them easy with the D-Pad, not so much with the analog…

It’s the jump cancels I find difficult after a dash with Maya. I have better control on a stick. But dpad is indeed easier than the analog stick.

1 Like