What If Killer Instinct Had An M Rating Would We Have No Mercies Or Is A Possible To Have Them With A T Rating ( Made the title more specific)

When? Last I remember there being a drought for the series was after MK4, and even that did reasonably well for itself. Before that, MK1 through UMK3 sold really well, as did the whole Deadly Alliance series of MK games that followed eventually after MK4. MK9 did great, and you yourself admitted that MKX has done well. So yeah, I’m not seeing “almost dead” anywhere really.

What I was using was perfectly sound logic. At least I didn’t have to stoop so low as to demean other forum members for their replies and laugh at them like you are apparently doing. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

From 3 to 2011 they were struggling to stay relevant really. I don’t think any of those games in the series surpassed the 2 million mark for lifetime sales. That’s ok in the late 90’s early 2000’s but the cost of development quickly became much more expensive while their sales remained around the same. 2011 started a real revival of the series bring it back into relevance.

A lull doesn’t necessarily mean it was dying off though - it was still on the back of many people’s minds. Much like KI was, which is why it’s also slowly growing (we’re at 6+ million and counting! Whoo!) as a franchise as well.

When you really think about it, a franchise is only truly dead if the developers say something along the lines of “we’re not going to make that franchise anymore.” Even then, another developer might pick up the rights to it, so you never know… :wink:

Exactly. Good saying . We are one hating we are nope criticism but we are just noticed that!

If you really believe this, WHY ARE YOU HERE? If this version of KI is so bad, why stand up for it at all? In fact, I’ve been through a lot of your post history. You’re pretty much the biggest troll on here. Any piece of news worth celebrating, you’ve been there to bring in the doom and gloom parade. Really man, that’s why not a lot of people here take you seriously, you’re hypocritical, trollish, and negative to any and everything.

If this game is so bad compared to what you remember, then go play that, and let us enjoy this game as it is. Three Seasons in under a T rating, and there are still some people pushing for this ill-fated fuzzy logic.

To be quite honest, some people get embarrassed at being seen playing MK casually anymore, and that level of brutality is actually kind of overplayed in this day and age. It’s a sign of immaturity for one point, and for another, KI (2013) has a right good balance of violent action versus the blood and guts stuff.

3 Likes

Yea, the last two MK were good to me, so I’m glad it survived all this time.

There’s no shame in being very bad when compared to the very best. SF2, MK2, Tekken 3, KI Gold. All the tops in their series. Very bad compared to the very best can still be pretty good within the same franchise. SF4 is bad compared to 2 but it’s still a good game, imo.

Ah yes, that classic tournament game and FGC staple, KI Gold. Best in class, that.

5 Likes

For that reason too and now the S3 who did it more softer in effects I’ve stopped to play it for a while. I’m just gonna wait to see what happens. They should make a mix from S1 s2 s3 and only give amelioration instead of changes the way we play with some character. Too much nerfs and too much limitations . That’s what killed me for now I don’t feel the hard knockdown from hits anymore . That’s just too soft for me ( theré is all in animation but the hits sounds who make it alive aren’t!!!.
So I’m just goin to wait Maybe S4 could bring me fully back. S3 isn’t for me. I just like the redesign of graphics

Anyway I thanks IG and iron galaxy for the S1 and S2.

3 Likes

Am just not a fan of the new plunger sound when you gain meter. It’s sooo out of place.

Veer back to topic…

So why are you still here?

1 Like

4 Likes

yay this topic again. KIs rating is fine the only things that would change would be fluff like ultimates and ■■■■ so whatever.

6 million unique users in KI. T-Rating isn’t hurting sales.

Even if the game came packaged with all the old (and IMO silly; inb4 I’m “not a true fan”) finishers gussied up for current-gen, and had an M-Rating, lots of folks would have ended up writing the game off as an MK clone and completely overlook the amazing game-play.

KI has forged its own identity over the past few years and it’s working well, and it doesn’t need to be more like any other game; not its previous iterations, nor any iteration of another FG franchise.

4 Likes

Exactly true on that.

@IronFlame
Technixally good gameplay is what gamrs should have to stay up.

@Tedakin
True there Ted, True there. I think the reason why is because its this thought that by making it an M-rating, it could bring back everything they liked about the original games.

They feel an M-rating would bring back
-Ultimates
-Orchid flashing her pillows
That’s just to name a few.
It could be this belief that something cannot be taken seriously if it wasn’t M-rated.

Yeah something like that.

@greysyke
Yes, you can still get Ultimates and still have a T-rating. You just have to know that there is more than one way that a fighter can finish off their foe without showing what the insides look like. Yes it is also true that a lot of us aren’t looking for it to be like MK. I’m among them. Perosnally, a rating change to M (even if it was possible) wouldn’t affect me at all.

I think ultimates are still possible. Just remember there are more ways to finish off an opponent like I said before without showing the color of their insides.

I never understood why people always try to make those assumptions of people when and think they are older than they the ones they are arguing with. What the heck does that get them?

@Fwufikins
I’m very indifferent myself

True there, it is a false assumption to think that demeaning them will get them to agree with them.

Okay is how I view this.
Advantages of M-rated boosts
-More sexual content
-Gore
-MK Tone atmosphere

Disadvantages
-Criticism from gamers who would accuse the game of being a sellout
-Parents who will not let their kids play it, unless they were confident that their kids can handle it (Think the lord I had confident parents)
-potential harm to sales after loosing some of their audience

Now personally, I will still play KI even if it did get an M-rating. It won’t affect me much.
I also believe that Ultimates can happen in a trating. A finisher doesn’t need to (do I really need to repeat that again? I’m those of you who had taken the time to read the post know what I said by now.
The devs even said that it can happen. They can have ultimates for all characters they just chose not to but with some luck, they may change their minds.

Some of y’all act like if it was M rated with more gore you couldn’t just disable the gore via options. I’m pretty sure they would add that as an option. So, what you’re basically saying is I don’t want people to be able to play the game with mature content even though I’ll never see it in game. lol smh @ modern society.

This argument was also made in that other thread. A gore option most likely isn’t a feasible one for technical reasons probably, but it doesn’t magically drop the M rating either. It takes the M-rated content and would hide it behind a wall of sorts, but even though it’s walled-off, it’s still present. The game still has the M-rated mark, and you still have all the restriction windows of that rating with little benefit. No toggle will change that for the ESRB rating.

Also, your assessment of modern society seems to be really weird. But the M rated KI argument at heart isn’t about what society can take for the sake of gaming art, it’s more or less “does KI really need it?” Given how far the game has come with a T-rating, the answer seems like no, stay the course. The game is staying true to its roots, with the fighting system in place, the over the top announcer, the various fantastical designs of characters, returning characters having good resemblance to their past iterations while having their gameplay updated and balanced for a new generation fighter, and even finishers that have huge combo numbers or really good effect endings. I wouldn’t mind seeing more Ultimates in the game, but I’d say crushing an opponent with an Arcade Machine (KI1), an elephant (KI2), or a banshee (Arbiter’s stage S3) are all along the same scale. If the game was doomed to flop without an M-rating, it would have happened already.

3 Likes

You got a point there.

Anyway, the answer I was trying to give to the OP @greysyke is that we can get ultimates in KI despite a T-rating. In some way the devs said it could happen. But they don’t plan on giving every character an ultimate.

1 Like