Ultra David Tweeting about KI

You realize that most of us are grown adults, right? Sometimes the conversation wanders a bit. I think that’s inevitable given a topic with 140+ posts in it.

Sometimes we come in with our own opinions on what’s important as far as individual parts of the topic are concerned and those facets can turn in to smaller side conversations within that topic, like how much stock we should put in to someone who has a lot of followers as well as expertise in the genre, but maybe not in this particular game.

That’s not trying to discredit him, I think that’s legitimately a conversation worth having within the context of the main topic. Same goes for how much his words are negative criticism and how much are simple critique.

Good lord man, were you like this on the DH forums too? I don’t recall for certain, but I could swear that you were one of the cool, helpful people on that forum. But really, after your initial post, which was just a screenshot of some tweets, a lot of what you’ve said simply involves talking down to people for not discussing the topic the way you want it discussed, even as your own participation on that front has been minimal at best by your on admission.

You want to direct the conversation, then direct it. Don’t just sit on the sidelines and bemoan the fact that other grown people aren’t doing exactly what you want them to do.

You act like this is such a horrible place while, at the same time, not being overly respectful during this entire conversation. Seems like a strange way to promote a dialog but oh well. Not a big deal, by any means.

I’d be curious to see that as well. I hear some “buff my character,” “stop making changes,” and “that character is broken” stuff here and there around the web, but if you think that there’s a lot of objective, legit correspondence coming from pros, such as the few items you posted in your OP that forms some sort of coherent message that the devs are ignoring, how about we expand the conversation and inform us of these general sentiments.

Obviously, I don’t need you to waste an afternoon on it, but a few sentences here and there might help get a conversation going that you’d (perhaps?) be more interested in having.

6 Likes

Okay, so what is it that is different? Personally, I don’t see it.

1 Like

Leave indirect flaming at the door.

6 Likes

Directly on topic: I think a lot of David’s opinions derive from a lifetime of SF loyalism, and that’s fine. It’s the game that defined and cemented our genre. But he tends to dislike things in games terms farther they get away from his comfort zone.

His opinion on RAAMs Instinct VFX is to be expected. Its an innovation within the genre, and a bold one at that. He doesn’t have anything to say about other aspects of it, so I don’t know where e stands on any of that. It is annoying to fight against, but annoying isn’t the same as bad. Half the cast is annoying in their own right.

He hates Omen because he is half invisible. Omen is objectively not half invisible. Maybe he used to be, but thats not a thing anymore. So not sure what he hates, actually. Directly impacts how much stock we should be placing on these tweets, in my opinion.

He loves the simplicity of Tusk and the easy to understand nature of Mira’s blood mechanics. Conversely he dislikes how complicated Gargos is. He’s been playing SF forever. SF is his bae. I did not expect him of all people to jive with the gargoyle. Tusk makes sense. Mira seems like the extent of his complication threshold. He might dig on Eyedol, who knows?

He thinks Arbiter is super cheap. Guess what, seems the devs do to, so there isn’t much discussion to be had there until this weekend when we can dig into how heavy that nerf bat was.

And at the end of the day, it’s very polarizing for him. I imagine many of feel the same way.

I’m mostly interested in his take on RAAM. I know he’s a big Gief fan, so I’d be interested in something more thought out on that front, but that is irrelevant.

@BiyemAssi237 Um…yes you can. As long as you don’t directly insult developers or explicitly try to convince others of your opinions, you’re free to speak as you wish.

taking to the capcom boards to go diss on SF5 does nothing to help. just let it go, SF guys will always be SF guys because its all they have played on a serious competitive level. its their favorite game, its their home like KI is for us. do what you want, but seriously letting them speak their opinions and getting bothered by it so much is not worth the energy. its their loss, not yours. play what you like and enjoy it while you can

1 Like

I don’t think dislike is too strong a word, but hate surely is. Hate is the one that mockingbirds will latch onto and ascribe deeper than surface meaning too. Especially when he uses it to describe virtual non-issues. That sort of thing isn’t okay in my book, at least. Dislike all you want, bit be careful with the H word.

1 Like

Okay, sonic, it would be fair if he had made tweets about what he hates about MKx char or smash or even sf5, Why only KI ? the problem is that this tweet IS not a simple personal opinion bla bla bla, it IS kind of a mockery of KI. All his points dont make sense because he should already know that KI is balanced upon over the top moveset and gameplay mechanics. david knows already so to tweet this is like a mockery of KI, and that is true

respect is mutual, We respect SF5 but they do not respect KI. His tweet is disrespectful covered to look like a simple " oh this my opnion"

1 Like

Yes. It would. He’s free to be irritated by any game.

[quote=“BiyemAssi237, post:154, topic:12527”]
the problem is that this tweet IS not a simple personal opinion bla bla bla
[/quote]But it is. He’s simply saying “I don’t like how this character is designed.”

OK now you’re letting your own bias into your argument. Just because KI is designed around insanely powerful mechanics doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “balanced.” That opinion belongs to you, but it doesn’t have to belong to everyone. David is not trying to mock KI.

A guy that doesn’t like KI, either does not know about games or speaks on purpose.

OK now you’re letting your own bias into your argument. Just because KI is designed around insanely powerful mechanics doesn’t mean it’s “balanced.” That opinion belongs to you, but it doesn’t have to belong to everyone. David is not trying to mock KI.

That opnion belongs to you too

There’s also another saying.

“Do to others what you would do to you.” The last thing you should be doing is generalizing others because he is well known for being part of the Capcom franchises. He’s well within his right to express his opinion which this is, about the game.

Again, leave these insults, stereotyping, and generalizations, indirect or what have you, at the door or actions by the mods will be taken.

1 Like

I insulted no one, I simply gave my opnion on his tweet

Last part of my comment was to all users in general. Not just you.

Lol I’m sorry man that’s just what I call twitter. :kissing_closed_eyes: Instead of bird watching it’s “people watching” When people say “tweet” I call them “bird calls” As of right now from my understanding of this thread is analyzing rare call of the David species.

3 Likes

Update for anyone who missed out on the back and forth that followed these out of context tweets, David WAS just stating idle opinions with no agenda behind them. Keits and David had the logical conversation about how no one likes everything that we failed to. And David thinks it’s silly that his idle opinions would or could make or break this games success, as they never have before.

So, yeah. To everyone who said 'hes a guy with opinions ', you found the marble in the oatmeal! You get to drink from the fire hose!!!

Case closed.

5 Likes

Most people are going to have their biased opinions on “X” game, especially if it’s not the game they consider with high regard. It’s no different than hearing things from VF enthusiasts, Tekken enthusiasts, or [Insert your favorite game] enthusiasts. Granted, some people’s opinions may hold a bit more weight due to their affiliation with who or whatever, that doesn’t mean we start gathering stones behind closed doors but never throw them.

I haven’t seen any replies to those tweets yet, so I can’t say if what I’m about to spew has already been done or not (someone correct me if it is the case).

Instead of coming on these forums and just simply talking about someone who’s not really affiliated with KI say some rather subjective thoughts/ideas, casually engage that person (or those people) in discussion regarding the game, whether it’s in person or online.

I’ve encountered tons of people who don’t like certain games that I play (Vampire Savior, Battle Fantasia, NeoGeo Battle Colesium, JJBA, Waku Waku 7, the list goes on…) or they don’t like certain aspects of the game, be it characters, fighting engine, etc… I engage them in a friendly manner and simply try to understand their point of view, while also explaining the nuances mentioned. You’ll find in some cases that either the thing(s) that “Person X” didn’t like in “fighting game A - the game that isn’t liked as much” is also in “fighting game B - the fighting game that ‘Person X’ is enthusiastic about”, and functions the exact same way (i.e. - VF and DOA’s core fighting system, SkullGirls and MvC2’s system, etc).

By no means am I saying be an elitists or white knight “X game”. I’m simply saying approach the opinion(s) in a civil manner and discuss them in order to understand where they come from, and possibly come up with some form of resolve if applicable. Perhaps you may sway their opinion because it may not totally be a solid, fact-based opinion, or it may be, but they didn’t necessarily see why Kan-Ra needs scarabs for example. You might not even get the person to even bat an eye, and that’s cool. Just know you did your part and tried to be a bit understanding and level out with the person. Maybe they have a legitimate point that you wouldn’t have noticed if you didn’t discuss the topic with civility.

You can always simply ignore the online spiel and keep it moving, and fight on…

I was typing this well before @MDMMORNING posted this, and I didn’t realize it til after the fact lol…

Anyway, like he said:

1 Like

…and around and around we go… :cyclone:

1 Like