What If Killer Instinct Had An M Rating Would We Have No Mercies Or Is A Possible To Have Them With A T Rating ( Made the title more specific)

Convenient you want to focus on that version, considering you remove the pins from the equation and you get the T-Rated version of the game. Funny, you didn’t seem to mention that…maybe there’s a reason you would want to hide that fact that modern KI is T-rated. Maybe it’s because the M-rated version of KI1 is packaged with the T-rated modern version of the game, therefore making the bundle M-rated? I do believe you’re twisting the truth.

Take your own advice.

They were stripped of cutscenes, the core fatality system was still in play with nothing changed. The cutscenes weren’t even removed for content reasons, it was a fact that the old SNES and N64 carts had nowhere near the storage capacity of arcade games at the time, and they couldn’t fit. How much do you really know? Seriously, the combo breakers, specials and other animations weren’t changed at all, and they made a T rating. You have no honest idea what you’re talking about at this point.

Unless you were born in the 70’s, I doubt you’re older than me. So unless you have a legitimate argument based in logic, and you aren’t twisting facts and history for your own personal benefit, we’re done.

2 Likes

I thought the reason given for the T rating the last few times this thread came up was because the @developers said "we don’t want to."
I’m indifferent to the idea of gore. I’ve liked games with it, I’ve liked games without it. But I think that the addition of content that would push the game into M rated territory on its own had been pretty succinctly dismissed by IG/MS… Twice at least, if memory serves.

1 Like

I’m done talking to you, you just don’t get it. You are either trolling at this point or extremely dense. I’m not taking the bait, enjoy.

Oh really, so the devs are pretty much just jerks. Yea, we don’t want to is not a valid reason for a developer to not implement highly requested features. There are thousands of valid reason they could have given, though they would most likely be lying, we don’t want to isn’t one of them. That’s a real d-bag move.

1 Like

No, there were far more descriptive reasons than that, which you can read here in it’s locked and captured glory.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from The KI is too "YOLO" Debate:

Continuing the discussion from By 2016 would you like KI to be reclasified as an M rated game? POLL:

To tempus not sure how to quote just his parts.
Here’s one just off the top of my head. MKX came out and stomped KI into the ground sales wise. In 2016 an M rating on a free to play game will stop next to no one under 17 from downloading and playing the game. More mature content added to a game can bring in additional adults to the game, you know the kind with money to spend. I could continue to list reasons but there is no point, you guys clearly do not care what players of the game want, only what you want!

Let’s be real, the majority aren’t asking for MKX level of gore but the original KI and KI2 level of gore, violence, and sexuality. To be honest it was quite mild at the time and even more so now.

1 Like

It’s amazing how much we have to Barneyfy things for people.

I didn’t even scroll through the rest of the thread because I have to comment on this. World wide attention? The big one? There is an interesting sect of people who seem to praise KI2/gold who surround this forum. I think it’s reality check time.

KI2/gold did not sell well. KI2/gold was not well received. The masses do not think back to killer instinct and remember KI2/gold, they remember the original. It was not a great game. There are countless things about that game that were steps backwards. Instead of going off on its own originality, it doubled down on being a parody of mk and over sexualisation. I laugh at the people who demand ultimates and more over the top finishers. These are not what define a killer instinct game.

You know what killed KI for over 15 years? KI2/gold. Do you really think Nintendo would have had any desire at all to bring this franchise back? People claiming that ki needs all this added fluff because a bad game did it 20 years ago blows my mind. I understand there are those who really had fun with KI2/gold, but you need to step back and be realistic about the legacy of that game.

They brought all the truly great things from old KI back and turned it into something that fits the times and makes a mark of its own without needing other franchises to mock in order to succeed.

3 Likes

Knowledge we both share.

Ahh, this topic again.

Well, it’s certainly possible for No Mercies/Ultimates to return in a T rating fashion as we’ve seen already.

There are currently no plans for this rating to change per the Creative Director:

KI was never focused on gore, it was focused on combos.

The game wasn’t built around gore as its selling point. It was build on a bombastic announcer, its SGI look (amazing for the time) and its combo system.

We have yet to create a character or have an idea that we can’t do with T. Hisako’s impale was the only change we’ve had to make in (now) 3 seasons because we felt it was getting out of T.

While some here don’t get the idea that parents actually care about what their kids play, we do, and we want to create a game that parents can be OK with their kids playing.

M limits what we can do on a promotion front and how and where we can show the game. Certain countries will simply refuse to sell the game if it is M rated. We don’t want that.

No one on the team believes that KI needs or wants an M rating. We have drug-addicted werewolves, killer robots, a cybernetic carnivore, blood that splatters the ground… and we’re all in T. That’s just fine, thanks.

and for reference, here’s where the quote is from. Link to the thread

Edit

Your points are refuted above. It’s not necessarily what we want, rather the direction promoted above by @TempusChaoti. We get some people may want more mature rated content, however, it’s not in plans at least for this iteration; personally don’t see it happening in the other iterations either at least in the near future.

End Edit

Debate points. Not others.

4 Likes

A) MK had multiple releases over 20 years to maintain its popularity. KI didn’t. That’s why MKX sold more - it’s fanbase was still there. For KI, that fanbase had to be rebuilt from a much smaller base.

B) You throw out a lot of group terms in your posts, when you really shouldn’t. For example, you say that “the majority aren’t asking for…” How do you know? Did you ask EVERYONE? No, you didn’t, so you can’t possibly account for a majority. Speak for yourself, not others.

C) A F2P M-rated game WILL stop a lot of 17 year olds from playing it. Want to know why? No money (for combo and ultra editions), no Internet, parents who abhore violence - there’s a lot of reasons why minors won’t be able to play it.

D) While an M-rating can certainly bring in additional adults, the opposite is also true. Many adults also detest violence and actively avoid it in all facets of their lives, including video games.

1 Like

KI Gold sold well for being on just one system. So, what you’re really saying is the N64 didn’t sell well, that’s true, especially early on around the time the game was released. It’s the second worst selling Nintendo console of all time I believe. The game was very well received by the people who matter, the players. The N64 was however the multiplayer system of choice for most people. I’m willing to bet twice as many played and loved Gold vs the original. No online back then, if you wanted to play against someone it was arcades or a console, you had to go in person! So, KI Gold had a higher percentage of sales per console most definitely, the original barely outselling Gold by like 100k, if I remember the article I read correctly. Your argument has been complete shattered. Pretty much no one talks about the original because it wasn’t that great.

What killed KI was Microsoft buying Rare and sitting on the franchise, fact. This version of KI is bad in comparison to Gold, I mean just awful if you compare it to that classic game.

2 Likes

Hear, Hear!

A. False MK was almost dead not to long ago. lmfao Learn your history before you speak on it.
B. I can gauge based on the comments given, I don’t see very many people asking for MKX level of gore, violence, etc…
C. Just about everyone has internet in 1st world countries. You don’t need a lot of money to play this game, please try to keep up. That tiny amount of kids with hypersensitive parents wouldn’t let them play the base game either. lmao

D. You’re not making any sense, you logic is full of fail. If they detest violence they wouldn’t be playing this game regardless of the gore level. Please try to use some common sense before making posts.

1 Like

When? Last I remember there being a drought for the series was after MK4, and even that did reasonably well for itself. Before that, MK1 through UMK3 sold really well, as did the whole Deadly Alliance series of MK games that followed eventually after MK4. MK9 did great, and you yourself admitted that MKX has done well. So yeah, I’m not seeing “almost dead” anywhere really.

What I was using was perfectly sound logic. At least I didn’t have to stoop so low as to demean other forum members for their replies and laugh at them like you are apparently doing. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

From 3 to 2011 they were struggling to stay relevant really. I don’t think any of those games in the series surpassed the 2 million mark for lifetime sales. That’s ok in the late 90’s early 2000’s but the cost of development quickly became much more expensive while their sales remained around the same. 2011 started a real revival of the series bring it back into relevance.

A lull doesn’t necessarily mean it was dying off though - it was still on the back of many people’s minds. Much like KI was, which is why it’s also slowly growing (we’re at 6+ million and counting! Whoo!) as a franchise as well.

When you really think about it, a franchise is only truly dead if the developers say something along the lines of “we’re not going to make that franchise anymore.” Even then, another developer might pick up the rights to it, so you never know… :wink:

Exactly. Good saying . We are one hating we are nope criticism but we are just noticed that!

If you really believe this, WHY ARE YOU HERE? If this version of KI is so bad, why stand up for it at all? In fact, I’ve been through a lot of your post history. You’re pretty much the biggest troll on here. Any piece of news worth celebrating, you’ve been there to bring in the doom and gloom parade. Really man, that’s why not a lot of people here take you seriously, you’re hypocritical, trollish, and negative to any and everything.

If this game is so bad compared to what you remember, then go play that, and let us enjoy this game as it is. Three Seasons in under a T rating, and there are still some people pushing for this ill-fated fuzzy logic.

To be quite honest, some people get embarrassed at being seen playing MK casually anymore, and that level of brutality is actually kind of overplayed in this day and age. It’s a sign of immaturity for one point, and for another, KI (2013) has a right good balance of violent action versus the blood and guts stuff.

3 Likes

Yea, the last two MK were good to me, so I’m glad it survived all this time.