What happens when season 3 is over?

I could live with it, surely, if they ended things after S3, but I can certainly tell you that I personally wouldn’t like it though. If they stopped making regular seasons, I could understand that, but there’s far too much opportunity here. They could add new stages, music, accessories and costumes, profile cards, profile card taunts, fan art, etc. Things to either unlock and/or purchase. We, as a community, have already proven we’re willing to throw money at them. Why throw away a good thing? Unless, of course, they’ve got plans to make something better that still involves the franchise. :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

I only got to post 13 and stopped to reply so sorry if someone already pointed this out.

guest characters:
besides the lore they are just a vessel for game mechanics. I propose to you that they could have had a generic hunter and his combo attributes would match arbiter move for move. A gun, knife and explosive. Everything else from cloak throw to shields are just smoke and mirrors and all cannon really. yes I’m sure they matter in VS matches but my point is those properties of moves could be given to anything with a head, 2 legs and 2 arms.

I’m wondering your opinion after having maybe at least considered the points I made above.

This is absolutely true. The thing is, though, that a generic hunter wouldn’t really appeal to a larger audience or even sell all that well. Besides, I doubt a generic hunter would get anywhere near the Arbiter’s size. :wink:

oh ya for sure. that was a general response to how people feel about guest characters and how they can be interchangeable.

weather or not these guest characters draw people in is a subject I’m not willing to go into cause it’s a subjective value standpoint.

but since we’re here Spider-Man has very similar moves from marvel vs capcom 2, when compared to sadira. lol Spider girl confirmed lol

Oh I agree 100%. I don’t want it to end if it doesn’t have to, not even a little lol I just got it in December and I love it so much. Dare I say my favorite game on next (current?) generation consoles, and possibly one of my favorite games ever at this point lol it is just so damn good. I just can’t get enough of it.

I hope we see IG support this game even further past S3. I agree that they could stop with Seasons and maybe just release small stuff over time like you mentioned, maybe a stage every here and there, possibly a new character, some new colors, accessories, player card goodies etc. That would be really awesome.

Season 4 with all original characters. This game really doesn’t need a sequel, just more seasons.

4 Likes

I don’t really see KI with a roster of more than 26 or preferably 27 characters, if there’s a 9th bonus character this season , which unfortunately doesn’t seem to be the case . I’m pretty sure that both eyedos and Gargos will both be in the game. If not for eyedol in season 3, then I’m sure he’ll come later. I remember once there was a most requested character poll put on MS and Eyedol was a choice . I don’t know how well he did , or who was the most requested, but I don’t think they would have had him as a choice if he wasn’t EVENTUALLY going to be in the game.

Its all based on cash. If season 3 does well and they make a profit, they will most likely do a 4th.

personally, i hope for new stages, characters, etc each year. Even if not 8-9, they can reduce that down to 4-5.

But especially for a game still making a new name for itself since its been away so long, more content is a good thing.

There is NOTHING wrong with a season of all brand new characters BUT i think eyedol will be saved for the “money character” next season.

Other things they can do, either as part of a new season or as DLC packs (for a cost): remakes of the classic maps, maps for chars without them, loads of new accessories, maybe a feature where we can paint character skins how we want them (not for ranked matches though), etc.

Regards,

Sanjay

That’s the thing I don’t want them to take just 2years to make a KI. 2. I want them to spen upwards to 4 years maybe 5with 16-20 charecter/stages and etc. it won’t be just the same game plus different graphics but a KI built from the ground up in the IG style instead of technically being forced to adapt to the engine/code DH created.

It wouldn’t really make sense for them to stop at season 3 especially as its only now getting a pc release. They will release another 1-2 seasons or if they drop the seasonal model there will be updates. To PC gamers its basically going to be like a totally new game so support is unlikely to stop just like that. In terms of what these updates could be may vary, it might not be 8 new characters, it could be 1 or 2 with more graphical overhauls, stages, ultimate’s, new modes being added instead.

Don’t really know what will happen, but I surely know what I wish:

1. I wish Season 4 is not a thing. By the time Season 3 is over and we get some extra content via community funds, the game will be 4 years old and the franchise will need something big to live on.

2. I wish they announce a proper sequel. The perfect time for the announcemnet would be KIWC or EVO 2017 with a Q4 2017 or Q1 2018 release window.

3. I wish that PC sales go well enough that MS decides to investi in a proper budget sequel releasing on both Xbox and win10. These are the feature I wish KI2 had:
    . Story placed many years in the future providing context for new characters and new mechanics. The gameplay should feel fresh, but not more complicated, it would need a new mechanic that make the returning characters feel new.
    . New graphics engine, UE4 perhaps, the game should be the best looking on the market at release time and it should have the legs to remain so for a while.
    . The new engine should lead to better animations, better facial expressions to give characters more personality, missing features like head tracking. I’d like to see more consistency for animation quality, every character should have at least Rash’s or Hisako’s level of animations, if not even better.
    . Real, cut scene heavy, story mode. With all the good material coming out of the textual backstories I thinke the game deserves a strong story mode.
    . Real marketing! There hasen’t been real marketing for KI, an I think it’s a game that could easlily appeal to the masses.
    . Multiple finishing moves. Ultras, Stage ultras, Ultimates and some form of last hit kill effect that rewards you if you get a footsie kiil.

That’s my wishlist… now I’m just gonna enjoy S3, hope that it sells very well on PC and that it get the deserved attention across the FGC… and than cross my fingers super hard for a surprice announcement in 2017.

1 Like

I can answer that question with a fair bit of confidence:

When season 3 is over, Microsoft will count the pennies it made from season 3. Then it will compare it with season 1 and 2. It will look at the number of people actively playing - and use all that data to decide what to do next. This is why they don’t make any announcements like “this is the last season!” - because they don’t know. They are leaving that up to us to decide.

So in summary, what happens after season 3 is largely due to us and how much we spend. This is why I always say if you love the game get the Ultra version (or equivalent) of season 3. Don’t be cheap. Throw your money at it. Vote with your money. Then, keep coming on this forum and asking for more content.

I really don’t see a need to go back to the drawing board to make a sequel. I think a season 4 could be used to transfer much of the game to a new engine for their next console (which will be coming out this year or next).

2 Likes

That’s a really good point, I think you’re exactly right. It is up to us to basically have MS and IG be more inclined to make another season , or continue releasing content in some other ways. I’ve always gotten the ultra edition, and I think it’s the best deal personally, so I also think that everyone should get the ultra for all seasons; if they are financially able to. But yeah I think it’s ultimately up to the fans to keep KI from another extended hiatus.

Not gonna happen

you really think a ps5 will be out by next year? i think this generation will have at least a few more years than that before the make a new generation

1 Like

The only difference would be the graphics. I think keits said it in an interview that they were contenders to make KI before DH got it. The IG KI would have been a lot different than the KI of today.

I don’t see a purpose for a 4 year development sequal. Mr Wizard already said KI is only at EVO because of continued support. Stop the seasons and KI is dead. The next game would be only as popular as it is today maybe even lower with SFV becoming increasingly more popular yearly with their seasons.

A better idea would be to continue making seasons and keep the KI popularity growing. Once the next console drops they port over KI and have a massive season update that focuses on looks. Gameplay by then will be largly different than whatever we have now if we look at season 1 and three.

4 Likes

I think its way too soon for anyone to talk about a sequel. I have posted about that in the past but some people don’t seem to understand how early it is to even consider that.

2 Likes

your right. this is the K.I i want to see. IG had to make do with the base code and engine DH created to make K.I. the game could had looked completely different with different aesthetics and mechanics that would otherwise be hard/harder to do with the base code that IG is using today. reworking the engine from the ground up is a major undertaking that would take a probably a year, maybe more since it involves possibly changing almost every animation character wise, stages and more. ki on the unreal engine tho (o).(o)

to be fair mr. wizard said that because ki at the time had less than 15 characters and was smaller than it was today.if there were no more seasons i think K.I could stand on its own merit at the end of season 3 instead on piggybacking on the idea that the game is always changing drastically bringing a fresh new experience. besides KI wont die at all if seasonal updates stop…especially if the dev continue to show support via accessories, stages and maybe 1 or 2 if we are lucky bonus characters and balance changes. especially balance changes which no self respecting fighting game developer would arbitrarily decide to forgo just because there are no major mid year updates. when a company decides to stop doing balance updates/bug fixes then you know that the game is dead (aka UMVC4) and even then there will still be a dedicated fanbase that will attempt to keep their game afloat( aka smash Melee)

when ever the new generation starts i want the new K.I game to be created specifically made for it instead of a simple port.

No. We won’t see a PS5 this year. But we will see a faster better xbox one this year (or early next).

Why would they show support via accessories, stages, and bonus characters when they don’t even do that now in between seasons. All of those things have only come from season updates and they sure as heck won’t be supporting old KI with stages if they are building stages for a sequel. It would make no sense. That’s like if Capcom made more stages for USF4 while making SFV, it isn’t happening and would only mean less content for that game.

While I would love to believe this, the only games that have done this consistently without yearly updates are SF4 and Marvel. Every other game KOF, Blazeblue, Tekken, MK9, Injustice, all died after support left.

I don’t think you get the message of what he meant. It’s not that the game would look better and perform better, it’s that it wouldn’t play like KI at all. He gave DH credit for building an amazing game in terms of combat and that they wouldn’t have been able to achieve that.

1 Like