What do I do when fighting a person who is new to the game?

I met a level 1 today in exhibition. I fought him but I held back a lot so he could win. He message me to ask if this was what the highest ranked players were like. I responded nope. He told me to go all out. I got a perfect and he told me he quit because he could never catch up. I told him to practice in Dojo mode and get ready for March becaus that is when a lot of new Pc guys and he agreed and is now my friend. I don’t want to discourage newer player so do I hold back or what when I am matched with one?

6 Likes

Personally, if I do decide to take a fight with someone very low level (which I don’t often do to be honest, as I think it’s not particularly rewarding for me or likely fun for them), then I’ll play a 3rd or 4th string character against him. I don’t really like “going easy” on anyone, since I’m not learning good habits while doing so and I’ve had enough experiences of newbies taunting or teabagging once they get a life lead (which of course then means I have to crush them) to turn me off from letting people take games or rounds to make them feel better.

Playing characters that I’m only passingly familiar with allows me to play my hardest, while still hopefully giving the newer player a legitimate shot at beating me. There’s only so much character unfamiliarity gets you though, so I feel like I still wind up winning most of the times, and I tend to think that it’s probably still a bit discouraging, even if I’m not beating them into the dirt or anything. It’s always better if they’re able to find people who are actually at or around their skill level I think,

9 Likes

It’s an interesting topic. If I knew I was fighting someone a lot lower level than me, I would either play my main or move to a character that I know well enough to win but not so well that I can’tbe beaten. However, since I don’t know if I’m fighting anyone lower level than me, I jsut try and fight my hardest every match. If they just stand there, I don’t know if they’re high or low level or not, they are still a player who can be beaten. It’s harsh, but because of the lack of information I get as a player with no vision at all, I don’t see myself as having a choice in the matter.

1 Like

Occasionally I’ll pick a character I don’t know as well, but I’ve also run into a lot of lower level players who are either playing smurf accounts, or are fighting game veterans even if they’re new to KI, so I’m kind of straying back towards going all out every match.

2 Likes

I just pick my low tier characters like cinder and maya but if they aren’t too bad I just gradually change characters up to the ones im actually good with until it’s actually fair for the both of us

1 Like

I used to pull my punches when fighting my girlfriend, though within a week she caught up and often kicks my butt now. She’s a fast learner, she really clicked with Sabrewulf, Maya and Hisako.

1 Like

I destroy them, nothing but manuals and unbreakables. Then I quintuple ultra and teabag/taunt like there is no tomorrow. Then I send them a message calling them a scrub…
But seriously every time I fight anyone not in killer rank I won’t break and I’ll limit myself to two doubles and one linker. I’ll also keep my combos medium length and I’ll back off after every knockdown instead of going for pressure. The matches are usually more even that way. And if they actually are someone good at the game it’s pretty easy to tell after the first few seconds and I just start playing normally.

1 Like

Here’s what I do (and most of the time, it works): I pick a character that I’m terrible with (just to level the playing field somewhat) to start. Then once the match starts, I practice trying new things such as setups or just getting used to the character. This helps give my opponent, who is relatively new, a fighting chance. Otherwise, though, I don’t hold back. After all, I want them to learn from the experience. To facilitate that very aspect, I’m also very sociable during said matches - I’m constantly pointing out the mistakes they make, what they could’ve done instead, telling them about various aspects of the game mechanics, and well… Teaching them. Most people don’t communicate back vocally, but I know for a fact that in most cases, they’re listening (and appreciate it). I know this because they have a habit of sticking around, even if they’re losing. On average, I can get a new player to stick around for about 3-5 fights, if not more. Sometimes, they’ll stick around long enough that they’ll actually stop fighting just so I can show them something that they can try - and when that happens, it means they’re having fun and are eagerly learning…

…and that my friends, means that they’re hooked.

6 Likes

I don’t ever understimate anyone new to the game. If I come across a level one, I gauge their skill first then I adjust what I do around that. But I don’t ever lighten up on someone. But I’ll be nice about it while I’m battling em’

Personally if a newbie wants advice from me I’ll be happy to share it. Infact I’ve helped a couple friends of mine one of em’ is pretty good.

1 Like

Think about this.
A new player has the single experience if they want to learn
The online multiplayer is for hard hitters level one or fifty
I was level one a year ago and I was beating level 50 Jagos and Orchids
my level 50 characters have been beaten by low level chars who may have had experienced players

I usually just kick ■■■ and give it my all so either they learn great technique or gain knowledge that aggressive play rewards a win

If a low level rage quits, it’s definitely someone trolling.

2 Likes

You go all out, main right out of the gate and land the biggest ultra you can! Just like Justin Wong taught us! No mercy!!

Jk

1 Like

WELCOME TO RHE REAL WORLD!!! YOU BETTER LEARN!!!-Justin Wong after wrecking kid.

1 Like

I used to be like this, in fact earlier I just tried Shadow Jago on a silver rank because it would have been a learning experience and I would probably mess up a lot. I regret everything. The dude was a tea bagger/taunter. It happens often when playing a lower rank dudes and I regret allowing those guys get ranked up. Now I only practice new chars in Killer Rank and go all out on undeserving lower ranked dudes.

I don’t quite get the reactions. This is a good thing, right? Someone asked for your help and begged not to hold back. As a result, due to your positive attitude a friendship was made.

It’s the attitude on both sides. When you have bad experiences, then you will be less generous or helpful to the next player you meet. For new players I usually take a welcoming approach. I generally use one round to check out if my opponent is REALLY NEW and whether to hold back or spam high, low, shadow dissonances across the entire screen, lol.

1 Like

I usually just play characters I am usually less familiar with and do my best to use moves they can catch on. I’ll stick to medium’s throughout so they can get a feel for the timing of breaks. I don’t spam but I try to follow a combo until they feel comfortable with it so they can either block, break or counter before I end up switching to a new system. It may come off as too systematic but it flows well throughout a match, assuming the player is genuinely trying to learn the game rather than spam the most damaging moves.

This… sometimes comes back to bite me in either two ways. One, they are actually a high-tier fighter who made a new account just to be a douche and fight low-tier fighters just for the thrill of easy wins. Two, the player gets overly cocky and loses sense of respect and takes your fair competitiveness as weakness and gives you a glorified taste of his teabag. More often than not I have met those who abuse the respect of the matchup. I would say about 1/5 of players actually want to learn the fundamentals and respect your knowledge.

1 Like

Try having fun with it. For example if I run across a clear new player I’ll try things like going a whole match without blocking or not combo breaking. Ya know? Things that can make you better while at the same time giving them a bit of an easier time. If anything invite them to join us on the forums. Bringing them into the community fold gives them a better chance at not quitting from discouragement.

1 Like

I get down on my onees and pray for them!

Lol

Not being mean, but I go full force. You can ask @oTigerSpirit. LOL. But he did ask, so I showed him everything I knew at that moment in time.

1 Like

It’s a very valid point about those “low-level” players that are either abusing the system by using different accounts to “appear” low-level when they really aren’t. I do run into them every once in a while, and I absolutely hate it when I do. In my mind, they’re basically manipulative cheaters and liars that can’t or aren’t willing to do things the right way and earn their ranks (or keep the ranks they already had in some cases).

Then again, sometimes it’s just someone’s older brother helping them out or something like that… So, it really is an interesting aspect of any gaming community that is, IMO, worthy of discussion.

1 Like

Yeah, but I learned - it actually made me a better Jago. I’m terrible at reading frames and always heard of Jago’s +2 frame advantage, didn’t realize how it can counter so many attacks. Still I can understand why you do it, I won’t ever hold I against people, that’s just me and like I said, it does come back to bite me.

Funny story, @oDragonSpirit and me often joke about how you are the master of her master to which she will use to teach her brother all lessons, as a master. Master Ostrich :laughing: