We need a ninja or a ninjalike character

Nah, not the same thing.

These statements sort of show that you don’t get it. A “Ninja” archetype/character implies certain things, a certain look, as well as play-style. The reason many Ninja characters have a teleport is because Ninjas typically don’t attack from the front, they attack from the shadows. Jago, and even Sadira to a degree, DO NOT play like a ninja archetype.

Though OG Jago LOOKS like a traditional Ninja, he isn’t/never was, as express in both the lore and in his play-style.

2 Likes

ninja’s are overrated, it’s too plain for the KI Lure

1 Like

Not really. In Shadow Lords a special Katana, akin to Tusk’s War-Gram, is referenced as a potential "Guardian item in the lore. That very weapon could be the basis of a Ninja character, a character chosen by the Ikorian’s like Tusk and Kim who inherited a “great power” in order to become a Guardian of the Gates. Maybe even a character who stole the weapon and decided to use the weapon for his own means or something.

Well, one has a mask and a sword and the other is an assassin, but I don’t think you can really combine characters to cover a trope just based on that limited criteria. If you disagree though, that’s fine.

Technicality is a tough path, because everyone views the line of redundancy differently. Some here (myself included) think that you can have a mix of traditional and pop culture ideas for a ninja that still feels entirely unique and different from Jago or Sadira, and that such a character would be fun to have.

Also, I think you can have more than one Native American’s in a game without having a redundancy. Eagle could very well end up being in Season 4 (assuming we get there) and I’d be shocked if he was filling the same trope slot as Thunder. Provided that unique things are done with the characters, and this is universally true about any character in the game, I don’t have a problem with having characters that may fall in to similar trope categories.

Of course, there are others, that have a different line. Some think that the number of humans in this game is redundant and they want more monsters. That’s a perfectly valid opinion too.

Regardless of whether they looked like this:

Or something more historically accurate (ie dressing to fit in, so here’s a traditional example, non-ninja), like this:

I think that a great ninja character can be built to fit in to the KI world, especially if they have a unique set of ninja inspired weapons at their disposal.

4 Likes

the old man I can definitely work with…

1 Like

This I can agree with. I never said Jago or Sadira ARE or ACT LIKE ninjas but they kinda resemble them enough - after a certain fashion - to take their spot. The same way we could have a tribal South American Indian warrior that looked completely different from Thunder, used completely different weapons and a completely different fighting style and it would STILL fit the “Indian” trope, rendering him/her somewhat dull. BUT if said Indian warrior were to be, for instance, a cannibal savage that made human sacrifices to a dark god from which he/she would receive supernatural or dark powers, THEN it would feel something completely different and I would very much welcome it. This is, I believe, where we agree.

Ninja-wise speaking, I can think of Vega, for example. A Spanish ninja-bullfighter mashup with a very unique design, weapons and playstyle not found anywhere else. I don’t think someone like Vega as is would fit right away into KI. In terms of appearance, it could, but it would still be lacking that otherwordly / fantastical approach that makes KI so special. Think Cyber-Vega or demon-possessed Vega and you may get there faster.

Well, they could take the “bullfighter” part a bit more seriously and make him a minotaur-like character.

A minataur “ninja”???

3 Likes

Hey, why not? It’d be such a unique character design you it certainly couldn’t be mistaken as unoriginal or ripped off of some other game.
…unless someone made the Vega connection that is. :wink:

I still say Jago is a ninja already I dont care what people excuses are with him being a monk there is such thing as Ninja Monks there for he is a Ninja

Well technically speaking I’m pretty sure he was intended to be an amalgamation of several eastern martial arts/warrior archetypes rolled into one, “ninja” being one of those. But if you ask me:

this looks more similar to a traditional Ninja design than a traditional Buddhist monk, and everything beyond that (KI 2, KI3) are obviously just slight variations on that foundation.

1 Like

or he is just a monk… he LITERALLY grew up and practiced in a tibetan temple…in TIBET where literal real life monks can be found practising buddism.

his stage song literally has tibetian throat singing in it!

3 Likes

And yet he weilds what is quite obviously a Turkish (not Tibetian) blade, which once again takes the whole “he’s obviously a _____” argument and throws it out the window and into the “Asian warrior” junkpile.

Just because he grew up in a Tibetan Temple doesn’t mean he cant be a ninja monk like I said Ninja monks are real things and they don’t just Practice how to fight they l practice Buddhism as well have you never herd of a Ninja Monk before they are real and they two spend there day’s in Temples.

I had to do a quick google search on this but it looks like it totally could be a Tibetan sword.

The kora is most commonly found in Nepal and India, but the Tibetans also made their own. The one in the link is about 17-18th century. It was fairly rare, but the Tibetans apparently have made swords like Jago’s.
It’s uncommon, but it certainly wasn’t Turkish. Turkish scimitars have a simpler, more heavily curved blade.
http://arms2armor.com/Swords/scimitar.htm

1 Like

I stand corrected. Thanks for the digging around. Learn something new every day…

Anyway, still…Jago…eastern warrior amalgamation…yeah.

Ha. I just posted on Eventhubs my desire for a ninja character which was quickly done off because Jago would be a ninja.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks Jago does not fit the classical ninja archetype.

In a sense, no, he doesn’t. Because he isn’t.
However, his entire character is very typical of a ninja-like character in fighting games. His gameplay and looks reflect that. I would personally have him embrace his Tibetan monk side more, and I think his current looks do that, however, he also still reflect that of a ninja.

He’s not a traditional ninja though, not by any sense of the word. He’s not a shadow assassin of any sort. He’s a warrior monk who channels his chi through his attacks and can even use it to summon a blast of fire from his very hands, which are typical fantasy monk traits.

But again, compared to other ninja-like characters in fighting games, such as Scorpion and Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, whom Jago are inspired from, he does indeed fill the “ninja” spot on the roster.

That said, if Iron Galaxy can come up with a ninja design that reflected ninjas in a more traditional fashion, having a unique moveset and unique weapons, maybe being more of a shadow assassin, using stealth-like moves, illusions, smoke bombs, caltrops, shurikens etc., then I would definitely be on board!

Take Blazblue as an example. They have Bang Shishigami who is dressed in a garb that reflects that of a traditional fantasy ninja, however, most of his moves are very flashy and his personality is very… loud. He’s the typical fighting game ninja character, like Jago is, like Scorpion and Sub-Zero…

But in the newest Blazblue game we get Hibiki Kohaku who is more like a traditional ninja, using the shadows to his advantage, using illusions to play tricks on his enemy, yet is still stylish in his moves without being too flashy.

So like Jago, Bang initially filled out the “ninja” spot on the roster, but Hibiki is an alternative ninja design which reflects the more traditional kind of ninja. And I see no reason why KI can’t have that as well.

HOWEVER!!! One would argue that Sadira fills that spot, as she is a more shadowy assassin character, though not reflecting the traditional Japanese ninja, she still shows alot of the same traits as one.

3 Likes

You need me :wink:

Since Overwatch is multi-platform, putting Genji in KI probably wouldn’t work…

1 Like

I was just thinking of him as I tried to imagine a look for a ninja in KI! :grin:

1 Like