What do I do when fighting a person who is new to the game?

I played a qualifier today, who was new by the way he played and judging by his player and character level.

I just went back and forth: let him do some combos and then I would do my combo. Just enough for me to not lose and for him or her to have a nice experience to try out combos, breakers, etc.

1 Like

Then he won a rd, teabagged and left?

That kind of behavior happens but luckily it happened just once or twice to me.

Not for nothing, but if he did so what? I mean, how much do you really need to demonstrate you’re superior to new players? If you let a guy win and he is a bad sport about it, that says a lot about his lack of character and nothing about you.

I know it’s a competitive game, but every single round doesn’t have to be treated like some sort of ■■■■ measuring contest. He doesn’t get to run off with your prom date just because he stole a round at KI.

I would rather lose to a CAM assisted player and have an interesting match than simply wail on a practice dummy for two rounds. At least CAM lets me work on my combo breakers.

Ill be activating my live account in the next few days and will finally fight some human players, so I am kind of excited and its really cool to see how much this community wants to and is willing to help new players. I think I will have to all out on everybody I come across though since I myself am still newb tier in this game XD

1 Like

Yeah online practice would be great. MKX has it and me and this one guy sat in it for like 3 hours practicing, it was a lot of fun.

Welcome to KI sir! I probably won’t be playing you anytime soon (on account of the aforementioned “I dodge newbies” preference :stuck_out_tongue:), but I wish you the best as you get into playing this awesome game :grin:

1 Like

That’s too bad :confused: but thank you! Hopefully ill level up even faster after playing real people soon and we can play one day :wink:

1 Like

do your best @Blade4693! if you want to spar with me add me. my GT is same as my forum username. ill play my rookie sabrewulf. i am picking him up again because i want to try new things. dont have a working mic though. bring your A+ game and we’ll see whats up, ill throw you messages to suggest things

1 Like

Anyone who wants to fight me, add me - same as my forum name on here. Preferably bring a microphone if you have one and we can talk through strategies and the like.

I won’t go easy on you at least until I realise what level you are or if you ask me to go easy on you for a while. Then again I learnt that not holding back on players is how they seem to learn best around me

Thanks man, ill be sure to do that. It’s probably gonna be a few days before I activate my Live account though but we can definitive play when I do :slightly_smiling:

@SightlessKombat: Ill add you too if you ever want to play. I don’t think ill be much fun to fight against though if you are really good lol but im willing to try my best and see what happens.

That’s why I said bring a mic - I will be happy to try and teach you what I know and work through things with you.

1 Like

I agree with you. I don’t like frustrating newcomers using a main and beating the hell out of them, it’s not rewarding. Ok, I may have bad days, but I don’t crush them if they are respectful. If they are new they won’t even tb, but they may taunt, not to insult you but just because they thinks it’s funny or it’s ok to do so.

But I’ve faced “stealth” killers too, which is bad if you didn’t choose your main because you saw a low level. It’s a good trick though.

1 Like

I think everything is based on what you’re doing when you come across the new player - in Exhibition, with a friend, or a “for fun” lobby, I have no problem playing easy or picking a character that I’m not as familiar with, but if you’re playing Ranked the gloves are off and I will go all out with my main every time, because I’ve tried to “play nice” against a new guy and then lost to what is clearly a smurf account who decides to throw excessive taunts and teabagging into the mix.

2 Likes

I used to sometimes go easy on people who are qualifiers

Until I met one of THE BEST CINDER’S in Qualifiers
I was using orchid

Now, I go full throttle always!

SPARE NO ONE! MWAHAHAHAHAHAH! cough cough cough

I agree that when we talk about ranked you have to play with the best you have, like when I was at the arcades. I wasn’t going to miss my “coin”, I would defend it. Ranked means the same (to me) with the freedom that I don’t have to worry about coins (however losing many times in a row means I need to make adjustments before keeping on, or frustration levels will get high) . However, if someone is too green there’s no need to use the best you have with your main to beat them. But also no need to let them Win, because the next guy will crush them. It’s like a balance. In Spanish I’ll use the expression " bajar la guardia" , a Little =)

2 Likes

My general rule is play to about 70-80% of what I’m capable in any given match, which is generally more about the setups I’ll use than about anything I’m doing in neutral. Against newer people I’ll tend more towards damage enders, while against more experienced players I’ll typically prefer setups and hard knockdowns. The additional leeway I grant via less than tight oki is about the only sop I’ll make to a new player, though I will also pull back on overall aggression a bit if they’re just getting mauled. But in general I’m just more of the mind that I’d rather move on to my next match and let them do the same than try and somehow make an uncompetitive match competitive.

@MaruMDQ, curious if you’re available to play this evening. I know (or thought) you said you were looking for some Hisako practice, so if you’re up for it I’ll probably be on sometime this evening after work. Let me know.

1 Like

Yes, I have a lot of difficulties with that match up,thanks

If its a player who’s spamming jabs into blown out light combos, he’s going to get the treatment unfortunately. It shames me a little to whoop them really bad, but I get over it by telling myself that I’ve shown them what’s possible without spamming jabs all the time :smiley: I do try to send messages with ggs and little tips on what they should do better. Most don’t reply but the few that do say thanks so that’s good.

In ranked, I have to play to my best, simply because I can’t tell what level the other player is or how many points I have (@TheKeits Online stat tracking via a website is a feature that would greatly improve the quality of the whole game as an experience for blind and VI players such as my self, @Blindperson and @Blindgamer102, as well as everyone else). Being able to track stats online while you’re away, including for example who is in the top 32, how many wins/losses they have, how many points they have, etc shouldn’t be that difficult as all the information is already in the game and it shouldn’t be that hard to sent it to a server with a few scripts.

But that asside, I have to play my A game every match in ranked. If a new player was willing to raise their voice and say “hey, I’m a new player, can you give me some tips”, then I’d behappy to based on the match. However, with the rise of combo assist amongst lower level players the game has got about 10 times harder for me as they can just jump in and mash buttons like never before, with no rhyme or reason and as a result be even more unpredictable than before (thus also making my climb to Killer even more unlikely).

1 Like