By 2016 would you like KI to be reclasified as an M rated game? POLL

so hardcore.

4 Likes

An M rating wouldn’t automatically make it a more mature game. Halo has had an M rating since the beginning and I’ve always thought of it as a T rated game instead. They finally fixed it by making it T in the newest game.

I don’t mind an M rating but in reality what I really want is a darker more ominous/creepy KI. The first game was very ominous and creepy. All the sounds the characters made were terrifying. The announcer sounded Sinister when he said “Continue?” or “Fight on”. New announcer just sounds hype which is okay but I want the more serious dark tone in the game.

They can get a darker more ominous tone without an M rating. Shame the stage ultras and other shenanigans are goofy and cheesy as ■■■■.

1 Like

Nobody (almost) here is saying that gore sucks. Just that there’s other games already for it.

1 Like

I don’t care if the game is rated T or M. All I want are ultimates added to the game. That’s all I care about. I enjoy finishing off my opponent after defeating them. Ultras are okay, but not as satisfying. For me, it’s just another combo, which I already do several of during a match.

Ever wonder why Ultimates take so long? Maybe because they have to work within the confines of T ratings.

Yes, that’s it, it’s not because there’s a problem with the camera control settings they have to fix, planning and animations, assessing whether each stage has the appropriate room in it for the ultimate to work properly, testing, etc. All while developing a PC port, 9 new characters for season 3 (9 is a guess btw), conducting open beta with a new character, trying to shadow enable the rest of the cast, add new features that matter like new modes and fine tuning ranked, or make Shadow Jago into a real character. It couldn’t possibly be that for the last season they’ve had soooo much work they have had to leave something on the cutting room floor for another day. That would just be insane.

It has to be the ESRB and their oppressive nature bearing down on the company and preventing them from doing anything.

Now that you’ve read it out loud, do you feel silly yet?

In case you need reminding, since it seems like it went in one ear and out the other.

Quit pretending you’re doing this game a favor and LET IT GO Elsa. The majority has reached a belief that the game is fine under the T, creativity has not been hampered, and there is nothing in the game that warrants a higher rating.

5 Likes

Your stand up comedian act needs a lot of work.

There has been such a huge outpouring of logic and intelligent posts which absolutely refute every single thing you’ve posted, and yet somehow you persist in spouting off your unfounded nonsense.

Even dev posts mean nothing to you.

So since you know so much about economics, game design, and marketing, please feel free to go off and create, market, and sell your own fighting game. In the meantime you can leave KI’s direction in the hands of those who are actually capable of running the studios.

5 Likes

Hey @TempusChaoti! Close this topic please!

2 Likes

If you enjoy KI enough to sign up and post on the forums why would bumping up the rating make it any better for you?

I don’t understand. Maybe there is a language barrier or I’m misunderstanding something

Simple question to all “I want M rating” users:

Do you like the game? Do you enjoy playing it?

If the answer is yes, I don’t understand all this complaints. You like the game, and you want the M rating because you think that the game will be better with it? Ok, fine. But is YOUR opinion. My opinion: M rating, less market(some countries doesn’t allow M games, young people whose parent will not buy the game, less advertisement…), so the game will sell less, less profit=less budget for the game, so less quality, content stops…

If the answer is no… A bit of M content will make you like the game? Then you are here for mature content, not for a fighting game. I don’t know what are you doing here…

1 Like

Not having no mercys right now it’s a budget/time/priority problem, not a M rating. You can make an ultimate like Shago’s, which is T and not M, for all the cast. You can make no mercy moves without brutal gore.

But the game is still growing…

The problem is… Patience?

1 Like

Your posts are getting to the narrow minded, aggressive style that got you into trouble before, you might want to take a bit to reread what you write before actually posting it.

I’d also stay away from posting misogynistic things like the following, considering there are plenty of female gamers in the KI community as well.

Just some friendly advice.

This restrict on audience and benefits little to nothing the game.

Mature dialogue on FG is passable

Graphic enders are unnecessary

Devs are fair unrestricted AFAIK

This all don’t make a better experience, gameplay, netcode, balance and audience are.

no big issue if the devs can keep Hisako and Fulgore moves safe. Plus ultimates (at least 1 is confirmed).

I’ll go on to record and say that as of 2015 Killer Instinct has become in my top 3 of favorite fighting games of all time. The beauty about KI is the power of suggestive imagery and the subtly inherently interwoven into the atmosphere of the game. It’s a game that fuels itself off your imagination, literally. Just about everything at the aesthetic core is left to your interpretation without being overtly in your face.

The irony is that the characters and the atmosphere itself is very bold, diverse, and distinct. So with that I’ve come to realize the allure of this game lies in its almost “cryptic” undertones. Everything is suggestive. Nothing is overt. The occult nature of this game is where it separates itself from other fighting games. I’d say the closest contender to this would be the Tekken series.

But my point is, I feel like at times “maybe” the character design choices as of late have been a little bit too “limited” in a sense that they appear to operate under the restrictions of a T rating. For example we have characters like Riptor and Aria, I think Riptor suffers from this because her appearance could have been a lot more ravenous and intimidating. Aria from a design standpoint, I feel is more tame than she could have been. Imagine the addition of moves based on mechanical tendrils that probe the oppenent, piercing through the character for example. Some of these design elements though not inherently “gory”, are brutal and should have been given consideration.

Ultimately what I’m trying to say is that Season 1 of KI looked as if things were headed into a darker undertone yet it was highly stylized and visually bold, seeing ultra enders and such for the first time blew me away with a massive “cool factor.” Sometimes it just seems like pressing more for the T rating jeopardizes that cool factor as of now.

PS: If Omen is a demon made of shadow energy that possesses Jago, why does he not have a move based on possession yet Hisako does? There are some design choices like this that I question too.

What you describe sounds like more of a departure from ARIA’s personality than what you believe she is tame. Then again, it’s all perspective, but the probing thing sounds unnecessarily gross, and given she would probably be more interested in learning about the character’s fighting styles and abilities rather than what their insides look like, it seems like it doesn’t make much sense in the context of the game. ARIA is a zoner to most, though she can go on the offensive, but this sounds like incorporating a move, like a command grab, that goes against her achetype, not to mention sounds like it goes against her personalility.

With Riptor, you also have to remember, you are trying to transition to a next gen medium from an old console generation and trying to preserve an older character design while molding it over onto an updated format. Your carefully trying to update her look, while keeping her recognizable to those who remember her from the older games. So you have to be careful not to overextend the creative license to design a character too far divorced from the origin material.

I’m honestly not sure how you could improve on Riptor’s appearance really, at least not without making her unrecognizable to the older fans, but her appearance isn’t the result of being bent and tied to a rating restriction. ARIA on the other hand to me was a bit of a disappointment in the appearance apartment. The formless, void, shapeless, developing ARIA from the season 1 ending seemed more menacing and threatening to me, in the fact that she is always watching, analyzing every combatant, every fight, and the best form she could synthesize from all that data was what seemed like an outdated Gundam design with shotgun knees. It felt disappointing, I expected something like the Didact from Halo 5 or maybe a Zone of the Enders type body with a more space age sleeker look.

As far as heading towards a darker undertone, unleashing the immortal Gargos upon the world throught the half-baked machinations of a madman, and trying to force mankind to accept they are inferior without Ultratech’s influence to make them stronger is pretty sinister in motive. I’d say it nailed a fairly dark tone.

The effect of the M rating on the story level doesn’t really merit it. But to suggest it within the context of gameplay requires a lot, and just to pierce the opponent doesn’t seem worth it. In Gears, when you are headshot, or hit by a boomshot shell or grenade, etc., the gibbing effect fits within context, and is a mechanic that prevents the DBNO state and just straight up ends things, playing a pretty vital part of the gears experience. However, gibbing isn’t a mechanic that is useful within the KI combat.

3 Likes

I think we are saying similar things. I understand the Riptor explanation but perhaps my concern about her design stems from the initial concept art we saw of her. She looked more repitilian and ravenous, more intimidating. Something that would be a nightmare to encounter in real life. I feel like they took the liberties with certain characters that are supposed to be monstrous and intimidating but instead toned them down, almost giving them an “action figure” like design. Same with Aria, I was expecting something more sinister and menacing. An AI that held an air of mystery, one that could strike fear upon appearance. I was watching The Animatrix earlier and it really made me see the potential that Aria could have been. Overall I feel like things are becoming a bit too slapstick and the designs almost feel forced. Hisako is an amazing character but something about her gives me the feeling of “they were trying to hard to make her scary in all the wrong ways.” The thing about season 1 is that the characters have a sort of eerie mystery surrounding them. A character like Sadira, I was watching a video about the early development of Ki for the 360 and her intro pose was even more creepy and eerie. These are the elements I feel make the designs so memorable. It’s all suggestive. When I first saw the giant spider on Sadiras stage, I was hit with a certain wow factor. I feel like these dark elements are missing a bit in season 2 and hope that they make a swift return in season 3. I guess this is one way in which people associate the T rating with the overall atmosphere of the game.

Riptor’s classic is pretty terrifying…there’s a particular pallet that makes her look even more terrifying.