What are you playing?

brother and i just finished beating river city girls. the ending is funny, but i think opinions may be divided on that. wonderful game all around, so now we are playing it on new game+ using kunio and riki

1 Like

Hey man, can you talk a bit about the systems for keeping the game interesting? I’m thinking about getting this, but not if it’s just a standard arcade beat em up. I need something with a little replayability.

1 Like

@BigBadAndy alright, here’s a break down of what the game’s like. its your standard river city ransom game, 2 player couch co-op, plenty of map you can freely roam and explore at your whim. some doors are locked because whatever part of the story you’re on will need to be done first. but as you progress, more and more of the city opens up for you to wander about and beat the living tar out of everyone you see (or just run if you’re in a hurry). the boss fights are cool, and the story/dialogue is pretty quirky as you’d expect from wayforward.

as you fight, you level up, this unlocks basic abilities. your stats will also increase slightly, and as you gain more levels, you can unlock more moves you’ll need to buy at the dojo. moves can be cheap to really expensive, but they’re all worth it. for a beat em up, this game is really combo friendly, and if your partner is on your frequency you both can do some devastating attacks on hoodlums you encounter. for example (to me this increases replay, not sure for you) also note this game has light and heavy attacks, as well as special. with me using misako

LP LP LP > down heavy launcher > jump > drop kick > wall bounce > power bomb > player 2 comes in > volley ball spike

you can also have your partner throw an opponent and catch them mid air for power bomb/volley ball set. you can also juggle them to death if youre both on point.

buying food recovers health, but it also gives you extra stat increases to grow stronger. buying accessories at clothing shops etc also grants you bonuses to certain kinds of attacks. i have misako built as a grappler, so my throws do extra 5% dmg for example, while my brother built kyoko to compliment her chun-li lightning kicks and aerials. if you find yourself having the urge to beat up everybody with park benches and trash cans, you can also build for that too and give weapons extra durability for you to clobber fools with.

the death penalty from previous games is also in effect, so there is a degree of risk involved as you wander the streets. upon death, you will lose half of your money, so watch out. because the next death is gonna take half of the half you got left. a certain boss had my brother and i down to a coke machine’s worth of funding down from over 300 bucks.

after you beat the game, you can start in new game+ where you keep everything with added difficulty (the game has a degree of challenge, especially in unexplored areas with tougher guys to fight). or you can choose to “loiter” and wander the whole city continuing to build your stats, try out new builds, buy items at all the shops after the final boss is defeated. the items are a mystery of what they do until you buy them btw, but a quick google search gets you the key as to what does what.

so thats basically it in a nut shell man, hope that info works for you. so far we are greatly enjoying it, and plan on taking kunio/riki to max level which i think is 30. the only part that sucks though is they do not get their own story, the girls will again be front and center with all the dialogue etc. however they do get their own lists, and their moves are unique as well as their animations. they’re completely different characters they just dont have a say in the story at all whatsoever

2 Likes

At the moment, mostly Paladins, KI, Minecraft and Black Ops 4 when Tag der Toten will be released next week. Also Smash Bros.

Spawn is last on the list…its like March 2020

Yeah I have to do the DLC when it comes to Souls games… a lot fo other games I buy the DLC but dont get around to it…like ACreed.

Thinking of getting an accessory to better hold my switch. Hands hurt from holding the tiny controllers.

Anyone has one of these?

2 Likes

havent tried this, but im definitely interested. my hands will hurt after a while holding the switch so this looks like something that would alleviate it.

2 Likes

The one I bought for the VIta ended up working really well. It wasnt Hori…but it was similar to this idea and I loved it. Id definitely buy this if I played the switch more. I say go for it.

1 Like

Got back into The Isle with some friends.
For those who don’t know, The Isle is a Dinosaur Survival game where you try to grow from juvenile to adult as a dinosaur and just do dinosaur things. Food, Water, Eggs, Territory, etc.

We were playing a trio Rexes, which was fearsome and terrifying on paper. Once we grew to fill size there’s very few things that could mess with us. However, we discovered that we wish we’d done our Rex playthrough on a more popular server because the smaller AI dinosaurs won’t keep you fed, and all the bigger dinosaurs are players. Eventually we opted to try something else but will likely just try a more popular server if our need to kill grows again.

Herbivores and smaller carnivores have a much easier time without PvP of course. Raptors are especially good for roaming.

I’ll be on the lookout for similar games in case this one goes quiet, but it’s still pretty neat.

1 Like

i think ive reached the endgame for blasphemous. i am beyond the walls after the cavalry bridge. ■■■■ is getting even harder, and its a joy despite the game’s miserable/dark setting haha. i think my 1st file bugged out bad, because i started finding some topless chic with 6 daggers run through her chest who gives me more max HP. that was totally not in my original file and thats cuz i went into those very rooms where she was at. what gives? is the game rogue-ish?

2 Likes

THe sword chic is from the opening cinematic… it means something important.

2 Likes

ill be finding out soon. playing through this game, i am wondering how in the hell is it going to end story wise. i dont even know what exactly my character is up to since hes dead silent, im just guiding him along this blood soaked path hes chosen lol

1 Like

I recently got myself one of these, and it helps alot. I have CTS myself, and using the Switch in handheld mode and my hands start going numb after only about 5 or 10 minutes, but this makes it about as comfortable as handling a pro controller. I would highly recommend this personally.

Oh also, I’ve been playing the original Dagon Quest on Switch lately. I know it’s mostly just a port of the mobile version, but I like it anyway. I have a few nitpicks, mainly because I used to play the crap out of the original NES Dragon Warrior version, but over all it’s pretty good…would definitely recommend to people who have never played a JRPG before…it’s short and basic enough you could consider it a tutorial for how to play just about anything in the JRPG genre.

2 Likes

As an added bonus, you can use it as a club or a baseball bat. That thing is big.

3 Likes

Thanks but my issue with the Switch is not just the size of the grip but also I cannot press a button with my thumb without pressing multiple at once :laughing:
Therefore I would need a bigger grip but also buttons that are further apart. How do you deal with that?

Found a steal of a deal that ended up with me getting the Spyro Trilogy, Crash Trilogy, and CoD WW2 thanks to humble bundle for the keen price of $12 (which is less than any of them go for individually even on sale!)

Nice to finally sit down with old Spyro. I never played the original Crash or Spyro games, only later entries in the series. So it’s interesting to look back and see where they started.

Gotta say Spyro is definitely more…gentle than the original Crash Bandicoot :joy: Doesn’t just throw you on and tell you to git gud or die

1 Like

ok so i finished blasphemous! man, that final boss was a pain but i learned the pattern and then it was gravy from there. i got the bad ending, there is a good one but i dont know how to get it but i watched it anyway on youtube to see what the difference is. its pretty cool, and fitting for the setting. overall, it was a very good game and well made for a kickstarter project. the team knew what they were doing, and delivered a solid action 2D platformer with a very respectable degree of challenge. 4/5 id give it. it would be a 5/5 but yeah, game breaking bug threw my ■■■ back to the start even though i caught up really fast because i got good at it

1 Like

Valfaris is out! maaaan, i am really enjoying this game. the art, the ■■■■■■■ metal, the blood, its just so fun. tonight im gonna be diving further into it, the challenge isnt as hard as blasphemous yet, or maybe im just used to high difficulty now? after playing that religiously (no pun intended) this past week that may be the case haha

2 Likes

Never heard of it? WHats it about? Trailer link?