What do you want to see from MS at E3?

Just curious…

Are people expecting a lot from Microsoft at E3 this year? I’ve heard their show space will be a bit smaller this year. Not sure what the reason for that would be.

I mean, we know we’re going to see Scorpio. That’s a given. We also seemingly know a lot of what’s going on with their studios:

Mojang: More Minecraft
The Coalition: Too soon for Gears 5. Maybe some Gears 4 DLC?
343: Too soon for Halo 6, but have said their might be something small, Halo related.
Turn 10: Forza 7
Rare: Sea of Thieves. They have something else they’re working on, but who knows if that’s anywhere close to being ready to show, especially with Sea of Thieves supposedly coming in 2017.
Lift London: Does F2P tablet games.

Second Party:

ReAgent Games: Crackdown 3
Playground: Possibly Forza Horizon 4? If that’s the case, we’re definitely not seeing anything from them this year.
Certain Affinity: They seem to make map packs for Halo, so maybe they show something with 343 that’s not Halo 6?
Undead Labs: State of Decay 2
Studio MDHR: Cuphead
The Fullbright Company: Tacoma
Aurora44: Ashen
Iron Galaxy: Killer Instinct (?) and Extinction (multiplatform)
Remedy: Project 7. Not sure what it is and I’d assume that’s a code name, but it’s their next game coming to XB1 and PS4, so no exclusivity here
Armature Studio: Seems to be too soon to show anything after ReCore

Those seem to be the biggest bullets in their gun that we know about. It’s possible we could see something new from Certain Affinity, Saber Interactive, The Behemoth, Signal Studios, Vanguard Games, Skybox Labs, Frontier Developments, Ruffian Games or Grounding Inc, but honestly, these are all second party studios, so it’s not like they’re beholden to MS to put something exclusive out on their system and even then, none of them have put out anything overly substantial.

So unless MS has a truckload of second party agreements or they’ve created a bunch of new first party studios in the last year or so that actually have something to show off…

I mean…

Is there a whole lot to be excited for? Or is it more realistic to think that we may get a surprise or two, but most of the show will be Scorpio, a lot of stuff we already know, and maybe some multiplatform reveals? Or am I being too much of a downer?

I think we’ll get decent amount of stuff. I suspect the new practice of keeping things quiet until release and the whatever titles they probably held back for Scorpio. It’s going to “seem” like alot do to lack promotion prior to E3.

1 Like

I don’t expect much.

1 Like

Yeah I mean, honestly, and again I don’t mean to be a downer, but what can we realistically expect given what we know about their studios and what they’re working on and what they’ve recently completed?

I mean sure, maybe some of them have multiple projects going on at once, but traditionally, that hasn’t really been the case with a lot of them. Basically, we just have to hope that they’ve either created some new studios, which is something that tends to get announced, or they’ve signed some second party deals under the radar.

It makes me worry a little bit given that some outlets, like Game Informer (for example) seem to be saying that MS has a lot riding on this E3 and talking about what most of us already know in that MS has had a substantial dry spell where it pertains to first party exclusives.

So if Phil goes up there and shows Scorpio, some multiplatform stuff, and 90% of what we already know with maybe a surprise or two, I think it’s theoretically possible that MS will take a bath in bad press and core player animosity, which doesn’t bode well for trying to sell a new system.

Of course, I don’t want that to happen to the people that work hard on this system and the games, but from my own utilitarian perspective, I just want some great games, and nothing that they’ve shown already excites me. REALLY hoping I can say that’s changed post-MS conference.

1 Like

I just figures they’d create a fourth toad

I would like Xbox One to have more exclusives as well but here’s something that irks me.

When XO does get an exclusive people beg for it to come to PC. Then when it does come to PC people complain that XO has no exclusives. Like make up your minds people!

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

shrugs
It’s still annoying nonetheless but oh well
can’t be helped

1 Like

I’m already disappointed, the new Bubsy game isn’t on Xbox

Hold on now, I thought the original Bubsy game DID NOT do so well when it was first released, am I correct? :confused:

It sold well enough for a sequel and a 3d game idk. All I know is I played the hell outa the second one.

I’m honestly expecting a really quiet E3 in general. EA is going to do their usual sports and Battlefield/Front.
Bethesda has already said that they aren’t currently working on a new Elder Scrolls so apart from maybe Wolfenstein and Quake there’s not much to expect.
Microsoft is probably going to focus on Scorpio stuff. Sea of Thieves and Cuphead might eventually come out.
Ubisoft’s big titles are all already either known or leaked
PlayStation already has a bunch of games that were labeled “Coming Soon” the last few years that they need to catch up on. Maybe Bloodborne 2 at most.
Nintendo isn’t even going.

If it turns out to be a big E3 I’ll be surprised really. Pleasantly surprised, it still not expecting much.

1 Like

Scalebo- oh wait

2 Likes

And the Phantom Dust REBOOT too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

See this part, I’m most curious about, because I agree with you on EA, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Sony and Nintendo (though I think they’re doing some sort of Nintendo-y type of Tree House or Nintendo Direct or maybe Miyamoto on a camcorder, filming in a literal Tree House, who knows).

But with MS, I mean, it’s very well known throughout the industry just how big of a dry spell they’ve been in as far as software. I listen to multiple gaming podcasts and generally try and read up on the medium when I can. GameInformer, IGN, Polygon, Giant Bomb… There’s a running narrative through the media right now, and more anecdotally, as seen by many fans I’ve come across on Twitter, that MS is in need of AAA exclusives / 1st party titles.

The fact that they’ll be showing off Scorpio, a new console slated to arrive this Fall, likely underscores that opinion as well. Playing games on the most powerful system is certainly a draw for some people, but if it’s multiplatform, there has to be a reason to justify what will likely be a hefty price tag beyond teraflops.

So if MS comes to this show with Crackdown 3, Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, more Minecraft stuff, some multiplatform games and maybe one or two surprises? I dunno, I think people will come away disappointed, especialy given that all of those game are expected, many of them have already been shown already (some of them multiple times) and only a few of them really have a jaw-drop factor in the graphics department to begin with.

Personally, and this is just me, but I think they need to surprise some people, not just with an exclusive no one expected here and there, or the announcement of a returning old IP, but I honestly think they need to have several unexpected twists and turns and moments that get the crowd excited for Scorpio and the Xbox brand again.

If any of those games aren’t shipping until 2018, and let’s face it, Cuphead, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves aren’t locks for 2017 by any means at this point, then they should wait and show them at CES or PAX or some other large event. E3 should be about generating excitement, which means showing as much new and unexpected stuff as possible. I just hope that Phil and the team at MS has enough arrows in their quiver to silence the critics.

Either way, it should be interesting! :slight_smile:

Yeah I feel the same, what use is fancy visuals if you have no exclusives or first party titles to play it on. The games line up at E3 will determine if I get a Scorpio or not. Halo, gears an forza do not cut it anymore

1 Like

Same here. I’m on the fence, but if there aren’t any reasons to upgrade, and for me, Forza 7 isn’t a factor at all, then I’ll keep what I have and wait for a price drop.

1 Like